Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I’m usually not the type to give a poo poo about *~*how history will remember you*~* since it means jack poo poo, but if Trump and the republicans are going to have their names attached to anything, a goddamn pandemic is what it should be attached to.

And I’m hoping that whether or not he gets re-elected, this one sticks.

But if the Democrats can’t manage to beat a guy who grabbed em by the pussy in 2016 and royally hosed up an international health crisis in 2020, then the whole party needs to loving burn and I hope they don’t survive the loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fister Roboto posted:

They should have been nailing him to the wall for his bullshit the minute they took back the House.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

When I saw how many new posts there were I was like wow, wonder what happened with the outbreak overnight! Well, relieved to see it was just a rehash of the impeachment.

And yes, postponing primaries is the only right move right now. As in today.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

SimonCat posted:

The Rules, that is, the Constitution, state that the Senate has to vote to convict. There was no way a Republican majority Senate votes to convict a sitting Republican president. To assume it was ever going to be otherwise is naive.

And them doing absolutely nothing would have gone over how well, exactly?

People have been shouting do something his entire term. Do you just ignore that out of hand while everything you do gets blocked, or do you give it a shot and see what sticks with the best thing you've got on deck?

This was a lose/lose scenario from the beginning, and both directions lead to giant vats of poo poo. This isn't hard to figure out, and not once did I say that a victory was assumed. I said it should have been a slam dunk because, in a sane world, it really should have.

Same goes for showing the depths the Rs are willing to sink to, but idk that anyone actually expected it to work. Just that it would've looked even worse if they sat there with their thumbs up their asses going gently caress nothing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Really feel like we're only a couple of days from it popping up everywhere.

Yep.

https://twitter.com/NatashaFatah/status/1239714703338766336?s=19

Also it's fuckin hilarious how Donnie just can't not lie.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1239882888633552897?s=19

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
If the dems can’t beat this loving idiot in November, they truly are a waste.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Woofer posted:

But if the Democrats can’t manage to beat a guy who grabbed em by the pussy in 2016 and royally hosed up an international health crisis in 2020, then the whole party needs to loving burn and I hope they don’t survive the loss.

Yeah, this 100x. I just don't know what if any form a new left party could take, or what nascent party structure would take that. The best I can come up with is the circle around Bernie/AOC, Justice Democrats and maybe the DSA itself.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Deathy baby, they already are a pathetic waste of oxygen. They proved it over these 4 years alone via their inaction. Honestly you should write to your Congressshitter and demand they apologies to the trees at this point.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
The biggest issue with that is drawing enough attention so as not to give Republicans an automatic win.

But if we keep handing them wins as a supposedly unified party, I mean. What's the point. We already have plenty of leftists howling about how they won't ever, not ever vote Biden, and probably a fair number of centrists that don't want to vote Sanders, either.

So... yeah. poo poo's a mess.

EDIT: vvv this, also, but I didnt/dont really have the energy to go into it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 17, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Deathy McDeath posted:

Is it really the dem’s fault if 40ish% of the population is so ensconced in a right wing bubble that it’s functionally impossible to reach them?

Like, I’m not excusing bullshit DNC policy or ineptitude. There’s plenty of that to go around. But the right wing, 30-40 years ago, decided to stand up a media propaganda arm instead of change with the times. The kind of indoctrination and partisanship generated by that decision is a powerful pull.

Add racism/sexism/xenophobia to the mix and anyone will have trouble trying to pull the country in another direction. (This is also how nations die, btw)

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Old Boot posted:

And them doing absolutely nothing would have gone over how well, exactly?

It would have given less ammunition to the Republicans to fire up their base, and the Dems have been "Vote blue, no matter who" since at least 2016, if not earlier. So what was gained by impeaching Trump?

People have been shouting "Do something" about everything for as long as I can remember. The only thing that gets done is more spending for the MIC, less spending on everything else, and tax cuts. And all of that is bipartisan.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'm sure whoever is the Dem nominee will win the popular vote easily, but that may not be enough. Between the natural shape of the electoral college, and gerrymandering at the local levels, the republicans are dug in like Tennessee termites.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

About to have a company wide presentation from the CEO regarding COVID issues.
At the same time, the premier of ontario is likely to declare a state of emergency.

Woo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

It would have given less ammunition to the Republicans to fire up their base, and the Dems have been "Vote blue, no matter who" since at least 2016, if not earlier. So what was gained by impeaching Trump?

It gives more ammunition for Democrats to fire up their base and the name of the game is turnout. Make the people who aren't Trump's base but still voted for him less likely to do so again. Make the people who voted Obama but didn't care for Hillary turn out again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's not Caro, that's just some dude who got his brain broken by C-SPAM.

Ah, IP, I remember when he used to post in USPOL. I saluted him then for his typing speed, while desperately wishing someone would finally beat "less is more" into his skull.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Vote blue no matter who, the big tent, etc are s complete and utter failure

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

MA-Horus posted:

About to have a company wide presentation from the CEO regarding COVID issues.
At the same time, the premier of ontario is likely to declare a state of emergency.

Woo.

Yeah he did. Everything public is basically shut down. Churches, dine in restaurants, parades.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-declares-state-of-emergency-amid-covid-19-pandemic-1.4856033

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but I dont think Clinton was ever impeached for that. So why even bring it up in a conversation about impeachment?

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make, but the plan was already to impeach HR Clinton
based on actions prior to the election.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dow 20,000 :toot:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BurningChrome posted:

They proved it over these 4 years alone via their inaction.

If you really think this, you either haven't been paying attention or you're being willfully ignorant at this point.

I mean, by all means, continue to blame the Dems for not doing anything. Pay no attention to McConnell letting the numerous bills the Dem controlled house have passed languish on his desk.

I'm not saying the Dems aren't open to criticism, or there aren't areas that they could be doing more in, but I'm so loving tired of the "Dems are worthless because they didn't do the performative actions I WANT to see" shtick.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
NYC - De Blasio considering shelter in place order.

Buy calls on sleeping bags, traders gonna hole up at the NYSE.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph posted:

If you really think this, you either haven't been paying attention or you're being willfully ignorant at this point.

I mean, by all means, continue to blame the Dems for not doing anything. Pay no attention to McConnell letting the numerous bills the Dem controlled house have passed languish on his desk.

I'm not saying the Dems aren't open to criticism, or there aren't areas that they could be doing more in, but I'm so loving tired of the "Dems are worthless because they didn't do the performative actions I WANT to see" shtick.

I largely agree with you but I think they also massively hosed up by not drawing up articles of impeachment the day the new congress was seated. Instead we got months of well maybe Pelosi will do this maybe not, but they're talking about letting the voters decide it instead".

I interpreted the blue wave and getting the house back as the public wanting to make a change. Having the house change and then hand wringing around on it for months just gave the GOP time to prepare and gave months for the public momentum for a leadership change to abate.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Handsome Ralph posted:

No my good bitch, I have been paying attention. They are weak and pathetic. And I'm tired of excuses from people like you. gently caress outta here with that. They had their chance to crucify the president. To come up with a laundry list of counts so big they couldn't be ignored back when impeachment happened. They didn't. Your command is more likely to throw more charges at you then the Dems did. For far less poo poo too.

I can't blame them for a hostile Senate. Bills don't get passed if they don't sign off. But I can blame them for being lukewarm, softhearted motherfuckers, as is their reputation and track record. Get outta here with that BS. Politics is a knife fight, not some loving Oliver Twist type poo poo. "Excuse me sir could we please have less corruption? Can we have our democracy back? What about that constituition? ¡Por favor!"

If you tell me politicians ain't got dirt on each other, I'll tell you to look up who've they've been loving and start twisting some loving arms. The path to victory is there. But it's not for the faint of heart. Problem is, only the new breed has loving heart. The rest of these motherfuckers are collecting the same check anyway and don't wanna rock the boat too hard. That's all I got on that, SMDFTB my dude. And choke on it too you bumass bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BurningChrome posted:

No my good bitch, I have been paying attention. They are weak and pathetic. And I'm tired of excuses from people like you. gently caress outta here with that. They had their chance to crucify the president. To come up with a laundry list of counts so big they couldn't be ignored back when impeachment happened.

I can't blame them for a hostile Senate. Bills don't get passed if they don't sign off. But I can blame them for being lukewarm, softhearted motherfuckers, as is their reputation and track record. Get outta here with that BS. Politics is a knife fight, not some loving Oliver Twist type poo poo. "Excuse me sir could we please have less corruption? Can we have our democracy back? What about that constituition? ¡Por favor!"

If you tell me politicians ain't got dirt on each other, I'll tell you to look up who've they've been loving and start twisting some loving arms. The path to victory is there. But it's not for the faint of heart. Problem is, only the new breed has loving heart. The rest of these motherfuckers are collecting the same check anyway and don't wanna rock the boat too hard. That's all I got on that, SMDFTB my dude. And choke on it too you bumass bitch.

aight

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Today's going well, then.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nah.

That Works posted:

I largely agree with you but I think they also massively hosed up by not drawing up articles of impeachment the day the new congress was seated. Instead we got months of well maybe Pelosi will do this maybe not, but they're talking about letting the voters decide it instead".

I interpreted the blue wave and getting the house back as the public wanting to make a change. Having the house change and then hand wringing around on it for months just gave the GOP time to prepare and gave months for the public momentum for a leadership change to abate.

I feel you, but as others have put it better than I could, the levels of scrutiny were much higher towards the Dems on impeachment than they ever have been towards the GOP (and that's loving dumb for a ton of reasons). I feel even if the Dems had gone full press on impeachment the day they were seated, we'd have seen the same stupid shenanigans from the GOP. I don't think prep time was the issue.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

well, you know how this thread gets when nothing much is going on

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

gently caress you, your mother, and your sperm donor father. And every ancestor of yours that shoulda wore a rubber.

That better chiche?

BurningChrome fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 17, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nah.

I feel you, but as others have put it better than I could, the levels of scrutiny were much higher towards the Dems on impeachment than they ever have been towards the GOP (and that's loving dumb for a ton of reasons). I feel even if the Dems had gone full press on impeachment the day they were seated, we'd have seen the same stupid shenanigans from the GOP. I don't think prep time was the issue.

The end result of impeachment might have been the same but I think the general enthusiasm and integrity of the party were harmed a lot by doing what they did. It was obvious from day 1 that they could impeach trump and that the Senate would not convict. I think it harmed the Dems a lot more than being more active. Time will tell I guess since we are just talking hypotheticals.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, this was a no-win situation, full-stop. Just as it's valid to say 'there's no reason for the Dems to have believed that the impeachment efforts would have done a loving thing' about when they actually decided to do it, the same holds true for doing it the second they took control of the House.

The timing seemed as much an attempt to shame the Republicans still capable of feeling shame into voting correctly as anything else. If ever there was a time to do it, that was it, and it was still a wash. Do it the moment they take the House, and Pelosi is ~vindictive~ and ~mean~ and ~this is what the Dems want to waste time on, a stupid dog and pony show that goes nowhere, look at all the resources they're making GBS threads away doing absolutely nothing of value~. Mind you, this criticism would have 100% come from the left, as well; it wouldn't have been limited to just Republicans, because it would have looked like it was basically just performative.

The Ukraine thing was pretty much a bridge too far. Fail to act, and that looks stupid and terrible. Act, and you maybe, possibly, stand a chance at making something happen. Maybe. It's a moonshot. No one's losing their shirt on that bet.

And it didn't work. Big surprise, the Republicans hosed everyone over again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Please don't use gendered slurs.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Chichevache posted:

You're right. I went with what was natural. One second.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That Works posted:

The end result of impeachment might have been the same but I think the general enthusiasm and integrity of the party were harmed a lot by doing what they did. It was obvious from day 1 that they could impeach trump and that the Senate would not convict. I think it harmed the Dems a lot more than being more active. Time will tell I guess since we are just talking hypotheticals.

Yeah that's fair. I think the only counter I'd make to that is Pelosi et al wanted to have something that would be extraordinarily hard for GOP senators that are up for re-election to excuse their way out of voting to convict. Look no further than McSally and Collins current polling to see that in effect.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Chichevache posted:

Got ya covered :)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Who here has a background in political science? I feel like this would go a long way in explaining the widely different views between people witnessing the Democrats utter failure first hand and those just desperately trying to pretend their pre-2016 worldview is still relevant

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Y'all are missing the biggest news of today.

Tom Brady is not coming back to the Patriots.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Wow we have the economy and the internet back from '09

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Vote blue no matter who, the big tent, etc are s complete and utter failure

well you have literally been wrong about everything for a couple of years now so....

quote="BurningChrome" post="503375184"]
gently caress you, your mother, and your sperm donor father. And every ancestor of yours that shoulda wore a rubber.

That better chiche?
[/quote]

Awwww

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 17, 2020

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
It’s a good thing being a dick in this small sub forum in a dying comedy forum will change the national conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah that's fair. I think the only counter I'd make to that is Pelosi et al wanted to have something that would be extraordinarily hard for GOP senators that are up for re-election to excuse their way out of voting to convict. Look no further than McSally and Collins current polling to see that in effect.

Yeah that's also true, I wonder if that was actually what they were going for though considering it was the Ukraine news kinda forcing their hand. Like before that they were saying "we can impeach with a ballot" or some poo poo so I wonder if they would have ever actually tried it.