Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tarquinn posted:

One 32:9 screen is where it is at, you plebes. Seamless goodness. :smuggo:

Joke's on me, as it blocks my whole desk there is no place for a third monitor for my work laptop.

34" 21:9 + 27" 16:9 - komm auf meine Ebene, Bursche!

Joke's on me, our all-wise CEO wants that one person is in every office. No more, no less. Perfect balance. Since my colleague has three kids at home she of course deserves to suffer have Home Office instead. So I sit in my silent office with my dual 32" 16:9 screens instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

lately I watched a german streamer on twitch, and he kept using "digga" to refer to people, like a more pc-friendly version of the n-word. mein digga. is that common among german youths now or specific to this one streamer? never heard it before.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:smuggo:

Those old work horses are due for a replacement though. 1080 is getting a bit tiny for my purposes. My work setup is very similar but consists of 1200 monitors…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

mike12345 posted:

lately I watched a german streamer on twitch, and he kept using "digga" to refer to people, like a more pc-friendly version of the n-word. mein digga. is that common among german youths now or specific to this one streamer? never heard it before.

That's insanely old and, as far as I know, has no relation with what you are thinking about. It's just "Dicker".

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mike12345 posted:

uh I think NWS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AUUWKgCX4

prob the biggest hit of all time that never made it internationally

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

mike12345 posted:

Just Northern German slang for "Dicker"

Its an equivalent of the "Alter" that the Österreicher turn into an "Oida"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ah well yeah that's a possibilty it's just dicker pronounced digger. drat thought I found something new during my sozialforschungs-trips.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/MatthiasMeisner/status/1239901822892027910?s=19

Owned lol

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm not sure if I got Corona or if I just get stress-induced fever from how everything in our organization seems to break down at day minus 1 of mandatory working from home.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Sulla Faex posted:

I wonder how many people in their probezeit are going to get fired due to the lockdown and market impacts of corona.. the agentur für arbeit is also saying people should only come in for essential services, and don't even call unless it's critical (phone lines are basically hammered/down). So even if you are eligible for ALG I, it.. could be nasty
I'm currently in the progress of switching jobs. The new one will start on 01.04.

Goddammit, I timed this so loving well :downsbravo:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Randler posted:

I'm not sure if I got Corona or if I just get stress-induced fever from how everything in our organization seems to break down at day minus 1 of mandatory working from home.

rip

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I already got a couple of Vorstellungsgespräche cancelled.
One of them said they are going to reschedule it for the beginning of April, which seems extremely optimistic of them. I low-key don't expect to start anywhere for the next couple of months at this point. And who knows what will have happened in the meantime.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Quick escalation at my Forschungseinrichtung: all scientific activities halted until further notice.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Eezee posted:

I already got a couple of Vorstellungsgespräche cancelled.
One of them said they are going to reschedule it for the beginning of April, which seems extremely optimistic of them. I low-key don't expect to start anywhere for the next couple of months at this point. And who knows what will have happened in the meantime.

:same:

I did finish building my new desktop PC at least.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Now I finally know what the C in CDU stands for.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

ephex posted:

Now I finally know what the C in CDU stands for.

:crnasickos:
https://www.hna.de/lokales/frankenberg/frankenberg-eder-ort305273/coronavirus-friedrich-merz-frankenberg-13595037.html

quote:

Für Friedrich Merz war der Auftritt in Frankenberg quasi ein Heimspiel: Auf der Anreise hatte er unterwegs in seiner alten Heimatstadt Brilon im benachbarten Hochsauerlandkreis noch seine Mutter besucht – die feierte am Mittwoch ihren 92. Geburtstag. „Mein Vater ist 96“, sagte Merz, „meine Eltern haben mir gute Gene mitgegeben, um noch einige Jahre für die CDU und vielleicht auch für Deutschland arbeiten zu können.“

hhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I got allowed to work from home for the foreseeable future :toot:

On my last commute (first on bike too, not as bad as I imagined) the city seemed mostly normal. People around taking in the weather, shopping, plenty of cars. Really weird dissonance to „the end is nigh“ of Twitter.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I live in an area with an older population and it's weird how many of them are out and about, having coffee at bakeries and chatting with friends and so on

The asian and turkish supermarkets are fully stocked though, which is good. I finished my job last week so at the moment I'm mostly just sitting around and thinking about cooking

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sulla Faex posted:

I live in an area with an older population and it's weird how many of them are out and about, having coffee at bakeries and chatting with friends and so on

I hate the attitude. Even if you don't care about your own life and are all ~ich bin ja schon so alt und ausserdem, damals, im Krieg~ you still gonna take up an ICU space while dying. A space that could have gotten to someone who actually wants to live like a family father/mother.

But whatcha gonna do, a Boomer gotta boom

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
there is nothing wrong with going outside op, what are you talking about

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

I hate the attitude. Even if you don't care about your own life and are all ~ich bin ja schon so alt und ausserdem, damals, im Krieg~ you still gonna take up an ICU space while dying. A space that could have gotten to someone who actually wants to live like a family father/mother.

But whatcha gonna do, a Boomer gotta boom

Well, I mean, once we hit Italy levels they largely won't take up an ICU space while dying anymore :I

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
it was super busy in the Edeka today lol, and two literal 70+ year olds got into a fight at the kassenband. #justcoronathings

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

mike12345 posted:

Digga is literally the word I've heard the most since moving to Berlin almost six years ago lol

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

oliwan posted:

The meeting people and chatting thing is slightly problematic

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

oliwan posted:

how did you ever end up in this forum, op?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Zwille posted:

The meeting people and chatting thing is slightly problematic

Chat away from a distance, a social distance if you will.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

As no (good enough) laptops are available any more, our IT department has now organized a lot of WLAN sticks, so that all the people who currently do not have laptops will be able to work from home once the order comes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I finally bought myself a shiny new bicycle today. Because gently caress relying on buses which run on Samstagsverkehr.

Home office is starting to feel a bit better now. I used to have HO on Fridays anyway, but those were short days and not seeing your coworkers at all is still a bit rough. And honestly, I feel like I am way more lazy sitting here. But it's getting better.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So, which video games do y'all recommend to play during work from home?

I'm thinking turn-based games, maybe mapgames?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Can't recommend that. I used to sometimes have Eve on a spare monitor but it just distracts way too much and work and play bleed into each other.

But perhaps you could play some The Talos Principle for the uplifting and very apropros story.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

XCOM is on most platforms and it’s my go-to whenever I get sick or have to stay in place somewhere.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/MDRAktuell/status/1239889218127556608?s=20

:cripes:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdzHAKPV7dk

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Free stuff: https://www.gog.com/partner/stay_at_home

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Because of stuff like that I expect a total lock-down (like in France, Spain, etc) will also be announced very soon.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Oh... I thought it was new free stuff but it's the same games that where always free

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
I've been staying inside a lot more recently and have been paying more attention to my pepper plants. These were all planted on January 21st. This is my first time growing anything from seed and they seem reasonably happy, but I was wondering if they should have grown more by now? I just got a cheapo amazon grow light recently, but before was using the plant light bulb they had at Ikea.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Can't recommend that. I used to sometimes have Eve on a spare monitor but it just distracts way too much and work and play bleed into each other.

But perhaps you could play some The Talos Principle for the uplifting and very apropros story.

Seconded. I wouldn't mix work and play. You don't get anything done and end up doing stupid mistakes (in-game and irl). Workload is usually reduced, unless you're a manager having to reorganize your team(s). Better do your work, call it it day at 4 pm and let the gaming begin.

Zwille posted:

XCOM is on most platforms and it's my go-to whenever I get sick or have to stay in place somewhere.

XCOM2/WotC and a buttload of mods is always a safe bet. Endless Space 2 also proved to be a good casual experience, ymmv. Though if you're really ambitious and don't have anything to do, you should fire up War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition and get ready for some serious micro management that will make you wish you were at work.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I don't have the right cables to get both screens linked to my laptop. I do have two enough keyboards and mice to multibox gaming and working though. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Over here the company is trying to do their best to prevent infections. Visitors now have to read a guideline before coming inside, and if they or a relative have been to one of the Risiko Gebieten set by the RKI then they gotta turn around and leave. Sanitizers and gloves are set here, official guidelines for workers to not shake hands anymore and take staggered breaks, feels like we are basically one internal case away from the whole place shutting down (and trying real hard to prevent that).

Also the toilet paper got locked away. Each toilet only has the single roll, no more extras you can grab while still on the can because people have been stealing those. Already decided that if I ever end up stranded without rolls I am gonna call the management guy who issued that order to come and bring me a new one :v: