Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Someone tell me what I'm missing in figuring out the second bell puzzle in Ori 2. Not the solution, I can find that anywhere, but how to get there. I think I must be crazy, half the sites I found talk about how you're supposed to play the solution from the first puzzle backwards as per the tablet, and then write down 9 notes that are not at all the 7 notes from the first puzzle backwards. WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, yeah, this ought to be seconded: if you play Odyssey, play as Kassandra. She's much more likeable a protagonist.
And when it comes to DLC, the ones you really want are Curse of the Pharaohs (Origins) and Fate of Atlantis (Odyssey). The one taking place in Sinai is really bland and the Odyssey one has the stupid timeskip baby plot.

I liked Alexios more, so I always get a little weirded out at how consistently the internet seems to hate him. I didn't think the difference was so extreme that one is objectively better than the other...

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I rage quit Prototype after banging my head against some kind of like, worm boss with multiple heads for like 2 hours. I was having fun until that point. I own Prototype 2 but I haven't played it yet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I liked Alexios more, so I always get a little weirded out at how consistently the internet seems to hate him. I didn't think the difference was so extreme that one is objectively better than the other...
It's the internet. Getting irrationally over-invested in petty things like that is just what people do here.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Someone tell me what I'm missing in figuring out the second bell puzzle in Ori 2. Not the solution, I can find that anywhere, but how to get there. I think I must be crazy, half the sites I found talk about how you're supposed to play the solution from the first puzzle backwards as per the tablet, and then write down 9 notes that are not at all the 7 notes from the first puzzle backwards. WTF?

When you first open up that area and deliver the plot item to Tokk he says "Oh, it's written backwards." That's your hint. :saddowns:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Hwurmp posted:

When you first open up that area and deliver the plot item to Tokk he says "Oh, it's written backwards." That's your hint. :saddowns:

Yeah, but there's no way to actually look at the tablet, or is there? Do I just need to wait for an NPC to tell me what's written on it? That poo poo is always killing me, if walkthroughs only give you the solution, not the reasoning/path. It itches in my brain :cry:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Artelier posted:

well that's a buy for me :stare:

Anyone have any thoughts on Iconoclasts?

The story is really fantastic if a little slow to get moving, the soundtrack is excellent, but the gameplay is a mixed bag. It's mostly a serviceable platformer but each boss fight has a different gimmick, and some of them work better than others. Overall I'd say it's worth a try but don't go in expecting to love it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

People tend to violently overstate it but I think Alexios/Kassandra is kind of the same thing as Shep/Femshep. Shephard/Alexios is totally fine, they're just kind of bland. Unlike Shephard though Alexios does become interesting thanks to the happenings of Odyssey if you're playing Kassandra.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GhostDog posted:

Yeah, but there's no way to actually look at the tablet, or is there? Do I just need to wait for an NPC to tell me what's written on it? That poo poo is always killing me, if walkthroughs only give you the solution, not the reasoning/path. It itches in my brain :cry:

No. You're just supposed to hear a mention of backwards music and start experimenting.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The developers of Morels: The Hunt were nice enough to send me a key for their mushroom-hunting game, something I probably wouldn't have taken a chance on myself. And I would have been missing out, because it's such a lovely little nature simulator especially while I'm stuck in my house.

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I need a break from all this fighting and magicking and commanding and conquering in video games. Sometimes I just want to take a nice, peaceful walk, and without being hounded by ghosts or demons or the specters of my protagonist’s hidden misdeeds, either. Titles like Morels: The Hunt are rare gems for moments like these, games that emphasize a simple outing entirely devoid of conflict, with some benign, constructive goals to achieve. Obviously this isn’t going to be the kind of thrill that everyone is looking for, but if you like collecting things and nature, it should hold plenty of appeal.

You’re a mushroom hunter! A hunter of morels, to be specific, small white-and-black fungi shaped like gnome caps. You’ve got 100 days to collect as many of the things as you can, all over the continental United States. Starting in the deep south and unlocking more locations to explore as time passes, you’ll spend each day combing the woods, fields, and valleys of rural America in search of delectable fungi. It’s not just morels you’re scrounging for, either. Several other mushroom types will earn your points, along with some amateur nature photography, to purchase new hunting gear and pay your way to the more exotic parts of the country. And if you’re really lucky, you might just make some discoveries that earn you headlines in the paper.

Morels: The Hunt was created by four brothers who’ve harbored an actual passion for morel hunting since childhood. The entire game is designed to capture the placid joys of experiencing nature, and it shows. Each area you’re given to search is a lovingly-rendered slice of the great outdoors, full of towering trees, babbling brooks, and vibrant greenery. In particular the high grasses and overgrowth is incredibly dense, giving the game a sense of actual wilderness that even the most immersive first-person games often lack. Over the course of a day you’ll hunt from sun-up to sundown, and night falls fast to immerse you in the near-total dark of nature, unless you bring along a trusty headlamp to aid your search.

The actual morels themselves are fairly small, inconspicuous things, especially with that dense overgrowth I mentioned. There’s actual challenge here to locating any appreciable number of them on a given day, requiring you to scan the foliage carefully for those tell-tale signs of white and black. Other mushrooms have their own visual cues and traits, like puffballs being ruined if you walk over them, and you’ll need to learn which ones are tasty and which are poisonous for the sake of your health and score. The points you get from collecting are used to buy tools like morel markers (which persist between days to mark likely patches), sprays and first aid kits for dealing with seemingly random afflictions like poison ivy and ticks, and upgrades to help you cope with rain, darkness, or just make you move faster. You have an energy bar to watch but it’s mostly a non-issue, only draining if it’s raining and you don’t have a coat, get a tick, or get attacked by the few hostile forms of wildlife in the game.

There are animals here as well, and in some ways they’re even more of a draw than the morels. Dozens of woodland critters, from squirrels and rabbits to deer and bears, can be found roaming the different maps. You have a classic Polaroid camera to engage in a little nature photography, and the first picture you take of each animal you find awards you points. You’ve got to center each creature to get a good snap, and some of the more skittish ones can be a challenge to line up. At times I’ve found the nature photography to be more engaging than the mushroom hunting (for obvious reasons), and it gives some much-needed variety to the gameplay in allowing you to focus on multiple goals or just chase after something other than fungus.

Digging deeper into the game also reveals a number of surprises to uncover. In addition to the many natural creatures of different rarities in each area, there are also secret animals to find. I won’t spoil what they are, but you may notice some distinctly unnatural sounds or tracks in rather out-of-the-way parts of the maps. The maps themselves are anywhere from large to enormous, featuring plenty of side areas like caves and cliffs that take some effort to get to and search. There are also golden morels to find, one hidden in every locale, that I haven’t even worked out the trick to finding. You’ll level up your morel hunting and photography skills as you use them over time, unlocking further hints and options, and there are weekly challenges for each of the in-game weeks to earn you additional points.

It’s a nature-lover’s dream game, honestly, but limited by its indie roots as so many great games are. The environments are a true highlight with how lush and detailed they are, but even on maximum settings the engine suffers from a lot of pop-in on small elements like rocks and shrubbery. I love the animals but don’t expect detailed or even believable behaviors here, as sometimes critters foxes and raccoons will bolt towards you instead of away, or just freeze in place for a bit. Dangerous creatures in particular have no tells or conspicuous behaviors to indicate when they’re fine with you and when they’re about to remove your face. And sometimes the experience gets in the way of itself, like when you finally unlock the ranch in Texas to search after two in-game weeks, only to find having a massive map ten times the size of the previous ones only makes it that much harder to find tiny morels.

Gripes and nitpicks aside, Morels: The Hunt really is an ideal title for anyone wanting a peaceful game about nature. You wouldn’t think a game about hunting mushrooms (the normal kind, not the Mario kind) could be so engrossing, but I’ve spent hours combing the forest floor and chasing around blue jays because it’s just so relaxing and rewarding. The secrets and upgrades are just icing on the cake, because I think I’d be perfectly happy taking nature strolls and picking morels just for the sake of doing it. The world could use more games about relaxing and enjoying the world without conflict, especially now, so make the most of gems like this one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Man I want Morels. I need the right intersection of sale + money + interest in a walking sim/HoG about 'shrooms.

anyways, re: AssCreed

https://twitter.com/ubisoftbe/status/1239952543264002048

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Orv posted:

People tend to violently overstate it but I think Alexios/Kassandra is kind of the same thing as Shep/Femshep. Shephard/Alexios is totally fine, they're just kind of bland. Unlike Shephard though Alexios does become interesting thanks to the happenings of Odyssey if you're playing Kassandra.

I agree, but Shepard and Alexios aren't bland. They've both got an added bit of comedic charm compared to their female counterparts, who are much better dramatically. FemShep is a better and more well rounded character, and I assume Kassandra is too, but Alexios and Shepard just crack me up.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

huh, wouldn't mind giving that spin for the price of free. just way too many other, better videogames on my list to bother picking it or origins up even on the steepest sales

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Too Shy Guy posted:

You wouldn’t think a game about hunting mushrooms...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Man I want Morels. I need the right intersection of sale + money + interest in a walking sim/HoG about 'shrooms.

lmao if they think I'm playing AC on DOOM weekend

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Protip: going out into the forest and just picking real-world shrooms is free and you get to eat them afterwards. Just, uh, go to the library and borrow a mushroom guide first or something.

It's more fun than it sounds, really. Get some family or friends together and make some good memories.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

seriously do some research before you ingest anything though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Protip: going out into the forest and just picking real-world shrooms is free and you get to eat them afterwards. Just, uh, go to the library and borrow a mushroom guide first or something.

It's more fun than it sounds, really. Get some family or friends together and make some good memories.

I like how you think I'm stupid enough to put anything wild-grown in my mouth, try again

(okay but seriously I cannot eat things from the wild, my mom will happily pick berries and eat them and I KNOW they're safe but I can't. Just can't. Ick.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I like how you think I'm stupid enough to put anything wild-grown in my mouth, try again

(okay but seriously I cannot eat things from the wild, my mom will happily pick berries and eat them and I KNOW they're safe but I can't. Just can't. Ick.)
You really don't want to know what commercial fertilizer is made of, in that case.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

You really don't want to know what commercial fertilizer is made of, in that case.

The less I know about how food is made, the happier I am.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Based on recent-ish chat in this thread and the fact that it is currently less than $4 I bought Dawn of Discovery Gold. I've never played an Anno game but I've always been interested in them. They're kind of like Civ but instead of looking at a whole map of multiple cities you're kind of zoomed in onto one, right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not exactly, no. These games keep getting more and more complex and it's hard to really explain all of it in a few sentences, but where Civilization games are all about the big picture, the Anno games are more like the old Caesar games or something like Tropico. It's not down to the Tropico level of every single citizen being an individual character with their own stats, but distances and distributions and such matter. The place will develop dependent on specific and individual resources that actually exist as stored goods in-game, rather than being Civ-style abstractions. They need to be transported to places, some can only be produced certain islands and need to be imported from colonies etc., that kind of thing. It's primarily a city-building and economy game. Combat is mostly an optional addition on top.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently morels are mostly mycorrhizal, which is kind of the opposite of decay! :eng101:

(Death caps are mycorrhizal too, though, so land of contrasts all around)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

owl_pellet posted:

Based on recent-ish chat in this thread and the fact that it is currently less than $4 I bought Dawn of Discovery Gold. I've never played an Anno game but I've always been interested in them. They're kind of like Civ but instead of looking at a whole map of multiple cities you're kind of zoomed in onto one, right?
It's more of a logistics challenge than a strategy one. You (usually) have 1 main island and use other islands to supply them with goods to keep the populace happy and allowing them to advance.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If you don't own Nuclear Throne yet:

1. what the gently caress?
2. get it now because it's 90% off: https://store.steampowered.com/app/242680/Nuclear_Throne/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
IIRC, both Prototype games do have some manner of technical wonkiness but nothing that wasn't cleared up easily (check PCGamingWiki). I think 1 needed a patch or something and 2 has a common problem where you need to set the CPU affinity to 1 core for like 2 seconds and then the game works flawlessly beyond that. Prototype 2 also has a reputation for loving hating non-Nvidia graphics cards but I have no idea how that shakes out nowadays.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks for posting this. I know it's over Doom launch weekend, but Odyssey is in my top 10 games ever, so if you have even the slightest interest in it, give it a try.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I agree, but Shepard and Alexios aren't bland. They've both got an added bit of comedic charm compared to their female counterparts, who are much better dramatically. FemShep is a better and more well rounded character, and I assume Kassandra is too, but Alexios and Shepard just crack me up.

I think the problem with Odyssey (I don't actually think it's a problem) is that they did such a good job with making your choice of character feel "correct" that I can't even fathom playing the game as Alexios now that I've finished it as Kassandra. Not really complaining though because that's a lot of loving game to play twice.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Doesn't every healthy and tasty mushroom have an undistinguishable opposite that is instead lethally poisonous and indigenous to the same areas? Or is that just a trope I picked up from books/movies/games?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Griefor posted:

Doesn't every healthy and tasty mushroom have an undistinguishable opposite that is instead lethally poisonous and indigenous to the same areas? Or is that just a trope I picked up from books/movies/games?
Fifty-fifty, I'd say. It's not as many as you'd think, but enough that investing in a good mushroom guide and inspecting your haul of the day very closely before consumption is a sensible idea.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Beat Ori over the weekend, and it was loads of fun. Whoever designed an entire escape around using the difficult to control burrow ability that you get to restart on any minor fuckup can eat my entire rear end, though. Took me like 30 attempts to get through that thing.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

GhostDog posted:

When you got into that area the first time, did you just play notes at random until it opened? Because it tells you what notes to play - it's the heights of the stone obelisk things in the background of the scene. To open the second door, you play them right to left instead of left to right.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

State of Decay 2 nineteen hours later report: just beat my first game! If you missed my first effort post essay on the game you should probably skim that first. tl;dr I love this game and its spaghetti pile of interlocking systems that add up to frantic roadtrip planning while fighting zombies and managing your base and its people.

So I moved to the firehouse base, focused on upgrading it while befriending other enclaves of survivors, and chipped away at the main goal of clearing out plague hearts.

Here's how you win State of Decay 2: the ultimate goal is clearing out your chosen map of plague hearts, then doing a final quest chain to basically stake your claim on the area. On normal difficulty it goes: upgrade survivor's reputation high enough to pick them as a leader -> pick them -> destroy all 9 plague hearts -> follow your leader's quest -> be warned by the game that this is the final mission and you can't play as this community anymore -> beat final mission, watch credits -> start new game with boons and survivors, make a legacy.

Plague hearts are a neat challenge - they're placed around the map in infested zones, and you have to go there and kill them while they spawn waves of blood zombies. I highly recommend explosives and guns, as melee is... tough to use on them. Clearing them also makes the area a little safer, while making other hearts tougher.

My final main mission chain was the Sheriff's - While helping a friendly group look for some friends, we found them dead in their home. Then we found a note indicating that a group was gunning for them, for us, and the friendly group - so we raced back to rescue the friendly group. Human vs human combat is really lethal as they have guns, will dodge-roll a ton, and take a lot of hits to kill. And you can't really use fire as that wipes out friendlies!

So that done, we found out that they were the advance scouting party of a bigger gang about to move in. Cue a series of missions where I run around checking on my allied enclaves, then run around protecting them, then we find their base, and yep, final mission. I pulled out my assault rifle from storage and went to town on them and yay, we rule this zone.

The writing is kinda cheesy but it works, and I like the theme of protecting yourself and your friends against a hostile world, and then working to improve it. The game doesn't show it, but I can definitely picture my band of survivors turning the map into a bustling reinforced town that's self-sufficient and a bastion of humanity. There's also a line in the ending monologue about how humanity can take back the world, one town at a time - setting us up for a new game. There are three other maps I haven't played on, and I'd love to tackle this one again someday.

Gameplay notes:

- As soon as your base can swing it, upgrade to an auto shop and upgrade one of your cars. Having a fast tiny car with armor saved me so many toolkits and meant I could just zoom around willynilly.
- DLC weaponry is kinda silly. No, very silly. Use with caution.
- Keeping weapons repaired is expensive, and you find oodles of them anyways, so only repair the really good ones.
- First aid kits are the BEST.

Story notes:

- In the finale sequence I did get to talk to several of my survivors and there was a nice small bit between the lesbians I started with. Like, two lines, but I'm glad it was there.
- Yes I kept the lesbians alive
- Yes one of them became the sheriff
- Sheriff with a broadsword and an assault rifle and infinite napalm grenades in her backpack

With those supplies you still have to be careful because zombie mobs can overwhelm you, and god help you if you run into a feral or juggernaut. I lost Regina late-game because I got overconfident and a feral ate her barely a block from home. :rip:

Now - I'm told that the jump in difficulty between normal -> hard1 -> hard2 is really nuts, as they designed the two hard modes for veterans who have played this game a bunch, so I won't be touching those yet. I'm glad they're there, but they sound terrifying.

Finally, DLC report:

- haven't touched Heartland yet as it sounds plot-focused and fun and I'm not ready
- Daybreak: weird small multiplayer-focused zombie defense mode. Only has one map, the waves have a set pattern, and it gets boring fast while the unlocks are sl-o-o-o-o-o-w. But you get prestige points as well as unlocked weapons that can be used in the main mode. I play it here and there but yeah, it's not great. The weapons from this mode tend to be overpowered, too - so it's a very optional experience.

Dev report: according to their livestream yesterday they're working on bugfixes... working remotely from their homes because they're in seattle washington. No word on their long-term plans yet.

tl;dr

State of Decay 2 really really good, highly recommended. If any of this sounds appealing please give it a shot, it should be 60$ instead of 30$.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I didn't realize this was also going to be a free weekend on Steam, but there is no pre-loading in that case (unlike Uplay).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Finally, DLC report:

- haven't touched Heartland yet as it sounds plot-focused and fun and I'm not ready

I'm in the middle of a Heartland playthrough right now and can confirm it's very good. Every zombie on the map is a blood plague zombie so it ratchets up the tension when any time you take damage you get plagued which needs to be healed back at base, so if you get jumped you can get hosed over very quickly. The base they start you in is huge with some large spots for improvements and (I think) some new structures like a Drone tower that let you scout or do bombing runs. There's a plot device that isn't present in any of the normal game modes that you have to work around in this one too so you can clear the town of the blood plague. All in all it's great, when I started I thought it said I'd be able to bring characters into the main game from this when I beat it but it's not looking like that's actually the case which would be a bummer because I've gotten attached to these people :smith:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I slept on all the zombie sim games cause I figured they were janky unfun messes. But I liked that old flash game where you managed a zombie fortress. What’s the gold star title of this apparently now developed sub-genre?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

explosivo posted:

I'm in the middle of a Heartland playthrough right now and can confirm it's very good. Every zombie on the map is a blood plague zombie so it ratchets up the tension when any time you take damage you get plagued which needs to be healed back at base, so if you get jumped you can get hosed over very quickly. The base they start you in is huge with some large spots for improvements and (I think) some new structures like a Drone tower that let you scout or do bombing runs. There's a plot device that isn't present in any of the normal game modes that you have to work around in this one too so you can clear the town of the blood plague. All in all it's great, when I started I thought it said I'd be able to bring characters into the main game from this when I beat it but it's not looking like that's actually the case which would be a bummer because I've gotten attached to these people :smith:

Aw, that's sad to hear, but kinda makes sense. Still - looking forward to playing it! Thank you!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

State of decay year one is actually very decent, if you like that try the sequel

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is Origins better than Odyssey? I've seen this argument a lot, and I would prefer to get Origins, as it's cheaper, but I love me some Greek history, so if Odyssey is better in every way, I might go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Odyssey is better.