Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Think it was on soundcloud's side. N/M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
the studio i work(ed) at sorta leaned on cv (sadly or thankfully, not control voltage) as well as a handful of in-the-red months to lay me, their only begotten remote working son, off last week. so in addition to the standard worldwide crisis junk, i have job searching in a nigh-impossible climate to deal with as well.

appropriately, i am turning to the synth corner to sink some sorrows! was super pleased to dial in some decent kinda Hyper Light Drifter sounds with a Deepmind 12 and MS-20 combo, and now i have a little more time to unlock the POWER of MATHS (and actually figure out the Disting). my search for a Valhalla/Z-DSP replacement continues (the Z-VERB might be rad but not a replacement), and i pine for a Mordax Data for eye candy/waveform education. Pod Mod kinda sold me on the Bad Comrade v3, too.

what would YOU add/replace to this lil setup if you wanted ambient drone noise moods? (my modulargrid direct jpgs have never updated for some reason). here's what i've sorta had sights on for near future updates.

also! if anyone is looking for a Microbrute creator’s edition and/or Z-DSP and/or Montreal Count to Five and wants to reduce my anxiety a little this month, i am selling those things on reverb. pm me and let’s make a deal!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

spider wisdom posted:

the studio i work(ed) at sorta leaned on cv (sadly or thankfully, not control voltage) as well as a handful of in-the-red months to lay me, their only begotten remote working son, off last week. so in addition to the standard worldwide crisis junk, i have job searching in a nigh-impossible climate to deal with as well.

appropriately, i am turning to the synth corner to sink some sorrows! was super pleased to dial in some decent kinda Hyper Light Drifter sounds with a Deepmind 12 and MS-20 combo, and now i have a little more time to unlock the POWER of MATHS (and actually figure out the Disting). my search for a Valhalla/Z-DSP replacement continues (the Z-VERB might be rad but not a replacement), and i pine for a Mordax Data for eye candy/waveform education. Pod Mod kinda sold me on the Bad Comrade v3, too.

what would YOU add/replace to this lil setup if you wanted ambient drone noise moods? (my modulargrid direct jpgs have never updated for some reason). here's what i've sorta had sights on for near future updates.

also! if anyone is looking for a Microbrute creator’s edition and/or Z-DSP and/or Montreal Count to Five and wants to reduce my anxiety a little this month, i am selling those things on reverb. pm me and let’s make a deal!

I wouldn’t waste real estate on a system of that size to Data. I’d get a cheap ebay/aliexpress digital oscilloscope instead. It’s much more fiddly to use and there’s usually only a single channel but it costs you only a few bucks.

The 2hp arp seems odd too since you have o_c. Have you tried the hemisphere firmware? There’s the carpeggio app which should roughly cover what Arp does I think... Which reminds me, hemisphere has an oscilloscope app too!

Another filter maybe? I love the Three Sisters and it’s perfect for drones since you can very easily create a very full mix of different sound sources with it if you plug something in each input. Qpas seems really neat too if you want to play around with stereo stuff.

For ambient stuff I’d definitely look into Mimeophon or Morphagene or something else that combines delay with reverb and has possibilities for looping and other time travel tricks. I suppose uBurst can do this somewhat but I personally have found Clouds a little lacking or fiddly to patch when I want to create a huge blanket of sounds from simple input audio.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MATHS started getting useful for me when I stopped using at as an envelope generator and started thinking of ways my signals could be mangled going through it. Slew rate can slow down a gate, which slows down the EOR/EOC, which can be used to trigger the other side, which can also be slowed down. Send your CV and LFO through channels 2 & 3 and see what offset comes from the various outputs. Use it as a brain for hard to control modules or when you need extra knobs/control. Just mess things up, there's no wrong answer.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I thought disting had some great verbs and delays? No?

I think it also does arps also. Edit: It doesn't, someone may have made one tho that you can upload.

Pretty much everything?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 18, 2020

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

j.peeba posted:

I wouldn’t waste real estate on a system of that size to Data. I’d get a cheap ebay/aliexpress digital oscilloscope instead. It’s much more fiddly to use and there’s usually only a single channel but it costs you only a few bucks.

The 2hp arp seems odd too since you have o_c. Have you tried the hemisphere firmware? There’s the carpeggio app which should roughly cover what Arp does I think... Which reminds me, hemisphere has an oscilloscope app too!

Another filter maybe? I love the Three Sisters and it’s perfect for drones since you can very easily create a very full mix of different sound sources with it if you plug something in each input. Qpas seems really neat too if you want to play around with stereo stuff.

For ambient stuff I’d definitely look into Mimeophon or Morphagene or something else that combines delay with reverb and has possibilities for looping and other time travel tricks. I suppose uBurst can do this somewhat but I personally have found Clouds a little lacking or fiddly to patch when I want to create a huge blanket of sounds from simple input audio.

some real good points here. i think i just needed to hear that about Data. that it does some nice things other than oscilloscoping got rooted in my brain, but yeah. i've thought about those cheap prebuilt osc kits; just need to bite the bullet and figure out exactly what rigging that up looks like.

haven't tried hemispheres yet, but with an osc app, it's now today's synth priority. i think i meant to cut the Arp as well, though i keep getting caught up in "well if i had this module dedicated for X, i could use module Y for this other function..." forgetting that less is usually way more.

Three Sisters has been on and off my list, but i popped in back in for now. i had the super nutty SDS Reflex for a while and miss the mangling it could do. the few times i've played with the Morphagene were really positive. agreed about Clouds, too, though it's working well as a set-and-forget general ambiance tool.

EBB posted:

MATHS started getting useful for me when I stopped using at as an envelope generator and started thinking of ways my signals could be mangled going through it. Slew rate can slow down a gate, which slows down the EOR/EOC, which can be used to trigger the other side, which can also be slowed down. Send your CV and LFO through channels 2 & 3 and see what offset comes from the various outputs. Use it as a brain for hard to control modules or when you need extra knobs/control. Just mess things up, there's no wrong answer.

this is the trick i see mentioned constantly too, and i've only now started uncovering what this means. completely opens the module up.

Philthy posted:

I thought disting had some great verbs and delays? No?

I think it also does arps also. Edit: It doesn't, someone may have made one tho that you can upload.

Pretty much everything?

i could honestly see the meme Disting rack working really well. the aforementioned dedicate module X & Y thing has prevented me from taking a deep dive — like why have the Disting JUST on reverb when this thing sounds as dope as it does? just a mental block. i know it's a powerhouse.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bit of drone work today

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/call-ur-broker

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A little house groove, yah?

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/hottie

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Love this

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Davedave24 posted:

I picked up an old MC-808 a couple months ago and have been farting around on it, I guess now is a good time to try and focus on making things I feel good enough about to share, huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOVC6hGJ4CY

j.peeba posted:

I made a modular patch that sounds like 2020 to me.

Generative melodies from Manis Iteritas, Antumbra Knit (tiny Plaits) and ALM MCO and some beats from prok drums. Running stuff through Mimeophon feels like cheating. Everything sounds so juicy. Tangy short comb-like repeats or long washy warm blankets of delayed boops all sound great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYKSGi4tG6I

These are both really drat cool. gonna prepare a boner asap

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

As someone who works in a service industry and will not be paid if my country goes into quarantine, I decided to live track a soundscape evocative of the coming capitalist hellscape using The People's Modular:

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/the-knifemakers-daughter/s-o3qX71bBc78 (new version as per discussion below)

(I just brickwalled it at -6 lemme know if I should do actual mastering on it)

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 19, 2020

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
MULTITRACK IT

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mr. Dick posted:

MULTITRACK IT

🤔

I thought a single track had an appropriate austerity to it but everything does sound better in stereo... would it be boojie to stick a rat or a muff in the loop?

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

field balm posted:

🤔

I thought a single track had an appropriate austerity to it but everything does sound better in stereo... would it be boojie to stick a rat or a muff in the loop?

Distortion is only ever bourgeois in the sense that all allowed cultural artifacts must pass through the filter of bourgeois tastes and values.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mr. Dick posted:

Distortion is only ever bourgeois in the sense that all allowed cultural artifacts must pass through the filter of bourgeois tastes and values.

*nodding in agreement*

I powered The Modular back up and recorded an accompaniment, so here is a new version which gives you an idea of what would be possible if several comrades bonered in unision:

https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/the-knifemakers-daughter/s-o3qX71bBc78

(replacing the link in the original post too)

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 19, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

soundcloud being fucky about links again

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
They cannot suppress the synth voice of the people

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Fixed, just copied the url from the brower instead of the share link

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oh it is wonderful

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Thank you! Originally I had your typical clap but decided I wanted some snaps because I was snapping my own fingers over it and sounded better.

I had to go through a LOT of snaps to find anything like what I wanted. I really need to pick up one of those Tascam samplers but eurorack blackhole eating everything I make.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
oops! wrong thread!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey all, I just discovered Colin Benders has been doing lockdown live streams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r023qzhuoqE

One of the best modular workers I ever heard.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Jonny Nox posted:

This slaps hard.
FOUR metropolis? What a rig

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Jonny Nox posted:

i have no idea what's going on except that it's amazing

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This dude has a lot of sequencers.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oh sweet i love colin

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Are people still doing Endlesss jams? Are those picking up with the quarantine?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwG7DtGBBE

Almost over, but he's pretty amazing honestly. This poo poo is cool as hell.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone recommend a CV to DMX interface?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
So I literally started noodling around with Garageband on my phone the other day and I'm considering picking up a little midi controller to help me goof around with it. What's something I can get for less than $100 that won't be awful?

Or should I just get an OP-1? :v:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Coffee And Pie posted:

So I literally started noodling around with Garageband on my phone the other day and I'm considering picking up a little midi controller to help me goof around with it. What's something I can get for less than $100 that won't be awful?

There are so many options for MIDI controllers. For around $100, I've listed a few to check out but its going to depend on what combination of pads/keys/knobs you are looking for. Here are a couple things I learned after I bought a Launchpad S / Launchkey Mini and realized there were things missing that made a huge difference.

- Pads: Velocity-sensitive pads are a must, especially if you want to use the pads like an instrument. My Launchpad S did not have velocity-sensitive pads and it made playing drum patters and chopping samples a lot more difficult.
- Keys: For $100, it is going to be really hard to find keys that don't feel cheap. The keys on the Launchkey feel pretty cheap and have no action, but some people don't have as much of an issue with this as I do.
- Knobs: I find these to be really helpful for workflow and automation and most controllers will come with some, don't need to worry about much here.
- Portability: Decide beforehand whether you need to be able to move the controller around easily. I thought I wanted the Launchkey so I could take it with me on work trips. But I never ended up using it much (was always too busy) and wished I would have put the money towards a better controller that would stay in my studio.
- Pitch/Modulation Wheels: If you want keys, I highly recommend getting a MIDI keyboard that has a pitch wheel and modulation wheel. It sucks not having these.

I am not too familiar with what works best in Garageband, but here are a couple controllers to check out:

Akai LPD8
https://www.amazon.com/Akai-Professional-USB-MIDI-Controller-Cable/dp/B07K3RNRZ6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=akai+LPD-8&qid=1584894256&sr=8-3

Launchkey Mini - This is a newer version than the one I bought a few years ago, has pitch/mod wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/Novation-Lau...84894331&sr=8-1

Akai MPD218
https://www.amazon.com/Akai-Professional-MPD218-Controller-Software/dp/B0116X17JW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=akai+mpd&qid=1584894501&sr=8-1

Launchpad Mini
https://www.amazon.com/Novation-Lau...f_=sb_s_sparkle

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know if this is a solved problem these days, but my arturia minilab mk I isn't able to present itself as a generic midi controller (ie requires a driver) and is thus useless with iOS. So look out for that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Coffee And Pie posted:

The sub-100 Akai and Arturia and Korg stuff is good. Even the budget Alesis stuff works for the money. Spend a bit more than $100 ($119) and get a Keystep and you’ll be like 99% of synthgoons/tubers.

Don’t get an OP-1 in 2020, get an iPad first if you want a portable doodle pad. I’ve been saying that for years but in 2020 I’d say it’s really become true. HAINBACH dropped his OP-1 for an iPad

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

He said it's because the power switch is unreliable for road use.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I just got a Keystep in part based on recommendations here, and it seems great. The quality feels good (particularly the keys for being a smaller format), and it's a nicely compact footprint on my desk.

Works like a charm right of the box in Ableton, although I'm presently having a hell of time figuring out how to get Komplete Kontrol to detect it. I have an old Alesis VI49 sitting around here, and that just worked without any trouble in Kontrol when I tried it last week. But today, after downloading Analog Dreams, I can't for the life of me get the program to detect my Keystep. I see it there in the MIDI options, but nothing is happening when I play it.

Is there anything basic that I'm foolishly missing about getting this NI software to recognize my Keystep? Since it works in Ableton I'm sure the hardware is fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Check if the Keystep is sending on the same MIDI channel the software is set to receive on. For me that's usually the source of why things that should work don't.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adventures in isolation: trying to more effectively use this gear. Any advice on effective use of phasers? I built the MFOS one a while back and it's tricky to use. Most of the time the signal comes out just sounding like it was LFO-modulated. Once in a while if I get it dialed in well in tandem with a filter it will give me something interesting like formant sounds. It's the only module I haven't found a consistent use or place for.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Thanks for the responses--I'm gonna do some more research but right now I'm between the Launchkey Mini and the Keystep.

Kinda kicking myself for getting rid of my iPad a while back, an iPhone 7 is fine but the tiny screen definitely limits me.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Check if the Keystep is sending on the same MIDI channel the software is set to receive on. For me that's usually the source of why things that should work don't.

Thanks. This seemed to do the trick and now I can play the Keystep in Komplete Kontrol. The Keystep Arp does weird things there though. I guess better to use the software arp.

Now to figure out about using Analog Dreams and the Komplete Start stuff in Ableton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

never ever stop recording

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/coda