Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

It's just a pathological OCD thing. I wonder if Chris understands that in the end, it's all fake poo poo on a screen and the spaceman isn't really there in the first place.

It fits in with the whole "second life in space" thing the backers want so bad. The Crobbler has never come out and said they're making The Oasis from Ready Player One, they've just heavily implied it and let the backers spin their dreams from there.

Also :laffo: at all the citizens going "I don't care if other people don't like this tedious, boring game mechanic" yeah, it totally doesn't matter in a multiplayer game... unless you want other people playing it and buying it...

[Taxxe edit]

https://i.imgur.com/Pqf6II9.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Can I ask a serious question for the game devs, please?

All the hype about how in SC you don’t “become the ship” while flying, you are still controlling the player model who is controlling the ship. How could you possible tell the difference between these two things in a video game? It’s still just pressing a button and the ship does forwards.

If someone tells me the button is controlling a foot which is then pressing a pedal to move the ship rather than just moving the ship and triggering an animation of a foot pressing a pedal... what loving difference does it make?

Sorry, but this claim of true player control vs becoming the ship absolutely boggles my brain and I just can’t understand what would be gained from not ‘faking’ it?

Detailed answers would be appreciated, I’m sure it boils down to FIDELITY, but is there something I’m missing? Like, their true 3rd person/1st person animation sync thing... is there a benefit beyond being able to say you’re doing a thing most people don’t bother with?

makes no difference at all and in the end it's probably the same thing. chris would have to look at the code and force devs to make the player entity send commands to the ship entity at literally no gain whatsoever for no reason

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

All the hype about how in SC you don’t “become the ship” while flying, you are still controlling the player model who is controlling the ship. How could you possible tell the difference between these two things in a video game? It’s still just pressing a button and the ship does forwards.

If someone tells me the button is controlling a foot which is then pressing a pedal to move the ship rather than just moving the ship and triggering an animation of a foot pressing a pedal... what loving difference does it make?

Sorry, but this claim of true player control vs becoming the ship absolutely boggles my brain and I just can’t understand what would be gained from not ‘faking’ it?

Detailed answers would be appreciated, I’m sure it boils down to FIDELITY, but is there something I’m missing? Like, their true 3rd person/1st person animation sync thing... is there a benefit beyond being able to say you’re doing a thing most people don’t bother with?

If they really did that you control commando who controls the ship, the only possible advantage I can think of would be that someone could sneak behind pilot and throw box at the joystick or something, and that would affect ship. No idea how would that make the game any better. I think it is mostly for some "purity"/"fidelity", or it is just a means to highlight the fact that in the middle of space combat, you can stand up and go to space toilet

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the whole "character does not become the ship" thing false, anyway? As I recall, pilots are invulnerable in the chair, can vomit out ship parts and other things that indicate they have a ship state?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's more like you're a ship that controls the player controlling the ship

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bofast posted:

Isn't the whole "character does not become the ship" thing false, anyway? As I recall, pilots are invulnerable in the chair, can vomit out ship parts and other things that indicate they have a ship state?

Unfunny but true answers

* Your character model will stick to the chair model when you use it. You can still see your character model animating from the waist up but it's clearly in a sitting pose glued to the chair, same as any other game with vehicles. People ITT have been posting wild rear end conspiracies for years about noclip flight models and players becoming the ship as though that would be an invalidating thing, but to my knowledge it's just projection and the actual game is using a pretty standard vehicle attachment system.

* They used to not have a hitbox for characters in chairs- this was changed, though they never bothered to fix the animations around it so on being shot you will spring upright into the ceiling as all the tension in your legs is released at once.

* I haven't seen anyone vomit ship modules and in practice ship equipment seems to be on a totally separate system from personal equipment which is probably just more evidence of constant duplication of effort, but whatever

---

* "You control your pilot controlling the ship" was a Chris Roberts hand wave justification for the physics and flight control systems being so fucky way back in like 2013-2014. The idea was that your inputs were stating an intent to the system which would then spin all these little thrusters around to try and match what you were telling it to do. As thrusters got shot away the ship would become less responsive and so on. The problem was that the engine on the back of the ship overpowered everything else by 10-to-1 at first, and when they made them all equal the ship basically just followed your mouse perfectly so what was the point, and also it was hugely consumptive of network resources. So the whole thing was dropped and now you pilot your ship just like every other arcade space game out there, with ships having set pitch/yaw/roll per second capacity.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Also :laffo: at all the citizens going "I don't care if other people don't like this tedious, boring game mechanic" yeah, it totally doesn't matter in a multiplayer game... unless you want other people playing it and buying it...
I guess that promise of NPCs outnumbering players 1:10 will eventually come true even without adding new NPCs, because no one will play such a boring broken game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

commando in tophat posted:

If they really did that you control commando who controls the ship, the only possible advantage I can think of would be that someone could sneak behind pilot and throw box at the joystick or something, and that would affect ship. No idea how would that make the game any better. I think it is mostly for some "purity"/"fidelity", or it is just a means to highlight the fact that in the middle of space combat, you can stand up and go to space toilet

If I were CIG I would add one second of input lag because that's how long it takes for the pilot to react. Then I would sell spacemax energy drinks that reduce this lag for real money. It's not p2w because I say so.

Hire me CIG.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpx7TMMRQTU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

needed a good lol thank you

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also the player jank in that reminds me a ton of FPS games I played in the late 90s lol

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What a complete jank fest.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

also the player jank in that reminds me a ton of FPS games I played in the late 90s lol

Nah, they were way less janky.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Holy hell, how could anyone look at that and cry "Sing hosanna, PC gaming is saved!"?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Mr.PayDay posted:

Ralf Adam, an actual videogame industry veteran and expert in game design and production (in contrast to all made up self claimed "developers" of the main sub) laughed a loving minute after he heard the words "Star Citizen", and this is all you need to know.

User Ranting_Demon was so nice to post a summary of that amazing podcast episode:

quote:

"I don't have the time to listen to the full bit about Star Citizen right now but even the first couple of minutes of the SC segment are pure gold.

• He says that even without having inside knowledge of the project it's possible to use Star Citizen as an example for 75% of all reasons why games get delayed
• He instantly mentions Star Citizen in the same breath as Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever
• He openly laughs and mocks the suggestion that an engine switch like CryEngine to Lumberyard would be even possible in two days (or even easy at all)
• He mentions that developers who want their games to be visually impressive but take too much time may end up in a position that even though they got everything working they need to start over again because their finished game is no longer looking good compared to actual industry visual standards.

And I might add, all of the above is just from the first 4 minutes of the whole Star Citizen segment.

Edit:

Listened a bit more to it in the background.

Most of the segment was only loosely connected to Star Citizen and more about proper pre-production, planning and producing of a game title. But there were a couple of things that did stand out in direct relation to Star Citizen.

• He said that Chris Roberts' way to produce Star Citizen looks like he's working without emphasis on critically important features but instead he seems to jump around wildly to work on various features he finds cool which indicates that there is no proper development plan. Working on cool but unimportant features first means when push comes to shove and you are running short on on both time and money, you are forced to cut essential gameplay features with no more room to manoeuvre which you would have had if you had started on the essential stuff first.
He does not agree at all with Star Citizen's use of the term alpha when they are still adding new features. According to him an alpha as a term used within the games industry is feature locked and not an open grab bag.
• In a proper pre-production of a game all the important game features should already be set up in working demos with no or only minimal artists' involvement just to get a feel for what devs will be working on and what is essential for the game. Artists work on general concept art to define the tone of what the game will look like without going into ultra-specific details. This is all done before actually working on an alpha or pre-alpha.
• The guy who runs the podcast mentions he has personally talked to people involved with Star Citizen and Squadron 42 and he says that even back in the very veeeeery early days when it was just the minimal product (even without any of the kickstarter goals) the devs were fully aware that the release date of 2014 was not possible to achieve. This is mentioned as an example of a common thing within the games industry; it's better to sign a contract based on impossible deadlines and/or too little money for the project and get the money now (and then renegotiate later for more money and more time) than to stand firm on an accurate pre-production plan with enough time and money but nobody will sign a contract with you. But the big reveal is still: People at the heart of CIG knew that a 2014 release date for even the most basic version was basically a lie to get more people to give money for a game that was promised to release "soon."
• He says a game producer should never be in love with developing the games he makes but should instead love shipping the games he makes. If the guy in charge fawns over little details and says "Oh, this is so cool. We should add this and that and you should paint this thing in this way to make it look more awesome" he will never get a game released but instead it will be forever stuck in production limbo. The guy in charge should never be the one to add more bells and whistles but the one who says No and cuts unimportant features from the list so a game can move forward and make it to release.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

I wasn't sure if they were on a frozen lake or terrain disappeared until death cam, but I was leaning towards glitchy terrain. I sure hope that this is on some super low graphics settings because it looks like poo poo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

I wasn't sure if they were on a frozen lake or terrain disappeared until death cam, but I was leaning towards glitchy terrain. I sure hope that this is on some super low graphics settings because it looks like poo poo

buy an idris so that they can afford to develop better ice shaders

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

It's the quality of the glitch that really brings a tear to the eye.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

* I haven't seen anyone vomit ship modules and in practice ship equipment seems to be on a totally separate system from personal equipment which is probably just more evidence of constant duplication of effort, but whatever

Oh it's a thing

Pixelate posted:

Goons who understand game dev, why would this happen?

CHARACTER TURNS INVISIBLE AFTER STRANGE EVENT

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
-Make a change to a ships loadout

ACTUAL RESULT
Ship components appear at character and character turns invisible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ZkzYQ8kuI&t=35s

Please note: Chris Roberts is an acceptable answer

Pixelate posted:

SHIP COMPONENTS SPAWN BELOW ME

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

Every time I spawn some purchased ship components appear below me and even an entire usable elevator ant the game is running since then only with 2 FPS ... The whole stuff even seems to load in the menu, I have already deleted and reinstalled all game files but it is still so, now I will probably request a reset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J8PAL0ORjU&feature=youtu.be Even after

EXPECTED RESULT

This Should not Happen

Pixelate posted:

Major Tom Bug

SHIP COMPONENTS IN THE BEDROOM WHEN RESPAWNING (MAJOR BUG)

quote:

When you wake up, you have many ship components in your bed and the bedroom. You are naked, no Mobiglass, no Chat available. Game is literally broken.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The graveyard of pilots in the middle of nowhere was a pretty good tell that the player becomes the ship.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rugganovich posted:

A member of the Goat Appreciation Society, methinks.

Different sect of shadowy cabalists. We think they're dicks.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Clown Incontinence.

Clown Emporium.

Four floors of frauds, fnord.

Some would call this 'the earliest signs that Chris has brainworms'. it was largely connected with the idea that the thruster layout would result in actual differences in handling, but they abandoned that when it started limiting ships designs.

You know how helicopters tend to look much the same because they fulfill a specific concept of lift using moving wing surfaces?

Dementropy posted:

:reddit::
Similar to the F-35 haters, you guys are going to complain that it doesn't fit the current model of fighters.

Oh Christ.

The F35 doesn't actually fulfill any of the roles that it was designed for, unless you count STOL takeoffs on the UK baby carrier, and they tend to limit range. It was originally procured by three branches, and they all had differing requirements, leading to something that doesn't quite hit all the marks. The Oxylytic system keeps loving up, the synthetic element radar is amazing when it works, but the software is lagging, and the last thing we really need is another partially stealthed limited bomb truck that sucks as a multirole.

It's a generation ahead of anything else, but literally everyone else shifted the battlefield to cheap UAVs and asymmetric warfare.

Edit: I'm biased because I love the A-10 in vaguely unsettling ways, and they thought the F-35 would replace it's role. Ha.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 17, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Of course, I forgot to post https://pages.awscloud.com/AWS-Online-Tech-Talks_2020_0322-GAM.html

"This tech talk is for game developers wanting to utilize containers to maximize the investment of their compute choice to operate game backends and services. We will cover multiple use cases for when and where to use containers and what the options are to run containers on AWS, including Amazon EC2, Amazon EKS, Amazon Fargate, Amazon ECS. We will focus on game backends, how to create surrounding services to support your game with containers, continuous integration and deployment strategies, additional tooling to help scale an environment, and cost saving strategies."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

There once was a miserable fraud
Who the damaged would soundly applaud
He'd appear in a flash
And escape with their cash
To fund a vacation abroad

Holy cow this wins. :)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best part about this is whatever the gently caress is happening in the last few laggy frames of video

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

A strange fellow known as Miku
Found himself in a financial stew
When the jpegs he'd bought
Were worth only naught
Now he's waiting for Star Citizer 2

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Courtesy of a random post in Discord

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

zxqv8 posted:

Courtesy of a random post in Discord

"Pledge more, worm"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Please stop posting pictures of Derek's game. Make a thread about it if you're so interested.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Oh Christ.

The F35 doesn't actually fulfill any of the roles that it was designed for, unless you count STOL takeoffs on the UK baby carrier, and they tend to limit range. It was originally procured by three branches, and they all had differing requirements, leading to something that doesn't quite hit all the marks. The Oxylytic system keeps loving up, the synthetic element radar is amazing when it works, but the software is lagging, and the last thing we really need is another partially stealthed limited bomb truck that sucks as a multirole.

It's a generation ahead of anything else, but literally everyone else shifted the battlefield to cheap UAVs and asymmetric warfare.

Edit: I'm biased because I love the A-10 in vaguely unsettling ways, and they thought the F-35 would replace it's role. Ha.

I think the F35 mentions are just a subtle way to show it's a troll message.

I still have faith in humanity, it seems.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Any developer posted:

He says that even without having inside knowledge of the project it's possible to use Star Citizen as an example for 75% of all reasons why games get delayed
• He instantly mentions Star Citizen in the same breath as Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever

People who aren't in a similar sort of production job - this is massively true to me as a developer.

Hav posted:

it was largely connected with the idea that the thruster layout would result in actual differences in handling, but they abandoned that when it started limiting ships designs.

People who don't get development, just try and take a moment, and think what it would take to make this request happen.

Right now the ship is basically an outline that is mapped to joystick movement. I mean think about Asteroids from the Atari days - that ship spins around and has inertia. You're just replacing Asteroids with a really shiny JPG and making it go up and down. It's been that simple so far.

A breathing rectum walks in and says, let's give the ships physics and make them respond realistically to gear that's installed. And we need this today, and don't spend any money, just magically deliver this tomorrow.

The ship doesn't have any actual weight right now, you're just faking it by making it not speed up all at once. This request means a complete redesign of literally everything about everything. The ship was just a JPG before. Now they want to remake the whole thing out of Minecraft blocks which all have physics. And some of those ships cost thousands of dollars and are goddamn complicated so how the hell will you even do this, because the fans are going to expect the ships to look and behave about the same as they did before this conversion. And your boss is a moron who thinks you can just flip one switch and this will instantly work. So you need to slowly explain to him how his request is really loving dumb, and he doesn't know anything, and since he's an insecure rear end in a top hat he might try to fire you because you won't give him what he wants.

How long since someone posted "The Expert"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Every big new promise they make is like this.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Dressed in black, wearing a tan,
he crobbled together a scam.
Despite backers millions now facing to go broke,
(NO, the worm was not a joke!)
he still doesn't give a drat

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

quote:

:reddit: PLEASE stop the pad-ramming and griefing!

People are under a lot of stress lately and just want to get in the game and relax mining some Laranite or running missions. We know you are bored but please just take it easy and be kind to others.

If you want to fight, issue a challenge on chat and meet up someplace other than Olisar.

Let's make Star Citizen a place to relieve stress not one where we have it increase by getting unfairly bullied and harrassed.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i follow this poo poo now for years,
sometimes i could burst into tears,
did not pay a dime,
not log in one time,
what the hell am i doing in here?

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 17, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

revwinnebago posted:

A breathing rectum walks in and says, let's give the ships physics and make them respond realistically to gear that's installed. And we need this today, and don't spend any money, just magically deliver this tomorrow.

Even better, it turns out that they got the initial code from Crytek as part of their contra deal when they were looking for sub-million dollars, when a bunch of idiots including myself pitched in for another Wing Commander game.

It was extending that flight model that created the fantastic image of aforementioned rectum commenting that 'it' was 'bullshit'.

They could have gotten away with a largely abstracted model based around the thrusters, but real physics and movie physics are largely incompatible.

Meanwhile, in the intersection between Pandemics and Theranos;

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/03/firm-uses-theranos-patents-to-sue-company-making-coronavirus-test/

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 17, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bootcha posted:

Welp, Austin's shut down.

And Bee Cave is inside Travis County, so there's little wiggle room to force Devs to come in and still work through the pandemic.

Well that’s good for another year long delay of SQ42 at least.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 18, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

I still have faith in humanity, it seems.

"toilet paper"

Neat segue into;

"Alien Languages – Do you speak Banu? We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen’s three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi’An and the Banu. No universal translators, no garbled animal noises: Star Citizen’s aliens will be speaking their own authentic languages!"
- July 13th 2014

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

And Bee Cave is inside Travis County, so there's little wiggle room to force Devs to come in and still work through the pandemic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

I live near a A-10 base and it is a comfort to know I probably won't hear the BRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTT live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Bootcha posted:

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-report-us-uk-strategies-e45bc5d4-d2f1-40e2-825e-429b2b7c1b50.html

If US and UK policy mandates telecommuting for non-essential businesses, can virtual meetings take the place of face to face development culture? Probably better suited to this kind of change than are the bars, pubs, movie theaters, etc.

Outside estimate of need for these measures to be enforced is 18 months. Can the bear survive?