Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

Whoever suggested watching Tolarian College videos at 1.25x speed, thank you. Why does he speak so slowly in his videos? When I see him have an actual conversation, he's totally different.

:eyepop: 2x or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
.25, actually, really soak in that mtgo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I watch them at regular speed. fite me

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Redjakk posted:

Got a box for a 5 person draft and...

Someone at our draft today snapped one of those off.

I drafted 5 color green and my only hmmm loss was to the guy with skullclamp and sol ring lmao

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Got me a Mana Crypt, Scourge of the Throne, and Teferi's Protection in my box so I'm pretty stoked

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/klug_alters/status/1239220572673830912

true derangement

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

forgot elixir of immortality

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Psychatog, Thieving Magpie, Snapcaster Mage, Morphling, Meloku are what I see offhand

what are the other references? I know I'll feel dumb when they get pointed out to me but hey

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

Psychatog, Thieving Magpie, Snapcaster Mage, Morphling, Meloku are what I see offhand

what are the other references? I know I'll feel dumb when they get pointed out to me but hey

nah that's it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

Besides the Island?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

That's extremely cute and Klug is a treasure.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I might start social media distancing and defriend anyone who posts that they're going to a Magic tournament. People suck.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Do these Mystery Booster cards smell like BO to anyone else? I picked one up because I'm not going to be drafting in person or anything and opened it just now at work.

Is it trying to give me the LGS experience at home?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

odiv posted:

Do these Mystery Booster cards smell like BO to anyone else? I picked one up because I'm not going to be drafting in person or anything and opened it just now at work.

Is it trying to give me the LGS experience at home?

Haha I thought the same thing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is there gonna be any way to tell Mystery cards from the original printing?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there gonna be any way to tell Mystery cards from the original printing?

There’s a tiny symbol on the lower left corner of every mystery booster reprint

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Elyv posted:

Pretty sure that’s a rat tail sticking out for Pack Rat? E: Apparently that’s morphling, wow.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I might start social media distancing and defriend anyone who posts that they're going to a Magic tournament. People suck.

I've got people in my social circle bragging about going to 7 Mystery Booster drafts between Friday and today. I don't trust nerd hygiene at the best of times.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I asked in the discord but figured I'd throw it up in here too. Because I'm planning on staying away from my lgs / paper MTG for the foreseeable future, I'm thinking of spending a bit more on either modo or Arena. I've been playing a lot of standard UW control on Arena recently (which I've managed on only spend $45 on), and am tempted to drop a $100 more on gems to buy the Historic Anthologies and packs. The alternative is purchasing an inexpensive pioneer deck for modo (probably Selesnya Enchantress but possibly sram or another aggro deck). Any thoughts on which is better?

Currently leaning towards Arena, but I also just built Selesnya Enchantress in paper and haven't been able to play it yet, so got that itch. I think I've seen some Arena Enchantress builds though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Pretty sure the consensus is to get the specific historic cards you need and not to buy the whole thing.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

If that's the case then I would probably just spend all the gems on packs and massively build my collection/WCs. I read into anything one way or the other on it but I could see how that's true.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

GoutPatrol posted:

Besides the Island?

Nice idea but the background land should have been a Celestial Colonnade

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mef989 posted:

I asked in the discord but figured I'd throw it up in here too. Because I'm planning on staying away from my lgs / paper MTG for the foreseeable future, I'm thinking of spending a bit more on either modo or Arena. I've been playing a lot of standard UW control on Arena recently (which I've managed on only spend $45 on), and am tempted to drop a $100 more on gems to buy the Historic Anthologies and packs. The alternative is purchasing an inexpensive pioneer deck for modo (probably Selesnya Enchantress but possibly sram or another aggro deck). Any thoughts on which is better?

Currently leaning towards Arena, but I also just built Selesnya Enchantress in paper and haven't been able to play it yet, so got that itch. I think I've seen some Arena Enchantress builds though.

Have you looked into deck rental services on mtgo? You could sign up for a month, the B/W sram deck is cheap enough that you could probably get the whole thing with the lowest subscription tier. Also if you've never used it before the mtgo interface is pretty clunky.

Other than that, you know better than us what playstyle you'd prefer and how much your money is worth. If you're going to get into historic, make sure to identify the decks you want to play and make sure the anthologies card set is better value than just cracking some packs and redeeming the wildcards on what you want.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Would also strongly consider getting good at limited rather than spending money on packs.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Would also strongly consider getting good at limited rather than spending money on packs.

Are there any good sources on how to draft well? I'm pretty miserable at it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mef989 posted:

lords of limited and limited resources are good podcasts on the format. another good way to get some tips is to download a tracker for arena that records your drafts, then post a draft log + your final build either here or the arena thread

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Mef989 posted:

Slam through draftsims with the ratings turned on until you know the cards well enough that if someone handed you and random booster you could immediately be like “here are the 3 cards that are even worth considering”. This takes less time than you think - just do lots of super quick fake drafts until you recognize the good cards.

Make sure 11-17 of your 40 cards are creatures and 17-18 are land. Play two colors. These aren’t always totally right, but they are basically never wrong.

That will get you from a 1 to like a 7 out of 10 pretty fast.

Just do that and focus on playing your pile well, you will end up with adequate decks. Your deck won’t be optimal but if you can at least guarantee you’re taking good cards and not bad ones (even if they aren’t the best cards), the final product will be playable.

And getting to 3-5 wins regularly in a ranked draft will make your in game currency go a lot further.

Then things like Limited Resources or Lords of Limited can help you decipher how to get the rest of the way there, how to maximize your opportunities, why the good cards are good, etc.

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 16, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’d watch some Ben Stark draft videos. He’s a very good player, but he’s also just good at explaining his picks and plays (the latter of which sometimes gets him into trouble because of Arena’s timers).

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

so has everyone been playing arena because of coronavirus reasons? If you want to play brawl without paying a ton of money or on wednesdays only, Arenabrawl.net handles matchmaking for you which is pretty sweet. Also it lets you play Historic Brawl, which is just 1000 times more fun

Historic brawl is starting to be a pretty good compromise between brawl and commander. The 2 anthologies help, of course. I made mono-white heliod, and then found out its apparently a real commander archetype.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Slam through draftsims with the ratings turned on until you know the cards well enough that if someone handed you and random booster you could immediately be like “here are the 3 cards that are even worth considering”. This takes less time than you think - just do lots of super quick fake drafts until you recognize the good cards.

Make sure 11-17 of your 40 cards are creatures and 17-18 are land. Play two colors. These aren’t always totally right, but they are basically never wrong.

That will get you from a 1 to like a 7 out of 10 pretty fast.

Just do that and focus on playing your pile well, you will end up with adequate decks. Your deck won’t be optimal but if you can at least guarantee you’re taking good cards and not bad ones (even if they aren’t the best cards), the final product will be playable.

And getting to 3-5 wins regularly in a ranked draft will make your in game currency go a lot further.

Then things like Limited Resources or Lords of Limited can help you decipher how to get the rest of the way there, how to maximize your opportunities, why the good cards are good, etc.

so.....

What do you pick? (note the pack/pick)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lmao at rating basic forest up because it's on-colour

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
basic lands are very good

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I would probably speculate on the Trawler but not end up playing it unless I found like 3 pieces of fixing in the last few picks.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I get your point, but honestly? the dawn evangel would actually be real strong in that deck. Lots of auras (missing a sentinels eyes though) and Alesid, hero, and vipers to recur with it

That’s why the base score is visible though - once you think you know the good cards you hide the scores and pick out “best overall card, best card in my colors”

Despite some obvious flaws it’s the fastest way I know of to get situated in limited

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, honestly looking at the deck I'd be leaning Evangel myself. You're going to play it and it's going to be useful. Dream Trawler is going to close out some games that you'd have won anyway, and lose you some games when you can't play your one or two drops because you're drawing islands instead of lands that actually cast your spells.

I definitely wouldn't be taking a third Moss Viper here though.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Looking at that list of cards picked before, I'd actually be tempted to pick up the Bronze Sword. You're not hurting for bodies to carry it, it helps you turn on your Hornbeetles, and it's a way to assure all those tiny nerds already in your pile have a way to remain relevant later in the game. That equip cost is real, but considering the pile of low-power creatures in your lists I think one Sword might be appreciated.

That said, a lot of that is just... Dawn Evangel just never impressing me with it's impact. You have possibly the best case scenario for it (two Moss Vipers, two Hornbeetles, an Alsaed and a ton of enchantments to put on stuff) but I'm still not sold on it being better then Sword in your deck because Sword gives you a kind of reach Dawn Evangel just doesn't. That list doesn't need more tiny nerds coming back, it needs more ways to actually make those tiny nerds relevant on turn six. That said, Swords tend to go late, so if I'd seen a Sword earlier in this pack, I'd scoop the Evangel here and try to wheel another Sword later.

Chariot's a style pick but it does a lot of work against decks lacking big bodies. I've often speculated for one on the sideboard of aggro decks and brought it in frequently against some combination of white, red, and blue and been pleasantly surprised how often it just needs to eat a removal spell of some form because it basically reads 'Tap a Creature: deal 3 damage to target player unless they sacrifice a creature.' I wouldn't start it in the main, but some decks just hate seeing it.

Ignore the Trawler. It is the best card in the format but unless the cards off the bottom of the list include at least five different ways that also don't warp your deck into the nonsense realm to make Blue Mana you're just not running this in your aggressive-leaning W/G deck.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I tend to over-value creatures, especially "activators" even in casual constructed.

I'm really new though, I also don't think enough about card advantage, deck and graveyard size, etc.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Jerry Bindle posted:

basic lands are very good

they're amazing

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah I tend to over-value creatures, especially "activators" even in casual constructed.

I'm really new though, I also don't think enough about card advantage, deck and graveyard size, etc.

Fair enough. Level 1 on equipment is that unless it looks pushed as hell, equipment is usually bad in most draft decks. In most modern sets, you could never ever consider picking up common equipment during the entire life of a set and there's a good chance you'd never be wrong. Even now, if you had more time in the draft, and weren't in the back part of pack 3, I'd prefer looking for more combat tricks then running a 4-mana +2/+0.

That said, that specific pile of cards has a lot of small guys and wheel-spinning enchantments with not enough payoff for running them to want, say, all three copies of Setessan Tactics (or even two.). Something that can make your dudes hit harder that survives a run-in with a removal spell or prison enchantment would help what's visible on that list do work in games that go longer. If you're sitting on a pile of green beef below what the screen's showing, y'know, nevermind, but what I can see draws me to Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TCGplayer's fulfillment employees decided to form a union and management has refused to recognize it.

https://twitter.com/tcgunion/status/1239935219840561152

https://twitter.com/tcgunion/status/1239963270796042244

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 17, 2020