Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warbadger posted:

In this particular case, because the CCP is attempting to claim it came from elsewhere, it's not entirely inappropriate to keep mentioning it came from China. Which is, admittedly, not necessarily why Donald Trump is doing it...

What? It's entirely inappropriate and racist as gently caress to point this out. It has absolutely no bearing on the viruses existence, it's not at all relevant. Trump is saying this because he is a Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lambert posted:

Casual racism: It's cool again!

Maybe we should have higher expectations for the President's conduct.

I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't appeared on TV pulling his eyelids to do 'slit eyes' and doing 'The Chinese Accent'. Yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't appeared on TV pulling his eyelids to do 'slit eyes' and doing 'The Chinese Accent'. Yet.

My grandfather called it "Asian slur" virus the other day. He said he wouldn't say it again but I'm not sure I trust him on that. But hey at least the president hasn't done THAT yet. He could be so much more blatantly racist

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tei posted:

Calling it a chinese virus put people with asian ancestors in risk to suffer the consequence of racism.
It may also enforce the wrong feeling that "the virus is there, not here" that will catch people off guard.

Trump say a lot of moron things every day, but seems decided to double down latelly.

Virus have not nationally, for them we are just humans. We are togueter agaist a common enemy, the virus.

Yeah, if he calls it the "Chinese Virus" people might not notice that every store is closed and every form of media is telling them that there is a virus in our country.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

By the way, if, like me, you haven't mined any proteincoins in a very long time, you can heat your home and help model coronavirus proteins at the same time with folding@home

SA is team 150. There's a shortage of work right now due to massive support but that will be corrected soon.

thread

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You all better not be insulting China itt......

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I got a cough, but I'm not silly enough to call it a gina cough to anyone but myself.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hardawn posted:

I got a cough, but I'm not silly enough to call it a gina cough to anyone but myself.

Wait where are you coughing out of?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
:wink:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Harminoff posted:

In the end, what everyone made fun of Andrew Yang for becomes a reality.

I made fun of him for the dumbass funding model, UBI itself is useful

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I said come in! posted:

What? It's entirely inappropriate and racist as gently caress to point this out. It has absolutely no bearing on the viruses existence, it's not at all relevant. Trump is saying this because he is a Nazi.
:allears:
I'm sure you're just as worried about the consequences when China blames vulnerable groups...
https://twitter.com/ChineseSomalia/status/1239639548101103617?s=19

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

I made fun of him for the dumbass funding model, UBI itself is useful

yang is the stereotypical dude with good intentions but is too dumb to actually understand how things actually work

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Bought some Guinness and baileys and Jameson last week so I can drink some quarantine bombs

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'm sure you're just as worried about the consequences when China blames vulnerable groups...

this is literally a kindergartners argument congratulations. do you need to be told that two wrongs don't make a right? save your all ears for the NBA thread not literally making excuses for trumps racism.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Bought some Guinness and baileys and Jameson last week so I can drink some quarantine bombs

Best drink tbh

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Redgrendel2001 posted:

probably Xinjiang

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
It’s a goddamn virus that came from pangolin tits who cares what country it came from

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

H1N1 - "The North American Pig Flu" as it was not dubbed.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

My wife and kids were facetiming with her parents a little bit ago. My father-in-law, who as recently as two days ago, said this was all hype and overblown, told my wife, "Be careful when you go out on walks, some criminals might attack you! We're only 3 days away from martial law!". He apparently still thinks the virus is no big deal, but we need to worry about everyone panicking. Which, Jesus loving Christ, how can you be so blasé about a very real threat, but so worried about something that hasn't happened, shows no signs of happening, and very likely will not happen? We knew Fox News ate his brain a looooong time ago (he was on the Rush Limbaugh train back in the early 90's), but that's just so many kinds of stupid.

In a related note, it seems like both my mom and MIL are taking things seriously, but neither my dad nor FIL are. Is anyone else seeing this?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I am going to call them quarantine bombs from now on, me and my friends have joked every time we make or order them that we really need to come up with a better name for them but promptly forget after slamming them.

Tasty but drat dangerous that half can per drink really gets you when you buy a 4 pack of Guinness to make these since it's still over 1 standard drink per glass when you add in the hard stuff. Okay 1 can left that's not going in the fridge, oh wait there's still half in this one too, guess I'm having 2 more after this. Suddenly you are on the floor in front of the toilet regretting being too lazy to go to the fridge.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I can die comfortable as long as I know precisely who to pinpoint my blame. Ahhhh, satisfying.... Almost as much as a deep and meaning breath of air.... almost :yohoho:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s a goddamn virus that came from pangolin tits who cares what country it came from

What are the pangolin's political leanings? This is important.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Rutibex posted:

would people riot during a pandemic and surely infect themselves? nah I think we will see an increase in night time crimes, not day time rioting

Hello from France, land of the protest and home of the riot

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/14/french-protesters-demanding-action-coronavirus-flout-ban-large-gatherings-12398665/

https://www.france24.com/en/20200314-french-yellow-vests-defy-coronavirus-measures-to-demonstrate-in-paris-on-eve-of-elections

The best one is the students protesting the coronavirus measures as too weak by...gathering in large numbers in public and rioting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Possible the pangolin. I mean if their intrested, I say they certainly have a right to know!
I mean between getting eaten and getting blamed for deadly pandemics they're not having a very good time at the moment it seems.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, if he calls it the "Chinese Virus" people might not notice that every store is closed and every form of media is telling them that there is a virus in our country.

They will think that "it will not be that hard here than in <terrritory>"..

Because humans are like that, they see a flood or a fire or a sexual transmit disease, and think is a thing that happens to Other people, and not to them. They take risks, and then it happen to them

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It's important because many other countries would have admitted its existence sooner, and allowed foreign investigations/support to minimize the spread and get accurate data.

So when a virus originates in China it means something from now on.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
I haven't really seen this talked about, but we're expecting to start having a large shortage of blood soon due to blood donation drives being cancelled. If you're able to safely donate blood then please do so.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

WaffleZombie posted:

My wife and kids were facetiming with her parents a little bit ago. My father-in-law, who as recently as two days ago, said this was all hype and overblown, told my wife, "Be careful when you go out on walks, some criminals might attack you! We're only 3 days away from martial law!". He apparently still thinks the virus is no big deal, but we need to worry about everyone panicking. Which, Jesus loving Christ, how can you be so blasé about a very real threat, but so worried about something that hasn't happened, shows no signs of happening, and very likely will not happen? We knew Fox News ate his brain a looooong time ago (he was on the Rush Limbaugh train back in the early 90's), but that's just so many kinds of stupid.

In a related note, it seems like both my mom and MIL are taking things seriously, but neither my dad nor FIL are. Is anyone else seeing this?

Yes, my MIL has completely isolated, FIL goes out once a week for coffee with his doctor friends. It mirrors their relationship pattern of "FIL does whatever, MIL does the worrying for two"

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I was thinking earlier today about what a better name for that drink would be, and I'm not that creative. I think you just nailed it. Sadly, I don't have Guinness, so I can't test it. Eh, I'll figure something out.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
An invisible enemy is the perfect badge to drop on anyone you feel like.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tei posted:

They will think that "it will not be that hard here than in <terrritory>"..

Because humans are like that, they see a flood or a fire or a sexual transmit disease, and think is a thing that happens to Other people, and not to them. They take risks, and then it happen to them

I kind of agree with that statement. I just think that the humans who are like that really do need something to happen to them in order to understand it, and it barely matters what they are told beforehand.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

poverty goat posted:

By the way, if, like me, you haven't mined any proteincoins in a very long time, you can heat your home and help model coronavirus proteins at the same time with folding@home

SA is team 150. There's a shortage of work right now due to massive support but that will be corrected soon.

thread

came to also mention that the work units are low and if you see "downloading" just let it run it'll get a work unit when one is avaliable.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Just dropped in to see how the annual SA existential panic is going

OK looks good, carry on

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The CCP probably does have at least some bearing on the virus' existence insofar as supporting the exotic animal trade (assuming it came from pangolins), regulating the markets it seemingly originated in, and running a coverup during the initial outbreak including at least one case of officially threatening a doctor attempting to draw attention to it. It's not racist or inappropriate to draw attention to these things when the same government is attempting to claim it was planted or originated elsewhere.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
We're going to have the ability to view COVID-19 test results online in Alberta very soon. I hope that helps people and frees up some scarce resources right now. Genuinely impressed with how fast some things are moving.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Munin posted:

H1N1 - "The North American Pig Flu" as it was not dubbed.
Trump would definitely be calling it Mexican Pig Flu if he was in office at the time and it hurt his reelection chances

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Warbadger posted:

The CCP probably does have at least some bearing on the virus' existence insofar as supporting the exotic animal trade (assuming it came from pangolins), regulating the markets it seemingly originated in, and running a coverup during the initial outbreak including at least one case of officially threatening a doctor attempting to draw attention to it. It's not racist or inappropriate to draw attention to these things when the same government is attempting to claim it was planted or originated elsewhere.

The dumbest loving takes here. Incredible

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

hofnar posted:

Just dropped in to see how the annual SA existential panic is going

OK looks good, carry on

Do we get to skip one in 2021 since we're on our second?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Goddamn, China is not messing around.

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1239753294265765888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Warbadger posted:

Yeah, calling that poo poo out is not racist. Dubbing the disease the "wu-flu", "China flu". "chop-fluey" all is stupid, inflammatory, and racist, though. The latter is what people are complaining about, so...