Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Karia posted:

Jrod, what is your opinion on this story about price gouging?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html

Are the people who are trying to profit off of the corona virus ok in your book? Keep in mind, the people mentioned in this article are not producers: their price gouging is not incentivizing any increase in supply. How should Amazon and Ebay have dealt with this?

Clearly the problem is that the government didn't step in and force Amazon to be an open market with traditional gunship diplomacy

The correct price of sanitiser is whatever the nearest idiot can be coerced and frightened into paying to stock up on it

But let's not lose sight of the prize here folks,

JRod, you said that New Zealand was Libertarian. Why did you say this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have a feeling jrod has realized just how badly he's hosed up on the New Zealand and it's gonna be awhile before he can either think of a justification or he believes it's been long enough we'll have forgotten.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somfin posted:

JRod, you said that New Zealand was Libertarian. Why did you say this?

Look, if we want the bottomless well of comedy that is the libertarian psyche, we're going to have to give him a pass on these unanswerable questions, like, "Are Nazis bad?" and "Why is everything you say demonstrably wrong?'

Also, he needs to bring more friends from whatever libertarian Utopia he came from. It's going to be a long time under self-quarantine, I need the laughs.

I guess, what I'm saying is, that we should start subsidizing libertarian entertainment ITT.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I guess, what I'm saying is, that we should start subsidizing libertarian entertainment ITT.

What kind of statist talk is this? If libertarians are more than willing to make fools of themselves for free, it would be immoral to provide them material compensation for it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What is the Libertarian opinion on QAnon?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

I have a feeling jrod has realized just how badly he's hosed up on the New Zealand and it's gonna be awhile before he can either think of a justification or he believes it's been long enough we'll have forgotten.

Oh, absolutely. I just want to make sure that he gets nailed to the wall with it when he decides to show up and start waffling on about some core concept again

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somfin posted:

Oh, absolutely. I just want to make sure that he gets nailed to the wall with it when he decides to show up and start waffling on about some core concept again

Look, I'm trying to go bird watching, and you are circling the area with an air-horn.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 15, 2020

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Somfin posted:

Look, I can tell you right now what his answer is, and it's honestly not very interesting. The list isn't trying to rank countries on how libertarian they are, it's ranking them on how free they are (this is actually true: the word libertarian does not appear in the body of the study.) Freedom is a nebulous, abstract concept, and all he wanted to do was demonstrate that countries that are generally thought of as "better" tend to be more free than countries which are generally thought of as "worse". The list is just supposed to show general trends, and the position of any single country on the list isn't very significant. When you accept that simple linear trend, it suggests that you can extrapolate out further to hypothetical countries which are even more free, and thus even better. According to his axioms, libertarianism is a state of perfect freedom (or as close as you can possibly get.) A country that's libertarian would be the most free, and therefore the best, according to that simple extrapolation.

Imagine that, but stretched out over ten times as many words. It's BS, of course, but you're not going to get anywhere by attacking single countries on the list. We should move on to more interesting, and less abstract, topics. The more concrete the arguments are, the less wiggle room there is for "first principles."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Karia posted:

Look, I can tell you right now what his answer is, and it's honestly not very interesting. The list isn't trying to rank countries on how libertarian they are, it's ranking them on how free they are (this is actually true: the word libertarian does not appear in the body of the study.) Freedom is a nebulous, abstract concept, and all he wanted to do was demonstrate that countries that are generally thought of as "better" tend to be more free than countries which are generally thought of as "worse". The list is just supposed to show general trends, and the position of any single country on the list isn't very significant. When you accept that simple linear trend, it suggests that you can extrapolate out further to hypothetical countries which are even more free, and thus even better. According to his axioms, libertarianism is a state of perfect freedom (or as close as you can possibly get.) A country that's libertarian would be the most free, and therefore the best, according to that simple extrapolation.

Imagine that, but stretched out over ten times as many words. It's BS, of course, but you're not going to get anywhere by attacking single countries on the list. We should move on to more interesting, and less abstract, topics. The more concrete the arguments are, the less wiggle room there is for "first principles."

Oh, I wasn't talking about New Zealand's position on the list, it was this part:

polymathy posted:

Especially the two countries at the very top of this list, New Zealand and Switzerland, come fairly close to a libertarian ideal in terms of their economic policies. Both have relatively low public debt and are very decentralized societies.

Those were his fuckin words, his interpretation of the list, his idea about New Zealand and its structure.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Mods please rename the thread to "Libertarians: Answer the questions about New Zealand, JRod"

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

JRod, how do you feel about watermelons grown in New Zealand?

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I love you all.

Also, I know my last post was low effort, but in my defense, I was running on three hours of sleep and potentially looking at being quarantined for corona-exposure. But now that I'm more awake, let's see if we can't polish my latest little sticking-point a bit more:

JRod, you claim that we cannot say that the entirety of America belonged to its indigenous peoples prior to or just after the arrival of Europeans.

Why can we not make such a claim?

By what reason do you make this assertion?

Or, if you like this better:

By what right could any European colonist lay any claim to land in the Americas?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TLM3101 posted:

By what right could any European colonist lay any claim to land in the Americas?

There is an important libertarian principle I believe we are all forgetting that perfectly explains the fair colonization of America:

"Move your feet, lose your seat."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This, but as an order rather than an action/consequence.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There is an important libertarian principle I believe we are all forgetting that perfectly explains the fair colonization of America:

I mean, I have a suspicion as to what the justification will be, but I\m curious to see just what flavour of it we'll get to see.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

This, but as an order rather than an action/consequence.

The action of moving one's seat causes the losing of one's seat. This is a common law acknowledged by even the most ignorant of children, ergo thus verily. Retort.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TLM3101 posted:

JRod, you claim that we cannot say that the entirety of America belonged to its indigenous peoples prior to or just after the arrival of Europeans.

"After all, by no rational standard could it be said that the Polish owned the entire country of Poland:godwinning: "

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TLM3101 posted:

Of course not, they didn't put any fences around it

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Of course not, they didn't put any fences around it

There was a significant lack of their labor ejaculated into the land.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How would that work with Australia? The original inhabitants mixed so much of their labor with the land that when the first Brits arrived they described it as a gigantic well tended country garden. Now that's been disrupted and it's on fire, maybe that's a case for giving it back.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

How would that work with Australia? The original inhabitants mixed so much of their labor with the land that when the first Brits arrived they described it as a gigantic well tended country garden.
I mean, that was the case with America too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't doubt that Native Americans mixed their labor with the land, but also a big chunk of the land would still have been inhabitable even if they hadn't. Also only the West Coast and some small parts of the South randomly self-incinerates because of this being interrupted. :ca:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

polymathy posted:

My point is that it would be very difficult, or impossible to prove that a privately-owned piece of property were stolen from American Indians 150 years ago or determine that a particular Indian today has a legitimate claim to the property.

It loving isn't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hills#20th_century_land_claims

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

It would be very difficult for JRod to personally do it, for various reading-related reasons, so he thinks that it would be difficult for any individual person to accomplish even any part of the task.

Turns out it's not all that hard for a government agency with lots of human hours to put toward the cause.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Also if you're going into the process throwing roadblock after roadblock into your own way for the express yet carefully hidden purpose of making sure it doesn't succeed, then yeah, of course it's going to be "hard" or "impossible despite our best efforts" :rolleyes:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Nearly all of the land in the united states is stolen and nearly every native person had their land stolen from their ancestors. Are you saying that if we can't pair up exactly who stole what from whom on an individual level, the onwership is now legitimate and no justice is required?

I have the perfect crime. I'm going to steal your TV. However, I'm also going to steal another TV from someone with the same model TV. Then, I'm going to mix them up so you can't tell which is which. I am now immune from all prosecution.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

Nearly all of the land in the united states is stolen and nearly every native person had their land stolen from their ancestors. Are you saying that if we can't pair up exactly who stole what from whom on an individual level, the onwership is now legitimate and no justice is required?

I have the perfect crime. I'm going to steal your TV. However, I'm also going to steal another TV from someone with the same model TV. Then, I'm going to mix them up so you can't tell which is which. I am now immune from all prosecution.
Look those TVs were stolen in the past, it was a different time, we must look forward and declare that taking TVs is wrong starting now. Now if you'll excuse me I need to set up my new TVs

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Weatherman posted:

Mods please rename the thread to "Libertarians: Answer the questions about New Zealand, JRod"

unfortunately the current title is too good

request denied

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Look those TVs were stolen in the past, it was a different time, we must look forward and declare that taking TVs is wrong starting now. Now if you'll excuse me I need to set up my new TVs

You can't seriously expect me to remember who I stole this TV from, can you? That means I get to keep it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

"Your honor, I would like to present my first evidence against the defendant. A loving painting showing him stealing TVs":

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If I'm a landlord and I change the tenancy contract to say "the tenant agrees that I now own their TV" and their choice is between being kicked out and the time cost of finding new accommodation or losing ownership of their TV, how many libertarian points do I get?

If I do the same but I'm an elected authority how many do I lose?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Panfilo posted:

So how does Galt's Gulch handle a pandemic?
Mutual exchange. Of gunfire.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Further cementing New Zealand's credentials as a libertarian paradise, the government just took the pandemic as an excuse to permanently increase the unemployment benefit by 25 bucks a week

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/wongkarwax/status/1239733301562298368?s=21

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

It's over 18?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

It's over 18?

:golfclap:

Edit: IDGI either, but I like this answer.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/ron-paul/the-coronavirus-hoax/

no quotes. no commentary. this is Dr. Ron Paul, a loving medical doctor, saying it's a hoax, nothing to worry about, only killed 100 people LUL.

loving christ.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Golbez posted:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/ron-paul/the-coronavirus-hoax/

no quotes. no commentary. this is Dr. Ron Paul, a loving medical doctor, saying it's a hoax, nothing to worry about, only killed 100 people LUL.

loving christ.

Ron Paul finally steps up to kill you’re parents

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For a libertarian he is very distrustful of the market's ability to make the correct decision and the market seems to believe it's real lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OwlFancier posted:

For a libertarian he is very distrustful of the market's ability to make the correct decision and the market seems to believe it's real lol.

The markets are worries about the government's over-reaction, obviously.