Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
gently caress yeah we're (tied) number one

rule britannia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wow, I've just come off a month-long media and news fast and I feel great! time to take a big swig of coffee and check what's going on in the world

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have some friends who don't really follow UK politics, but have gotten the impression Boris is a clever (or at least moderately intelligent man) who pretends to be a clown.

I've been making the case that his public persona is that of a man pretending to be an idiot solely because it's the best way to hide the depths of just how smooth his brain actually is, and I'm pretty sure his crisis response of "just let people die, which will disproportionally affect his own voters" seals my case.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have some friends who don't really follow UK politics, but have gotten the impression Boris is a clever (or at least moderately intelligent man) who pretends to be a clown.

I've been making the case that his public persona is that of a man pretending to be an idiot solely because it's the best way to hide the depths of just how smooth his brain actually is, and I'm pretty sure his crisis response of "just let people die, which will disproportionally affect his own voters" seals my case.

He has Trump's instinctive ability to get dipshits onside through his oafishness - that same dead-eyed, sharklike grifter energy - but there's no doubt that he's a loving moron.

In particular he's a self-deluding, indecisive moron who wants all of the glory but never wants to be within a million miles of an actual difficult and weighty decision. Dithering, bluster and bare-faced lying are his three tactics in the face of any issue, big or small.

And this one's pretty big.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

bojo has said as much himself, he's as stupid as he looks

a LOT of the european response makes sense if you consider that we just racistly assumed chinese science isn't real

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Ian Hislop is a smug twat and have I got news for you has many questions to answer re: responsibility for bojos rise to power, but his comment on Boris pretty much sums it up

Ian Hislop posted:

People always ask me the same question, they say, 'Is Boris a very very clever man pretending to be an idiot?' And I always say, 'No.'

he spent enough time at private school and Oxford that he has the classics references and plummy voice and general bumbling posh boy act down which British people are programmed from birth to conflate with intelligence and ability, but he is fundamentally a stupid man

cf Rees mogg

his sole ambition was to be prime minister and this was his chance to be Churchill, to shut down everything and make difficult decisions to save hundreds of thousands of lives and he just fumbled it

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Sorry, just to clarify that, Boris isn't actually a moron in the low double digit IQ realms of Trumbo, he has actually had an education, even if a lot of it was nepotism. His stupidity comes from his pure undiluted laziness and desire to do gently caress all while grasping for power for its own sake.

His corona response has likely been almost entirely draft written by his advisers because to do anything else would require *effort* which he does not care for. The ruling class should not have to actually think about things, the servile classes should just take what they are given and be happy about it. Why are they complaining?! Let them eat cake, etc etc.

It doesn't help that he surrounds himself with complete idiots, if he had some actual competent people in his cabinet he would probably be fine because as long as they don't bother him he will just let them get on with whatever they want. Unfortunately, dom cummings chased off all the competent people in his quest to find people into eugenics and finding some kind of final solution for the migrant problem, so Boris gets left with such intellectual heavyweights as... *checks notes* Dom Raab and Priti Patel?!?!

:smithicide:

Edit: Oh God, I just remembered they promoted Chris Grayling (again) to the intelligence committee. You would have thought a vital requirement for being assigned there would be, you know, intelligence. The tory cabinet is just every smug loving arsehole manager who instead of being fired for incompetence was instead promoted just so they didn't have to be dealt with anymore. Failing upwards indeed.

Dravs has issued a correction as of 10:41 on Mar 17, 2020

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Young folks are gonna re-elect Boris out of gratitude for killing the olds.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What was Chris Grayling's record, again? Was he the guy who paid millions to a pizza delivery truck for their shipping rights, or "just" the one who decided that Brexit would not result in a greater customs burden and thus refused to let anyone investigate options for preparing for said burden?

XMNN posted:

he spent enough time at private school and Oxford that he has the classics references and plummy voice and general bumbling posh boy act down which British people are programmed from birth to conflate with intelligence and ability, but he is fundamentally a stupid man

My first exposure to Bojo actually speaking was that interview when he was asked to compare himself to a historical leader, and he picked loving Pericles. I have only a superficial knowledge of the classics, and even I know that the only way anyone could be impressed by that answer is "he said a greek name, and greek names are what smart people say."

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What was Chris Grayling's record, again? Was he the guy who paid millions to a pizza delivery truck for their shipping rights, or "just" the one who decided that Brexit would not result in a greater customs burden and thus refused to let anyone investigate options for preparing for said burden?

his finest hour was probably the ferry deal, where he awarded a huge contract for post-brexit trade to a company with no boats and hardly any employees, but he also tried to privatise the probation service and completely hosed up the trains

the man is a complete disaster and that he somehow has relevance outside of being a brexiteer willing to support theresa may is almost as stunning an indictment of the conservative party as this omnishambles of a pandemic response

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I feel like i'm going to go completely insane? The tories have basically just killed thousands of people for no reason, still haven't put in place the necessary measures and are just going to get away with it all!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

UrbicaMortis posted:

I feel like i'm going to go completely insane? The tories have basically just killed thousands of people for no reason, still haven't put in place the necessary measures and are just going to get away with it all!
wow a post from like 2011, hi

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crowsbeak posted:

Does this cancel the Labour Party election?

No, it's all postal votes and online votes. Counting them might be delayed though I've heard nothing on that but it'll still happen

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

wow a post from like 2011, hi

It's not unexpected, I'm just currently melting down about it. I'll go back to being jaded soon enough.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

UrbicaMortis posted:

now now op

it's hundreds of thousands

And potentially somewhere around a cool million

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-lockdown-uk-vaccine-cure-covid-19-nhs-government-scientists-a9404636.html

quote:

Coronavirus: UK lockdown could be indefinite until a vaccine is found, warn scientists advising government
‘We are essentially waiting for a vaccine,’ experts say. ‘A vaccine is not five months away. We know it’s at least 12 to 18 months away. So we will have difficult choices to make’

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Thoughts posted:

bojo has said as much himself, he's as stupid as he looks

a LOT of the european response makes sense if you consider that we just racistly assumed chinese science isn't real

I mean. Think how many times you have seen it suggested Chinese science wasn’t advanced due to somewhat higher rates of plagiarism in Chinese technology and science schools. This would really not surprise me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean. Think how many times you have seen it suggested Chinese science wasn’t advanced due to somewhat higher rates of plagiarism in Chinese technology and science schools. This would really not surprise me.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1131973863535992832

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Summarize it as I refuse to listen to a second of that demonic dual loyalist.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

china's initial response was also Not Great, remember. they were just able to mobilise like crazy once they realised how bad it was, which the west absolutely does not want to do because number is suffering enough

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crowsbeak posted:

Summarize it as I refuse to listen to a second of that demonic dual loyalist.

"Western science is the only science done for the pursuit of knowledge, therefore it's the only good science."

Like it's somehow pure-reason-focused, and other civilizations just discover science things in order to do tasks.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

demonic dual loyalist.

hmm, seems anti-semitic op

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

"Western science is the only science done for the pursuit of knowledge, therefore it's the only good science."

Like it's somehow pure-reason-focused, and other civilizations just discover science things in order to do tasks.

That’s complete dogshit. Like you had Arab and Berbers trying to learn bird flight dynamics so to learn flight. You had Turkmen studying the night sky to learn of God’s machine. I can’t know about East Asia as that is not my expertise outside of alchemy had its origins in China.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crowsbeak posted:

That’s complete dogshit. Like you had Arab and Berbers trying to learn bird flight dynamics so to learn flight. You had Turkmen studying the night sky to learn of God’s machine. I can’t know about East Asia as that is not my expertise outside of alchemy had its origins in China.

I think he also calls it "Judeo-Christian science", like that's a thing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

wow, I've just come off a month-long media and news fast and I feel great! time to take a big swig of coffee and check what's going on in the world

thinking about that thing david mitchell did years ago, where a few comedians/panel show types were locked in a house w/o any access to outside news, and wondering how that before/after would go rn

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

prefect posted:

I think he also calls it "Judeo-Christian science", like that's a thing.

"Judeo-Christian" is always funny, given how many times the "Judeo" half of the term was expelled or massacred by the "Christian" half.

Kassad has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Mar 17, 2020

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Meanwhile, at the Telegraph...

:tipshat:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pipski posted:

Meanwhile, at the Telegraph...

:tipshat:

The paywall fadeout on that article is beautiful. Go look for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

V. Illych L. posted:

his finest hour was probably the ferry deal, where he awarded a huge contract for post-brexit trade to a company with no boats and hardly any employees...

What was the result of this though? The company quite clearly couldn't handle what would've been required of them but does 'awarded' mean they were paid for it anyway? It was what, 12/14 million quid?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My first exposure to Bojo actually speaking was that interview when he was asked to compare himself to a historical leader, and he picked loving Pericles. I have only a superficial knowledge of the classics, and even I know that the only way anyone could be impressed by that answer is "he said a greek name, and greek names are what smart people say."
I'm not sure if he's directly compared himself to Pericles but he's definitely described him as a hero and I think he owns a bust of him too.

I see people that talk up or hint the idea that they're trying to emulate classical figures as being like comic book fans that really wish they could be Batman or something, because those figures lived in societies that would be alien to us now. That said, I did quite like that the Guardian said that he's actually just a lovely Alcibiades.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kassad posted:

"Judeo-Christian" is always funny, given how many times the "Judeo" half was expelled or massacred by the "Christian" half.

Also the always implicit "2/3 Of The Major Abrahamic Religions" that it signals. The unspoken "gently caress ISLAM" element.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What was the result of this though? The company quite clearly couldn't handle what would've been required of them but does 'awarded' mean they were paid for it anyway? It was what, 12/14 million quid?

yeah they got the contract and then presumably embezzled the whole sum lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

contracts like that typically have penalty clauses for if the company cocks it up too badly, but that relies on the company being a real company with, like, assets and a reputation on the line. these guys presumably spent it all on vital candle supplies from a provider they coincidentally owned and went laughing to the bankruptcy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To be honest, Britain's political elite knowingly condemning thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands of people they're in theory responsible for to preventable deaths because it suits their political and economic agendas feels extremely in-character for the former British Empire.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Grape posted:

Also the always implicit "2/3 Of The Major Abrahamic Religions" that it signals. The unspoken "gently caress ISLAM" element.

its more a gently caress EVERYTHING ELSE BUT CHRISTIANITY bit by people who think the purpose of judaism was to be a prelude to christianity

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cythereal posted:

To be honest, Britain's political elite knowingly condemning thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands of people they're in theory responsible for to preventable deaths because it suits their political and economic agendas feels extremely in-character for the former British Empire.

yeah we never really changed, we weren't forced to. we just got smaller

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

£330 billion is a fair whack of cash but I notice the mention of mortgages but nothing about renters...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol the financial assistance the government have announced is a 3 month mortgage holiday and giving small businesses loans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
They seemed to imply you would have to apply for the mortgage "holiday" and its implied that banks would only give it to struggling businesses?