Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Isaac posted:

The labour to physically put the poo poo on the shelves probably isnt there. Id say lots of shops would have back rooms choking with stock but have a deficit of 50-100 man-hours a day to actually put it out. The worse the deficit gets the less efficient the remaining work is going to be too. Hard as it might be to beleive you cant just hire shelf stockers and have them do useful work, it takes many months before someones competent enough to start being a net-gain to the business, and the supermarkets dont like letting you hire new stockers more than once a year.

That's a good point and probably part of the issue too.

Isaac posted:

Someone was telling me woolies were going to shut stores for a day to catch up which is unheard of. Like ive been in shops where the roof has collapsed and 3 aisles of stock destroyed but it didnt stop them trading they just put some barriers around it and went on as normal.

I remember during the floods here it was only a couple of days to a week tops until stock was basically back to normal. Same when I've been though various natural disasters living in north queensland. This shortage of stock however seems to have no end in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
When large numbers of people are having problems securing basic essentials, it's time for the government to step in to assure ongoing supply. This isn't a problem which can be solved solely by private companies.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

love how informative your logistics posts are Isaac, always interesting to read. thanks.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Alright coronavirus, now its personal

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Visible Stink posted:

Alright coronavirus, now its personal

This is our Pearl Harbour

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Isaac should be on Sunrise as a logistics expert.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How are the brothels dealing with the crisis?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Roaring trade

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Kid's footy just got cancelled for at least 6 weeks. This poo poo's getting real now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Australians should return home from overseas due to coronavirus as countries issue travel bans, DFAT says

Updated 9 minutes ago

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued advice recommending Australians abroad who wish to return home do so as soon as possible via commercial flights.

The recommendation comes after the Federal Government last week urged Australians to consider whether overseas travel was necessary regardless of the destination.

DFAT is warning Australian travellers that they may not be able to return home at a later stage with more countries closing their borders due to the rapid spread of coronavirus.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that anyone coming into Australia would be subject to a 14-day self-isolation period.

"As more countries close their borders or introduce travel restrictions, overseas travel is becoming more complex and difficult," the DFAT advice read.

"You may not be able to return to Australia when you had planned to.

"Consider whether you have access to health care and support systems if you get sick while overseas. If you decide to return to Australia, do so as soon as possible."

More to come.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/coronavirus-all-australians-should-return-home-from-overseas/12065050

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Might be some good deals at the knockie

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Might not even have to bring damaz to access the secret menu

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Isaac posted:

The labour to physically put the poo poo on the shelves probably isnt there. Id say lots of shops would have back rooms choking with stock but have a deficit of 50-100 man-hours a day to actually put it out. The worse the deficit gets the less efficient the remaining work is going to be too. Hard as it might be to beleive you cant just hire shelf stockers and have them do useful work, it takes many months before someones competent enough to start being a net-gain to the business, and the supermarkets dont like letting you hire new stockers more than once a year.

Someone was telling me woolies were going to shut stores for a day to catch up which is unheard of. Like ive been in shops where the roof has collapsed and 3 aisles of stock destroyed but it didnt stop them trading they just put some barriers around it and went on as normal.
Aldi announced today that they've temporarily shortened their opening hours nationwide, from 8:30am-8pm to 9:30am-7pm, just so that their staff can catch up on shelf-stocking, store-cleaning and getting stuff on and off of trucks.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
If they run out of pumpkins I’m willing to trade a couple of qld blues for scrap metal or old Marty Robbins luau records (any condition)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dad just managed to get a flight home by being on standby for like half the day.

poo poo's hosed, tried to get him some basic necessities but there's no bread or eggs atm at Woolies or Coles :laffo:

Can't wait to see what's not available tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKe8jze56Vg

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm interested to see how my shop goes tomorrow. Basically planning a minimal shop and the Indian grocers near my Mrs place are gonna cop a hiding from me on dried legumes, beans, pulses,soy protein and rice. Probably flour too. And curry spice mixes, and the only thing I'm gonna try stock up on is tinned stuff like chopped tomato, tomato paste, other similar things.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I went to a small wanky supermarket today to buy some mutti but they wanted $4.50 per tin so I had to go with a butter sauce for the pasta instead. Very inconvenient.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Spams sold out

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don’t know which one of those two posts to be more trolled by

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Community hour (ie old folks only shopping time) is going well at Woolworths.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2020/03/17/supermarkets-open-early-elderly/

"Supermarket tension has reached crisis point as a Woolworths supermarket staffer was stabbed and dozens of angry, elderly shoppers left empty-handed during a dedicated “community hour”."

On the plus side, Coles is hiring more shelf stockers apparently among other things so Isaac might be onto something there.

Severing fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 17, 2020

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Severing posted:

Community hour (ie old folks only shopping time) is going well at Woolworths.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2020/03/17/supermarkets-open-early-elderly/

"Supermarket tension has reached crisis point as a Woolworths supermarket staffer was stabbed and dozens of angry, elderly shoppers left empty-handed during a dedicated “community hour”."

The home delivery to the vulnerable thing is a cluster gently caress, too. No-one knows how to access it. Coles is telling people who have to self-isolate to get delivery but there is no information on their website about how to place an order.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
A friend of mine lives in a regional town and they now have buses of people turning up from the city and stripping the shelves.

We need the ADF to be handling food supply logistics yesterday.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

have to head back to work today, first time leaving the house since friday. wish a shutdown would be called already so i can go into hiding. if i die to this poo poo I'll be so pissed.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Lolie posted:

A friend of mine lives in a regional town and they now have buses of people turning up from the city and stripping the shelves.

We need the ADF to be handling food supply logistics yesterday.

Pretty sure that’s what happened in Bathurst yesterday. Even at its worst shelves were well stocked except for bog roll and sanitizer.

Yesterday everything just vanished.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah Colac was slammed by people from Geelong yesterday. Ballan from both Ballarat and Melton.

And the two Afghan and one Indian supermarket near my work in Sunshine are still super well stocked, outside of bog roll obviously.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*squints at packet with Arabic writing and a picture of rice on it*

“Sharon I have no idea what any of this poo poo is, let’s drive an hour to find some 2 min noodles”

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Buying two ounces of weed in case the city is put into lockdown quarantine mode

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I just filled every prescription I possibly could. Sooner or later the government is going to have to relax PBS rules temporarily but they're taking their time about it.

My butcher still has plenty of meat but as the supermarkets keep running out I expect there'll be a domino effect. The little IGA down the road had hardly any meat on their shelves and nobody usually buys meat there.

I'm trying to psych myself up to spend the afternoon trying to ring Coles to find out how I can access home delivery.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm going to attempt shopping this arvo subject to my pay going in, but I did hear that Coles and Woolies are putting in to place a temporary item limit.

Might put a dampener on stocking up on tinned tomatoes even if I'm just trying to make up a batch of ragu to freeze

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if you're gonna shop, you better be ready to fight

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I grew up in bundy I was born in a town of deadshits who throw a punch at a mild inconvenience

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Buying two ounces of weed in case the city is put into lockdown quarantine mode

Doing quick maths .. trying to work out how much to get to make it through till August :(

Otherwise only things we are low on now is meat, other food. And there’s no stocked shelves anywhere close by just hoping the online options work out before the end of the week or the cat will get pretty drat hungry :(

Got most of our meds yesterday but the higher schedule stuff is still not allowed to be dispensed in any amount over a months supply; they need to relax this one a bit for the doctors, pharmacist and patients sakes all

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Dad just managed to get a flight home by being on standby for like half the day.

poo poo's hosed, tried to get him some basic necessities but there's no bread or eggs atm at Woolies or Coles :laffo:

Can't wait to see what's not available tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKe8jze56Vg

I just queued up at Woolies in the checkout for 20 mins to purchase 3 litres of Milk.

No meat except expensive poo poo in the Deli.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

stirlo posted:

Got most of our meds yesterday but the higher schedule stuff is still not allowed to be dispensed in any amount over a months supply; they need to relax this one a bit for the doctors, pharmacist and patients sakes all

We've already had a nearby medical centre close. It's only a matter of time before more doctor's surgeries have to close as well as small pharmacies. I take 2 medications on the DD list. The max quantity for 1 is a week's supply and for the other it is 2 week's supply, so I need to see my GP at least weekly. If he has to close his surgery, I'm screwed.

In other news, Western Sydney Health District is finally going to limit visitor numbers in its hospitals - should have been done weeks ago. When I was in hospital there were a ton of people having large groups of visitors in shared rooms and that was in the oncology ward where everyone is at risk.

Coles is going to put a limit on milk, which is just going to create another artificial shortage and even more panic buying and hoarding.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 18, 2020

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

gently caress you Jestery.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Congrats on being part of the problem, I guess.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXvithslxLg

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

jestery i expected more from you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

It's not my pantry, it's the local indian grocer

Panic buyers are acting on kneejerk tribal patterns and not considering the possibility of a non-caucasian store

Ergo, they are being dumb even by their own logic

Double edit: I don't have a car, I couldn't.vollect that amount of rice if I wanted too

Jestery fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 18, 2020