Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

Did you know that having a subnet mask configured is important? If you answered "yes," congratulations! You're a step ahead of the team that escalated this problem to my group.

We keep having issues with some Systems "Engineers" putting the gateway in DHCP fields. New location goes up, nothing works and people open a ticket saying its Networks fault. Our gear is good, our phones are good (they get DHCP from a local device) and I can ping a pc from our gear onsite. I ask the help desk to get a ipconfig, which they should have done earlier anyway, and weirdly enough, no gateway.
The gently caress up DHCP constantly, I don't know how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In the last minute rush to deal with all of our offices closing someone called from out of state wanting to press a Surface Pro 3 into service. I eventually got it online so I could work on it remotely. Last Windows update? 2018.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Came into the office this morning and my manager immediately hits me with a request to make documentation outlining how staff can take their *desktop* PC home and set it up so they can telework. Our staff are not tech savvy, and they are mainly union which would skewer this immediately, but we don’t have the laptops and we don’t have the VPNs to support a mass shift to work-from-home. I started work on it and basically got to “Requirements: A connection to the internet” before I realized just how bad this was going to be.

We’re a government service in Ohio and the people we serve are only going to increase during this pandemic, so I understand our leadership’s difficult decision between staying open or closing shop. At least they dumped 80 hours of paid sick time into everyone’s time off so staff who feel sick don’t have to burn their vacation time to stay home.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Came into the office this morning and my manager immediately hits me with a request to make documentation outlining how staff can take their *desktop* PC home and set it up so they can telework. Our staff are not tech savvy, and they are mainly union which would skewer this immediately, but we don’t have the laptops and we don’t have the VPNs to support a mass shift to work-from-home. I started work on it and basically got to “Requirements: A connection to the internet” before I realized just how bad this was going to be.

This - Also most of these people have magic wifi in their homes and know gently caress all about where their router/modem is to even make a wired connection. The desktops here don't have wifi in them. This will be a shitshow. I'm an Oracle DBA/AIX admin; this is something I will watch but cannot effect.

Just watching people carry desktops/monitors out to their cars will be a dramedy.

Adding to the general clusterfuck is that we forced Cherwell on an untrained userbase on Mar 5th. Cherwell is awful (even coming from Servicedesk) and the users that can login, are lost in a maze of bad choices when trying to enter a ticket.

I'm looking for my fiddle.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm so glad that when we discussed introducing our ticket system, we had a look at all the web interfaces…

…and decided no user ever gets to see it. They send a mail, they get a reply by mail, and we are the only people who have to endure the web poo poo.

Upside: Everyone knows how to use the ticket system
Downside: Blimey, that's a lot of tickets we got today…

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And Teams has poo poo itself. Well done Microsoft.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

wow i thought they’d at least make it to thursday

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I think of Teams as a skin for Sharepoint

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm signed into two difference Teams accounts right now and it's fine?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Skype is unfortunately still working. Well, whatever 'working' is for skype.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Weedle posted:

wow i thought they’d at least make it to thursday

What in uptime their history made you think that?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Something that pisses me off: In the Teams android app I can reply to a message, but not in the desktop app.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
All my interviews for this week have been cancelled for corona again.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Teams question, if I may:

I've gotten emails from Teams saying that some dude has 'added as a guest to <division in company>' but no link to click in the email and I cannot see such a team within Teams.

I don;t know enough of the Teams lingo to google this - is this some admin group that is invisible to the user?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

I've gotten emails from Teams saying that some dude has 'added as a guest to <division in company>' but no link to click in the email and I cannot see such a team within Teams.

I don;t know enough of the Teams lingo to google this - is this some admin group that is invisible to the user?

Find the dude in question in AzureAD and see what groups he is a member of.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Shut up Meg posted:

The Fool posted:

Find the dude in question in AzureAD and see what groups he is a member of.

Found it! Turns out we have two profiles in Teams and he was adding us to a team within the other profile.

Of course, no one told us of the existence of the other profile, it uses the same email address and the option to switch profiles is not visible on our install....still, gotta love a mystery.

E: thanks for the suggestion.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 16, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

And of COURSE I get assaulted by a half dozen people on my way into the building asking "How long before Teams is deployed?" and I'm like what the gently caress are you talking about?
Apparently that's a thing now. The org wants to implement Teams by the end of the day. I just laughed and said, "if you can tell me what the gently caress Teams is, and what it's for, I will not leave my desk until it's done." Nobody had any clue.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Things moved fast at the old ranch. Friday was "don't come in if you don't feel comfortable being here". Just got out of a company wide where that changed to "you are not coming into the office at all unless it's signed off by executive".

Just glad I sorted out the remote access software situation late last year, and helped start a migration to laptops + VPN in January.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

tactlessbastard posted:

All my interviews for this week have been cancelled for corona again.

just Lol this being 2020 and they can't do a tele-interview.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got told on Friday that we were likely going to WFH. Then was told a few hours later that it might change. Was told today that there are no plans to WFH. What the gently caress.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'll give our lovely CEO credit for closing the office, and then take it back because a bunch of dumb motherfuckers keep coming in to work and he lets it happen. There is no reason for them to be there. None.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Johnny Aztec posted:

I had the same reaction but they may be neck deep in more urgent matters like trying to choose a VPN vendor or figuring out what is MS Teams.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think most companies might be a tad worried about needing to reduce their workforce than expand it due to economic conditions.

The rich powers that be don’t want to lose money during a recession. They would rather you be jobless.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Today has been nonstop fielding people asking for access to Teams and VMWare Horizon.

CIO said no, we're not supporting Teams, if they need a chat client they can use S4B. Also, we only have a license for 200 seats in VMWare and we were overprovisioned before this shitstorm hit, so no, they can't have VMWare neither.

Still waiting for the ripcord to be pulled and my team to be told we're still to come in to the office because we're "essential personnel" AKA we can't just read emails and do what tickets we can from home.

We also don't have password self-service set up so we still have to use ADUC to reset passwords, and we don't have softphones.

And, being a governmental body, none of this poo poo will be resolved by the time the city is put into lockdown.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

I think most companies might be a tad worried about needing to reduce their workforce than expand it due to economic conditions.

The rich powers that be don’t want to lose money during a recession. They would rather you be jobless.

I work in healthcare IT. I was at the tail end of negotiations for a new job in Colorado but they've had rapid developments there since last week, and I haven't heard back. Going to give it a few more days then write an email to see what's up.

Meanwhile, at my current job which is The Worst (TM), I'm packed in to a closet with 4 other people. The administration here is acting like they can't tell which way the wind is blowing, and it's business as usual.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Our phone switch was bought 20-30 years ago, and doesn't support VOIP.

Incidentally, that means we can't do WFH either, because of obvious reasons.

Guess what happens if one of us gets sick due to this? I guess you don't want any inbound phone calls being answered.

Nevermind that, I've been frequently told we can't upgrade the switch because it was expensive when they bought it and there is at least 10 more good years in it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Most people at my place have Teams by default as part of O365, although not everyone knows how to use it. I also pushed Zoom invites out to everyone. I offered to forward everyone's phones to their mobile, about a dozen people took me up on that. The rest are okay with just getting their VMs automatically emailed to them as usual.

I've been setting up our new firewall to take over VPN duty from our old appliance and I'm about 80% of the way. Still have to get 2FA integrated and figure out why the installer isn't reading the custom config file. But for now they're running side-by-side so the migration will be pretty easy.

Although the new COO is being sort of a pain in the rear end in general no one is sweating me. Deluged with small support requests related to WFH and until L.A. is totally locked down I will probably go in a couple of times a week to check on things. I can do that without interacting with anyone else so no risk to me, and I might get to enjoy some light end of the world traffic.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We have two internet presence endpoints, 300mb burstable at our colo, and 1gig at the corporate office. The primary vpn endpoint is at the colo...but I have the super secret endpoint url for the backup/test VPN at the office, so my rdp sessions won’t have any issue especially since everyone is wfh now. :getin:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Dick Trauma posted:

Most people at my place have Teams by default as part of O365, although not everyone knows how to use it. I also pushed Zoom invites out to everyone. I offered to forward everyone's phones to their mobile, about a dozen people took me up on that. The rest are okay with just getting their VMs automatically emailed to them as usual.

I've been setting up our new firewall to take over VPN duty from our old appliance and I'm about 80% of the way. Still have to get 2FA integrated and figure out why the installer isn't reading the custom config file. But for now they're running side-by-side so the migration will be pretty easy.

Although the new COO is being sort of a pain in the rear end in general no one is sweating me. Deluged with small support requests related to WFH and until L.A. is totally locked down I will probably go in a couple of times a week to check on things. I can do that without interacting with anyone else so no risk to me, and I might get to enjoy some light end of the world traffic.

I think my company is paying for an O365 subscription literally for email and nothing else. I got our branch into using Excel on the Web for our stupid "summary" spreadsheet, and I'd LOVE to utilize the internal Sharepoint site for more than a document container. I'd also love to get the whole company on Teams, but that's a pipe dream.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Devs are being moved to another project in a reorg, I see stormclouds on the horizon...

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

In our case, it's pretty much the end of the world. We do event production. We had 8 new hires coming over the next 8 weeks. I think we'll be lucky if we still exist when this is over.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm in the office to support the board meetings.

It's literally, me and like 4 other people. 1 admin assistant and 3 executives. Everyone else is wfh now.

Normally board meeting time is super busy and most of the board meets in person at the office. Now all but 2 are dialing in to zoom.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In the midst of this crisis the new COO is demanding that I immediately change the all_staff distro to all_employees because she doesn't like the word "staff." She has also specified that all new distro names be approved by her.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

paint the shed danielson

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just got the email from our CEO stating "all employees are essential employees", and operations continue as normal. gently caress off with that.

I went home early today because the alternative was to pack in with 3 other people in a small room, and one of the people hasn't been feeling well. Yep. My motivation for this team and position is quickly dwindling.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 17, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

vibur posted:

In our case, it's pretty much the end of the world. We do event production. We had 8 new hires coming over the next 8 weeks. I think we'll be lucky if we still exist when this is over.

Some businesses might have to furlough employees for an extended period to survive. Its unavoidable at this point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Just got the email from our CEO stating "all employees are essential employees", and operations continue as normal. gently caress off with that.

I went home early today because the alternative was to pack in with 3 other people in a small room, and one of the people hasn't been feeling well. Yep. My motivation for this team and position is quickly dwindling.

Do what you believe is reasonable. Mark my words folks, now isn't the time for :yotj:. The IT industry is going to endure a surge in unemployment in the near future (like most employment types) and having this kind of attitude isn't going to benefit you. Now isn't the time make waves.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Half the employees at this company are full time remote. My team, which has basically no redundancy to the point that someone not on day shift going on vacation requires half the team change their schedules, is getting pushback on going remote, even though one of us just got back from a two week vacation in Vegas.

If they say no I'm going to cough on the executives' keyboards at the end of my shift.

E: WFH approved, threats of biological warfare will thankfully remain unrealized.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 17, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Oh joy the state I work in announced no groups up to 10 people at work locations excluding a bunch of important things like hospitals, fire houses, etc. It is now illegal for me to be at work and still no announcement about WFH!

They did at least give essential employees a bonus and resources for monetary assistance should they miss work so that's alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

nonessential employees get to die in the gutter