Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

On the other hand, if anybody programed a system time check that didn't account for people setting their clock time forward to the unlock date, it'd be Nintendo.....

Manuel Calavera posted:

MY MAN! I too have all of them. Except the original Sploon 1 3pack. But I have every one of them otherwise.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

Hmmm, I wonder if setting the system clock back interferes with checking if the AC download is available to play or not. I would think not. I wonder if it wouldn't be worth setting the clock back a week for launch and TT my way to the "present" so I don't have to waste the weekend with tutorial-level Animal Crossing.

That was my plan. I don't want to get too far ahead, but since this is my last 3 day weekend for a while I wanted to try and get to the point where I can start messing around with the cliffs/rivers while I have free time. So I'll probably start 7-10 days behind the current date, then timewalk forward until I catch up.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Those first four days will kind of suck but the time changing method is a little convoluted and I want to play it honestly so I will just play another game once I finish for the day I suppose

Unless my one friend who is kind of a jackass time skips to get ahead of me.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Doom review embargo is up and it sounds really fun, so i plan to burn through that the first few days when the AC new village activities are limited. Knowing Tom Nook, he probably set it all up this way.

Apologies for asking this again but I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere yesterday - does anyone know how the villager count is if you have multiple real people moved into a given town? If my wife and three kids all make characters in addition to me, does that mean only a max of 5 animals can live in town? Or are there always 10 animals that live in town, regardless?

edit- thank you so much for the tag!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm kind of excited at the prospect of being able to download patches for stuff if/when nintendo decides to add in more things. here's hoping paid dlc is mostly just used for cosmetic packs. also i'm excited to get online for a year for AC and go visit a bunch of islands and maybe bring fruit to them. maybe i'll get some weird poo poo like persimmons, which are pretty good from personal experience but only if they're actually fully ripe. otherwise they have legit no flavor.

also the game is only out in 3 more days. y'all can make it. we're 99.9999999999% of the way there, what's that last fragment in comparison?

also also can i please have a gang tag as well? i didn't want to hog on tags but it looks like another i was asking about won't happen, so, might as well.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I want gyroids :(

I also want villagers to be mean sometimes.

Hell, I was disappointed when they removed the in-home journal. I wanted to write all kinds of wild poo poo for visitors to my towns to read, but alas

I am deeply nostalgic for original GameCube AC poo poo but still want all the QOL improvements and new features.

Also, time travel is for cowards and the feeble-minded

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

ALFbrot posted:

I want gyroids :(

I also want villagers to be mean sometimes.

Hell, I was disappointed when they removed the in-home journal. I wanted to write all kinds of wild poo poo for visitors to my towns to read, but alas

I am deeply nostalgic for original GameCube AC poo poo but still want all the QOL improvements and new features.

:same:

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

I really hope they add the Dream Suite in a future update. I used to love wandering around random towns in my sleep :(

BUT game still looks awesome, can't wait to play it.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs

ALFbrot posted:

:agreed:

playing the game as it was intended to be played owns. the reward for patience is self respect :hfive:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm kind of excited at the prospect of being able to download patches for stuff if/when nintendo decides to add in more things. here's hoping paid dlc is mostly just used for cosmetic packs.

Tbh, I want it to be the opposite. The DLC should be something really exciting and game-changing, so I can continue playing AC for a few more years.

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

https://twitter.com/mmothomm/status/1239669545008271360

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just noticed ontop of the player character not seeming to have a fixed gender they're also removing villagers color coding to make their nametags take after their primary color.

New Leaf all boys had blue text boxes, girls had pink and special NPC's had green. Seeing Agnes and Hopper with Black, Rod with Pink etc seems to be erasing that :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Minrad posted:

For fellow third shifters: do ya'll just deal with events taking place around noon being hard to do, or do you set your town clock forward like 8 hours so it's in the AM in game when you wake up?

I'm not a third shifter, but I have opinions! I say play the game the way you want to. Make it adhere to your schedule. If that means timeshifting it by 8 hours so that it's morning in the game when you wake up, etc. then do that! You're a grown-rear end adult with a job and poo poo. You shouldn't have to miss out on stuff in the game because you don't have a 9-5 or whatnot.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/_heehoo/status/1239738679624699905

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm not a third shifter, but I have opinions! I say play the game the way you want to. Make it adhere to your schedule. If that means timeshifting it by 8 hours so that it's morning in the game when you wake up, etc. then do that! You're a grown-rear end adult with a job and poo poo. You shouldn't have to miss out on stuff in the game because you don't have a 9-5 or whatnot.

yeah, that's the most important thing. i mean, someone can say that timeskipping might be sorta ruining the experience, but, if your schedule doesn't allow you to play at certain points that you'd like to be able to see? do whatever you can to make it work for you. animal crossing being a chill series shouldn't be something that only applies to people with 'normal' schedules.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Apologies for asking this again but I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere yesterday - does anyone know how the villager count is if you have multiple real people moved into a given town? If my wife and three kids all make characters in addition to me, does that mean only a max of 5 animals can live in town? Or are there always 10 animals that live in town, regardless?

I'm not sure, but at least once we've apparently seen 11 villagers in the same picture, so.

Partial Octopus posted:

Have they confirmed that all the villagers are returning? I need Agent S in my life again.

I don't know, but Agent S has been in screenshots/video of New Horizons, as has Kid Cat, so at least half the "heroes" are in.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The only amiibos I own are all Zelda ones I got for BoTW. :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Even my favorite picross game is getting in on the hype :toot:
(Seriously, if you want a picross app, Hungry Cat is super good. Great interface, years of good puzzles, and there's no in-game cost to do a puzzle + you can instantly back out of the ads)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, that's the most important thing. i mean, someone can say that timeskipping might be sorta ruining the experience, but, if your schedule doesn't allow you to play at certain points that you'd like to be able to see? do whatever you can to make it work for you. animal crossing being a chill series shouldn't be something that only applies to people with 'normal' schedules.

I think having a permanent timezone offset is ok

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The only amiibos I own are all Zelda ones I got for BoTW. :(

I got tom nook just for this. He doesn't do anything special, but we're gonna vege on the couch all weekend.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/HeyJosuePonce/status/1239753954457792514?s=20

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ALFbrot posted:

What if I have a specific villager who is time travel themed and they are the one who gets to time travel? Asking for a friend.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ALFbrot posted:

absolutely, yeah. whatever makes people feel the comfiest when they play.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Racoon Goon gang do NOT allow time skippers

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

tote up a bags posted:

Lies! We welcome everybody equally, including the temporally challenged.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I think if they do DLC right, it could really give this game a fresh boost. I'm not pining for it to be paid or anything, Welcome Amiibo was free, but it was a pretty meaty update and it did a lot to keep New Leaf going for me. If they offered something as substantial as that at a reasonable price point down the line - i'd probably still enjoy it.

quote:

Just noticed ontop of the player character not seeming to have a fixed gender they're also removing villagers color coding to make their nametags take after their primary color.

New Leaf all boys had blue text boxes, girls had pink and special NPC's had green. Seeing Agnes and Hopper with Black, Rod with Pink etc seems to be erasing that

owns.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

It's a GANG not a gaggle of rule-following churcheaters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Look, if I have to break the laws of space and time to pay off my mortgage, I'm gonna break the laws of space and time.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Whatever you do that makes you have fun with the game is valid.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Look, if I have to break the laws of space and time to pay off my mortgage, I'm gonna break the laws of space and time.

Really when you think about it they're more like the suggestions of space and time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad that the world of animal crossing has abolished gender

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I hope you're able to throw items into the ocean because that's where any/all of my froggy chairs are going. gently caress a froggy chair

OMGzKakaniz posted:

I can't trust any of these video reviews because they didn't use the hole behind you rock trick for best bells efficiency. loving posers.

It kinda looks like that's no longer a thing (looks like your character doesn't inch back with each strike) but I can't be sure from the couple of clips I've watched.

enojy fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 17, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

added my friend code to the sheet. I'll have to start adding codes later this afternoon during my lunch break. We're almost there!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

enojy posted:

I hope you're able to throw items into the ocean because that's where any/all of my froggy chairs are going. gently caress a froggy chair

"Why TF do froggy chairs keep washing up on my beach??"

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
The question I have is the following -

Today is day 1. I exhaust all usable things (tap each tree to get wood etc)
I decide to timeskip to day 2 and do the same.
If I go back to day 1 then allow time to flow naturally, will day 2 have no resources as they are already interacted with, or would it reset?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Dr. Stab posted:

Whatever you do that makes you have fun with the game is valid.

hard disagree:

Iymarra posted:

If I go back to day 1 then allow time to flow naturally, will day 2 have no resources as they are already interacted with, or would it reset?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad that the world of animal crossing has abolished gender
In character creation it asks you to "chose a style" instead of gender, and emphasizes that you can change your style any time.

What a wholesome game.

Iymarra posted:

Possibly relevant: The one video that vaguely examines time travel I saw started on the 15th and Nook gave an introduction to the day. They then went back to the 12th and Nook gave no introduction. They then went to the 13th and Nook gave an introduction to the day again.

This suggests that possibly the game doesn't reset things if you go back in time, but if you go forward a day, even to a point that's still in the past, it does count as a new day.

That said, I never plan on time traveling, and think the slow drip of new stuff is the life of the game. The reviews I've seen that were frustrated seemed to be frustrated that you don't get to play with certain new toys until a week or two in. Other reviews have said there's still stuff to do early on if you want to grind- you can apparently always catch bugs and fish to grind out bells if nothing else- so while I want to play the poo poo out of this game I'm not worried about running out of stuff.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Maybe useful information for time traveling questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGE8DZm7LwA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Iymarra posted:

I want to say trees and things would still progress if you go back and then progress forward next day, but I also can't really remember. The real danger was going super far ahead and getting your town covered in weeds and sad villagers. You could definitely TT backwards to get to holidays/events you missed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wait, still no gyroids!?! This is unacceptable.