Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

lol United just canceled our flight home next week. These gigantic loving assholes.

Edit: we got them on the phone and are now flying out of Narita instead of Haneda and to EWR which is 15 away from home instead of JFK which is like an hour + from home. So everything came up us.

Let us hope they sort out this situation before you get back to the US
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1239128537409478658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bofast posted:

Lol you know they won’t

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol you know they won’t

Probably not, but maybe they will largely run out of returning Americans by then.
Then again, this is for people coming back from Europe, not necessarily affecting arrivals from Japan.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bofast posted:

Yeah I'm not confident in that process I already told my wife we're probably getting it on re-entry. Plan is to get home go into the garage strip down by the laundry machine's and immediately go shower. We're wearing n95 masks and gloves at the airport and have a lot of purel but I'm not confident. Ironies of life I guess.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I really expected to have friends of friends of friends who know someone symptomatic by now, but I don't. There's no conspiracy on a public individual level, these bitches are gossipy af and would tell everyone immediately.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bofast posted:

Probably not, but maybe they will largely run out of returning Americans by then.
Then again, this is for people coming back from Europe, not necessarily affecting arrivals from Japan.

International arrivals all pool into one place and share one set of customs and baggage claims, no? So if O’Hare or DFW or other airports are jammed up with international arrivals from Europe it’s hardly separated from their arrivals from Asia or South America or elsewhere.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

International arrivals all pool into one place and share one set of customs and baggage claims, no? So if O’Hare or DFW or other airports are jammed up with international arrivals from Europe it’s hardly separated from their arrivals from Asia or South America or elsewhere.

That is a good point

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Alternatively don't fly home because America will soon be the worst place in the world for COVID19 most likely.

I guess Japan's ignoring the virus is slightly better than the US's bungling any response and UK's actively making it worse.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, didn't realize one of my AirBnB's has a 50% refund, I thought I only booked rooms with lax refund policies. AirBnB is asking them to cancel outright at 100% but it's going to suck to eat $500 if they don't play along, as they don't have to.

Still, excited to rebook for October-ish.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

peanut posted:

I really expected to have friends of friends of friends who know someone symptomatic by now, but I don't. There's no conspiracy on a public individual level, these bitches are gossipy af and would tell everyone immediately.

seems like a benefit of inaka living

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

Somehow I still don't know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone in China who got it, including friends still stuck in Wuhan, but I know several people in the US who know/work in proximity of people who tested positive.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

Somehow I still don't know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone in China who got it, including friends still stuck in Wuhan, but I know several people in the US who know/work in proximity of people who tested positive.

Not heard of anyone who knows anyone who has it. Everyone I know is just talking about it like a boogeyman like it's a rumour and could arrive any moment. Not sure how to feel, good that it seems like it's not in the area or the people I know, bad that that could change any moment.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Akihabara is expensive as poo poo. Where can I buy cool anime or video game poo poo for not tourist prices?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hard Off

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Akihabara is expensive as poo poo. Where can I buy cool anime or video game poo poo for not tourist prices?

Animate in any of the shopping districts, Hard-Off as well. Book-Offs will have mostly DVDs/manga/CDs, but Hard-Off might also have figures and such. Near Musashi-Koyama Station in Tokyo (Meguro Line, just south of Meguro Station) there's a large shopping shotengai that has Hobby-Off as well.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
But all of those stores can also be found in Akihabara and will probably have similar if not the same prices since they're nationwide chains. If you want low prices on games and model kits, you'd have to go way out into the boonies to see any appreciable drop in prices.

If you just want merch in general, I would suggest the second-hand places like K-Books, Mandarake, Suruga-ya (6 shops in Akihabara, 1 in Shinjuku), Lashinbang, and Robot Robot. Avoid the rental showcase stores; most everything there will be trying to take advantage of tourists/collectors, but they can be fun to browse if you have time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

leather fedora posted:

If you want low prices on games and model kits, you'd have to go way out into the boonies to see any appreciable drop in prices.

this. take a trip into saitama or something and look for a recycle shop out there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

leather fedora posted:

If you just want merch in general, I would suggest the second-hand places like K-Books, Mandarake, Suruga-ya (6 shops in Akihabara, 1 in Shinjuku), Lashinbang, and Robot Robot. Avoid the rental showcase stores; most everything there will be trying to take advantage of tourists/collectors, but they can be fun to browse if you have time.

After a few hours of that I found myself getting numbed out to brightly colored plastic, so give yourself a break if it starts to become unfun.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I've officially canceled my trip in April, gently caress off coronavirus

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'll cancel my trip when xiamen airlines or the rona pry it from my cold dead hands

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I still have a reservation for a flight in April but the e-travel agency already hosed it up (the trip to Japan is listed as cancelled on the airline website but the return trip is apparently still booked :confused:). The friend who booked it is trying to get it sorted but we're not going to be let out of the country by then anyway.

Too bad, seeing Japan with fewer other tourists again would have been nice.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

KidDynamite posted:

Nakano Broadway. 2nd and 3rd floors mainly. It's two stops NW of Shinjuku. I forget what line. Just get off at Nakano station and walk up through the arcade. It's one block away and better than Akihabara.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...9!4d139.6656491

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
super potato? more like... super ripoff!!!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Until ANA or the American government tells me I'm not allowed to fly, I'm still going.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Ugh, didn't realize one of my AirBnB's has a 50% refund, I thought I only booked rooms with lax refund policies. AirBnB is asking them to cancel outright at 100% but it's going to suck to eat $500 if they don't play along, as they don't have to.

Still, excited to rebook for October-ish.

On March 14 AirBnB changed its cancellation policy to allow refunds 100% for ALL bookings (if cancelled at least 48 hours in advance or something) regardless of geographic location, so long as you booked it before like March 14 and check-in date before April 14th. This is now automatic when you "cancel reservation", you don't have to ask your host to cancel nor do you have to do anything special through AirBnB -- it's immediate on the spot and shows you the full refund amount. I already did it myself for a booking in Washington DC that was for early April that was also a "no refund" type booking.

If your check-in date is after April 14, just wait and don't cancel yet for 50%, it's basically guaranteed AirBnB will keep moving that date up, and in the unlikely event they don't, it's not like you lost anything by waiting, so long as you remember to check and don't miss some other deadline later on closer to the check-in date.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 17, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Nakano Broadway. 2nd and 3rd floors mainly. It's two stops NW of Shinjuku. I forget what line. Just get off at Nakano station and walk up through the arcade. It's one block away and better than Akihabara.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...9!4d139.6656491

Chuo Line, so go to Shinjuku and change there.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

orcane posted:

Too bad, seeing Japan with fewer other tourists again would have been nice.

gently caress going to the touristy areas. I always loved that side of Japan off the beaten track, the kinda places were people haven't seen a foreigner, had people literally stop in the street looking at me it's hilarious. Never experienced anything like it, just so beautiful and untouched. God I've been home 6 month's after living there and already want to go back.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sub $500 to fly to BKK with a layover in Japan right now. Cheapest I'd ever seen was $625. Man, wish I could do it. Land at NRT, contact airline the next day w/ some excuse why I can't make my flight and just enjoy no tourists for a week.

Especially cuz the sakura has just started. Sigh.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thailand is also very good, hth

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

peanut posted:

Thailand is also very good, hth

Yeah. Usually when I go to Japan I go to Thailand as well because it will often drastically lower the ticket costs and make things non stop. I mean it is cheaper to fly to Bangkok with a "stopover" in Japan than to fly direct to Japan. Airfare is stupid.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
we are pretty much in the early stages of self-quarantine here on Oahu, I am working from home this week and I pulled my son out of school a week ago. my wife thought it was an overreaction because the other two Japanese families didn't pull their kids out but now its spring break, next week is another week where everything is closed, and the governor of Hawaii just attempted to close tourism on the island. it seemed obvious to me that we were heading in this direction but my wife has been in touch with all her friends and family back in the middle-of-nowhere inaka p much every day and she's like "I don't get it, why can everyone in our little town go out and about and its not a big deal but they are closing down the entire island here" and I was like "ya I've been telling u for like six years its better to live in ur little town than it is anywhere else" and she just kinda shrugged lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It also is spreading in Japan but official policy is still fingers in ears la la la I can't hear you everything is fine Tokyo 2020!!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Come to Japan. We don’t have homeless or Coronavirus!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Cherries have already started blooming in Tokyo. Was a very warm winter this year so they're going super early.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Cherries have already started blooming in Tokyo. Was a very warm winter this year so they're going super early.

They’re going to peak this weekend in DC.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This is happening

https://twitter.com/UKinJapan/status/1240485733036707840

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Should've done it decades ago imo

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
If you click through the link there's a larger list of countries shut down. I'm a little surprised the US isn't on it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

captkirk posted:

I'm a little surprised the US isn't on it.

Probably only a matter of time at the rate the US is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Should've done it decades ago imo