Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Stop with all the theories or the writers'll change the plot halfway through the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
LOL forever if the "simulation in a simulation" line turns out to be a Dallas-style out for the whole series to be in someone's head.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also wait, everyone is saying it's a mystery who is in Charlotte's body. I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something here but why isn't it taken that Dolores is still in Charlotte and she put someone else in her old body?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Entropic posted:

I feel like this bodes poorly for the season lol

Westworld isn't that hard to follow. You just have to watch every episode twice and when it still doesn't make sense ask the internet

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

fawning deference posted:

Also wait, everyone is saying it's a mystery who is in Charlotte's body. I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something here but why isn't it taken that Dolores is still in Charlotte and she put someone else in her old body?

This is gonna be the thing where that's the obvious interpretation but they go "oh poo poo people on the internet figured it out" and do something else way dumber.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
With the covid-19 epidemic, they can't exactly do a bunch of reshoots to gently caress over reddit.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Wasn't hot at all on season 2 but I legitimately love the cyberpunk worldbuilding this time around.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

At least westworld being in the ocean settles the "It's on mars" theory

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m going to guess the giant macguffin machine has also figured out people’s “code” on its own which is why the shiny police state kind of works? Or Charlotte thinks that by dumping everyone’s Delos data into she could take over without the humans noticing.

The trailers have been setting it up as team Dolores/Jessie vs. Team Bernard/Charlotte but I hope there’s more to it than that.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Entropic posted:

This is gonna be the thing where that's the obvious interpretation but they go "oh poo poo people on the internet figured it out" and do something else way dumber.

But nobody has mentioned the obvious at all as being a possibility so I thought I was missing something. Seems like the real mystery is who is in Dolores' body.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

With the covid-19 epidemic, they can't exactly do a bunch of reshoots to gently caress over reddit.

I floated the reshoot thing last thread and learned they didn't do as much as I thought, or as close to air as I thought, basically not responding to Reddit, like I thought

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Elendil004 posted:

In the not too distant future we have the technology to turn small fishing boats into space ships.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Was there anyone thinking it was on Mars? Seemed like everyone assumed it was either in the ocean, or they terraformed some empty plot of government land.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Don't forget the "shrunk down in size so that the entire Westworld is on the table in the control room of the park".

Max posted:

Watch this turn out to be an elaborate deep cover adaptation of "The Culture" series and this will have actually literally all been a VR dream someone had on a GSV before waking up.

Oh GDI the AI is literally a mind, isn't it.

That's Mind with a capital 'M', thank you.

The GSU Of Course I Still Love You is coming to punish you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

United Realm of England and Wales? :lol:

KoRMaK posted:

I finished the ep and i was not moved. The show is a husk of what made it stand out in its first season. i noticed that the music also seemed to keep being too much too early. just a lot of *bwaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA*

i disagree

The 3 seasons of westworlds are different shows entirely so far. None of them can live up to the first one just due to cast alone so don't expect it to.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't help wondering if "Special Circumstances" is a nod to Iain M. Banks.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The worldbuilding is neat but I really don't want to see another season of terminator Dolores killing all humans but with the surprise of human sidekick tagging along. I'm still on board to watch it with the missus each Sunday, but I really hope it doesn't culminate in some weird rear end sci fi katana battle between terminator savior Maeve and terminator devil Dolores. I mean I guess we've never seen the two directly fight one another, so I guess if they get that outta the way no idea what the last two seasons will hold.

She said that this episode and the show kinda gives her Lost vibes. I never watched the show, but she's told me that it was incredibly good and then near the end got aggressively stupid, to the point it poisoned the experience. Was it like Dexter ending levels of stupid or something further beyond?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Servaetes posted:

Was it like Dexter ending levels of stupid or something further beyond?

BSG

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I never watched the show, but she's told me that it was incredibly good and then near the end got aggressively stupid, to the point it poisoned the experience. Was it like Dexter ending levels of stupid or something further beyond?
[/quote]

You really shouldn't have brought this up

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The fact that the first episode is not jumping around to different timelines for Dolores and Bernard is already a huge improvement. The after the credits scene with Maeve in Reichworld was disappointing. I’d much rather see her charting her own course through the real world instead of spending all season escaping robot nazis to get out of the park

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

But then something happened that The Ring did not intend--it was found by the unlikeliest of creatures...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If somebody else is in Dolores' body then why does she keep reminding everyone about how they met her in the park

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

If somebody else is in Dolores' body then why does she keep reminding everyone about how they met her in the park

Because it's still Dolores' body and it's a good way to gently caress with the person.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Servaetes posted:

She said that this episode and the show kinda gives her Lost vibes. I never watched the show, but she's told me that it was incredibly good and then near the end got aggressively stupid, to the point it poisoned the experience. Was it like Dexter ending levels of stupid or something further beyond?

Lost was airing during the big writers' guild strike in.. 09? 10? and the season that aired that year really took a loving tumble, as did everything else promising on TV at the time (looking at you, Heroes)

Once the strike ended, it got... better? But the whole thing just felt stupid and up its own rear end and just kinda throwing out MYSTERIES for the sake of MYSTERIES, a lot of WW Season 2.

I'm hoping that WW Season 3 recovers more in the manner of Heroes season 4 where it kind of dropped all the baggage it had and went in a new direction and told a straightforward story and was better for it.

Dexter is a mess that we may never see replicated in our lifetimes.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
lmfao this show is dumb as gently caress and i'm here for it

it's amazing how much leeway people will give this show, but i maeve is about to use THE WORLD in nazi germany so i guess i'm to stay

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the dialogue on this show is so bad. I turned it off before the post-credit scene there's a nazi germany world?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sockser posted:

Lost was airing during the big writers' guild strike in.. 09? 10? and the season that aired that year really took a loving tumble, as did everything else promising on TV at the time (looking at you, Heroes)

Heroes came back and it was an even bigger mess. Not even in a fun way.

I can hate watch a show, but I draw the line at pity watching one.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MechaSeinfeld posted:

the dialogue on this show is so bad. I turned it off before the post-credit scene there's a nazi germany world?

Yeah, looks like some place that you play a resistance fighter against nazis or something. From the look of the preview it'll be a brief bit just showing that Maeve has been recycled as a character in that world before either Bernard or mystery rich puppet master man pull her out and send her to hunt down Delores.

One thing that's struck me about the trailers with Maeve is I don't really understand why she's so willing to just do what some rich dude tells her to. I feel like I'm forgetting something between her and Delores that would make her want to hunt her down... the end of the last series is a bit of a blur to be honest but I didn't thing Maeve really did much at the end besides bottling her escape.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

basically, they both achieved sentience or w/e and one likes humans and one doesn't, so they must fight

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

hobbesmaster posted:

United Realm of England and Wales? :lol:

"Realm" is just another word for a kingdom. This looks like it's republic ( insha'Allah)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holy hell I don't know they managed to salvage the crap-fire that was all of season 2, but they did! It'll be interesting to see if it lasts.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Was there anyone thinking it was on Mars? Seemed like everyone assumed it was either in the ocean, or they terraformed some empty plot of government land.

There was some guessing it may be in space early in season 1, but we've been told multiple times since then that it's an island.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Heroes came back and it was an even bigger mess. Not even in a fun way.

I can hate watch a show, but I draw the line at pity watching one.

Oh, don't get me wrong-- I think Heroes season 2 was during the writer's strike and it was bad, and then season 3 was post-strike and it was loving dreadful

And then season 4, after everyone had stopped watching, they simplified it down into like a Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants story and it's pretty good.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Guys, I think I need some help finding my eyes. I think they rolled out of my head at some point.

It might have been during the firefight in downtown L.A., where 3 ostensibly trained gunmen couldn't hit a woman walking (not running even) out in the open.

gently caress this show is show bad, its beautiful and I'm curious enough to want to see how it plays out, but its so loving bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Westworld over the last two seasons has always had two episodes of story and plot stretched over an entire season, and I expect this one won’t be any different.

I was also waiting for Delores to go full-on terminator, since she clearly could, and Bernard did a little bit, but it never happened.

I continue to hang around for the beautiful scenes, hoping for that drip feed of plot and story to happen

Sometimes I suspect this guy is right on point

https://twitter.com/cnet/status/1238316941397209089?s=21

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought the existence of the 'do crimes' app indicated that Caleb was in a simulation, because i thought he was an ex-con on parole or something, but I don't know.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
I'm gonna assume that Delores is double-sleeving, which is punishable by death.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Westworld over the last two seasons has always had two episodes of story and plot stretched over an entire season, and I expect this one won’t be any different.

I was also waiting for Delores to go full-on terminator, since she clearly could, and Bernard did a little bit, but it never happened.

I continue to hang around for the beautiful scenes, hoping for that drip feed of plot and story to happen

Sometimes I suspect this guy is right on point

https://twitter.com/cnet/status/1238316941397209089?s=21

who is this off brand Limmy that CNET is using to get out of paying real Limmy??

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Who's nerd kid's daddy, anyway? Seems like this is a new faction introduced with season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Who's nerd kid's daddy, anyway? Seems like this is a new faction introduced with season 3.
Daddy invented super--Google, which became the undisputed overlord of the global economy.