Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lord Ludikrous posted:

DOOM Eternal just got its release date pushed forward to tomorrow. Terrified of too many retailers being closed by Friday apparently.

Coronavirus is extremely good, actually

e; 123 is a number made up of three numbers in ascending numerical order. This is called an Adequate Number, but because this one starts with a 1, it's a Perfect Adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

ThomasPaine posted:

turns out I'm going to have to have my PhD viva via zoom with no hard copy of the text in front of me this will be fun :toot:

Would you mind sharing a little bit more about this? I work at a University and part of my job is making Viva's happen. I've been asked to basically produce a 'well normally we wouldn't be doing this but this is exceptional times' document and the more info I have from other institutions the better.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

radmonger posted:

The noticeable thing about COVID is that there are pretty much no cases of schoolkids dying, and it is pretty rare for them to need treatment . Consequent;y, no one seems to be testing them.

Is that because they don’t catch it? Or are they all asymptomatic carriers?

the government's own modelling (that they've just discovered) shows pretty big decreases in spread, ICU demand, death rates etc by closing down schools and universities on top of other measures. So it seems like they are expected to spread it, but the government doesn't appear to be interested in testing anyone if they can help it. Not buying any test kits, discouraging people from calling 111, telling people to do one if they do... number cannot go up

deano
Sep 6, 2000

New sign on the check in termial cardscanner at cash n carry today:
Bookers cards are non transferable
Bookers cards are for Business use only

Lad working at checkout was rather annoyed and pissed off, "seen so many people today i never seen before"
Seems if they cant get registered people are now sharing cards around, ok fair enough for a cheeky booze run for a party, but fs smdh.
No rice left apart from huge bags and pasta shelf was utterly wiped out got a chuckle out of the 5 people standing there looking at it kinda lost and confused.
Glad im a regular and stock control guy has confirmed their holding extra behind you just need to ask and have actaully been there before this week.
Carpark was jammed up again, and no trolleys at the door but loads abandoned next to the wall where the user had parked.

Not been to a big supermarket local but the shelfs are being stripped of bread and freezer unit getting a bit low at my local Co-op.

Im down about 50% on my usual footfall/take since saturday if the trend continues then shut doors nextweek and go home and paint orks and work on my garden.

Stay Safe Goons!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
my work have sent round their corvid plan and it involves replacing us all with crows a lot of people working from home and a 24 hour notice period for field-based staff who need to come into the office.

my team is one of the ones who actually have to do physical stuff (although how much we "have" to do it is debatable) but there'll only be one of us in at a time and the lab is completely separate from the office so when it's my turn I will literally be seeing no one else

all in all, fairly sensible and as they have relatively large cash reserves and are reliant on "organic growth" (i.e. only hiring more people when the person currently doing the job is so overworked they threaten to quit) and most job roles require months of training before you're familiar enough with the equipment/processes to be confident enough with them to be useful, I think we're safe from job losses for now

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Can't work from home in my line of work, but if no offices/schools/etc are open, then no-one's printing, and if no-one's printing they can't gently caress the things up. Looks like it's going to be online training courses and video games interspersed with random call-outs that I can opt out of if anyone's been sent home from the premises with it

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bardeh posted:

Just went over to the shops to get spring onions and coriander for dinner - it was very quiet in there, all pretty normal tbh. The only thing was there were no eggs, no rice, no pasta. But shelves full of pulses, dried beans, tinned fish (no tuna but plenty of sardines/pilchards/mackerel) Are people really going to be eating pasta and jarred sauces for months? It's loving weird that all the actually nutritional shelf-stable foods are left in favour of pasta and rice.

Lol, my team at work had a Teams call today (we're all working from home now) and we were all laughing about the fact that there's a whole bunch of people who presumably mean to survive on meals of pasta with baked beans for the next few months.

Joking aside, I'm hoping this panic buying nonsense settles down soon: I've never had to seriously consider before that basic staples might not be available at the shops whenever I need them and I'm liking it even less than I was expecting.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Eararaldor posted:

Can I ask what your school is using for Remote learning? (I’m assuming secondary?) We literally discovered Microsoft Teams last week and out upper management jumped on it. It then crashed on Monday from over use as organisations all over Europe started using it.

It’s all a last minute mess.

We've been using Google Hangouts Meet to teach children, and it isn't suitable at all. There's no admin or anything and anyone can kick anyone or mute anyone, so of course kids literally kick the teacher or mute them or constantly kick each other lol it kind of owns really

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Can't work from home in my line of work, but if no offices/schools/etc are open, then no-one's printing, and if no-one's printing they can't gently caress the things up. Looks like it's going to be online training courses and video games interspersed with random call-outs that I can opt out of if anyone's been sent home from the premises with it

almost all of the work I can do from home is just technical support emails, but I think the volume of those is going to drop off significantly and there will be several people doing it full time (as opposed to the normal situation which is somewhere between zero and several people trying to fit it in around every other thing we have to do), so I've got no idea what else they're expecting me to do with my time

I feel sorry for the service engineers as they probably will still be going to sites, but I'd hope it will be just callouts to breakdowns at critical sites with no preventative maintenance visits

they are going to lend me a pc, which means I need to actually clear off my desk, but no phone. I don't really want to give my personal phone number to customers, so I'm not sure what to do there. get a prepaid one and expense it seems like the best option

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Paperhouse posted:

We've been using Google Hangouts Meet to teach children, and it isn't suitable at all. There's no admin or anything and anyone can kick anyone or mute anyone, so of course kids literally kick the teacher or mute them or constantly kick each other lol it kind of owns really

Lol

I really wish someone would mention stories like this, when twats on the radio just assume remote learning is a thing and can solve all our problems. (Kids are not adults)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Paperhouse posted:

lol that's like the homework app that China was using getting downvoted so much on the App Store that it got removed.

Adults - stop trying to win on the internet. The young ones will always destroy you.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently this is fake news (comments posted down the thread a bit).

I saw this tweet and I wasn't sure what was going on; I think they haven't voted for it but have "proposed" it, so not entirely fake

https://mobile.twitter.com/CWUnews/status/1239938926904778752

also

https://mobile.twitter.com/CWUnews/status/1239954872776167427

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Just got a message from somebody who knows these things that the Gov is considering ubi-like payments of £94 a week for all "qualifying" adults. I really hope she is taking the piss.

Also is there a link to who is considered for the mortgage holiday or is it open to whoever wants it?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
gently caress knows what;'s happening at my work. We've cancelled all our classes, which is most of my very new job, and the people we're having to turn away are looking loving heartbroken. We're literally leaving people out in the cold in the middle of a crisis.

And my manager (possibly just being insensitive, IDK) is talking about it being discussed whether the organisation might need to lay off staff as a result of this.

In a national homelessness reduction charity.

Jesus gently caress if even the good guys can't do this without loving it up what loving hope is there?

I'm just getting all my buttons pushed on absolutely everything from absolutely every angle, and whenever it feels like I might be making a it of progress on something something else slaps me in the goddam face again from a different angle.

:smith:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

-hug- I am sorry mate. You've always got us random folk on the internet if you want to talk.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

-hug- I am sorry mate. You've always got us random folk on the internet if you want to talk.

I appreciate it.

It is a lot at the moment.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

UnquietDream posted:

Would you mind sharing a little bit more about this? I work at a University and part of my job is making Viva's happen. I've been asked to basically produce a 'well normally we wouldn't be doing this but this is exceptional times' document and the more info I have from other institutions the better.

Looks like it's exactly what it says on the tin. We all call in from home and do everything as usual remotely. It's an arse for me because I'll struggle to get a printed copy of the thesis, but eh. It's certainly not ideal but I guess needs must.

Not sure what specific questions you might have?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I appreciate it.

It is a lot at the moment.

I know. I hope you know that we are all here for each other. I think we might need it.

No Libertarians in pandemics.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Question IRL posted:

Glad to hear that works.
What I found to improve sound quality for a TV is getting a soundbar. They won't cost too much, and will work with your TV, computer or Games Console with little fuss.
I found modern ones (particularly LG) are good at making the sound even out, so background music and explosions are quieted but dialogue is increased.

Also ones with Bluetooth built in let you stream Spotify from your phones to the soundbar easily.

Any recommendation for a cheapish one?
I'm always a bit alarmed when I see some for £40 and all prices up to and north of £600! (I'm not a hifi buff by any means I just like to get the bass that you don't get on tv or computer (non-head-phone).

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
We're going to be keeping the doors open for as long as possible (small family business, where I'm the only non-family employee), although I did manage to persuade the boss to send his 71 year-old father and brother with medical issues home for the duration. Also, his mother isn't going to be coming in to do the cleaning anymore, so it looks like cleaning toilets may have been added to the job description. We're also starting to see our first China-related supply chain issues (kitchen and bathroom business). Honestly, I don't see "as long as possible" being all that long.

One of the nearby big caravan and chalet parks is having a discussion about closing this evening. We've been seeing a lot of people fleeing the cities, and apparently one chalet owner was boasting around the park that a close relative was infected and that he'd decided to go on holiday rather than self-isolate. The management threw him off the site, he objected rather strenuously, and the police were nearly called.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Collateral posted:

Just got a message from somebody who knows these things that the Gov is considering ubi-like payments of £94 a week for all "qualifying" adults. I really hope she is taking the piss.

Also is there a link to who is considered for the mortgage holiday or is it open to whoever wants it?

£94 is the weekly amount for statutory sick pay, which has just been amended to start from day 1 of reporting sick instead of by day 4. Has your friend possibly confused that for UBI?

e: Its also being rolled out for people who aren't sick but are having to self isolate. Go to the update titled, "UK Emergency Legislation published" at 19:08.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 17, 2020

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

I try and cope with my difficulties in life with humour but I think today was the first day I've truly felt anxious about what's going on out there. Pure fear. Everyone I talk to is just carrying on as normal, planning film nights and stag do weekends, and all I can think is just "why are you blind to what's going to happen over these next weeks?"

It's like the UK society has a cognitive hole, nothing bad can happen here, and it's really making me anxious as my grandpa has bronchitis and my surrogate grandma is on so many medicines and can barely walk. I would never forgive myself if I just kept going, got them ill and put them in hospital or even kill them. Don't others see that?

Sorry to get E/N in here, but I just needed to vent because today has been really hard.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm always a bit alarmed when I see some for £40 and all prices up to and north of £600! (I'm not a hifi buff by any means I just like to get the bass that you don't get on tv or computer (non-head-phone).

The answer to that sort of question is always "Whatever is the cheapest thing Richer Sounds sell" because they normally don't sell poo poo.

In this case they have three bars each at 99 quid, and this one is a better brand than the other two, and I'm always suspicious of the very slim soundbar designs because there's just not space for decent bass.

For a little bit more (okay actually almost double, at £179) there's this, which is almost identical to the one I have and is fantastic - I've got the wireless sub hidden under a table next to the sofa and it absolutely fills the room with sound without that really distracting floor-rattling showiness that most subs have.

However I did also buy a cheap no-brand one from Asda for like 30 quid a while ago that does sterling work for my bedroom telly - still a bit tinny but a massively noticeable improvement over the built-in speakers on the telly. One problem with flat screens is you basically can't get decent sound out of them, it's pretty much impossible with that form factor to fit non-poo poo speakers in there no matter how expensive it is.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:mason:

quote:

In view of the latest UK government advice on the coronavirus pandemic, the Masons have suspended all lodge and chapter meetings within England and Wales for a period of four months, with immediate effect

gently caress, how are they going to control things from behind the scenes now?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I went to McDs earlier and they'd put hazard tape in one metre increments all across the floor and big signs about social distancing, encouraging people to stay one metre away from each other at all times.

Surprisingly, people were generally following this - apart from when they needed to go between people waiting to get to the sauce dispensers and such.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

ThomasPaine posted:

Looks like it's exactly what it says on the tin. We all call in from home and do everything as usual remotely. It's an arse for me because I'll struggle to get a printed copy of the thesis, but eh. It's certainly not ideal but I guess needs must.

Not sure what specific questions you might have?

Well the problems we'd run into and we have done it in a very limited way for a single person calling in via Skype but the scale with everyone attending is far more significant. So what we'd have problems with is right to work documents for the external examiner, integrity of the process (what happens if something goes wrong), what is the pathway for an allegation of unfair practice. Is this something your institution has done previously and has already procedures in place to deal with them?

I'm not sure which perspective (examiner, chair or candidate) you're coming at it from but one of the things we've got to do is ensure that the candidate can say no and have their Viva delayed for X period and the examiners can also say no. We have to do that for a whole bunch of legal reasons.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ikwaylx posted:

I try and cope with my difficulties in life with humour but I think today was the first day I've truly felt anxious about what's going on out there. Pure fear. Everyone I talk to is just carrying on as normal, planning film nights and stag do weekends, and all I can think is just "why are you blind to what's going to happen over these next weeks?"

It's like the UK society has a cognitive hole, nothing bad can happen here, and it's really making me anxious as my grandpa has bronchitis and my surrogate grandma is on so many medicines and can barely walk. I would never forgive myself if I just kept going, got them ill and put them in hospital or even kill them. Don't others see that?

Sorry to get E/N in here, but I just needed to vent because today has been really hard.

My mother has finally taken it seriously today.
One of her big frets was 'what about church' (she is a part-time minister), fortunately the Church in Wales & Church in England finally decided from today to cancel almost all services (except weddings and funerals and those have limitations). She's also managed to get some supplies in to last for about a month (well it doesn't sound like a month's worth to me, but then she is miniscule).
I also contacted the friends I was going to have a little birthday lunch with for my 60th late April and cancelled it - this is just not going to be over by then and I didn't want them to start fretting over 'letting me down'. As I said to them, that pesky volcano 10 years ago made a dent in my 50th plans!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Again -hugs-

It's not unwise to get upset or cross at people, we just need to start setting things up to help others. I think we can afford a bit of venting at this time

Also I would like to apologise BIG TIME to anyone who said this was going to get worse. I am so sorry for being dismissive.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Best bud has cancelled his stag do as he doesn't want to unnecessarily put others at risk for a day out. He's understandably worried about what might happen with the wedding. My nephew has been pulled from nursery (and thus, so have his siblings) after they called to say he had a high temperature. Bro-in law and my father are both in the at risk category (doubly so). They're both convinced "Its just the flu and the world is over-reacting". :doh:

They're all like 112 years old. I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My work yesterday sent an email out telling all employees who can work from home to do so which is good. I've had a couple of days off anyway for my Grandads funeral today. Felt pretty weird with everything else going on but it's a weight off to not have to go into work.

I will need to increase the frequency of my coffee subscription now though! Sending positive vibes to everyone. This whole situation is insane.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

My work just emailed. I'm to work from home from now on.

I wonder how long this is going to last?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

Going to get up early tomorrow morning and head right to the biggest supermarket possible and grab some loo paper as we are sort of running out here.

As someone said though, it could be that those shops big enough to park a car next to are the ones that are most severely out of loo roll, might want to consider smaller places too

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Probably a long shot but if you’re in Bristol I’ve got a decent sound bar and wireless sub that’s free to a good home

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

jaete posted:

As someone said though, it could be that those shops big enough to park a car next to are the ones that are most severely out of loo roll, might want to consider smaller places too

Sensible. I may well do that.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Our childminder has said if she’s forced to close, we still have to pay her 50%. Not sure about that one but equally still want to have a childminder when this is all done.

All the arguing at work about whether we should WFH or not has distracted me from one major thing. My own job, personally, involves meetings at charities, many of them hospices. At the insistence of my boss I’ve made a few calls to people I know and the responses have gone from “not now mate” yesterday morning to “What? WHAT? Seriously, now?” by this afternoon. I’ve just checked my email and updated my calendar, and I have literally no meetings for the next three weeks (and tbh assuming the rest beyond that are cancelled too). The work I’ve got to do between now and the end of the month I could comfortably get done by Thursday evening. Reckon I might be moving on, soon enough.

Doing a middling job of not having a breakdown worrying about my parents, thanks for the earlier advice everyone.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm glad your doing a middling job. I'm thinking I might have to move back in with my folks, considering that work is now closed. Wondering what is going to happen next about pay really. I could survive without rent for quite some time, but if I do need to pay rent I could probably only make it to May at best.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Probably a long shot but if you’re in Bristol I’ve got a decent sound bar and wireless sub that’s free to a good home

I'm not but my nephew is!
I don't have DMs also don't know what he is up to (half a chance he's stuck abroad somewhere. I know one of them is.)- I'll inquire.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It's going to be that guy with the two end-to-end wheelie bins, isn't it?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I suppose it comes down to supply and demand.
Are there good electronics store near you? With the current situation, you might not be able to leave the house. I've seen decent looking soundbars for cheap in Aldi and Tesco but I don't know how good they are.

I got a very good LG soundbar for €150 around Christmas 2018 and I do not regret it. But I have a LG TV so the soundbar syncs up to the TV really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Disappointing to see people in my local town facebook group unsarcastically praising Boris & co for 'looking after us, the little people' following whatever Sunnak said today.
:smdh: