Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I believe that went hand in hand didn't it? ST wasn't instanced so there was nothing to stop a guild from swarming in and trashing attempts on the warders if someone tried to kill the 4th one.

Yeah but, for years this was left alone and not killed, even in the era where warders are 2-4 groupable. Any guild going in to farm warder loot at any time over those years could have woken her. If you can kill any single warder you can kill them all.

It was absolutely an agreed upon line to not cross, no other situation could have allowed it. Even assuming it was 24/7 camped crew. Not enough mobs to train down there, and pvp can only prevent a raid force for so long with such a run back to camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

PyRosflam posted:

I was there for beta 3 and 4, like we had CDs mailed for the beta program. I do not recall this at all said by anyone. I do recall Brad taking about someone reading war and peace while playing the game and asking for less downtime. Also form comments of the day were so pro downtime it was nuts. I mean you should party and enjoy your lower exp rate.

Way before then, as in the first sit down's about creating a fantasy mmo that was the proposal. There were games before EQ that used a pay by hour model, as well as internet providers which was pointed out. Meridian59 came out before EQ and it had a monthly pay model and they pretty quickly decided pay by hour was not the way to go. My understanding though is it was discussed, but that could just be like anything is discussed during the early phases, maybe it wasn't actually considered.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
RZ was still pretty civil around Velious. There were shitbags sure but nothing like what people think about from Omens on, and certainly not even close to the level Sullon was famous for.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Baconroll posted:

For the Rathe council how many enchanters are needed for a 1st attempt ? So the guild is raid geared but only just in the elementals.

There are 6 mezzable mobs and a break pretty much is a dead chanter if my very old memories of the event is accurate.

On TLPs? 2. You really only need 1 to keep all 6 mezzed, but having 1 as a back up is fine.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MF_James posted:

Boredom, ingenuity, and probably sometimes GMs/Guides telling people what to do or giving hints. Once a couple oddball things get figured out, it snowballs because then you know what to do/look for etc.

As for placeholders/spawn lists: time, documentation and data mining, people were using stuff like ZAM or whatever it was/precursors and eventually sussed things out, plus they would religiously document and eventually folks would figure stuff out.

To be fair, in the early years of the game, ZAM wasn't built on datamined information, it was straight up user edited like a wiki. It had a significant amount of incomplete or outright wrong information (the early iteration of Plane of Mischief comes to mind as being full of bad info, as someone who spent a good amount of time there). Raid content was equally kind of spotty because this was the time when a lot of big raid guilds would 'trade secret' their strategies and such as a way to keep other guilds from overtaking them.

For what it's worth, I do carry some nostalgia for the time before everything was datamined to death. There's something a bit romantic about there being some level of mystery to the game.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

DeathSandwich posted:

To be fair, in the early years of the game, ZAM wasn't built on datamined information, it was straight up user edited like a wiki. It had a significant amount of incomplete or outright wrong information (the early iteration of Plane of Mischief comes to mind as being full of bad info, as someone who spent a good amount of time there). Raid content was equally kind of spotty because this was the time when a lot of big raid guilds would 'trade secret' their strategies and such as a way to keep other guilds from overtaking them.

For what it's worth, I do carry some nostalgia for the time before everything was datamined to death. There's something a bit romantic about there being some level of mystery to the game.

Yeah now our raid guild has a guy as our raid leader who has a spreadsheet about every fight. So it's just like OK you guys stand there then bards here then warriors here....OK we won. Next target. We almost never fail on a first attempt. Like aow we killed right away no problem. Just cruise right through because there's no figuring anything out. Good and bad. It'd be cool to have to figure things out. But in a tlp you only have three months at a time so there is sort of a time crunch.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
It's funny to think about playing on live where I just remember failing at stuff over and over. And being like we'll get them next week haha. And also on live you're competing for same mobs because no dzs or pick zones at the time

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Finally bought a selos speed mount on Mangler - why didn't I do this sooner !

Cost a bit but other than potions theres nothing else to spend pp on now.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Essential posted:

Way before then, as in the first sit down's about creating a fantasy mmo that was the proposal. There were games before EQ that used a pay by hour model, as well as internet providers which was pointed out. Meridian59 came out before EQ and it had a monthly pay model and they pretty quickly decided pay by hour was not the way to go. My understanding though is it was discussed, but that could just be like anything is discussed during the early phases, maybe it wasn't actually considered.

That's a lot different than what you originally said

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Holly Longdale exits Darkpaw Games.

So, uhhhh, losing the head of the studio shortly after the splitoff of Daybreak doesn't seem to bode well...

If any worried souls are ready to jump into the EQEmu world we need a few more brave souls to help us kill instanced dragons and custom content, at a casual space.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Except that Jchan has been the one doing the work for like 5 years.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Considering her view of the Everquest games (that there would never be new players so there is no point trying to get people to play the games) a change in director might be a good thing.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Considering her view of the Everquest games (that there would never be new players so there is no point trying to get people to play the games) a change in director might be a good thing.

is that why the eq2 steam page is like 6 years out of date? lmao

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tsurupettan posted:

is that why the eq2 steam page is like 6 years out of date? lmao

“We have a good complement of people who are in their 40s and into their 50s now who started in gaming when they were younger,” Longdale tells Variety. “But we also have another segment that is the kids who used to watch their parents play.”

There are no active acquisition efforts. Instead, Daybreak is playing off of nostalgia, finding most of its players are returning to the game. Those that are jumping in for the first time likely have an indirect connection.

“It’s all reacquisition,” Longdale explains. “That’s our play. It’s all reacquisition. We’re not trying to get new people, we’re trying to charm and get in touch with those people who played in the past or play with their families or saw a friend play in college.”

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got turned off by there not being low level groups anymore, but I play at such weird times that I can't find many groups on P99 anyway :v: I like bard, but should I roll something like mage or necro first for soloing? I don't expect to get too many groups, so I may as well go with something that's got solo power and the consensus seems to be that bards are better in groups.

e: holy poo poo i usually only post on mobile what happened to my av lol

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 9, 2020

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Necros and mages are both two of the better solo campers, early game leveling will be harder on necro because your pet is held together by elmers glue.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Bonus exp is active now - no idea what the % is but seems pretty decent.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
They are talking about the new TLP servers in case anyone cares anymore.

https://www.everquest.com/news/anniversary-21-overseer-xp-march-2020

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They also nerfed the Overseer thing into the ground.

TBH I thought it was pretty boring in the first place, but now it's just pointless.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/upcoming-overseer-changes.264015/

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Robo Reagan posted:

I got turned off by there not being low level groups anymore, but I play at such weird times that I can't find many groups on P99 anyway :v: I like bard, but should I roll something like mage or necro first for soloing? I don't expect to get too many groups, so I may as well go with something that's got solo power and the consensus seems to be that bards are better in groups.

e: holy poo poo i usually only post on mobile what happened to my av lol

Bards actually do allright solo too. Even if you're not swarmkiting (which I think is nerfed in the current version of P99 anyways, but lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIlfIN8pqZM). They have tools to do charm/fearkiting

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Bards actually do allright solo too. Even if you're not swarmkiting (which I think is nerfed in the current version of P99 anyways, but lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIlfIN8pqZM). They have tools to do charm/fearkiting

I recall fear kiting making me a total terror on PVP servers.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Bars kiting was killed on TLPs, those songs only damage mobs if they are not moving now :(

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It doesn't matter as much on TLP, TLP exp rates and class dps due to quality of life buffs are so much higher than P99 it's probably more efficient to just grind in a party.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

suuma posted:

It doesn't matter as much on TLP, TLP exp rates and class dps due to quality of life buffs are so much higher than P99 it's probably more efficient to just grind in a party.

Ya, Give me a bard to pull and I am stupid happy as a group.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I just started playing again after a long break. It looks like that last time I played was 2012.

Anyways, I'm on Live and am leveling a Shadowknight with the help of my Shaman. The Shaman is 87 and because he was my main is in appropriate gear (for the time). The shadowknight is 71 and not even fully geared. I think he's missing rings, pants, and some other stuff. Is there a gear progression guide or anything like that out there? What the hell should I be working on at 71?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

onesixtwo posted:

Paging master Zliz.. are we ever going to see an updated UI? I miss it a heck of a lot.

Hello :) Sorry I missed your post, I don't check SA so often now. I typically receive an email from a friendly fellow when my UI breaks due to a patch, and I updated it back in late december 2019:

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417

For those not in the know, it's a custom UI I maintain, in a minimalistic style. It had a mix of various UI elements I like from other UIs, such as the Sparxx inventory window, and other pieces.

If it breaks, the best contact point would be to send me a private message here on SA, then I'll get notified about it by email.

I've been unfaithful to EQ the past two winters (where I usually play); last year it was Skyrim, this winter it's Classic WoW which I'm enjoying the poo poo out of. But I haven't forgotten EQ. :)

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is there a gear progression guide or anything like that out there? What the hell should I be working on at 71?

The 70-100 level range is rough for gear progression. You can find weapons and non-vis slots on the Bazaar, as loot from level appropiate named, or purchase them using currency from running missions. Filling in the visible armor slots is more annoying.

Going expansion by expansion, you have (required/recommended):
(75/80) Paragon's
-- comes from Hero's Journey achievements for Seeds of Destruction. Basically just completing group progression in Oceangreen, Kithicor, Field of Scale.
(80/85) Abstruse
-- base component drops from T1 named in House of Thule. The component isn't tradable but the finished armor piece is and can rarely be found on bazaar. To turn the drop into a piece of gear you need templates from tradeskill combines and chances are you'll never see them for sale. But if you can gather up the required mats you can probably find someone in general chat to craft the template for you.
(85/90) Rustic
-- base component drops from T1 named in Veil of Alaris. Tradable. Requires a template similar to Abstruse.
(92/95) Fear Touched
-- base component drops from T1 named in Rain of Fear. Tradable. No template.
(100) Latent Ether
-- base component from T1 named and missions in Call of the Forsaken. Tradable. Also purchasable with Marks of Valor, a currency earned from CoTF missions.
(100) Castaway
-- from T1 named/missions in The Darkened Sea. Tradable, but rarely available in the bazaar. No template.
(75+) Crypt Hunter
-- from named in The Broken Mirror. Drops as level 75 gear, and can come from Heroic Adventures that also scale down to level 75. Not tradable. The armor has special augment slots (5,9) that let you to scale the gear up level 105. The scaling augs are purchased with a currency (Remnant of Tranquility) that is tradable, so you're able to stay up to date through the bazaar if you can get the initial armor drops.

If you can manage it, the best route is the TBM crypt hunter gear. I don't think it's especially soloable, though. HAs are designed for 2-3 chars with mercs and your characters being far apart in levels isn't doing you any favors because enemy levels will scale to the highest level char in the zone.

CoTF HAs are a bit easier than TBM HAs and give another gear path from 75->100. The missions scale down to 75 and you earn Marks of Valor (not tradable) that can be spent on upgrades every 5 levels. But that still might not be the best fit your situation, with the difference in levels. In the past people would run the Gribble HAs in Dead Hills constantly and you could maybe find a group, but no clue if it's still a thing.

You can look for Glowing Othni/Reis (level 71, level 85) components on the bazaar. It's from a seasonal event, and can be rare.

The templates required for HoT and VoA armor make the 80-90 level range kind of poo poo if you're gearing expansion by expansion. Fear Touched and beyond isn't too bad, though.

To be honest, the approach that will generate the least friction is whaling on Krono and buying a powerlevel to 105+. At that point you can sit in T1 zones to leech rotting gear or continue spending for tradeskill armor. EQ nowadays is heavily focused on the Krono economy and either whaling or taking advantage of whales.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 25, 2020

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?

Happy Hedonist posted:

I just started playing again after a long break. It looks like that last time I played was 2012.

Anyways, I'm on Live and am leveling a Shadowknight with the help of my Shaman. The Shaman is 87 and because he was my main is in appropriate gear (for the time). The shadowknight is 71 and not even fully geared. I think he's missing rings, pants, and some other stuff. Is there a gear progression guide or anything like that out there? What the hell should I be working on at 71?

There are some vendors in PoK near the Soulbinder that sell jewelry that's BIS up to a certain level. I think 71 might be around the top tier stuff but I can't remember. If nothing else, it will be something to fill the slot. Check the Bazaar for defiant gear for cheap. After I think around level 80 defiant gear drops off and you start itemizing for the era you're closest to level-wise. I think they're getting ready to give away heroic characters again, so maybe look into that. Boosts him to 85 with full spells/skills/AAs/gear that's not terrible for the level. Then you can start the HoT progression and maybe drop some named spawns for gear upgrades.

Sorry this is a half-assed answer but it's something to get you started.

edit: gnoma is better at this than me :saddowns:

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
I still love this drat game very much so I randomly decided to resub for the anniversary event. The last time I played level 90 was the cap. As a Shadow Knight is there somewhere I can solo to get to 100?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Assuming this is a non FV server I'd do the repeatable quests in House zone until 92 then get some cheap gear, look for a cheap Reticent Gar and then start shitstomping Fear Itself with it. Swarming isn't as good as it used to be but you can spam lifetaps with a 2h out for pretty quick no-merc kills

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Kinda wish they'd release new TLP already so I can play while working from home :smith:

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
Yeah man, I loving love doing classic -> PoP grind over and over and over and over.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
I'm genuinely curious, why do people stop at PoP? I've always found SoF and onwards to be some of the best content EQ ever produced, and with the exception of two expansions being extremely bland (DoN) or outright poo poo (PoR), the stuff after PoP isn't too bad either, especially now that they've backported a bunch of QOL stuff.

Anyways, I've seen the announcements about there being a boxing server, and even then I'm pretty tepid on playing EQ again. None of my friends seem all that interested either, which is probably why I'm not caring all that much.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
One of the biggest reasons is the timing of new tlps. They release a new tlp about the time pop is over on the prior tlp.

So even if you want to stay post pop most of the server went to the new server. The other thing is eq was at its height around pop. Wow was in the works and ultimately came out about two years after pop was released. They were doing about one expansion a year. So full year of peak eq pop then wow started destroying eq.

From a day break stand point I think it's partly on purpose and partly odd timing. They are now releasing a new tlp usually every year. They don't have to but I am sure they're finding it boosts their subscriptions every year. So that's why they keep doing it. They usually are doing three months per expansion. If they only do four weeks it's way to fast and server dies. Maybe eight weeks would be long enough and still give time to get to post pop expansions in the one year. In general I think most people like the three month expansion time line and wish they'd wait a year before releasing a new tlp. So that mangler or the like could actually progress to newer content without being canibalized. But that would probably hurt revenue because obviously manglers population has dwindled some in a year even though currently there are a bunch of raid guilds still going.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hoohah posted:

I'm genuinely curious, why do people stop at PoP? I've always found SoF and onwards to be some of the best content EQ ever produced, and with the exception of two expansions being extremely bland (DoN) or outright poo poo (PoR), the stuff after PoP isn't too bad either, especially now that they've backported a bunch of QOL stuff.

I believe it’s because the learning/commitment curve went way up after PoP. Once you do flagging twice as a guild, you’re basically done and get to log in 2-3 times a week to raid, depending on how fast you can clear elemental gods and early phases in PoTime. It’s easy mode, you aren’t dealing with advanced focii and heroic stats, AAs feel well developed, while not being overwhelming.. and there’s the nostalgia kick.

GoD has the flagging requirements and BiC. Omens had individual factioning and keying for Anguish. Dragons had the expansion currency and pretty essential flags that no one would bother with once DoDh dropped. DoDh is good all the way through, but again had commitment attached to Demi flag with Vule and the werewolf mask. PoR is garbage and entirely skippable except for the spells and auras they introduced.

Once TSS dropped, now you’re into ranked spells and TBS had expansion currency again, power sources, and everything got real complicated real quick.

If you stuck with it, you could manage, but you really needed to know people who were experienced with the content to be able to help you with understanding the newer systems. Allas had the outline for each of the expansions you could use like a checklist, however it never got easier than in PoP, regardless of how interesting the raids got.

I’ll be fair and say that my post-TBS experience is fairly limited and while I love a lot about the post-PoP content (I like GoD-DoDh more than Velious-PoP), it’s because I’ve done it several times and am super familiar with it all now.

That said, trying to hop in at DoN/DoDh earlier this year on Coirnav with some friends was just miserable. There was so much to catch back up on and when I hit the wall of not being able to get DoN progression flags because literally no one wanted to go back and do the tier 4-5 raids, and not being able to swarm Hive instances because I was behind the power curve, thus behind the AA curve, it was either hunker down for 300 hours in Paw, or get that sweet, sweet, Total Warhammer 2 jive going, the choice sort of made itself.

I do look forward to the new TLPs. In theory, I’d love to do progression again. I’m considering trying a class combination I’ve never played before on the new truebox server, but whether I’ll stick it out remains to be seen.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
Theres a few reasons people keep rerolling. First is, people are loving stupid.

Everyone thinks they 'missed the boat' with TLPs. "I can't start late because I'll be behind, so I'll just wait until the new TLP."

Kronolords reroll because pre-pop is the best farming and because they follow the population.

EQ is a poo poo game and some people cannot people it without nostalgia.

EQ gets fairly active past lvl 75 because of AA cooldowns. Everyone 'hates' this, but honestly it feels amazing have actual impactful poo poo to do outside of "ok pop my dps disc... ok cool im done".

koreban posted:

That said, trying to hop in at DoN/DoDh earlier this year on Coirnav with some friends was just miserable. There was so much to catch back up on and when I hit the wall of not being able to get DoN progression flags because literally no one wanted to go back and do the tier 4-5 raids, and not being able to swarm Hive instances because I was behind the power curve, thus behind the AA curve, it was either hunker down for 300 hours in Paw

Were your friends not helping with the raids? gently caress it, wait for TSS and lvl 75. Or make friends with more people and see who else needs it for boxes/alts, it's not a make/break thing. Also, I don't know what class(es) you rolled, but Paw is loving baller xp. Even up to lvl 80 if you are a solo/duo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I honestly would love to see the profit margins behind krono sellers. I imagine if everything is automated you can make a shitload of money once it’s all set up.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

FranktheBank posted:

Yeah man, I loving love doing classic -> PoP grind over and over and over and over.

I fully admit to having a broken brain but sometimes games are just fun to play with your friends :shrug:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Honestly as a live player I'd say your brain is way more broken if you enjoy live, my 8 hotbars say hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RCarr posted:

I honestly would love to see the profit margins behind krono sellers. I imagine if everything is automated you can make a shitload of money once it’s all set up.

Before krono, back in... PoP/GoD and a little beyond eras, I knew a guy playing EQ as his job. He played 16-18 hours a day, said he cleared 150k-200k a year. Never met the guy in person, he's also dead from a (most likely) unrelated car accident.