Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

my company is profiting from the crisis

I swear if chemtrails were real we’d have that contract

We’d absolutely have that contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
aaaaaaaaaaand that's curtains for Norwegian.

quote:

OSLO, March 16 (Reuters) - Norwegian Air will cancel 85% of its flights and temporarily lay off 7,300 employees amid the growing coronavirus crisis that has halted demand for air travel, the carrier said on Monday.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Anybody here at a 141 school that allows for teaching of ground schools via online methods such as online lectures, video chats, etc?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Looks like AA is offering 3 voluntary LOA programs, something along the lines of:

-Early retirement package for those at 62+

-55hr paid non-flight lines for 1-6 months with benefits

-12mo unpaid leave with benefits and accrued length-of-service

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I heard that AA is giving full employment to their trainees so that they have a secure job. If true, very classy, unlike United who pulled the rug from under their feet.

Also I just realized that I made the thread title, now I’ll have to remember Martha King’s bush (or what my subconscious believes is her bush) every time I look at my forum bookmarks

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah that’s really cool. I hope blue streak can pull something decent if things get bad. I have a friend who left a corporate shitshow to go there and he’s in training as we speak.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Delta basically said those who gave their two weeks would have their classes as scheduled, those beyond would remain in the pool for 18 months.
AA said yeah we won't start your class on the day of but that will still be your date of hire.
United last minute pulled the rug out from their would-be newest employees.

How embarassing. What a really lovely move from UA.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I for one am shocked UA would do something lovely.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

I for one am shocked UA would do something lovely.

I for one am shocked that AA outclassed UA here.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

I for one am shocked that AA outclassed UA here.

:hmmyes:

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

The Slaughter posted:

https://hub.united.com/2020-03-15-a-message-from-oscar-munoz-and-scott-kirby-2645495847.html

I'm hosed, you're hosed, we're all hosed.

(new thread title suggestion?)

On the plus side, I greased a -9ER landing in DEN today, and we got to the gate 25 early, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. I was :41 min short of being able to complete IOE and call that leg a line check, sadly.

50% capacity cuts and still have 20-30%LF holy poo poo.....

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My trip was supposed to be over Wednesday but I’ve been extended through Friday now to do an HNL turn. My chances of getting stranded somewhere when everything gets eventually gets locked down keeps going up. :smith:

I just want to go home :qq:

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

aaaaaaaaaaand that's curtains for Norwegian.

Yep I'm one of the 7300, along with a lot of my friends. Thinking about getting a taxi licence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
School isn't closed yet but everyone's expecting it either by mid-week or maybe early next week, so that's not ideal.

However, what is ideal is: my candidate finished his flight test today and he passed. I have all the requirements to upgrade to class 3 now, I'm no longer a weak babby instructor in need of constant supervision!

(Technically I still have to get supervision until the upgrade is signed off by Transport Canada, and god only knows how long that will take with everything being disrupted by the plague)

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

PT6A posted:

School isn't closed yet but everyone's expecting it either by mid-week or maybe early next week, so that's not ideal.

However, what is ideal is: my candidate finished his flight test today and he passed. I have all the requirements to upgrade to class 3 now, I'm no longer a weak babby instructor in need of constant supervision!

(Technically I still have to get supervision until the upgrade is signed off by Transport Canada, and god only knows how long that will take with everything being disrupted by the plague)

:toot:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Yep I'm one of the 7300, along with a lot of my friends. Thinking about getting a taxi licence.

Sorry bud, I really enjoyed my Europe to West Coast flights with y'all. :smith:

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Thanks, I suppose it's not a done deal yet but I'm not hopeful. Pity, there's a lot that's good about the company, I like the guys I fly with the culture among the crew is good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I remain somewhat optimistic that this hits like a forest fire: bad for a time, but a bunch of new poo poo grows in the newly cleared area.

There's gonna be a lot of people motivated to get back to normal life once this thing passes or becomes endemic.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Navy is still flying, but all leave and travel is canceled. No leaving the county were located in. No leaving the FBO during fuel stops. I give it a few days before some form of the establishment that supports us (supply contractor, maintenance contractor) packs it up. The majority of the contractors, like most Floridians, are in there 50s, fat, and smoke so uh yeah not the kind of people you want congregating.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
My ATC training is suspended for a month. At least we're getting paid. A buddy of mine recently left WS and was hired at AC and they've outright canceled his training, so he's out of a job for a while.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

It's not 9/11 people will fly again once it's over, things will improve at some point. My wife is an intensive care doctor so at least she's not going to be out of work soon ha ha.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My flight instructor is self-isolating. Interesting times to live in, I guess.

Stay safe, pilot goons. Solidarity with those laid off :(

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So when is the CDC going to realize that several hundred people crammed into the back of an airplane is basically a coronavirus factory and shut us all the way down? There isn't exactly any way to "social distance" yourself when you're strapped into the middle seat of a 737.

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

It's not 9/11 people will fly again once it's over, things will improve at some point. My wife is an intensive care doctor so at least she's not going to be out of work soon ha ha.

My big concern isn't the virus, it's the economy. We've been building an economic bubble for a few years now and coronavirus has popped it. With the economy being down and potentially millions of people unemployed for however long quarantine lasts I'm guessing this will be a very week summer travel season. I don't think it'll be as bad as 9/11 but I don't think things will return to normal for at least a year.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

KodiakRS posted:

several hundred people crammed into the back of an airplane

There aren't several hundred people crammed on any airplanes right now though :stonkhat:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rincey posted:

There aren't several hundred people crammed on any airplanes right now though :stonkhat:

My experience over the last 72 hours is that loads are down slightly but we have had at least 50 passengers on all our flights with a few being full. Maybe everyone is trying to get back home because they don't want to get stuck on the road unable to travel (how's it going azflyboy?) and we'll see a big dropoff in a few days.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Seems as though the airlines are in general going through the motions of existing schedules with strategic cancellations. This is in preparation for an orderly transition to the schedules with huge capacity cuts next week. Lots of metal getting parked in the desert. Delta has at least a dozen wide bodies heading to the Mojave boneyard today alone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Airlines also aren't going to be helped by the thousands of people screeching for full refunds as opposed to credit.

I mean, I see where those customers are coming from, but sometimes poo poo happens and it doesn't work out exactly the way you want for everyone involved. I have a $1400 credit with KLM, I'm happy with the flexibility they offered in issuing it, and frankly I'd rather they have some money in the bank so there is still a KLM around when I want to go somewhere after this poo poo resolves.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

Anybody here at a 141 school that allows for teaching of ground schools via online methods such as online lectures, video chats, etc?

My school is frantically petitioning the FSDO for a waiver which will allow this due to the extraordinary circumstances because, if not, we have to find a way to run them in person while adhering to social distancing.

Students and instructors have also been given the option to opt out of ground schools were flight labs until this is over.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
My CFI does the job basically full time and is self employed, he has some other side flying work sometimes but essentially no instruction given = no paycheck. I feel terrible for him, people still seem to be flying so far but the virus in the short term and the economic hit taking a bite out of students disposable income long term is going to be rough.

I have one lesson left on the schedule in March, really not sure what to do...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want to be out flying and I'm literally done with all the required stuff for the check ride except the long cross-country and the check ride prep

but my university is completely melting down and all my classes are hosed and they've ordered the city to shelter in place anyway so :shepface:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Welp my flight school just shut down ops for the foreseeable future, so much for that. :negative:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey if you want a real trip go listen to the KMDW ATIS

https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mount=kmdw_4&icao=kmdw

"Midway Airport control tower update March 17 2227Z. Midway airspace has reverted to class Echo airspace. The tower has been evacuated and is currently closed. Common traffic advisory frequency is 135.2. 1-minute weather is available via phone at 773 884 4424. We are currently unable to provide IFR services on the ground. If need to depart VFR and request IFR services, may received at Chicago TRACON frequency 128.2."

(all the controllers got coronavirus)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh poo poo.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sagebrush posted:

"Midway Airport control tower update March 17 2227Z. Midway airspace has reverted to class Echo airspace. The tower has been evacuated and is currently closed. Common traffic advisory frequency is 135.2. 1-minute weather is available via phone at 773 884 4424. We are currently unable to provide IFR services on the ground. If need to depart VFR and request IFR services, may received at Chicago TRACON frequency 128.2."

:catstare:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Trans States now shuts down April 1st.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

:dogbutton:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I wonder how much trouble WN would get in if they started telling their pilots to depart and land VFR while canceling and picking up IFR out over the lake or under the class B?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So are all these flights going to go out tomorrow on time? https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KMDW/scheduled/airline

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Welp my flight school just shut down ops for the foreseeable future, so much for that. :negative:

Ours is still technically open but it's instructors' and students' discretion and honestly I don't think it's worth it at this point. The difficulty is this, and I could use a second opinion: I think it's stupid to stay open at this point, it's an unnecessary risk and I think we're headed for more restrictions in the next two weeks anyway. However, most instructors are not as lucky as I am to have a second job that can be done from home to pay the bills, and I understand that they basically have to work as long they're able. But if I decide, as I'm told I have the right to do, that it's not a good idea to continue instructional flights with my students, how do you explain to the student that "I actually think flying now would be a poo poo idea, and I'm not going to do it, don't mind the other students/instructors that are still doing it, I guess you picked the short straw being assigned to me?"

And if it turns out to be a non-event, and we have no way of knowing which way it'll break for society itself much less any individual person, how do you explain that "ah well, I guess you had a... month? 2 month? setback in training and you'll have to spend extra money. Tough poo poo."

I understand why the boss is doing things this way rather than just shutting down, but it puts me in a very, very uncomfortable position. I know intellectually that social distancing, including not being jammed in a 172 with a variety of students, is one of the ways we can help defeat this loving poo poo virus and I should do it on that basis alone, but when I don't have explicit support from my employer and the government, it's... difficult. And to add to that, I feel lovely about complaining about that when a bunch of other pilots don't even have the option to work and are in a way more precarious situation than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is it important for those students that they keep flying with you specifically, or would another instructor be able to fill in if you're out for a few weeks? Presumably the instructors that are still flying will have some students choosing to defer for a bit, and hence would have gaps that your students could fit into.

Outlining your concerns and reasons for staying home yourself, while giving them that other instructor as an option if they do really want to keep working on their flying, could be a reasonable alternative.