Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wark Say posted:

Man, gently caress Steely Dan. Let's talk about XTC instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p554R-Jq43A

Nah let’s talk about Electric Funeral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMiBF9R5o_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrryAXZzdBA

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

gently caress Your Website posted:

There’s some great stupid music poo poo in here, including a guitar with two whammy bars, one of those ridiculous Game of Thrones guitars, a guitar with sixteen tones per octave, and plenty of varieties of JEM nonsense. Eminently watchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyivuwYQhbw

That's a fantastic video. What a genuine dude.

Also, his main guitar is insane. It's sleek and sharp-edged, but painted white and has a pearloid pickguard and gold hardware, and that flowery inlay design. It looks like what you'd get if Liberace and a televangelist's interior decorator designed a sports car.

And of course I totally want one because I have horrible taste and I find the idea of playing something that obscenely decadent and opulent pretty amusing. Like, the guitar is so ridiculous that you've already jumped the shark before you even pick it up. You'd have total freedom to play whatever ultra-wank-a-thon stuff you could dream up and it would be perfect because it would be exactly what anybody would expect an instrument like that to produce.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 18, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i really love guitars that are unique

picks up 20 different variations on an ibanez jem

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

"16 frets per octave really messes with your harmonic balance!"

*hangs up guitar without playing it"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

Effervescent and refreshing. Thank you.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That video should have been 5 times longer with demos of each. I want to hear quarter tone wanks and double whammies and sitar. Not so much all the small variations on good signature guitar though...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We got a lovely deal with that video, for real. I'd pay to hear each and every single loving one of those guitars with extender range, weirdo tunings, extended octaves and all that cheesy faffery all up in this motherfucker.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Snowy posted:

I used to like stuff like that.

Now I am too old.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Actuary X posted:

I used to like stuff like that.

Now I am too old.

That’s crazy talk. I’m pushing 50, how old could you possibly be that you wouldn’t want to grind your mind????

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol speaking of d-beat i just saw tim faust giving a talk on healthcare systems on cspan sporting a pissblood shirt

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Amulets posting up a video with some of the most expensive and sought-after gear right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96PJF24QdLI

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

stillvisions posted:

Amulets posting up a video with some of the most expensive and sought-after gear right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96PJF24QdLI

This is fun :3

This reverb tank was first released in 1966 but this picture comes from a 70s-era amplifier that it was installed in. Different times, brother. Different times. *takes drag*

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 19, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol, like most of the tones out of the post-rock/post-metal record we're doing right now are coming either from my Yamaha THR10x supported by a Tech21 FlyRig 5 Cali or from the other guitar player's Helix into an mic'd Orange CR60.

Gear Purists' tears are loving delicious.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Gear Purists' tears are loving delicious.

:hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0mYpni9OU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
does anyone outside dadrock type genres really care that much though? considering people have been pulling great tones out of podfarm for years and no-one's the wiser, most studio guys I know will use literally anything if it sounds good (which apparently at the moment is a lot of Putney/Nameless VST)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think you're casting a very wide net if everyone outside the studio musician business counts as a "dadrock type".

Wark Say posted:

the other guitar player's Helix into an mic'd Orange CR60.
How's the CR60? I've sort of been gassing for an adult-sized amp with no frills and that seems like a fun almost-budget option.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 19, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Concatenation posted:

does anyone outside dadrock type genres really care that much though? considering people have been pulling great tones out of podfarm for years and no-one's the wiser, most studio guys I know will use literally anything if it sounds good (which apparently at the moment is a lot of Putney/Nameless VST)
poo poo yeah they do. Literally the other guitar players in my Melodeath and Post-Rock/Post-Metal band, respectively. It took awhile to actively deprogram/disabuse them of the notion that expensive poo poo is better by default.

Siivola posted:

How's the CR60? I've sort of been gassing for an adult-sized amp with no frills and that seems like a fun almost-budget option.
It's fantastic. Not as fun as the CR120, but it's pretty darn fun nonetheless!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Concatenation posted:

Kinda, yeah. A few of my friends still don't understand how on earth my favorite tones right now are coming from a squier jazzmaster into a boss katana head into a evh 5150iii 2x12.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

THE number one thing you'll hear out of a group of metal dorks:

"Yea I don't even use a distortion pedal I just use amp distortion man."

Purity tests are everywhere.

edit:

which, if argued with, is followed by "pffft just get a better amp man."

Sammy Duet just did an interview confirming, yet again, Randall RG100 amps were considered a joke until Nola bands/Dimebag changed all that. And despite this mountain of evidence there are dudes who will still claim it sucks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 19, 2020

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
I’ll always remember a guy who ran up to the front of the stage after a set just staring baffled at my old Line 6 Spider II, stunned into near speechlessness at how I managed to eke the tones I did out of it (dialed back all the lovely presets and ran it near clean with a few pedals)

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Just remembered my experience from a recent tour is that if you have a kemper, your tone is probably shrill garbage. Kempers are incredible but no local bands seem to know how to dial them in for live use. Same story from one guy who had both a helix and a Mesa mk V. Crying shame

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The saddest thing is that it's piss-easy to dial a basic but decent-to-great tone in either the Kemper (unless you're trying to profile, which is admittedly time-intensive), the Headrush, the Axe-Fx III or the Helix once you cut off any unnecessary bullshit (which takes like 4 minutes on each one of them). Like I've heard of bands that take weeks dialing out their tones and junk, or the story that it took Stef from the Deftones like two years to realize why his patches sounded like poo poo. It honestly boggles my loving mind.

And like even if you have shitloads of effects, delays, fx loops and whatnot, it shouldn't take loving forever to dial a couple of decent tones.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good process or tutorial for learning about amp settings and tone? I have a bunch of amps but I don't really "get" it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

The saddest thing is that it's piss-easy to dial a basic but decent-to-great tone in either the Kemper (unless you're trying to profile, which is admittedly time-intensive), the Headrush, the Axe-Fx III or the Helix once you cut off any unnecessary bullshit (which takes like 4 minutes on each one of them). Like I've heard of bands that take weeks dialing out their tones and junk, or the story that it took Stef from the Deftones like two years to realize why his patches sounded like poo poo. It honestly boggles my loving mind.

I've never used one but isn't it just a block system of like

front pedals > preamp > effects loop > power amp > output to speaker cab (or using an IR if going direct)

So for metal it's just TS808 > 5150 clone > blank > 5150 clone > mesa oversized cab IR

I do know you can get fancy as hell with midi controlled profile switching running off of the click track because some of the modern elevator music djent bands like periphery/tesseract do that and then also have the lighting rig run off it as well.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don't know how to do any of the stuff you're talking about. It'd be great to find out, though, so spill or throw up a link!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Is there a good process or tutorial for learning about amp settings and tone? I have a bunch of amps but I don't really "get" it

For what style? For me my general go to settings are:

Clean - neck pickup selected; amp at low6 mid8 high7, gain at a point where if I pick really hard it won't break up much and volume wherever feels comfy. Delay/Reverb if I feel like it. If your amp has depth/presence knobs then both those at 1 o clock.

Heavy Distortion - high output pickups; tube screamer set to noon on the gain, max on the volume and about 6 on the tone; high gain amp low10 mid6 high10 (sometimes dial back low and high if they're too boomy or fizzy), gain at almost max, depth/presence at 1oclock

For a crunchy/midgain tone it's the same exact thing as heavy distortion only I dial the gain down until it feels right.

The hard part isn't getting a good tone, it's getting a tone you like.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Achmed Jones posted:

I don't know how to do any of the stuff you're talking about. It'd be great to find out, though, so spill or throw up a link!

i saw it in this video. They have cubase trigger midi to change patches. How it's actually done, I have no clue but it makes a lot of sense to automate it like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKK5GK7PrLU&t=851s

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

What amps do you have?

What kind of tones are you trying to get, and are you trying to get them in your live practice space or good recorded tone?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 19, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm a recording engineer and I worked with a shitload of gear, so tell me:
  • Which amps do you have?
  • What tones/sound do you need? Filthy Heavy? Silky Smooth Clean? More than one of those?
  • Do you have pedals? If so, which ones and do you want to use them?
  • What guitars/basses do you use?
This might be the Stupid Music poo poo thread, but we do want to help. :)

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

There are many people here more qualified than I am, so take this with a grain of salt.

For me, the goal is control rather than tone. In other words, I try to learn how to get a bunch of different tones (clean, slightly dirty, etc) and what sorts of settings in the gear (instrument, pedals, amps) will give me each different tone. I don't stress about getting any of those tones exactly perfect on their own; instead I'm focusing on being able to do them all pretty well so that every tone sounds pretty good when I'm switching things in the middle of a song. It's really more about the contrast between the different tones you use, and how they all relate to the music.

Here's a process that might work for somebody just getting into it:
1. Learn what different tones are possible and figure out some tones that you particularly enjoy.
2. Learn how to make those different tones and gain a basic understanding of how you would adjust your gear to get those tones.
3. Practice getting nice tones with the gear you have.
4. Only add more gear if you know how you would use it to generate a new tone. Generally avoid getting new gear without knowing how you want to use it.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Amps:

Sano 500R-12
Peavey Studio Pro 40
DOD Juice It II w/ a marshall gold speaker
Hartke B900

Guitars:
Epiphone LP Special
1956 Guild Archtop
1967 Standel 510-S
Some 1970s Stage 5-string bass
Some Jackson 4-string bass

Pedals:
Korg Toneworks AX100G
Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Pepperoni
Danelectro FAB Chorus
Boss DS-1
Donner Looper

I recently bought a home in Nashville that has a legit studio in the basement, because the previous owner was an audio engineer (he engineered the Meat Puppets Too High to Die Album). I play everything from 1920s Appalachian music to current stuff, and we basically play full band karaoke. I tend to play pretty clean because adding stuff to my signal usually makes it worse.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Spanish Manlove posted:

i saw it in this video. They have cubase trigger midi to change patches. How it's actually done, I have no clue but it makes a lot of sense to automate it like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKK5GK7PrLU&t=851s

I’ve tried this on one single song, using Ableton to trigger patch changes on the AxeFX. Holy poo poo is it cool!

It’s just sending a MIDI cc at preset points, and iirc it only took me like 30 minutes to figure it out and set it up for a song.

But man, it’s incredibly strange the first handful of playthroughs... you just play, and all of a sudden you’re on a solo patch with tons of FX, then back to normal, then clean. I found myself looking for the pedalboard, and messed up my playing a handful of times in that confusion.

If my band actually played to a click (or I was touring with my solo stuff), I’d do this for everything. It may piss off pedaldancing purists (“i spent five years learning how to dance across two dozen pedals every night, this is cheating!”), but it allows for clear focus on the performance, instead of the tech side.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It's fantastic. Not as fun as the CR120, but it's pretty darn fun nonetheless!
Thanks! Now I'll just have to find a store where I can try one out...

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Check out That Pedal Show on Youtube. It's hosted by two (very nice) dadrock elementals, but their info on how to use gear is really good. The show's been going for a few years now so poke around a bit in their back catalog.

But start out by turning the gain down.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Slothful Bong posted:

If my band actually played to a click (or I was touring with my solo stuff), I’d do this for everything. It may piss off pedaldancing purists (“i spent five years learning how to dance across two dozen pedals every night, this is cheating!”), but it allows for clear focus on the performance, instead of the tech side.

Bands with guitar techs often have them at the side of the stage and they just press the on/off switches during shows. Plus there are those Bradshaw rigs that use effects loops.

I'm on my phone, but there's a video series of the keyboardist for St. Vincent and he goes over all of the automation he set up within ableton. He shows how he sets up click tracks, sets BPMs, automates presets on keyboards. It's nerdy, but it just shows that it is easily attainable.

The hardest part is finding a musician who can play to a click.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Siivola posted:

or max everything on the amp and turn your tone knob to zero

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That gets filed under "it's not stupid if it works"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Amps:

Sano 500R-12
Peavey Studio Pro 40
DOD Juice It II w/ a marshall gold speaker
Hartke B900

Guitars:
Epiphone LP Special
1956 Guild Archtop
1967 Standel 510-S
Some 1970s Stage 5-string bass
Some Jackson 4-string bass

Pedals:
Korg Toneworks AX100G
Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Pepperoni
Danelectro FAB Chorus
Boss DS-1
Donner Looper

I recently bought a home in Nashville that has a legit studio in the basement, because the previous owner was an audio engineer (he engineered the Meat Puppets Too High to Die Album). I play everything from 1920s Appalachian music to current stuff, and we basically play full band karaoke. I tend to play pretty clean because adding stuff to my signal usually makes it worse.
Hey, you have pretty cool stuff! Okay, first of all, and straight out of the gate, if you're going to play clean, set the amps to play clean. You can let the Big Muff Pi, the DS-1 or the Toneworks (not a fan of the plastic stomps/enclosures, but I recall them having workable distortion sounds) do all the dirty work for you if you're chiefly a silky-smooth clean kinda player.

For the amps:
  • Sano 500R-12: I'm guessing this is your Bad Motherfucker of the bunch, correct? All my experiences while recording with these, regardless if it were an accordion, an harmonica or a guitar have been :stwoon: "NO loving WAY HOW IS THIS SO LOUD?!", so my advice is to set the 2-Band EQ (it's the one that only has Bass and Treble, right?) to 12 o'clock first , adjust the volume to something manageable and find the clean tone you want. If the tremolo works and you have the footswitch, set it to taste.
  • Peavey Studio Pro 40: I'm guessing that either this or the DOD are your practice boys, right? If so, this guy is a no-brainer. I know this has the double trio of setups (Gain with Pre, Saturation and Post & 3-band EQ), so set the EQ to 12 o'clock again and then once you set the post and saturation to somewhere reasonable so no distortion happens, dial your tone to taste. If the push/pull bright switches work, use them to your liking (I recall the treble bright Boost been a great deal more manageable, so if you want to focus on one, use that).
  • DOD Juice It II w/ a marshall gold speaker: I recall this because it reminded me of the pipsqueaks Crate GX line in that they were noisy as gently caress plus it has one or two in-built effects, correct? Don't recall if it's chorus or phaser, but it deffo has its own Reverb. If it's the one with only Volume for the clean channel and shared EQ, use the clean channel to dial your Volume and adjust the EQ to taste after that.
  • Hartke B900: This has a shape/contour controller, right? If so, use with discretion, for it may betray you. Otherwise, same advice applies as with the three guitar amps.
I don't know if you have the footswitches, but I'm going to assume for EQ'ing purposes (and to maintain my sanity) that you don't. The DS-1 and Big Muff Pi are super easy to set up for dirty and will get you places with ease.

Siivola posted:

Check out That Pedal Show on Youtube. It's hosted by two (very nice) dadrock elementals, but their info on how to use gear is really good. The show's been going for a few years now so poke around a bit in their back catalog.

These two guys know a shitton of Amp/Pedal configuration. The downside is that you're going to see a lot of cute toys and might get some GAS'ing real bad. Don't do it. You have a pretty cool setup to start. Get comfortable dialing up what you have first. Otherwise, watch to your leisure and take in all the knowledge. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrfqPoX4WU