Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The only thing I remember about Tom Brandi was that worked-shoot angle where he rejected his fake Italian gimmick and started wrestling "as himself," which went for like 3 months before he disappeared from the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
He had a mini feud with Mark Mero in early 98 which lead to nothing.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Canada vs USA angles were the best, are we ever gonna get another one? AEW has many Canadians

Go :canada:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What was the source of the locker room heat between Kevin Steen and Davey Richards? I remember consistently hearing they legit disliked each other and their feud was partly to capitalize on it

I know there was a shoot video on highspots but I no longer subscribe and never watched their face off thing.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 14, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I don't know the actual answer but I bet part of it is that Davey is incredibly unlikeable in general

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
are there any reports about the WWE trying to sign any Japanese talent in the 90s? Guys like Muta, Kobashi, Misawa, Chono, etc

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Low Desert Punk posted:

are there any reports about the WWE trying to sign any Japanese talent in the 90s? Guys like Muta, Kobashi, Misawa, Chono, etc

I remember them trying to sign Kobashi in 96 or close.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Muta and Chono probably would have been loyal to NWA/WCW/NJPW given the working relationship

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WWE had Jinsei Shinzaki in the 90s and did nothing with him except showcase to a young me that WWE's wrestlers were almost all super lame and lovely by comparison.

They also had Taka and Kai En Tai DX and made them jokes who chopped off penises.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 17, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Numero6 posted:

I remember them trying to sign Kobashi in 96 or close.

I think it was 97/98, around the time they wanted to do a deal with All Japan. Baba wouldn't agree to the money they wanted to bring in WWF stars and told them no one knows who WWF wrestlers are in Japan. The WWF reps thought this was ridiculous because they saw Austin all over the magazines that week, since it was right after Rumble 98 and the Tyson angle.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I am morbidly curious how 98 WWF would have used Kenta Kobashi

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I think it was 97/98, around the time they wanted to do a deal with All Japan. Baba wouldn't agree to the money they wanted to bring in WWF stars and told them no one knows who WWF wrestlers are in Japan. The WWF reps thought this was ridiculous because they saw Austin all over the magazines that week, since it was right after Rumble 98 and the Tyson angle.

i would suggest AJPW send them Wolf Hawkfield as a joke but Wolf Hawkfield was far too important for that

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

I am morbidly curious how 98 WWF would have used Kenta Kobashi

They would've had Kenta literally chop Val Venis' penis off with his hand, so that would've been cool.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Alaois posted:

i would suggest AJPW send them Wolf Hawkfield as a joke but Wolf Hawkfield was far too important for that

hi is this telling me that ajpw had a guy use a virtua fighter gimmick

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shiksa posted:

hi is this telling me that ajpw had a guy use a virtua fighter gimmick

no of course not

they had two, they also had Jeffry McWild for a bit. Wolf Hawkfield lasted a bit longer than he did.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Benne posted:

The only thing I remember about Tom Brandi was that worked-shoot angle where he rejected his fake Italian gimmick and started wrestling "as himself," which went for like 3 months before he disappeared from the company.

Is this Russo’s favorite type of angle? Someone rejecting their lovely gimmick? He also did it with Dustin Runnels twice, and Beaver Cleavage, off the top of my head.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is this Russo’s favorite type of angle? Someone rejecting their lovely gimmick? He also did it with Dustin Runnels twice, and Beaver Cleavage, off the top of my head.

It might well be, though I remember reading that in Beaver Cleavage's case he was more or less forced into it as the gimmick was really, really terrible and everyone else in the company hated it. He managed to make up for it though, by giving Chaz Warrington a wife-beater gimmick not long afterwards...

... or was she just being a typical woman and faking it the whole time??? A very thought-provoking storyline.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alaois posted:

no of course not

they had two, they also had Jeffry McWild for a bit. Wolf Hawkfield lasted a bit longer than he did.

I hope the guys movelist is accurate! Gimme that shoulder charge, giant swing, kicks to the midriff, and elbows that don't touch the opponent but do massive damage!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Was The Rock turning heel at Survivor Series 98 a good idea at the time? Seems he was mad over as a face already.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Was The Rock turning heel at Survivor Series 98 a good idea at the time? Seems he was mad over as a face already.

Yeah, feuding with Foley and Austin was better than whatever the number 2 face would have been doing at the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

It can't be his favourite type of angle because nobody calls a woman a whore and assaults her. But he loved worked shoots.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

At the time it was Vince's way of redoing the Montreal Screwjob as fiction that was under his control. It also led to the hugely successful Mankind / Rock feud, and ultimately to Rock/Austin at Wrestlemania 15, all of which did very good business.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

there's nothing more Russo than someone coming out and saying "all the rest of this show is fake but this bit's real"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

It's honestly impressive that Vince Russo was active and prominent in the wrestling business for two decades and he never learned how it works

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

It can't be his favourite type of angle because nobody calls a woman a whore and assaults her. But he loved worked shoots.

He mentioned Beaver, so yes they did.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I mostly absorb AEW content through WOR/B&V so I’m a little confused about the Tony Schiavone/Starbucks running joke. Help me out, questions thread!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Karmine posted:

I mostly absorb AEW content through WOR/B&V so I’m a little confused about the Tony Schiavone/Starbucks running joke. Help me out, questions thread!

He worked there for a while and now Britt Baker teases him about it

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Yeah, Tony just likes to work. And Starbucks actually offers some decent benefits afaik

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

THIS IS THE GREATEST SOY HAZELNUT LATTE IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Were Kota and Kenny actually lovers, or was it just queerbaiting?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We don't know Tyson Smith or Ibushi Kota's sexual orientation. The Golden :nyan: Lovers are aces who express their love for one another through wrestling.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think kenny is fairly open about being bi

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

All we really know is that Kenny is bisexual and Kota is Kota and they are very close. Whether they were literally loving or not, they've never said. I'd not have called the Golden Lovers queerbaiting but gently caress do I know?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

All we really know is that Kenny is bisexual and Kota is Kota and they are very close. Whether they were literally loving or not, they've never said. I'd not have called the Golden Lovers queerbaiting but gently caress do I know?
I mean, it's kind of the definition of queer baiting. You put enough out there that you can get points for queer representation in media, but you never confirm it because there'd be blowback.

That's just what the expression means. It already is that. My question is, was it just that, and it appears it hasn't been confirmed either way.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

IIRC it's one of those situations where being open won't hurt Kenny but being open could hurt Ibushi. It is very definite that Kenny felt something though because he'll start crying when talking about how they had to split up.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I mean, it's kind of the definition of queer baiting. You put enough out there that you can get points for queer representation in media, but you never confirm it because there'd be blowback.

That's just what the expression means. It already is that. My question is, was it just that, and it appears it hasn't been confirmed either way.

Weird inquiry all around.

If you've already decided it was at least "just" that by definition (which I disagree with, but whatever), why do you care if it was more? Frankly, I'm a little surprised it was allowed to be as forward-facing as it was, given the Japanese market.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I thought the TSN documentary made it pretty clear that they weren't actually dating but didn't want to come out and say that because it would ruin the story for so many people. Kenny had the bi flag in his last Wrestle Kingdom tron though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's not queerbaiting if two gay actors are not actually dating

Anyway Kenny is the world champion of my heart.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

forkboy84 posted:

They were close but aren't anymore: Kenny loving him out of some merch money in 2018 didn't exactly help their relationship, nor indeed Kenny's relationship with New Japan. There are reasons why as soon as they left Ibushi, after years of being this freelancer with no fixed ties and who always wanted to have the ability to leave and go do weird poo poo on a whim, ended up signing a "lifetime contract" with New Japan - its not just them not wanting him on a contract before now since they've wanted him for loving years; its almost seemed to be a reaction to him really not liking the offer he got from AEW and in response just going with New Japan who offered a stronger push and who he seems to trust a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Japanese wrestling still insists on guys maintaining kayfabe to a degree. Some wrestlers like Tana will ride the line pretty close so he can air whatever real life grievances he has as part of the story of the match but in general they play it pretty straight in the media.

So really we will never know for sure. Kenny now that he's wrestling out the west might go into the story but Kenny is a bit of a carny himself and what he says should be taken with a pinch of salt.

However there has been rumours that Kenny was dating Hikaru Shida at least for a time and she did sign with AEW so take that as you will. Its not easy to get the private life information on Japanese wrestlers. Especially the women. They keep it pretty quiet