Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Look Sir Droids posted:

Decided to learn Crusader Kings 2 during quarantine time and I’m uh, really bad at it!

CK2 is misleading because it seems like you should be playing it as an empire builder but you can have just as much fun loving around with a couple of duchies in Ireland. The meat of the game is a medieval court simulator with a pretty map tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

It's a good thing my kids are cute because if I have to be stuck at home with these two little assholes for two weeks that will be the only thing that keeps me from dropping them off at an orphanage

Two weeks? Lol, school won't go back into session this (school) year.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Phil Moscowitz posted:

A 48 year old lawyer at a firm here in town is on a ventilator from COVID-19. This poo poo is real.

I just read the news article about who I presume you’re talking about. Awful and terrifying.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_35531ff4-66d9-11ea-95b0-7797f71d169a.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

It's a good thing my kids are cute because if I have to be stuck at home with these two little assholes for two weeks that will be the only thing that keeps me from dropping them off at an orphanage

My two year old is making a play for queen of our apartment. She has taken to answering her own requests on our behalf and told me very sternly to stop telling her not to do something.

This is gonna be a rough few months.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
yeah

pulled my kid out of day care a week ago and now quite frankly I'm contemplating whether I want to survive this

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
e: not constructive, sorry

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Working from home tip: I'm sure these weird minecraft youtube videos are very educational.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Toona the Cat posted:

I just read the news article about who I presume you’re talking about. Awful and terrifying.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_35531ff4-66d9-11ea-95b0-7797f71d169a.html

That’s him. It’s insane.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I have the option to work from home but hearings are still going forward ugh.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Our Courts just cancelled all "non-essential" hearings through April

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That’s him. It’s insane.

Hope you laid in your booze supplies. All bars closed, all restaurants takeout or delivery.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavir...w5NTje5lsqoyTyY

blarzgh posted:

Georgia basically tolled everything and said "do like DV restraining orders and not much more."

https://www.gasupreme.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/CJ-Melton-amended-Statewide-Jud-Emergency-order.pdf

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

The big county on our end of the state is continuing all civil cases except:
1) Emergency TROs
2) mental health (immediate danger to self or others stuff)
3) Evictions.
Evictions. WTeverlovingF.

The surrounding countries are copying the big county, but I asked my presiding judge to leave out the 'and kick poor people put of their homes' and they agreed.

(Criminal and juvenile cases to continue as before)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 16, 2020

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, Bay area is locking down so I need to find out what hearings are still moving forward because I think I'm gonna be sent home while it is in place.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Bay-Area-must-shelter-in-place-Only-15135014.php

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
BC courts shutting down expect for urgent child protection and in custody criminal proceedings. It's absolute chaos this morning.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i ve been telling everyone that a permanent Paw Patrol marathon is our last , best hope for peace

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I've been calling up attorney's offices and it seems like they're making staff go in and answer phones and deal with mail and stuff. Presumably the attorneys are working from home though. Speaking of which, why do most places answer the phone with a bored, "Law Office".

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

sullat posted:

I've been calling up attorney's offices and it seems like they're making staff go in and answer phones and deal with mail and stuff. Presumably the attorneys are working from home though. Speaking of which, why do most places answer the phone with a bored, "Law Office".

Yeah I don't get that at all. At least say what law office it is so I don't waste both of our time.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

thehoodie posted:

Yeah I don't get that at all. At least say what law office it is so I don't waste both of our time.

Because 'Law Offices' of one or two people share office space and admin staff with other 'Firms' in the same building and all the phones go to the same shared staff.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Back when I was at a little firm that did that, the reason I got was because (1) there were multiple law firm/legal claim processing entities using the same number in that office, made up of different combinations of the various lawyers there; and (2) they didn’t want people to hear a firm name and assume that firm was their lawyer.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Last Friday our courts set over most civil cases except TROs, preliminary injunctions, guardianships, one other thing I can't remember, and I think evictions (though for some reason evictions were discussed in the criminal section, not the civil case section...and evictions have a statutory hearing requirement anyways, which is I think why they felt they couldn't cancel them).

Criminal side is a hot mess, in no small part because they've kept 90% of criminal hearings - in-custody hearings, initial appearances, preliminary hearings, bail hearings, and sentencing hearings.

So what I'm saying is unless the courts change their mind asap, all of the prosecutors, defense counsel, bailiffs, and defendants are going to get sick.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Someone hosed up here.

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1239680661406896128

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Had a full day in court today so I'll be shocked if I wasn't infected. Luckily appearances Tuesday-Thursday are all by phone now. Still waiting to see what happens with an in-custody sentencing set for Friday.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
That does not seem to be at all abnormal. Troll buys patents from bankrupt company and asserts them.

Holmes is a named inventor.

Also, how goddamned old is morgan chu these days.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

They finally did the shutdown. Basically everything for the next 30 days is continued and I'm working from home for the next few weeks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
We are at WFH for 4 of 5 days a week. I kind of suspect that will turn into 5 soon.
Gavin just asked all restaurants to close except for take out. They're going to need to make it an order, I drove by a bar tonight with a full parking lot. Gavin (and a lot of other politicians) haven't learned that asking nicely isn't good enough, you need to go all president madigascar.

Apparently they closed one of my old courts like halfway through the calendar, causing chaos. Sacramento County Court appears to still be open. My dad did a loving mediation today (he's 70), so I'm a bit grumpy. I'm still not sure he's not still going to the loving gym.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, my paralegal is diffusing enough essential oils to summon a forest spirit

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Meanwhile, my paralegal is diffusing enough essential oils to summon a forest spirit

lol

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
I am social distancing by keeping my office door closed and playing on my phone all day.

All schools are closed across the territory and parents get paid time off to stay with their kids, while those of us without children are still required to show up. That's not going to cause a morale dip at all, no sir.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tipps posted:

I am social distancing by keeping my office door closed and playing on my phone all day.

All schools are closed across the territory and parents get paid time off to stay with their kids, while those of us without children are still required to show up. That's not going to cause a morale dip at all, no sir.

I'm social distancing by making a sourdough starter.

Also thank Ivar Aasen I'm norwegian and a civil serpent, I don't have to worry about losing my job or not getting paid at all. In fact a united parliament has put forth a massive social benefits package that so far is gonna minimize the impact of this pandemic for small/tiny businesses, self employed and low-income folks, at least for the first month. Businesses that don't pay out profits or shareholder equity will also be eligible for incredibly cheap government loans to keep afloat.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Over the weekend a neighboring county just ordered all restaurants to go to takeout/delivery only, no dine-in service. My county followed suit yesterday. I know tons of coffee shops are closing down for the near future, and I bet about half of the restaurants out there will shutter their doors for the emergency. The other half will survive on Door Dash.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Going on my fourth day of constant interaction with my kids, I severely underestimated how much hard liquor I would need to get through this

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I came back from one country with clown car detection and response (UK) to another country with clown car detection and response (Russia) so now I am self-isolating by working from home (though I will probably have to go out for groceries and all that).
I expect to play the everloving poo poo out of Doom Eternal over the weekend.
Pandemic bad.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Let me know how it is. I might need to let out some aggression once my offices goes to work from home permanently instead of intermittently.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Ended up nabbing a 170 on the LSAT. A few weeks ago, I was thinking about that kind of score would make it harder for me to resist applying to a school that I actually have to pay for. But given everything else, I'm barely excited with my big dumb number.

Academic law library update: the university administration is being extremely wrongheaded about what to do and is keeping the library open. I have the option of working from home, and I decided to exercise it, but myself and several staff members are emailing the staff and college dean about the dangerous working conditions they're creating. And, of course, nobody is in the library, so all we're doing is taking public transportation to sit around in an office with each other for a few hours.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 17, 2020

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Ended up nabbing a 170 on the LSAT. A few weeks ago, I was thinking about that kind of score would make it harder for me to resist applying to a school that I actually have to pay for. But given everything else, I'm barely excited with my big dumb number.

Now is the best time to pivot into a career as a plague wagon driver.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tipps posted:

Now is the best time to pivot into a career as a plague wagon driver.

If my library stays open, I won't even have to find a new employer.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Apply to a bunch of schools you'd have to pay for, maybe even the whole T14. Even if you're only going to a TTT and/or evening program, you can use acceptances from higher ranks schools to negotiate scholarships. This strategy made me an easy $50k. Well worth the effort.

Fake Edit: I just remembered you might be able to go for free anyway? Still, advice stands for others, even though you're like the only fresh meat we've had in like 2 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My initial results were negative. The ER though said it could be a false negative. They don’t know the rates. Waiting to hear back from the VA about what to do with my pneumonia and if they’ll test me again.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Apply to a bunch of schools you'd have to pay for, maybe even the whole T14. Even if you're only going to a TTT and/or evening program, you can use acceptances from higher ranks schools to negotiate scholarships. This strategy made me an easy $50k. Well worth the effort.

Fake Edit: I just remembered you might be able to go for free anyway? Still, advice stands for others, even though you're like the only fresh meat we've had in like 2 years.

Yeah, I'm guaranteed a tuition benefit from my employer, which means I pay income taxes on the sticker price. I anticipated having this problem, but I never really explored my options outside of my employer, which was probably a mistake. I was working under the assumption that based on my income and demographics, I don't make a particularly good candidate for a large scholarship at the better schools I can get into. I have no idea how my 3.8 GPA and 170 LSAT affect that an admissions office's decision process about tuition.

Part of my issue now is that I'm applying very late in the cycle for next fall, so that puts me in a pretty intense time constraint. And, well, everything else that's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Doing all my classes remote and getting buff with some Prison PowerTM workouts and intensive stretching sessions all from the comfort of my room.