Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ItBreathes posted:

Wait, still no gyroids!?! This is unacceptable.

Twist: you must travel through time to find them and bring them back from the older games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh! Cool "not really timetraveling" tip from IGN for people who don't like the sound of the forced(?) week-or-so without some crucial tools -- simply set your Switch's date back a week at launch, do all you care to do in each in-game day, then fast forward a day until you reach the accurate date.

Complete your daily goals and talk to Tom Nook.
Save your game.
Enter the Switch System Settings menu and scroll down to System.
Choose Date and Time and turn Synchronize via Internet to OFF.
Click on Date and Time and set your clock to the following day.
Select Animal Crossing: New Horizons from the menu screen and hit X to close it.
Restart the game and you should be playing on your new day.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/HeyJosuePonce/status/1239981519353065474?s=20

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It's extra frustrating that pirates can play and we can't.

Please Nintendo do the needful

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

enojy posted:

Oh! Cool "not really timetraveling" tip from IGN for people who don't like the sound of the forced(?) week-or-so without some crucial tools -- simply set your Switch's date back a week at launch, do all you care to do in each in-game day, then fast forward a day until you reach the accurate date.

Save your game.
Select Animal Crossing: New Horizons from the menu screen and hit X to close it.

Awesome, that was my tentative plan and it just got confirmed. AC is released March 13 B)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m going to play this game a little each day, the way God intended.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Theoretically, couldn't you also just go forward in time until you get your tools then reset back to your current date?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

hopeandjoy posted:

Thats wassup. I'll have plenty of Doom and Warzone to play anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

hopeandjoy posted:

That's how I was going to do it too, but I'm not going to tell people how to play the game. :shrug: Some people don't like to be time gated, and that's fine.

If I run out of things to do on a particular day, I have plenty of other games I can turn to.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

enojy posted:

Save your game.
As someone tempted by something like this, I personally concluded that it's not gonna be worth it for a couple reasons.

First the "crucial tools" are not crucial. They're things that expand the game. Not having a pole and a ladder for a few days limits you to a flat quarter of your island, and I'd rather explore everything at once, but it's not like I can't play the game on that one portion of the island. Unlike New Leaf, you're guaranteed to get the net and fishing rod immediately. Those are the crucial tools.

Second, one complaint that really struck me was someone who said the camping aspect of the game was far too brief. I'll be playing this game as "fully featured" Animal Crossing for years, but I'll only have a few days to stare at the distant cliffs and wonder what I might find there. Skipping past that feels like it's missing on the full spectrum of experiences this game has to offer. You'll always be able to build stuff and mess with your island, but you'll never be able to make it feel new or unknown again.

Not everyone would get a lot out of that feeling, and there are people who would enjoy the game more by just getting to the "good stuff" as soon as possible, so by all means time travel away if you'll have more fun that way.

But it's worth considering why that delay is in the game and if it has something to add, even for the obsessive player.

Edit:

Dazerbeams posted:

Theoretically, couldn't you also just go forward in time until you get your tools then reset back to your current date?
In the past traveling backwards in time has caused more issues than traveling forward. There's never been any penalty to traveling forward- the game can't tell the difference between artificial and natural passage of time.

We don't know if there are any issues with going back in New Horizons, but if I were to time travel past the tutorial, I'd want to do it "legit" by only going forward, which you can do easily by setting the time back before you start.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 17, 2020

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ACNH SPOILERS: you can catch fish and bugs and stuff

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I hope the datamine collapses and they are trapped inside by all the 1s and 0s so nothing gets spoiled

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Big, if true.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

:siren: Holy poo poo!!!!!!!!! :siren:

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

For people planning out their island's shape in advance: One of the reviewers goes into further detail about the limitations of the terraforming tools in this video. Sadly can't make a cube of pure waterfalls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUIUEw_a2I

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

enojy posted:

Save your game.

I will do this iff it results in a murder/conspiracy mystery requiring more and more time-travelling to unravel, before ultimately requiring you to undo all of that, skipping forward to the correct date with basically no progress but a somewhat deeper understanding of Important Arcadia Bay Animal Crossing Lore TM.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm not going to time travel but it's none of my business what other people do!!

In case someone missed it because the thread has a lot of posts, here's some speculation on the starting villagers: link

Definitely read this if you were planning on maybe resetting based on your starter villagers: it's possible you start with one "jock" and one "uchi" so many won't be available, don't spend hours restarting if your villager can't even be a starter. As for me, I'm not a fan of the sporty types but a lot of the uchi villagers are some of my favorites, so here's to hoping I get someone I like.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I would also like to pledge my allegiance to the Raccoon Goons - please.

But I am posting mostly to 1) follow the thread but mostly 2) add my FC to the list

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Sick time travel strats:

1. Set your time and date in a way that works with your play schedule
2. Do all the stuff you can accomplish on the first day
3. Wait until the next day and you will have automatically time traveled one day forward

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's extra frustrating that pirates can play and we can't.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oh and I'm a huge fan of genders not really seeming to matter? I watched a video on the start and you choose between a boy/girl-looking avatar, but then the person chose a boy and "female" hairstyles/eyes etc were all available, and I remember seeing passport cards and they don't mention a gender. On top of animals having a nametag based on their primary color, that's some dope stuff. (I'm not even nonbinary or anything, and I don't want to make it a big deal, I just think it's a cool feature in a game that's about expressing yourself.)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dazerbeams posted:

You can, though right now I haven't seen any information on what happens if you do that. In other words, we don't know at what point resources will start repopulating, buildings start advancing again, etc if you play ahead for 7 days and then jump back to the current date.

Eiba posted:

Second, one complaint that really struck me was someone who said the camping aspect of the game was far too brief. I'll be playing this game as "fully featured" Animal Crossing for years, but I'll only have a few days to stare at the distant cliffs and wonder what I might find there. Skipping past that feels like it's missing on the full spectrum of experiences this game has to offer. You'll always be able to build stuff and mess with your island, but you'll never be able to make it feel new or unknown again.

Honestly, I don't think there's really anything "new" or "unknown" about the locked off portions of your island. You see the full mini map before you ever land on the beach, and it's not like you're going to find anything more than the same trees you have on the rest of the island. The only thing that's really being locked off is your ability to place your tent up high above the masses.

Now what I wouldn't want to do is to keep skipping forward past the current date. I think the real unknown lies out there, with whatever events and activities can pop up.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Clocks posted:

I'm not going to time travel but it's none of my business what other people do!!

In case someone missed it because the thread has a lot of posts, here's some speculation on the starting villagers: link

Definitely read this if you were planning on maybe resetting based on your starter villagers: it's possible you start with one "jock" and one "uchi" so many won't be available, don't spend hours restarting if your villager can't even be a starter. As for me, I'm not a fan of the sporty types but a lot of the uchi villagers are some of my favorites, so here's to hoping I get someone I like.

If I can restart until I get Cherry, I absolutely will.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Do we know if the island adds the word "Island" or "Isle" or something to your chosen name? 10 characters isn't a lot.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I think you can only start with Jock/Uchi villagers, not sure what Cherry is, but check ahead of time that the one you want is obtainable before wasting time on rerolls.

edit: oh, lol that was literally in the spoiler

Hairy Right Hook fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 17, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
RIP I really wanted an Octopus starting villager but the only one thats Jock or Uchi is Inkwell and he's almost certainly out :(

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
What's the vibe on discussing amiibo readers/writers and such here? Is it :filez: ?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Honestly, I don't think there's really anything "new" or "unknown" about the locked off portions of your island. You see the full mini map before you ever land on the beach, and it's not like you're going to find anything more than the same trees you have on the rest of the island. The only thing that's really being locked off is your ability to place your tent up high above the masses.
It's a matter of the experience. I've been staring at these maps for weeks and watching videos of people walking around them. I'm sure I'll be able to imagine what the island looks like quite well from the minimap.

But I won't be able to go there.

I'll be spending a few days just puttering around on the plains between the rivers, doing what I can, getting to know the curves of the river and everything. And then one day Nook's gonna say it's time to check out the rest of the island and it's going to give another little dopamine burst as I see these things for the first time. If I was just running around all over the whole island from the start I wouldn't feel one part was familiar home territory and another part was "new".

If that experience sounds like complete :geno: to you, that's fair. But it's an experience you won't be able to go back and revisit if you skip past it to get to other stuff.

Mizuti posted:

Do we know if the island adds the word "Island" or "Isle" or something to your chosen name? 10 characters isn't a lot.
You will not. That's Japan only. A reviewer was mentioning they were counting on an "island" suffix and they were sad their name sounded lame because they never got that option.

So plan your island name to stand alone without the word "island" automatically following it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Eiba posted:

So plan your island name to stand alone without the word "island" automatically following it.

:piss:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

If I can restart until I get Cherry, I absolutely will.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

unless u have a weird schedule, i really dont recommend time travel. One of AC's most unique features is the real time clock and youre really doing yourself a disservice by bypassing that entirely. U will also burn out on the game much faster by obsessively playing and changing the time rather than playing as it comes, not to mention the bugs that u can encounter.

I played the GC version of AC almost exclusively time traveling and it wasnt until the later games that I came to realize how much more rewarding it is to take it one day at a time. I also didnt notice how much of the game I wasnt playing when I just zoomed through what I thought were the daily tasks and ignored almost everything else

Time travelling is completely antithetical to the theme of the game itself as well as the overall gameplay

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 17, 2020

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I'm naming my island Lost. I would kill for a means to put in a constantly roaming giant swarm of wasps. This also means time travel will be canon.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I'm gonna chill so hard that time stops.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Mizuti posted:

Somebody on the discord said that the English version dropped the Island suffix entirely because gently caress you that's why.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

if theres no gyroids im gonna be extremely :smith:

was planning a whole forest to display them

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

d3lness posted:

Somebody on the discord said that the English version dropped the Island suffix entirely because gently caress you that's why.

So much for Three Mole Island.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Nope, that's 16, including spaces.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

So much for Three Mole Island.

I've been thinking about that since it was originally posted, and I'm so sad it can't become a reality :smith:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Originally the Island suffix was included for the english version but when the Japanese devs asked why all their english testers kept naming their islands “Pen” they got very upset at the answer and removed it as punishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Pen Island is still 10 characters though