Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Which begs the question:

What class action lawsuits will emerge after all is said and done? What employee will come into work, get sick, and get lung scarring or die and a widow[er] kicks off a lawsuit?

my wife is a panera manager and she has to go to work as usual every day. one of the other managers thinks the coronavirus panic is overblown and refuses to do any of the extra cleaning stuff on his shifts. she'll probably get sick and give it to me, and i would be worried about then spreading it to the kids at school except a bunch of parents have refused to cancel their spring break trips/cruises so the entire campus is going to be a loving petri dish anyway when we do come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

nullfunction posted:

This sounds like fun and since my team has a no-meeting-Monday rule, I'm definitely going to tune in.

We have a 4 day, 5 day 2 week schedule so no meetings on Monday or Friday because you can pick if you want Monday or Friday as your off day, on either week so it's a mystery who's in the office those days.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Pacra posted:

gently caress, I wish we had a no-meeting-monday rule

Good luck tomorrow y'all

We do no-meeting Wednesdays. Of course it's on you to actually enforce because people will try to book you anyways.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Wild. I always prefer to put team meetings on Wed, since it's the day people take off the least.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ChubbyThePhat posted:

We do no-meeting Wednesdays. Of course it's on you to actually enforce because people will try to book you anyways.

We have no-meetings Wednesday afternoons, because apparently too many managers got heartburn over the idea of an entire DAY when they couldn't schedule meetings.

Granted, it's a pain in the rear end when you're trying to schedule a regular stand-up for a team that's got members in San Francisco/Portland, Indianapolis, London, and Hyderabad...but like, figure it out? This has been a problem for a while, folks, there's solutions.

(That said, that 4 hour block is generally left alone unless there's a crisis like a high profile termination, a physical or medical crisis, or we've somehow managed to get everyone in the same location for a meeting for once.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Got our first Covid-19 phishing email today, and the user promptly 'rescued' it from their junk mail and clicked through on it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Weedle posted:

took my work laptop home and installed gta 5 on it. yeah i'm working from home. grinding on these streets

I was talking about doing a home office setup on a smoke break that included the service owner for "hardware". Twenty minutes later he dropped off a six year-old 2x6 core Xeon workstation with a ton of RAM in my cube as my assigned home office system. It needed a video card so I dropped an RTX 2060 in it. It does fine :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've got an incredible amount of conference calls lined up this week. So I took today to throw together about 8 hours worth of vinyl only DJ sets; mostly deep house and trance, mostly lacking in vocals. Plus one good hour long Disco set, and one 30 minute set of nothing but ABBA remixes.
I've got my large diaphragm mic, laptop and Focusrite 4i4 set up and all ready to go.
I'm looking forward to dubbing in the conference audio over my sets and have a stack of very weird experimental noisemusic ready for when the conferences inevitably devolve into incoherent off-topic ramblings.
I'm debating on livestreaming the whole thing or just piping the sets directly back into the conference (sans conference audio input of course.)

Sadly, I am considered "essential" personnel so I doubt I'll ever actually get to make that call.

Yep. Got the "essential personnel" speech today meaning we will be there no matter what. So it looks like no conference DJ set :(
They said they will "do their best to get us masks or whatever."

Lol yeah, no. If it's so bad that I need to wear my hazmat suit to work, I'll just go ahead and burn a few hundred hours of comp time.

I did get like 50 tickets to procure new cell phones so people "can work from home." Which I don't understand. Some of these people don't even have desk phones and we have email and Skype and Teams and WebEx and God knows what other communication platforms...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 17, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
All North American :yayclod: offices are closed as of an hour ago.

Glad they let me know ahead of time so I could run in and get the poo poo I left behind because I was trying not to freak anyone out by scourging my desk and bringing all my tools home ahead of time :downs:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yep. Got the "essential personnel" speech today meaning we will be there no matter what. So it looks like no conference DJ set :(
They said they will "do their best to get us masks or whatever."

Give them a budget for Hazmat suits for your team and bring it up as essential equipment. Along with setting up a temporary decontamination room and cleaning gear.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 17, 2020

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
Work implemented a 1 person on each shift policy today. They'll rotate who is WFH each day so everyone gets to work from home.

Except me. I work overnights. My schedule didn't change at all. Only person in the entire NOC who has to go in every day of my shift for a full shift. Other night guys get to come in until I get there, then go home and WFH the rest of their shift.

Luckily, I'd told my manager that I'm working from home all this week before I read the email with the schedule. My kid has been recovering from an illness and I didn't want to go to and from work and either bring a sickness in or bring one home.

Still, I can't understand why I am the only employee in the company who wouldn't get to work from home if I followed the schedule.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Along with setting up a temporary decontamination room and cleaning gear in some assholes office.

Don't dream small.

UnkleBoB posted:

Still, I can't understand why I am the only employee in the company who wouldn't get to work from home if I followed the schedule.

To quote the Spartans, "If"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Our hardware management team doesn't know where to send new hardware for evaluation/certification under normal circumstances, to the point where we hired a consultant company to help us unfuck this process, which (surprisingly) has been a fruitful experience over the past few months.

Now, as we're attempting to implement this process, when we're also facing massive hardware shortages because our downstream supply chains are scrambling to fix their own obvious issues, we're all locked out of our hubs.

:tif:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
what I really need is an easy way to mix in the audio from conferencecall.biz to my outgoing teams audio stream. Especially for cold callers.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Day 1 WFH with the whole family home was a long week, but we managed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlexDeGruven posted:

Anyone else read this with a mental image of a twitching eye and clenched teeth?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

devmd01 posted:

what I really need is an easy way to mix in the audio from conferencecall.biz to my outgoing teams audio stream. Especially for cold callers.

Try https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone else read this with a mental image of a twitching eye and clenched teeth?

Might as well, since that's how it was typed

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

AlexDeGruven posted:

This perfectly encapsulates how I felt yesterday.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
WFH day 0.5, because I was in the office Monday, but no more

I'm already out of apple pie moonshine. Burbon is next, going alphabetic. Society needs to collapse so I can send my family out for supply raids or something

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
boy fuckin' howdy lemme tell you it's great looking for a new contract in the middle of the loving Death Stranding

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

boy fuckin' howdy lemme tell you it's great looking for a new contract in the middle of the loving Death Stranding

Guess what you really needed was a Re-entry Strategy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My CIO just put in a ticket to quietly deploy WebEx to everyone.
We already have Skype for Business. We've got people clamoring for Teams. I've got like 50 new cell phone procurement requests.
Why the gently caress do we need to toss WebEx on this dumpster fire?

oh... because "there's a free 90 day trial"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My CIO just put in a ticket to quietly deploy WebEx to everyone.
We already have Skype for Business. We've got people clamoring for Teams. I've got like 50 new cell phone procurement requests.
Why the gently caress do we need to toss WebEx on this dumpster fire?

oh... because "there's a free 90 day trial"

I got an AOL cd with a free 1000 hours lying about here somewhere...

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Our WFH implementation has been...spotty, at best. Everyone in two locations got told to work from home, no exceptions. In other locations some people got the email from corporate, but others didn't. So then it became a matter of if your director/manager forwarded you the email from corporate or otherwise told you to keep your butt at home.

Right now only 6 out of 22 people in my office decided to work from home. Who knows how many will show up tomorrow.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Hughmoris posted:

Funny you should mention that!

I have been cleaning my home office (slowly, for about a year now) - came across this and a 700 free hours version 7.0 disc (still sealed in its original packaging) that my son took to school to show his friends how old I am.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I have a CD copy of 98SE lying around somewhere that I used to keep on my desk at work. I'd threaten to install it on people's computers when they pissed me off :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We've been moving to cloud-only applications over the past few years, and are fully on board with the Microsoft Modern Desktop stuff, and already work a day a week from home anyway, so moving to full-time WFH was quite easy on a technical level. Maintaining team contact is proving a bit trickier, though we're trying to check in on Teams etc.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I have a CD copy of 98SE lying around somewhere that I used to keep on my desk at work. I'd threaten to install it on people's computers when they pissed me off :v:

I have the 3.5" floppy set for Win95 somewhere in this office, just waiting to be uncovered like some ancient relic.

I'm sure my son will steal that, as well. He likes proof that I am old.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hughmoris posted:

I have a box of them because I'm a packrat. Mint in mint packaging, even some in those nifty tin boxes they used at the height of making money hand over fist.

Pretty sure I have one of those, too. And WinMe, since that's what the computer I built in a class for it used. And about a dozen or so OEM HP Windows 2000s, XPs, and 7s. Why yes, $job-1 was an HP shop, why do you ask?

CollegeCop posted:

I have the 3.5" floppy set for Win95 somewhere in this office, just waiting to be uncovered like some ancient relic.

I'm sure my son will steal that, as well. He likes proof that I am old.

That I don't have, but I'm pretty sure I still have Apple System 6 and System 7 on floppies. I know I have it on CD. And several floppy drawers of software and files. And .MODs. So many .MODs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

We've been moving to cloud-only applications over the past few years, and are fully on board with the Microsoft Modern Desktop stuff, and already work a day a week from home anyway, so moving to full-time WFH was quite easy on a technical level. Maintaining team contact is proving a bit trickier, though we're trying to check in on Teams etc.

My team has been 100% WFH for a couple years now. It’s took us a while to get back to the level of the office, but we use slack just as if we were yelling at each other across cubical walls. A lot of the same mix of work discussions, chit-chat, and asinine conversations but enriched with GIFs.

We’re a fairly small, tight team so there’s still can be some snippy DMs and squabbles at times in our private channel. It’s still better because typing stuff allows people to see what they’re actually saying without firing poo poo out not thinking.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nostalgia for that install screen

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Darchangel posted:

That I don't have, but I'm pretty sure I still have Apple System 6 and System 7 on floppies. I know I have it on CD. And several floppy drawers of software and files. And .MODs. So many .MODs.

Oh yeah, I totally have my old System 7.5 installer disc, and one for some version of OSX...Snow Leopard, I think? I want to say it had a pretty snowy kitty on the cover.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Oh yeah, I totally have my old System 7.5 installer disc, and one for some version of OSX...Snow Leopard, I think? I want to say it had a pretty snowy kitty on the cover.

Yeah, that was 10.6. Notable for two things: being a significant performance improvement on the same hardware compared to 10.5, and for being the version Apple had certified UNIX 2003, making Apple the largest true Unix vendor in history overnight. Unix on the desktop happened in June 2009.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, for OS X I have discs for every major version, OEM and retail, in most cases. For earlier stuff, I have disc images, but only a few physical copies. That all has actually come in handy relatively often, given the way Apple drops support for older machines on a regular basis.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that was 10.6. Notable for two things: being a significant performance improvement on the same hardware compared to 10.5, and for being the version Apple had certified UNIX 2003, making Apple the largest true Unix vendor in history overnight. Unix on the desktop happened in June 2009.

I actually did not know that last part. Neat!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

That's an idle thread, Win98SE was the only good 9x kernel Windows. :colbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There was nothing good about the Chicago kernel. :smugbert:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The thrice-weekly work-from-home Zoom meetings have begun, god help us.

I am currently trying desperately to get my office to use Teams or something instead of trying to do everything through horrible email chains. Or at the very least use google hangouts for in-office back-and-forth stuff.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

remote learning started at 8:00 am this morning and our lms went down at 8:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I was assigned the task of business continuity planner for my chunk of IT. We've been having weekly calls with the person in charge of BC for said chunk. She begins each call by a verbal roll call.

Of the 30 minute call, 15 minutes are the roll call and associated banter.