Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Perhaps they should have taken out insurance against that. :smug:

Personal responsibility!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

As expected, my Sainsburys order this morning came with a load of substitutions. There were a few items where "no suitable alternative was found" which I haven't seen before. That was for some pasta, tinned potatoes, and cleaning wipes.

Shockingly, I ordered a bottle of Carex not expecting to get it, and it was substituted... with antibacterial Carex. I feel like I've struck gold. I should sell this on the black market and make my fortune.

The delivery chap (who was very much not thrilled about his busy day ahead) said that the announcement last night seems to have made the panic buying situation worse, apparently this morning their shelves have been stripped bare. And of course all the delivery slots for the next 3 weeks have been booked up.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’m actually astonished that there was a news story which could knock antisemitism in labour off the top spot

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Haven't been going to garages much recently but noticed today fuel is very cheap. Apparently China being locked down has stifled demand and lowered the price.

I seem to recall something about the Saudis engaging in price war shenanigans as well?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Haven't been going to garages much recently but noticed today fuel is very cheap. Apparently China being locked down has stifled demand and lowered the price.

Saudi Arabia and Russia are also having a massive spat about production volumes and driving a price war

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

I think I'm starting to see why there were a lot of anti-nuclear people in the 70s even though it's our safest source of energy now.

blown hither and yon

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

also MBS initiated a global oil price-war like a week ago

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

justcola posted:

In more international news, Kenya has the worst locust swarms in 70 years (swarms the size of cities) - can't imagine they'd migrate up here in summer but following the floods from February, this, potential wildfires again a locust swarm would be the icing on the death cake.

There's also a comet

https://twitter.com/FringeDoctor/status/1239670578136502272?s=20

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Special gently caress you to the guy I overheard in Asda: “Oh hiya, watch out we’re isolating [wife]’s got the symptoms”

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
was [wife] there, too?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

XMNN posted:

was [wife] there, too?

Not but I’m guessing at wife, could’ve been referring to the little girl in the trolley I suppose.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I touch computers for a local authority (yes, I know, :thermidor:) and there's mutterings of redeploying us to help the communities with things like food delivery. Honestly I'd love to be doing that rather than spinning my wheels with the pointless projects in which I'm currently engaged

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xisticide posted:

Not but I’m guessing at wife, could’ve been referring to the little girl in the trolley I suppose.

My Child Bride Has The 'Rona

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
About that business insurance...

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1239865584973684737?s=21

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

My ex who broke up with me last week was sent home and now we're self-isolating for 14 days.

May I interest you in tickets to the my Edinburgh fringe show about it?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fully expect Boris to announce widespread closures today then

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

justcola posted:

My ex who broke up with me last week was sent home and now we're self-isolating for 14 days.

:ohno:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All hail great Atlas, cleanse our failure.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i was thinking that maybe this relatively non-deadly virus may be a good thing in the future because it'll prepare us for the inevitable super deadly one. Then I remembered this is hellworld and no lessons will be learned.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

justcola posted:

Oooof.

I think/hope that the insurance industry isn't dumb enough to think that it can get away with this and/or the complete annihilation of local businesses may lead to problems. But then they are Tory donors so bone shattering solipsism is not exactly 100% off the table.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there could be a future for a party promising to seize and redistribute all insurance assets and put all the people involved with them's heads on pikes.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
My local Tesco has filled the toilet roll isle with easter eggs. It was worth a try but it's just made more of a mess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I imagine it would. How do you know when to stop?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

I think/hope that the insurance industry isn't dumb enough to think that it can get away with this and/or the complete annihilation of local businesses may lead to problems. But then they are Tory donors so bone shattering solipsism is not exactly 100% off the table.

Well, I'm guessing they don't really have a choice. Look at what happened in 2008 to the big american insurance companies, they insure for waaaaaaay more than they could possibly hope to pay out if poo poo hits the fan. AIG alone needed a $180 billion bailout. Yes, billion.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

when it starts tasting like chocolate

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jabby posted:

The graph is the really bad loving news here.

The red line, our max ITU bed capacity, is somewhere below 7 beds per 100,000 people.

In the best predicted scenario, by early June we'll need around 90 beds per 100,000 people. If we don't properly implement quarantine and social distancing, it could be over 150. Most people who need a bed but can't get one will die.
I was wondering about this - our local GP surgery has closed it's doors and is doing phone appointments only. Presumably that means there are about 20 odd rooms in there with beds which are good for people who need critical care or isolated recovery, but not 'could crash at any second' critical care.

I would hope that in an emergency, those beds could be used to ease the burden. However having worked for the NHS I can fully imagine a series of confused middle managers going "Use thing in new way? Grok confused."

Gonzo McFee posted:

They've been quite happy to let the poor and disabled die for about ten years, I genuinely think they were caught off guard at the idea that there's a line.
There's a very cynical part of me that is feeling like Dom Cum is rubbing his eugenecistic little hands at the thought of this huge a cleansing of the sick and disabled out of the welfare system.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Oh look Laura Kuenssberg is trending on twitter again. I wonder what ball gargling government propaganda she's spewed forth this time.

https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1239822069451370496?s=20

Yup, about what I expected. Burn the BBC.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Hahaha, he doesn't know how to use the three easter eggs.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hello hello my angels, I don’t know how many of you are following me but my twitter is attempting to be much less bitching and more super serious coronavirus information from verifiable sources. If you find something new please please tag me in so I can keep the feed current (information more than 2 days old is out of date at this point)

I have the Italian raw figures from Monday but can’t find yesterday’s.

https://twitter.com/learnincurve11/status/1239836509899034624

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Of course, itt we all know the one true way to wipe.

TheRat posted:

Well, I'm guessing they don't really have a choice. Look at what happened in 2008 to the big american insurance companies, they insure for waaaaaaay more than they could possibly hope to pay out if poo poo hits the fan. AIG alone needed a $180 billion bailout. Yes, billion.
No, they needed the rope, but they got a $180b bailout.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hello LC, I hope you're keeping safe in this lovely mess.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
At least it may buy us a couple more years of ice caps.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Oooof.

The fundamental model of the insurance industry is to get premiums from everyone and use them to fund claims from whatever smaller subset of the customers make them. The terms deliberately exclude things like pandemics or nuclear disasters that would result in everyone claiming at once, which obviously cannot be funded.

They should be rinsed for what they can fund, but the insurance industry is not going to be anyone's saviour in this. It needs the government to step in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Hello LC, I hope you're keeping safe in this lovely mess.

I’m fine thanks 🙂, self isolating because of all the disgusting old slobs on the bus and not wanting to pass anything they have onto my lad who will then send it round a special needs school.

loving lazy middle class boomers cleared out all the flour, hand wash and toilet roll round our small poor people’s Morrisons because they were too bone idle to go to the big one a mile away and walk round it. We know this because the front half of the car park was pure fake four by fours.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Bloody hell. Get well soon, fellow goon.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We're currently drawing up plans so I can work from home most of the time, then work on laptops from a local office when needed, which only has a few people in it, has a separate room I can work from and I can get to without being stuck on a bus, so that's better than nothing I guess. We'll see how long it lasts when poo poo really hits the fan though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just seen a loving Tory having a go at the WHO for having a slow response to this virus. loving this government are glacial next to the rest of the world

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hahaha, he doesn't know how to use the three easter eggs.

Surely youd only need 1.5 Easter eggs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Been advised we all need to retrain in the only post corona career, receivership accountant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m seeing a lot of people on twitter, although thankfully no sane and sensible goons, ask if they can take herbal anti-inflammatories instead of ibroprofen

NO

It’s any anti-inflammatory.