Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, this is one of those situations where no one is going to question a gap at all. It really sucks my man but things will get better and you're in this with a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Sucks dude. What kind of process engineering do you do?

First five years was with a big single use plastics company 50% process improvement 50% launching new lines. Recent job was going to be developing and expanding a graphene process.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
No one’s called to cancel my interview tomorrow sooo...over/under odds I get there and the place is shut down and no one remembered to call me?

It’s a privately owned warehouse logistics company so they’re not impacted by the stock market crash and warehouses are still a booming business (Amazon hiring 100k new people to handle demand). So who the heck knows.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why don't... you call them to make sure?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Question for people with HR and hiring roles: do you take candidates any less seriously if they apply for multiple positions?

A friend of mine is job hunting right now and she's concerned that if she applies for all the roles she fits into at a company, it may make her look less serious about the one she's most interested in, and make her less likely to be on the shortlist for consideration.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why don't... you call them to make sure?

They emailed today and canceled. I excepted as much.

Guess I’m staying put employment-wise for a while.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

that sucks, man, but yeah you probably don't want to be fuckin around with the corona right now

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Unsinkabear posted:

Question for people with HR and hiring roles: do you take candidates any less seriously if they apply for multiple positions?

A friend of mine is job hunting right now and she's concerned that if she applies for all the roles she fits into at a company, it may make her look less serious about the one she's most interested in, and make her less likely to be on the shortlist for consideration.

Context matters. If you carpet bomb, it's bad. If you are targeting a couple positions that make sense most people are fine with it. Bigger companies are more likely to have no idea if there are multiple orgs.

I would suggest finding the job that appears to be the closest fit and then talking with the recruiter about other roles that may also fit. Of course, this requires you to get to a recruiter, so some balancing has to go on there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Krispy Wafer posted:

Unfortunately, the economy being what it presently is means we will have to consider ourselves fortunate to be employed at all for a while.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear the job market a year from now is going to be real, real ugly. Like way uglier than 2009.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Eric the Mauve posted:

I hope I'm wrong but I fear the job market a year from now is going to be real, real ugly. Like way uglier than 2009.

Based on what?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Combination of a lot of people losing their jobs by the time this all settles down (nothing good happens for workers when demand for jobs exceeds supply), and companies deciding they can cut personnel even more/developing an even greater appetite for automation

Could be wrong. Sure hope I am.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're not. :smithcloud:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unfortunately, the economy being what it presently is means we will have to consider ourselves fortunate to be employed at all for a while.

I sort of fear this as well - similar to 2009, the processes and jobs that can be automated away will be and never coming back.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On the bright side hopefully working from home becomes more of an option for people whose job translates ok to that. My company has been very resistant to it up until the silicon valley offices got shut down by the government.

WFH has its downsides too of course but having it as an option is nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My company shut off hiring last week, we had like three or four open positions at a 60 person firm. Still have two college grads joining us and we probably won't rescind offers, but I imagine a lot of other small firms are in similar or worse positions.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baronash posted:

Based on what?

On Feb. 12, the Dow closed at a record 29,551 points. As of yesterday, the Dow is trading close to 21,600 points – a drop of nearly 8,000 points or 27% from the peak. The S&P 500 hit a peak on Feb. 19 when it closed at 3,386 points. Cut to the present and the index is now trading above 2,500 points, a drop of more than 26%. The Dow tumbled into bearish territory over just 20 trading days, far quicker than other declines of such caliber. Past 20% declines from the index's peak took 255 days on average, with a median of 156 trading sessions. The second fastest bear slide took place in 1929, when the Great Crash contributed to a 36-session drop into a bear market.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Hughlander posted:

On Feb. 12, the Dow closed at a record 29,551 points. As of yesterday, the Dow is trading close to 21,600 points – a drop of nearly 8,000 points or 27% from the peak. The S&P 500 hit a peak on Feb. 19 when it closed at 3,386 points. Cut to the present and the index is now trading above 2,500 points, a drop of more than 26%. The Dow tumbled into bearish territory over just 20 trading days, far quicker than other declines of such caliber. Past 20% declines from the index's peak took 255 days on average, with a median of 156 trading sessions. The second fastest bear slide took place in 1929, when the Great Crash contributed to a 36-session drop into a bear market.

This is not an answer, it's a recitation of facts. A stock market crash in and of itself is not the sole cause of a jobs crisis.

e: And to clarify, I'm not arguing against the likelihood of a recession and a lovely job market. However, it's dumb to wildly speculate on the severity of a crisis when the only reasoning you can offer is some vague muttering about the Dow.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 17, 2020

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baronash posted:

This is not an answer, it's a recitation of facts. A stock market crash in and of itself is not the sole cause of a jobs crisis.

You asked why someone may have a fear. I gave a reason as to why someone may have a fear.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Baronash posted:

e: And to clarify, I'm not arguing against the likelihood of a recession and a lovely job market. However, it's dumb to wildly speculate on the severity of a crisis when the only reasoning you can offer is some vague muttering about the Dow.

A pretty good number of companies are not profitable. They run on cash in reserves often created by loans or by selling equity in the company. A constriction in the capital markets, which is likely if those facts continue to be true, means the owners of the companies will not be sure they can raise additional capital to keep the company going. Rather than let the company die and fire everyone, they are forced to terminate people so that they can become profitable so that they can hold on until capital becomes available.

Additionally, new companies will have trouble getting loans or raising capital because of the constrictions in those same capital markets.

These forces combine to result in increased unemployment. I know this because I run an unprofitable company and I thank loving christ our burn rate will likely let us hold on a while.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Automation will almost certainly accelerate in conjunction with the particular tenor of this crisis. Anyone else notice Amazon just started licensing its "pick up your poo poo and walk out of the store without further ado" system out a couple weeks ago? Who wants to bet hundreds of thousands of cashier jobs will disappear forever in the next year?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baronash posted:

Great, with your edit can you provide a counter example where entering a Bear market led to lower levels of unemployment than during the proceeding bull market?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Dr. Quarex posted:

Automation will almost certainly accelerate in conjunction with the particular tenor of this crisis. Anyone else notice Amazon just started licensing its "pick up your poo poo and walk out of the store without further ado" system out a couple weeks ago? Who wants to bet hundreds of thousands of cashier jobs will disappear forever in the next year?
Amazon did the Covid virus, pass it on.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Great, with your edit can you provide a counter example where entering a Bear market led to lower levels of unemployment than during the proceeding bull market?

Matter of fact I can. The crash of 1987 had little to no impact on unemployment rate over the following 6 months, which lowered very slightly from 6% in October (right before the crash) to 5.7% 6 months later.

That's not particularly important though, because the post I was replying to specifically stated their belief was that the worst economic downturn in half a century would pale in comparison to the one they conjured up in their head. And since that is the barometer, you can look to pretty much any stock market crash over that same period and will not find one that hit the country nearly as hard.

A recession is practically inevitable at this point, but nodding sagely as someone talks about how this recession is gonna be the worst cause they feel it in their bones is dumb and bad.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 18, 2020

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Hey resume thread, anyone have thoughts on writing a private sector resume vs a public sector resume? I'm a contractor and would love to join the government. My USAJobs account is a graveyard of "not referred.". My husband is a fed, and I made him look at my private sector resume, which I've always had excellent results from. He hated it and said it wouldn't work for the government.

Main takeaways:
- never use color (govt printers are cheap)
- include a location for every role (relocation expenses are not included, so if you're not local, you're tossed)
- use bullets vs paragraphs (need to be able to lift concise text to justify your referral)
- remember that your resume will be sent to the hiring official as part of a massive PDF file; try to stand out

Anyone got anything else specific to the US government?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

The only recession in the working history of half the workforce is the second worst one in US history. It's easier to bounce back from a recession with an external cause rather than a systemic cause. Depressed demand will rebound.

I'm not saying it won't suck. But I don't see any reason it'll be worse than an average recession.

My dad taught me: "It's never as bad as you fear nor as good as you hope. It's always somewhere in the middle."

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Dik Hz posted:

The only recession in the working history of half the workforce is the second worst one in US history. It's easier to bounce back from a recession with an external cause rather than a systemic cause. Depressed demand will rebound.

I'm not saying it won't suck. But I don't see any reason it'll be worse than an average recession.

My dad taught me: "It's never as bad as you fear nor as good as you hope. It's always somewhere in the middle."

Don't disagree with some of this but I think you're underplaying the cascading effects if this goes for more than a couple of weeks.

Sure, we're worked through some of what caused the Great Recession in the financial/banking system - however since then, fueled by low interest rates and a pliable regulatory environment, companies themselves have absolutely gorged themselves on debt, stock buybacks and similar non-strategic investments, so unwinding that is going to be pretty painful. Not to mention those in low-margin industries and VC-funded startups (lol) have been operating if not completely unsustainably, with very little margin for error.

The bailouts rumored for seemingly every major vertical (or at least the mega-corporations with plenty of lobbyists) potentially affected by all of this, combined with the QE that's been done so far, the direct cash payouts to taxpayers and even more discussed, has surpassed the 2008 ones, which is pretty amazing in and of itself.

If these mass quarantines continue until May/June or even longer, I can easily see the US hitting double digit unemployment again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This is completely uncharted territory. It's almost pointless to make predictions because no one has enough info.

That said my prediction is 2 months of this followed by testing on a wide scale (like everyone gets tested weekly for the next year) to try and isolate pockets of infection and flatten that curve. At that point we can go back to normal*.

* new normal, different from old normal

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

sticksy posted:

Not to mention those in low-margin industries and VC-funded startups (lol) have been operating if not completely unsustainably, with very little margin for error.
I don't think you can make sweeping statements about that. I work in a low-margin manufacturing industry with relatively inelastic demand and price, due to governments being the primary customer. Declining raw material pricing makes us much more profitable.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

I don't think you can make sweeping statements about that. I work in a low-margin manufacturing industry with relatively inelastic demand and price, due to governments being the primary customer. Declining raw material pricing makes us much more profitable.

This is a zero sum game so yes, you can. For every company like yours there's seven or eight others that are experiencing the opposite effects.

What it leads to is companies like yours getting swallowed up by the dwindling pool of mega-companies with increasingly larger portions of liquid capital.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Definitely not about resumes. Not even about hiring. Please keep our resume thread clean

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Definitely not about resumes. Not even about hiring. Please keep our resume thread clean

I disagree. The state of hiring is directly impacted by what's being discussed. It's important for people visiting the thread because setting expectations is a fundamentally important part of job seeking. Resumes do that, but someone coming here for resume feedback needs to know the absolute abysmal state of hiring right now and why.

As far as the specific tone of discussion, no, it's not germane to the purpose of the thread though, I agree with that much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was on a 2 hour conference call Thursday about problems with our i9 access for Human Resources. It’s important since it risks missing federally mandated compliance for new employee identification, but I couldn’t help think “who the gently caress is even hiring and using the i9 system right now?” I guess we are.

:shrug:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HiroProtagonist posted:

I disagree. The state of hiring is directly impacted by what's being discussed. It's important for people visiting the thread because setting expectations is a fundamentally important part of job seeking. Resumes do that, but someone coming here for resume feedback needs to know the absolute abysmal state of hiring right now and why.

As far as the specific tone of discussion, no, it's not germane to the purpose of the thread though, I agree with that much.
Your posts suck and your rationale is worse. There are plenty of threads for general macroeconomic opinions, but this isn't one of them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I started this mess and I apologize.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Your posts suck and your rationale is worse. There are plenty of threads for general macroeconomic opinions, but this isn't one of them.

Slow down charlie, unless you own the company in question nothing I said had anything to do with you personally.

vvv
hit that ? my good man

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 22, 2020

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Personal or not, your posts still suck. :shrug:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boys boys let's get back to the interviews that aren't happening and the resumes that aren't being reviewed.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I just did a phone screen for a job I applied for about three weeks ago. They said that if I progressed to the next stage there would be a video interview as per social distancing recommendations. I've never done a video interview before.

I have a quiet, home office workspace with a reliable fttp connection. Apart from checking my computer and equipment is tested and working beforehand, is there anything else I should do to prepare?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bee posted:

I just did a phone screen for a job I applied for about three weeks ago. They said that if I progressed to the next stage there would be a video interview as per social distancing recommendations. I've never done a video interview before.

I have a quiet, home office workspace with a reliable fttp connection. Apart from checking my computer and equipment is tested and working beforehand, is there anything else I should do to prepare?

Have a script, doesn't need to be elaborate, in fact it shouldn't.

Just having a few short bullet points in front of you to make sure you're hitting all the points you want to hit is good, and it will look natural and not reading off a cue card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bee posted:

Prior to a temp hiring freeze I hosted a video interview and it was pretty clear from the start that a lot of the typical ritual that goes on with interviews was going to be relaxed.

Make sure your audio is clear (maybe do some quick recordings to make sure), it probably makes sense to have some water nearby, if possible keep animals and kids out of the room (but that may not be possible right now and I think most places will realize that within reason). I had my cat jump up while I was interviewing someone, not much I could control there.

Sometimes when people talk into a mic they tend to pitch up their voice and talk louder, so make sure you have a comfortable timbre when talking. A low profile headset is better than a big RGB KILLSTORMZ headset if you have one, but again I think people will understand if you have what you have. Try to slow down while talking (generally a good tip but easy to go into motormouth mode remote). Look into the camera as much as you can, not just at the screen, looking into the camera will come off as good eye contact. DO NOT HAVE OTHER THINGS ON YOUR SCREEN (unless its part of the interview). If your interviewers are also sheltering in place they may be more interested in chit chat and socializing than usual, so being friendly is probably a bigger plus.

In general though, it'll be basically the same broad strokes as a regular interview.