Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Everytime I log off Warframe they seem to introduce a whole game mechanic. It's like if Star Citizen were mildly competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phigs posted:

The thing continuing to drag Warframe down for me is the Nightwave system, which is basically a daily/weekly quest system. These systems are designed to FOMO people into playing every day and I simply hate that feeling. I felt the urge to play it again today but I know if I play again I'll start feeling extra anxious every day until I do my dailies and I don't want to do that to myself. It's so annoying to me because Warframe was basically perfect for me until they put that system in. I'd even put money into the game and everything and now it's ruined. Not unhappy with the time and money I spent up til then though.

I never really understood the nightwave stuff. I play warframe off and on so randomly that I'll never get very far in it, and so it feels useless to even try. Which means unless I see a quest immediately about to finish before I log off, I just don't really bother. Because I know, even if I do grind; I'm probably going to miss a bunch more then never get the real rewards. Warframe's basic mechanics are fun, but the devs really like making you run ten miles for a reward that feels like it should only be worth one. And almost everyone who has the warframe brain worms will just be like "Well don't complain, because you don't need it lol". Which is something that extends to every facet of the game. Even the fancy RNG mods that are really tedious to get, unpack into an absolutely random mod for a random weapon with random stat distributions. "Lol its not like you need them to do content." I guess not. But what else is there to do? Getting a cool one sounds like fun, but I don't have a few million platinum to dump on buying one like everyone else seems to, and earning them isn't very fun because they're locked behind really boring content.

Which I guess is my thing with warframe. "I'd like to do [thing] but to do that I'd need to do [other thing] and [other thing] is really tedious and boring and I don't want to do it. So now I just have nothing else to do. So I'll play a different game" Like, farming up prime frames would be cool. But then I'd have to farm relics. But that's not enough because I'd have to upgrade those relics to increase my chances of getting the parts I want. And since most people aren't also farming those relics, and getting farming parties started is very hard unless people also want that specific relic, then it's mostly solo work. Getting a kuva weapon would be cool. But every facet of the kuva lich system sounds entirely not fun and so bizarrely tedious that you can ask a dozen different people and read every guide and wiki, and every single one will have a different and equally confusing explanation on what to do and how to do it. And again, it's heavily RNG gated behind things that are RNG gated, behind an RNG gate. So I'd rather just not bother.

Meanwhile; PSO2 is about to hit tomorrow and they've shoehorned a battle pass system into it. Admittedly we don't know much about it yet, but I've grown to loathe the very premise of them because I've never seen one actually be a net positive for game, and instead just make me wind up hating it and stop playing faster than if that content was added as some garbage quest reward. But even if I don't like what they're doing with the monetization, at least I know the RNG in PSO2 only stops like two layers deep and doesn't become a fractal gently caress-you.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

You know I figured this would happen as I typed it out and I'm ok with that

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I never really understood the nightwave stuff. I play warframe off and on so randomly that I'll never get very far in it, and so it feels useless to even try. Which means unless I see a quest immediately about to finish before I log off, I just don't really bother. Because I know, even if I do grind; I'm probably going to miss a bunch more then never get the real rewards. Warframe's basic mechanics are fun, but the devs really like making you run ten miles for a reward that feels like it should only be worth one. And almost everyone who has the warframe brain worms will just be like "Well don't complain, because you don't need it lol". Which is something that extends to every facet of the game. Even the fancy RNG mods that are really tedious to get, unpack into an absolutely random mod for a random weapon with random stat distributions. "Lol its not like you need them to do content." I guess not. But what else is there to do? Getting a cool one sounds like fun, but I don't have a few million platinum to dump on buying one like everyone else seems to, and earning them isn't very fun because they're locked behind really boring content.

Which I guess is my thing with warframe. "I'd like to do [thing] but to do that I'd need to do [other thing] and [other thing] is really tedious and boring and I don't want to do it. So now I just have nothing else to do. So I'll play a different game" Like, farming up prime frames would be cool. But then I'd have to farm relics. But that's not enough because I'd have to upgrade those relics to increase my chances of getting the parts I want. And since most people aren't also farming those relics, and getting farming parties started is very hard unless people also want that specific relic, then it's mostly solo work. Getting a kuva weapon would be cool. But every facet of the kuva lich system sounds entirely not fun and so bizarrely tedious that you can ask a dozen different people and read every guide and wiki, and every single one will have a different and equally confusing explanation on what to do and how to do it. And again, it's heavily RNG gated behind things that are RNG gated, behind an RNG gate. So I'd rather just not bother.

Meanwhile; PSO2 is about to hit tomorrow and they've shoehorned a battle pass system into it. Admittedly we don't know much about it yet, but I've grown to loathe the very premise of them because I've never seen one actually be a net positive for game, and instead just make me wind up hating it and stop playing faster than if that content was added as some garbage quest reward. But even if I don't like what they're doing with the monetization, at least I know the RNG in PSO2 only stops like two layers deep and doesn't become a fractal gently caress-you.

I think the relics are a bad example because you can just use the ones you have without upgrading and you can buy relics with currency you get for gaining exp (so doing literally anything) and the parts can be traded for currency you can use to buy the primes you want if you don't get what you need through a lucky pub find, but your point is unfortunately very valid and also brings up a different problem.

A lot of things in warframe are usually presented as needing a harder solution than whats actually available and most of the better options you will never hear about unless you ask. We have the relics seen above, Open world faction rep is better done by trading in drops from certain bosses/minibosses, and the recent kuva liches have relics that either drop rarely from kuva siphon missions, or just all the drat time from the thralls you can find on nodes owned by the liches. I really like the game but man DE has as many bad ideas as good ones.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How does Kingmaker fare compared to Deadfire and Original Sin 2? Most CRPGs nowadays have free fast-travel, cheap-respecs, fewer trash mobs, no obnoxious timed missions, and a sensible reputation-system over a nonsensical Karma meter.

I got the the turnbased mod and it works really well. You can actually do positioning and strategy and stuff. You can also hot-key a toggle between turn-based and RtwP for when you need to quickly stomp through trash mods.

The plot is boring garbage though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zoig posted:

I think the relics are a bad example because you can just use the ones you have without upgrading and you can buy relics with currency you get for gaining exp (so doing literally anything) and the parts can be traded for currency you can use to buy the primes you want if you don't get what you need through a lucky pub find, but your point is unfortunately very valid and also brings up a different problem.

A lot of things in warframe are usually presented as needing a harder solution than whats actually available and most of the better options you will never hear about unless you ask. We have the relics seen above, Open world faction rep is better done by trading in drops from certain bosses/minibosses, and the recent kuva liches have relics that either drop rarely from kuva siphon missions, or just all the drat time from the thralls you can find on nodes owned by the liches. I really like the game but man DE has as many bad ideas as good ones.

You're not wrong. Almost everything in warframe can be circumvented just by using the marketplace and platinum to buy whatever you want. But most prime parts have almost no value and since there are so many people selling them with a rather middling amount of desire, if you don't already have a starting chunk you're going to have a bad time in regards to the supply and demand game. But the whole plat thing is another issue; I kind of don't want to just buy everything? Like, yeah a lot of the systems are dumb and tedious. But I also don't want to just buy everything. I'd like to be able to earn the stuff in the game, but have it be a fun and not bad experience.

Like a good example of this is the Shedu (Though I'm sure you don't need this explained at all, and probably could explain it better.). It was a cool weapon that was effective against one of the most obnoxious types of enemies in the game, and it was unique in both style and usage! But you could only get its parts from an alert mission that spawned in hard railjack missions which meant if you didn't have a railjack you'd have to leech off of someone else. They recently made railjacks a lot cheaper to make now, which is good, but before then it cost like, what, six million credits and an absurd amount of resources to make? And on top of that to do the hard missions you had to grind them a lot, which meant you would have to grind them with other people, because doing it solo was a nightmare. Which was a problem because a bad railjack crew could ultimately just be a massive resource drain on you.

So let's say you shell out all of that junk for a railjack. You grind your stats up so you can do the mission. You get a crew of guys to do the mission. And then you do it. Well, tough luck. I did the mission every chance I could before getting distracted by another game that came out, and I didn't see a single shedu part drop. Some people were far more lucky and got multiple, which were worth a lot on the marketplace. But I didn't see any. If you had a good grasp of how the game worked you could quit and retry multiple times instead of finishing the mission to save a few minutes since it was only around for like half an hour or something, but a lot of people might not know you could do that. And eventually I just gave up on trying because it wasn't fun to wait around for this one alert mission to pop up (and the game did a pretty poor job at communicating when it was available), get people together who wouldn't just bung it up, do the mission, get to the part where the parts could drop, kill the enemies, and then restart only to get nothing time and time again. It was just too much for one weapon, mostly because it wasn't even interesting or fun. The mission sucked and was full of enemies that were no fun to fight. Quitting and restarting a mission is never fun, but it was the only way to squeeze more chances in. And that's after you factor in all the railjack stuff, which while it's a fun enough game mode, isn't really that fun after you start grinding it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I will definitely second the idea that it's more fun to grind for something directly rather than grind something to sell for currency to buy the thing you actually want. Especially with the way trades work in Warframe. But even with a nice AH like Diablo 3 had it's not as much fun for me to essentially grind for currency. It feels too much like a job and less like a game when it works like that.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I think the best way to do daily rewards is a system like World of Warships uses, where you're rewarded for logging in 10 days out of a 14 day cycle. That way there's no pressure to log in every day in order to not miss out on the big reward, yet you're still rewarded for logging in on a regular basis. You also don't have to grind out a quest or activity, just logging in is enough.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

After finally diving in and playing the Maldives level in Hitman 2 the New York level seems even worse by comparison somehow.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

food court bailiff posted:

After finally diving in and playing the Maldives level in Hitman 2 the New York level seems even worse by comparison somehow.

This is how I learned that the second new location for Hitman 2 has been released. Looks like it was late last year? There still seems to be no way to know it exists on Steam beyond going to Hitman 2. Clicking on the Expansion Pass and then scrolling down to see reviews that start with "now that all the content is out".

The thing dragging it down is I forgot new content was even due for it and deleted it off my drive.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'm playing this game called stronghold, a castle RTS i guess you'd call it.
On this one mission i've been given what feels like 3 inches of space to build an entire fortress, right next to a bunch of bears who just amble in and kill everyone,i'm being rushed to make archers and walls but then i'm wasting time.
loving annoying.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Divinity: Original Sin II

The first act has 10 hours of content and will take you from level 1 to 8. The second act probably has 30 hours of content and will take you from 8 to 16. Thus your level progression will soon slow to a crawl which is a problem since levels in this game are exponential. You have 280 HP at level 10 and 2800 HP at level 20. There is a ton of quests but unlike the more linear first act they're all spread over an open map. Other games such as Deadfire or the new Assassins Creed mark locations and quests by level, but you're not given the courtesy here. You have to keep a shopping list of places where you'll get your rear end kicked.

The above means you have to upgrade the two dozen bits of gear your party is wearing every 1-2 levels, which adds up to twenty minutes of inventory management each time.

The enemy AI is far too pragmatic. It ought to be more random and chaotic instead being so overly meta-gamed.The order of battles is so strict in its structure that you hardly ever get to whale on weaker opponents.

There's a part in the main quest where your character has to fight two monsters in a dream. One monster is immune to physical damage and the other is immune to magic. This game strongly discourages hybrid builds so for one half of the fight you may have to kill a monster with chip damage. You can't die but you will waste your time. There was no reason for why this fight was in the game at all. It reminds me of how Disco Elysium had this one skill-check you must succeed at all costs or else you're blocked from continuing the game.

Wizards get no love. I max out intelligence and yet my magic damage still feels weak.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:01 on Mar 19, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm playing this game called stronghold, a castle RTS i guess you'd call it.
On this one mission i've been given what feels like 3 inches of space to build an entire fortress, right next to a bunch of bears who just amble in and kill everyone,i'm being rushed to make archers and walls but then i'm wasting time.
loving annoying.

I know what mission you're on, something that helps a lot: You can command your lord to attack things, say those bears. The lord is a pretty beefy unit and iirc you don't really face any other attacks that mission so its ok if he is all beaten up. Just don't let him die.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Slay is a nice light strategy game that I've sunk 300 hours into but the one thing I really hate about it is how it handles idle units/buildings. Every turn you can move each of your guys and if you have enough money can recruit from your capital. The game helpfully reminds you if you try to end turn that hey you could move a unit or you could buy something. But only that those things exist. Not specifically what you can move or where you can buy. And there's no way to like flag a unit or building as deliberately idle so if you specifically want to leave something idle the message becomes useless. There's no way to cycle through units or buildings either so you have to scan the map for things every time. It can be real annoying early on when your stuff is spread out all over the place and you want to save for various reasons.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Trials of Mana's demo came out on Steam yesterday, so I downloaded it to see if it's as good as the old SNES game it's a new version of.

In the old SNES version, one of the characters is a 3 foot nothing elf girl. Who's really 15. Who talks in a really stilted and childish way. Well in this remake, Square opted for the single most obnoxious way to make a character sound childish.

The whole game is voice acted, too. The kind of voice acting where the actors were apparently told to match the character's lip flaps. So all the voices are really stilted sounding. There's nothing like a JRPG where one of the characters is voiced by an adult woman doing a really stilted, childish affectation while also speaking with an extremely thick lisp. :shepicide:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I guess that would make you pick Kevin to as your healer instead. Although Kevin is a furry who was forced to kill his (actual) wolf buddy, so I imagine he's not much better.

Edit: Here a trailer that features both characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8PARMrU5gI

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Mar 19, 2020

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Leal posted:

I know what mission you're on, something that helps a lot: You can command your lord to attack things, say those bears. The lord is a pretty beefy unit and iirc you don't really face any other attacks that mission so its ok if he is all beaten up. Just don't let him die.

I ended up rush building a pen around the bears and having my archers just fire arrows in,this next missions just a free for all fight and it’s even worse.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm like 30 pages back in the thread but I just want to say

Zoig posted:

I think ring fit works best when you just need to do exercise, but also have a really good reason to not go outside (like say, winter).

:hmmyes:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DoubleNegative posted:

Trials of Mana's demo came out on Steam yesterday, so I downloaded it to see if it's as good as the old SNES game it's a new version of.

In the old SNES version, one of the characters is a 3 foot nothing elf girl. Who's really 15. Who talks in a really stilted and childish way. Well in this remake, Square opted for the single most obnoxious way to make a character sound childish.

The whole game is voice acted, too. The kind of voice acting where the actors were apparently told to match the character's lip flaps. So all the voices are really stilted sounding. There's nothing like a JRPG where one of the characters is voiced by an adult woman doing a really stilted, childish affectation while also speaking with an extremely thick lisp. :shepicide:

It's enough to make me desperately not want to add her to my party, healing power be damned.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Picked up The Mummy Demastered on a whim since it's on sale. It's a surprisingly nice Metroid-lite type platformer but with one thing I hate: the combination of vertically-oriented levels with crumbling platforms and hefty knockback from all the enemies constantly flying back and forth. I know that's not an uncommon design, but it is getting pretty old to repeatedly fall down the same set of jumps because a random mook keeps bumping into me before I can shoot it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Exit the Gungeon is pure delight so far but it is basically criminal that the only button you can rebind is Shoot. I mean, it's good that they let you rebind shoot in the first place (anyone who defaults firing a weapon to the Switch's piddly little shoulder buttons instead of the Z triggers is some kind of sadistic jerk) but I'd really like to mess with it just a little and get it more in tune with the action platformer setups that I'm used to.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Picked up The Mummy Demastered on a whim since it's on sale. It's a surprisingly nice Metroid-lite type platformer but with one thing I hate: the combination of vertically-oriented levels with crumbling platforms and hefty knockback from all the enemies constantly flying back and forth. I know that's not an uncommon design, but it is getting pretty old to repeatedly fall down the same set of jumps because a random mook keeps bumping into me before I can shoot it.

i really dug Mummy Demastered but yeah it has some rough edges. Later powers help mitigate those issues nut when you are depowered, it can suck. Sometimes the death mechanic works against you there...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It reminds me of a neat tank game on steam called Helena the Third, basically a spiritual successor to Blaster Master, but it has really bad checkpointing halfway through the game. It wasn't so bad, but in the crystal cave levels you basically have ot get through the whole thing in one go or start right from the start, and it's a big area with no real ingame map.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One more Mummy complaint, I got to the second (I think?) big boss, and it's just a bullet spongey mess. I'm not adept enough to get in close and tank it, so I found a reasonably safe pattern to stay in from a distance. But that takes minutes on end as you whittle it down, and the nasty surprise is that you go through four (!) stages of decreasing safe area until the final one where there's no safe spot and I get flustered and lose. Then it's back to start and another 5+ minutes of shooting before you even get to the tough bit :arghfist:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

One more Mummy complaint, I got to the second (I think?) big boss, and it's just a bullet spongey mess. I'm not adept enough to get in close and tank it, so I found a reasonably safe pattern to stay in from a distance. But that takes minutes on end as you whittle it down, and the nasty surprise is that you go through four (!) stages of decreasing safe area until the final one where there's no safe spot and I get flustered and lose. Then it's back to start and another 5+ minutes of shooting before you even get to the tough bit :arghfist:

is that the one in the underground rail tunnels? that was the worst one in my experience.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

is that the one in the underground rail tunnels? that was the worst one in my experience.

Yep, good to hear. It's weird because its recognizable as their typical boss design but they're usually better at figuring out a reasonable fight length. It'd be decent if it just ended at the second room.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought that the reception to the first one was largely positive, how's Team Sonic Racing?

My main issues with Crash Team Racing is that it feels like every track is so narrow and also bumping into a wall instantly kills your speed. That and you're always just driving a kart that doesn't transform so they don't really play around with that as much as I'd like.

I've been thinking about getting Mario Kart 8 since I've never played one but if I get it and then a new one gets released in 4 months I'm gonna feel like an idiot so I just haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I thought that the reception to the first one was largely positive, how's Team Sonic Racing?

My main issues with Crash Team Racing is that it feels like every track is so narrow and also bumping into a wall instantly kills your speed. That and you're always just driving a kart that doesn't transform so they don't really play around with that as much as I'd like.

I've been thinking about getting Mario Kart 8 since I've never played one but if I get it and then a new one gets released in 4 months I'm gonna feel like an idiot so I just haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet.

Team Sonic is disappointing garbage, as a big fan of the Sega All-Stars games (which were sometimes better than Mario Kart in their generation). Mario Kart 8 is far and away the best kart racer ever, and I don't see a sequel coming soon enough to worry about. It's superb, just go for it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yep, good to hear. It's weird because its recognizable as their typical boss design but they're usually better at figuring out a reasonable fight length. It'd be decent if it just ended at the second room.

i found it particularly frustrating because you'll probably not have a tonne of weapons based on where you are gameplaywise, so youre likely to quickly use up heavy machine gun ammo, find the shotgun's range appallingly useless, and then be stuck with the piddly firepower of the SMG--not normally a big issue, but that the bosses are kinda bullet spongey and it's really noticeable there.

at the very least the boss track is a real banger: https://youtu.be/xkdUfus96-o

Sally has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Mar 20, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

i found it particularly frustrating because you'll probably not have a tonne of weapons based on where you are gameplaywise, so youre likely to quickly use up heavy machine gun ammo, find the shotgun's range appallingly useless, and then be stuck with the piddly firepower of the SMG--not normally a big issue, but that the bosses are kinda bullet spongey and it's really noticeable there.

I finally beat it, with the confidence that comes from thinking you have a full health bar to play with, rather than the single-digit health that was actually there :sweatdrop:

Dash Rendar posted:

at the very least the boss track is a real banger: https://youtu.be/xkdUfus96-o

Oh yeah, the soundtrack's been consistently solid (even if it's no Pirate's Curse...)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
metro exodus, like many poorly done open-world games, hides most of its flavor text and background info in itty-bitty diary collectibles that are nearly impossible to find on their gigantic maps

and hardly any of the text has been transcribed either so i can't just look it up online

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Morpheus posted:

It's enough to make me desperately not want to add her to my party, healing power be damned.

If it's anything like the original SD3, playing without a healer is absolutely viable

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Original Sin 2:

There are quests where the best outcome is to break the scripting to avoid so much misery. There's an escort mission where you free a guy from imprisonment and then you take out the inquisitors surrounding him. Only your free guy runs around like a loving idiot and accidentally summons a dozen hostile blob monsters. You're outnumbered three-to-one and it's inevitable the free guy gets himself killed. You can technically tough it out and save him OR you can teleport him far enough away from his starting point so he doesn't enter the ensuing battle and doesn't trip the event flag for the blob monsters. This sounds like praise but this is like killing the Yellow Devil with the pause button; it feels rough when you have to straight up cheese to win at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's pretty much expected that you'll play dirty to win in D:OS2 and playing dirty is fun in that game, so I would recommend doing that, or at the very least planning out your encounters better. There are dozens of ways you can manipulate the environment and turn order before the fight starts to your own advantage.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Doom eternal is a good game but its got like, a billion small issues that drag it down. Since its new I will stick with the most immediate thing that the game has a awful first two levels where you only have 2 or 3 guns and not very many tools and it just feels awful.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Team Sonic is disappointing garbage, as a big fan of the Sega All-Stars games (which were sometimes better than Mario Kart in their generation). Mario Kart 8 is far and away the best kart racer ever, and I don't see a sequel coming soon enough to worry about. It's superb, just go for it.

I bought it on switch when it came out and it was such a wet fart compared to the last sonic racer, which was weirdly good. It just... felt bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought it on switch when it came out and it was such a wet fart compared to the last sonic racer, which was weirdly good. It just... felt bad.

I didn't even own a Switch until like, the 10th of December anyway so I would have no perspective on this with me buying the Deluxe edition. What was lacking for it?

Aside from them not adding Pauline or Peachette into the game still.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't even own a Switch until like, the 10th of December anyway so I would have no perspective on this with me buying the Deluxe edition. What was lacking for it?

Aside from them not adding Pauline or Peachette into the game still.

The last sonic racing game was in 2012 or 2013 and it was a well-made kart game with fun weapons and mechanics. The new one just feels cheap. Like everyone involved put in like 80 percent less effort.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zoig posted:

Doom eternal is a good game but its got like, a billion small issues that drag it down. Since its new I will stick with the most immediate thing that the game has a awful first two levels where you only have 2 or 3 guns and not very many tools and it just feels awful.

Giant corporate project plagued by tiny issues. Surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Zoig posted:

Does it pick up after that? I played through the first level last night and part of the second and was super down about the feel of things. The pivot to "more chainsaw" is likely a good one, but the constraints on ammo and weapon availability early on make getting a feel for it troublesome. The chainsaw fuel indicator needs to be more "at a glance"-able as well imo. I'm sure that solves itself with upgrades over time, but good lord that first level isn't super fun. Doomguy also feels oddly slow as well, but I know there's a dash coming up so I'll put that aside for now. Coming off a 2016 run the other day is likely just causing the issues.

The UX of the GUI is bewildering though. 2016's was perfectly fine and did the job well, but Eternal's needs an additional pass or two. Mouse sensitivity in the GUI doesn't mirror ingame settings. Having to press a key to read the codec entries is super weird too, doubly so in that they made you reach across to Enter instead of Space (and used Space for looking at the picture). The map also seems a bit off, but I can't put my finger on why.

Is the 60FPS cap an engine thing? I'd like to get it up to 144FPS, but I can live with 60.

Nothing terrible here, but it seems to lack some polish that '16 had.