Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dat Oxbridge education hell yeah

17 March 2003, Foreign Secretary Robin Cook quits as the government gets ready to invade Iraq

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Humdiha/status/1239900882885586948?s=20

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

countdown to them saying there was nothing they could do, no one saw this coming!

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I work in an industry that regularly runs "Lessons Learned" at the end of projects, and we constantly fail to implement them in the next project. They go into a spreadsheet and forgotten about.

I shouldn't be surprised that the same level of incompetance is prevelant in government.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We're going to need a radical cabinet for this.

Cabinet:
Chuka Umunna
Dr Kwasi Kwarteng
Dr John Redwood
Hilary Benn
Hillary Clinton
Sir Edmund Hillary
Dr Tristram Hunt
David Miliband

Seconded to cabinet:
J. S. Mill
Dr Dre

OwlFancier posted:

It's fairly hard to do wrong with tinned tomatoes IMO.
Heh heh... and now I'm going to fire my toms up your backside...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You want slimer off ghostbusters on your emergency planning committee at a time like this imo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone delivered on that data, 10 pages of graphs and official figures for Italy updated daily.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJr...jFhMSIsImMiOjl9

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dr Philipp’s Whitford sounds like a salve for your nether regions.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hi folks, long time no see. Boy, poo poo sure is getting cray cray, isn't it? I'm just popping in with an important update about the UKMT Solidarity Fund. Apologies for the delays in getting this started which were mostly because I broke my hand (not fun). However the fund committee has now finished selecting an account holder who is Irvine Washington. In light of the current clusterfuck going on around us we are aiming to get this account set up ASAP which does mean that we will have to temporarily use a personal savings account and then move to a more secure account once things have calmed down. This decision was made based on two factors: firstly to ensure no further delays in starting the fund but also because we don't think it's sensible right now for someone to jump between cities to co-sign an account with Irvine. We realise that this may dissuade some people from donating until the long-term account has been set up which we completely understand and we hope we will be able to get things properly settled for you soon. As soon as we have the account set up we will post again with further information.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

It's the avi that does it for me, the stupid dumb cartoon face next to godawful tweets and articles.

Even funnier that in reality he looks like a partially decomposing tenth doctor.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Guavanaut posted:

We're going to need a radical cabinet for this.

Cabinet:
Chuka Umunna
Dr Kwasi Kwarteng
Dr John Redwood
Hilary Benn
Hillary Clinton
Sir Edmund Hillary
Dr Tristram Hunt
David Miliband

Seconded to cabinet:
J. S. Mill
Dr Dre

Heh heh... and now I'm going to fire my toms up your backside...

And to lead this crack crisis team?

Take a look at these hands! Take a look at these hands!
The hand speaks. The hands of a government man.

minema
May 31, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

If you are on your own, its 7 days. If you live in a house with other people its everyone for 14 days.

See it seems like the wording on it can be interpreted either way. I suppose staying at home is the safer choice either way.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1239924970366648320?s=20
https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1239916924580085760?s=20

Something is urging me to post this again

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I found the source for the don’t take Ibuprofen stuff and it’s TRUE and direct from WHO but because it was in forren no one could be arsed to link it.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ialflow_twitter

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

uhh

quote:

The UK government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance is appearing at the House of Common's health committee.

He tells MPs that the UK should start to see rates of infection come down in two to three weeks.

He says it would be "a good outcome" if the number of coronavirus-related deaths in the UK can be kept to below 20,000.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wee dye.

Wee dye.

Weed, aye?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Currently awaiting the results of the meeting at my company to decide what we're doing re: working from home. Meanwhile, speaking to the client this morning about what's going on with site visits, and he didn't understand what I meant.

"Eh? Why would it change? Book the visits as normal." Holy gently caress.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not only did they do nothing to change things, they actively did worse because it was after this that they took us out of EU Pandemic Response.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

talked to boss on the sunday, he told me there was nothing in my job i couldn't do from home, but to come in on the monday

advice changes, i say i'll be working from home - apparently i can't work from home, would have to take stat. sick pay, as there hadn't been any management decision. I offer to work on the ssp, assuming that they'd be changing policy

zero policy changes, so i'm now not doing work at all, while they go ahead and kill people for no reason

great stuff!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

I swear if I see one frog I'm painting lamb's blood on my front door.

Miftan: is there a good approved vegan alternative?

Bad news I'm afraid. This is the time of year that toads (and some particularly stupid frogs) are wandering around getting to their mating ponds.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Is that based on people actually social distancing?

But yeah, ‘only’ 20,000 deaths is best case at the moment. And unlikely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/l__macfarlane/status/1239881369196658689?s=21

lol

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just found out this stuff doesn't exist and is a lie to stop kids pissing in the pool.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
So looking at this NHS England briefing we have 8,000 ventilators right now, with another 4k coming 'soon'. 3,700 critical care beds and about 98,000 acute, 90% of which are already occupied.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like enough.

E: Oh yeah, and we're excluded from the EU-wide ventilator purchase program announced by the EU today, because Brexit.

Johnson isn't Churchill. He's Chamberlain.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 17, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if boris wants to be winston churchill a national government's the way to do it

he can even do nothing and then take credit for what actual decent people do! a boris' dream! nothing but upsides

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
He looks boozey af and did not sign up for anything like this amount of work.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RockyB posted:

So looking at this NHS England briefing we have 8,000 ventilators right now, with another 4k coming 'soon'. 3,700 critical care beds and about 98,000 acute, 90% of which are already occupied.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like enough.

E: Oh yeah, and we're excluded from the EU-wide ventilator purchase program announced by the EU today, because Brexit.

Johnson isn't Churchill. He's Chamberlain.

Chamberlain knew what he was doing, and bought us enough time to rearm even if it was at the expense of the Czechs and Poles. Johnson is Eden, a man completely unable to understand why the world doesn't work the way he thinks it does and doing irreparable harm as a result.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

RockyB posted:

Didn't the EU announce the UK would still be included?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Okay I'm fairly sure this is coincidental/psychological but has anyone noticed just how warm the sunshine is for mid-March? Like it you're out in it it legit feels like a summers day until the air moves a bit and you realise we're still technically in winter. I'm sure I remember a similar feeling in September 2001 when all the planes were grounded, is it possible that the lack of contrails actually makes a noticeable difference?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Just been down the local greengrocers and have never seen it so busy. Tons of food (all fresh, mind) and they're offering to personally drop stuff directly at the door if needed.

Morrisons on the other hand reporting fights over produce - pallets for restocking the shelves literally being swamped and scavenged from as they're being pallet-trucked round from the storeroom. Resulted in everything going straight back into the storeroom and people having to do without.

Bonkers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

non-virus chat:

Thanks for the Roku recommendation - after some pfaffing about I have finally got it up and running (and now having the pain of registering all those wretched accounts for BBC, ITV, UKTV, etc etc).

Possibly the best thing is the Spotify - I can listen to my free spotify account on it.
Even though the sound on my tv is crappy it's not as crappy as my computer sound (unless I put headphones in and I don't want to use headphones all the time). I guess I might be in the market for some new speakers at some point in the future.
A few months ago, I dug out all my old cassettes and matched as much as possible to spotify either albums or pseudo-album playlists so I could chuck the old cassettes away.

Anyway, that's my non-virus story for today.

Ed - also, the hdmi switch works great :D Got my skyhd box HDMI and the ROKU plugged into two of the three inputs and single output to the TV and it has a remote so I don't have to get up and down to switch it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 17, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Cool, our chief scientific adviser is just lying to MPs

quote:

A claim by Britain’s chief scientific advisor in testimony to MPs ( reported earlier) that Taiwan has been successful in containing coronavirus without closing schools is at best somewhat disingenuous, at worst inaccurate.

Taiwan was already on winter break for the Chinese Lunar New year holiday when the scale of the threat became evident to its leadership, which includes an epidemiologist, Vice President Chen Chien-jen.

In response, they extended the winter break. They also promised to extend the summer term, so holidays in July would start two weeks later and as a result children wouldn’t lose any of their classroom time.
x

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tories: we were going to let hundreds of thousands die, out of apathy to anything but our own wallets.

Liberals:

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1239854175388938242?s=19

Just stunning.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Oodles posted:

I work in an industry that regularly runs "Lessons Learned" at the end of projects, and we constantly fail to implement them in the next project. They go into a spreadsheet and forgotten about.

I shouldn't be surprised that the same level of incompetance is prevelant in government.

what you’re saying is that you work in “absolutely any industry at all”?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

pfaffing about

Definitely stealing this spelling for future use.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

what you’re saying is that you work in “absolutely any industry at all”?

Lol my company actually does at least glance at the lessons learned bit, and I remember the utter bafflement when we pulled out the document at the kickoff meeting with a new supplier.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Definitely stealing this spelling for future use.

I've always spelt it like that!

pfaffing
Verb
Present participle of pfaff.
Usage notes
Normally used in the form pfaffing around.

source: https://www.yourdictionary.com/pfaffing

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

pfeffeling

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

pfaffing
Verb
Usage notes

It's always been "faffing" in our family, and indeed my phone keyboard already had it as an autocomplete even though I'm pretty sure I haven't programmed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

pfaffing
Verb
Usage notes

I've never seen that spelling before and even without the parallel to the six-toed middle name of the PM it's much more satisfying for some reason.