Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Everyone who hasn't had their summer internship that they've been looking forward to for over year - and thus a way to pay for grad school - cancelled, take 2 steps forward.

Not so fast, me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I didn’t think BYU-Idaho would be the first place to go full Mad Max but here we are.

Got sent home to work remote today. Going to have nothing to do beyond maybe edit or translate a few more brochures assuring British customers they are not likely to get the roni using our products.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
The cast of big brother doesn't know about roni yet and no one knows quite how to break it to them

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Shart?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Missed the #deznat tag on that post. It is basically a dogwhistle to identify as an LDS quasi-Nazi (or full Nazi).

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Xenocides posted:

Missed the #deznat tag on that post. It is basically a dogwhistle to identify as an LDS quasi-Nazi (or full Nazi).

what on earth is a deznat. i grew up in utah so i feel like i should know about this thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im guessing deseret nationalist

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bomrek posted:

The cast of big brother doesn't know about roni yet and no one knows quite how to break it to them

They might not. When 9/11 happened there was back and forth about letting them know even though one of the contestants had their cousin die. They finally did, but with the barest amount of info possible.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Is that goon who gave everyone Mad Max nicknames a few years ago doing gonna do a new thread in honor of the current apocalypse?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Imagine how the world will look in a thousand years, after the abandoned big brother contestants finally escaped the house and entered a barren wasteland that they had to repopulate.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Just realized probably every summer county fair won't happen this year. And, well, summer in general.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

things you can do in the summer that you can still do
-drink beer in a park with less than 5 friends
-ride bikes with less than five friends an drink beer
-have a BBQ less than 5 friends and drink beer
-have five friend round robin beer drinking competition
-go to the beach and get tanned and drunk on beer with five friends
-drink a bunch of beer and have a 5 person circle jerk

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

numberoneposter posted:

things you can do in the summer that you can still do
-drink beer in a park with less than 5 friends
-ride bikes with less than five friends an drink beer
-have a BBQ less than 5 friends and drink beer
-have five friend round robin beer drinking competition
-go to the beach and get tanned and drunk on beer with five friends
-drink a bunch of beer and have a 5 person circle jerk

Can i just drink beer if I have no friends?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

as long as you are drinking for five

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Picking your 5 is going to be harder than picking your top 8 friends on myspace

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

dick wizard posted:

I work for a big healthcare supply chain company. Our supply chain is fine and we're fully operational. I'll let you all know when our trucks stop running so you can freak out at the appropriate time.

every kind of mask is on backorder so I've seen a huge increase in freaking out at work (hospital) which is making me freak out

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Beachcomber posted:

Target 11:28pm

2yo girl: Corona VI-rus! Corona VI-rus!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

numberoneposter posted:

thats actually a separate but totally unrelated policy that trump pushed through recently. he actually banned shredded cheese with the intention of making america grate again.
:discourse:

We Are All Gonna Die: Making America Grate Again

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Telsa Cola posted:

Consider us shitposters your friends and we're already a couple beers in. Cheers!

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Other fun things you can do while surviving the summer of apocalypse:
- loot a burnt-out farmhouse for non-exploded cans of carrots, failing your search while cutting yourself on a jagged nail
- partake in drinking some pond water out of a galosh that you've wrestled away from a stray farm mutt
- walk another 10 kilometers across an infinitely-fallow field in the scorching July sun
- hide behind a ridge to watch a group of 5 survivors have an argument and after couple loud bangs see only three of them leave
- acquire a septic infection from the cut on your leg earlier and spend next three days slowly dehydrating to death under a lone willow tree in Arkansas

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

Back in late January I flew cross-country for a 3-day family visit, departing from SeaTac and arriving at Cleveland International airport. As soon as I returned I came down with chills, fever, weakness, and severe lung congestion. My breathing sounded like an old accordion wheezing. The sensation was like being in of those CSB videos where workers are trapped in a space filled with inert gas like nitrogen: I could breathe but it didn't feel like I was getting any oxygen. I constantly coughed up phlegm that alternated between green and bloody. I couldn't eat or keep food down and ultimately lost ten pounds in a week just lying in bed. I stayed there for two more weeks recuperating.

So...I'm seriously beginning to wonder if I caught an early case of the 'roni. :tinfoil:

I've read that a CT scan showing "ground glass" lung damage would prove it, but I'm uninsured and don't have the money for that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

casual reminder that there were gangs of white supremacists who took advantage of Katrina to shoot as many black people as they could under the rationalization of "shooting looters on sight." the state did nothing to stop them or bring them to justice afterword, and corporate news largely didn't notice during or after. the only resistance the white supremacists faced was community self-defense groups hastily formed by various volunteer clinics that were working in the area. if they didn't have guns they would have been helpless.

learn to handle a gun safely, learn to shoot effectively, and if you feel safe doing so, arm yourself. and if you can't or won't do any of that, organize with people who have.

and above all else, organize mutual aid in your communities. the state will not protect you.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

In all seriousness I feel so sorry for you amerigoons out there. The US always seemed like one major disruption away from collapse due to absolutely no safety nets, and seeing this stuff finally hit is heart breaking. On top of that you've got maybe the most incompetent government in the world right now for this, and half a populace that has been molded to believe the stupidest take in any moment.

I truly hope you'll get trough this with minimal problems.

Update from berlin: the City is closing down more or less, the german government has demanded all shops except for essentials to close, people shouldn't go out if there's gonna be crowds and for the most part people seem to take this extremely serious now. Almost everyone I know who can is working from home now, and as I had (and still have) a slight flu my job is taking no chances and letting me work from home too. On the positive side people seem to be pretty calm and except for hamsterkäufe there's not been major disruptions.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Went to the barber after work today for one last chance at something kind of normal. They're not shut down yet but they expect they will be within a few days. The shop had been dead all day, not surprising in light of the news in Canada.

Even at the barber shop they were playing news. I've never seen them play anything other than sports. We all talked about how surreal this day has been and how we're all preparing to hunker down for months and emerge in a society that will not be the same. Normally we're talking video games or food over haircuts, everything felt different. It is different.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

Imagine how the world will look in a thousand years, after the abandoned big brother contestants finally escaped the house and entered a barren wasteland that they had to repopulate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZE39Q7yPow

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
wearafuckingmask.com

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Winnie the poo poo posted:

every kind of mask is on backorder so I've seen a huge increase in freaking out at work (hospital) which is making me freak out

You can buy them from the darknet markets.
(seriously)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Which goons have this, yet? Leaving it goons to fail to break the street date.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Here in the UK, the BBC have just advised pregnant women to self isolate as it's unknown how Covid-19 affects foetuses in the womb

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That big brother stuff is wild. The people kicked off the show are going to have their minds blown at how things have gone off the rails

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ilmucche posted:

That big brother stuff is wild. The people kicked off the show are going to have their minds blown at how things have gone off the rails
like ripping off a bandaid, they may have the clearest insight

here we are on the outside boiling our frogs

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

numberoneposter posted:

here we are on the outside boiling our frogs

I mean, I've got a ton of pasta and rice before it comes to that.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The local stores have started to ration goods to prevent hoarders from decimating the shelves.

Production wise, there're no shortages. But we're still out of TP because some people are just loving retarded and have zero sense of comradiere.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ilmucche posted:

Apparently the Canadians have been told about the news and none of them cared enough to leave the house, Germans are getting told tonight

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Here in the UK, the BBC have just advised pregnant women to self isolate as it's unknown how Covid-19 affects foetuses in the womb

I’m designing a birth card for my friends baby atm. His girlfriend is due in may. She’s... errr... a bit anxious.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

anatomi posted:

The local stores have started to ration goods to prevent hoarders from decimating the shelves.

Production wise, there're no shortages. But we're still out of TP because some people are just loving retarded and have zero sense of comradiere.

If it's anything like HK, the first few weeks after the panic buying sucks, but once the supply lines starts going again you will find all kinds of sanitation poo poo everywhere. Fashion stores selling those fake "Virus Shut Out" lanyards, confectionaries and mobile accessories selling hand sanitizers on the side, plenty of TP and face masks in the pharmacies at double the markup pre-COVID. It was a bit scary in those first few weeks, not even being able to find soap anywhere and having to import that poo poo from Amazon.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im going to start hording twoonies

see in canada we have a $1 coin with a loon on it so naturally we call it a loonie

"i say sir, how much for a liter of petrol???" "well that will be a loonie and 89 cents my good man" is a casual gas transaction in canada

then years later a $2 coin came out and we call it a twoonie even though there isnt a duck on it

i must say the $1 and $2 bill america has are the worst things in the world, probably only still in existence because you like to bring your own loving currency to foreign countries and only give out single dollars at a time like a loving us dollar is even worth that much in thailand

any ways i digress

in the future the currency of the world will be physical loonies and twoonies

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

anatomi posted:

I have plenty of TP. I coincidentally ordered a case online just before any of this happened. So I haven't really been worrying this whole time.

I forgot about tissues. We're almost out and allergy season is just starting. The shelves are BARE.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bomrek posted:

"Have you read Blindness by Saramago... wait, no, you're Big Brother contestants... Okay, have you seen Doomsday by Neil Marshall? Well..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beachcomber posted:

I have plenty of TP. I coincidentally ordered a case online just before any of this happened. So I haven't really been worrying this whole time.

I forgot about tissues. We're almost out and allergy season is just starting. The shelves are BARE.

Staples and office depot have some tissues and even the awful rough tp available. I think putting limits on orders is helping with the insanity.