Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Grouchio posted:

Bill and Hilary Clinton :colbert:
Not a fan of Bill, but I disagree. Also disagree on Hillary actually, but honestly they're all so lovely that it seems pointless trying to argue which one is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1240108864604962816

Republicans are gonna co-opt single-payer and own this country for the next 30 years, aren't they?

Can we institute clock-drawing tests for voting?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Grouchio posted:

NEWMAN WINS!
Finally some loving good news on this Hellworld.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

gandlethorpe posted:

Who is even the highest up, longest-serving, under-45 person in politics with decent progressive cred? Two-term rep Ro Khanna?

Ro Khanna ran as a centrist pro-tech guy. He's pulled a Gillibrand and flipped pretty hard to a mostly solid progressive.

The longest serving House rep with progressive cred was Pete Stark... who was primaried out of office and died two months ago.

Chris Murphy and Martin Heinrich are in their 40's with decent progressive cred and more than 10 years of experience. They are both complete unknowns at the national level, though.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The massively old Democratic primary electorate in Illinois looks like they are knocking out two Democratic incumbents (one of whom was one of the most conservative House Dems) in favor of Progressive challengers.

There's some good news for the night and hope for the olds.

Who besides Newman?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

gandlethorpe posted:

Can we institute clock-drawing tests for voting?

Supporting something in a poll doesn't mean that it is your primary issue or even an issue that determines your vote.

Otherwise, the ~70% of the country that supports tougher gun laws would destroy every Republican and a handful of pro-gun Dems in every election.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1240108864604962816

Republicans are gonna co-opt single-payer and own this country for the next 30 years, aren't they?

They would sooner start a civil war than support single payer healthcare. Even after their lord and savior came out in favor of cutting checks to the people, you still have the biggest boot lickers like Graham coming out in opposition to the $1k check that Trump desperately needs for re-election.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Dr Christmas posted:

All the Boomers who turned out for Biden are not online. If Twitter metrics were representative of the population, Bernie would be kicking Biden's rear end.

The "online" Joe Biden fans are very spitefully anti-Bernie. They see him as a spoiler for Trump and actually care about Bernie and his execrable Bros denigrating the Democratic Party.
For what it's worth I heard a lot of old Dems poo poo-talking Bernie at my county convention last year, and I'm pretty sure they weren't extremely online.

There is an echelon of Democrat somewhere above the primary voter but way below what we usually consider "the establishment" that nevertheless strongly identifies with that establishment. And while you will never hear of them they are very active in the party and vote for representatives to the DNC and they are why people like e.g. Tom Perez get elected chair. It's probably more important to turf those fuckers out than it is people like Neera Tanden, although far less glorious. (But also easier.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Concerned Citizen posted:

Who besides Newman?

Foster was losing earlier, but I just checked and he's now up 6 points and projected to win

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

LinYutang posted:

The current progressive bench is extremely weak outside of their Twitter celebrity.
The Democratic bench is extremely weak in the general case, idiot.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Pop quiz: who decides when states hold primary elections and whether or not they should be delayed?

Hint: except in edge cases like the ND firehouse caucuses, it is *not* the DNC.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The Democratic bench is extremely weak in the general case, idiot.

This is correct. They blew their load of big names with Obama, Clinton, Warren, Sanders, and Biden.

But, there's plenty of people (including Sanders in 16) who come out of relative obscurity to a strong primary campaign. Having no clear front-runner 4 years out isn't necessarily a huge deal.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Foster was losing earlier, but I just checked and he's now up 6 points and projected to win

nah, foster just won

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I wish Russ Feingold would come back to running for office with a vengeance. He's "only" 67 but has a solid history of not voting for lovely things.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden campaign official didn't say who they were looking at for VP, but a reporter tossed out a bunch of names and these were the ones that they said they would be open to:

quote:

Gretchen Whitmer
Jeanne Shaheen
Tammy Baldwin
Maggie Hassan
Catherine Cortez Masto
Sally Yates
Elizabeth Warren
Stacey Abrams
Kamala Harris
Amy Klobuchar
Val Demings
Michelle Lujan Grisham
Tammy Duckworth

They also said that they would be open to Michelle Obama or Jill Biden, but as a a joke.

Some very dark horse candidates on that list.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 18, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

gandlethorpe posted:

I wish Russ Feingold would come back to running for office with a vengeance. He's "only" 67 but has a solid history of not voting for lovely things.

He did in 2016 and got beaten by Ron Johnson.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

gandlethorpe posted:

He ran behind Hillary in 2016. He is done.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Biden campaign official didn't say who they were looking at for VP, but a reporter tossed out a bunch of names and these were the ones that they said they would be open to:

They also said that they would be open to Michelle Obama or Jill Biden, but as a a joke.

I look forward to him not remembering his running mate's name.

He did in 2016 and got beaten by Ron Johnson.

I'm aware of that and don't like to think about it. I was hoping he could still make a comeback.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

How would Whitmer play in Michigan? Would it be enough to flip it back?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Michelle Lujan Grisham actually looks like a surprisingly good Dark Horse candidate.

Was doing climate activism before it was cool, fought to amend the constitution to get rid of pro-life amendments, got a $12 minimum wage passed in 2014, passed some strong gun bills, expanded Medicaid, is a Hispanic and native American woman.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

Pop quiz: who decides when states hold primary elections and whether or not they should be delayed?

ogmius you know that political entities have more power than explicit hierarchies right

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MJeff posted:

How would Whitmer play in Michigan? Would it be enough to flip it back?

Most recent poll I could find shows that Michigan feels okay about her, but is souring on Trump.

She had a 43/35 Approval/Disapproval about a month and a half ago.

I have no idea how she "plays" in Michigan. She's fairly new to the executive scene. She was a backbencher in the house for a while, but ended up leading the Senate Dems.

She's very liberal on "lunch pail issues" - favors full and free kindergarten and pre-k, cap childcare expenses for families, go fairly hard against pharmaceutical companies, and raise the gas tax to fund transportation projects.

On all the other issues, she's basically "generic Democrat."

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

LinYutang posted:

Seems like Bernie would have better spent his time cultivating a viable 2020 candidate instead of trying to win the primary with 35% support. The current progressive bench is extremely weak outside of their Twitter celebrity.

Who?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

brugroffil posted:

Lol at free elections after four more years of Republican dominance and court supermajorities

Yeah but who cares about congress? lol

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh well. At least we'll probably win in 2024. If we make it to 2024.

If we make it to November because drat corona is busy as poo poo.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Warren fumbling so hard is a total disaster for the left. Who the gently caress are we going to run now?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh well. At least we'll probably win in 2024. If we make it to 2024.

If we make it to November because drat corona is busy as poo poo.

lol who is we? i ain't voting for a death cult

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Warren fumbling so hard is a total disaster for the left. Who the gently caress are we going to run now?

2024: Howard Schultz of Starbucks or Chelsea
2028: An 84 year old John Kerry who has a lot of appeal with the last of the elderly, or, again, Chelsea.
2028: Just Chelsea.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

2024: Howard Schultz of Starbucks or Chelsea
2028: An 84 year old John Kerry who has a lot of appeal with the last of the elderly, or, again, Chelsea.
2028: Just Chelsea.

Two elections in 2028?

Anyway, whoever runs in 2032 is going to be vulnerable to a Malia primary in 2036.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Not a fan of Bill, but I disagree. Also disagree on Hillary actually, but honestly they're all so lovely that it seems pointless trying to argue which one is worse.

Yeah, I'd say both Bill and Hillary are both slightly to the left of Joe Biden, if only because neither complimented segregationists once they were out of high school.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah, I'd say both Bill and Hillary are both slightly to the left of Joe Biden, if only because neither complimented segregationists once they were out of high school.

They had slaves in the governor's mansion, though

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Chris Murphy and Martin Heinrich are in their 40's with decent progressive cred and more than 10 years of experience. They are both complete unknowns at the national level, though.

I realize the question has left you grasping at straws, but even if Murphy is as far left as CT could produce, he's still a third-way supporting senator beholden to the strong finance, insurance, pharma, and military special interests in his state. He's managed to gain a little traction with national recognition due to his gun control stance (was formerly the rep from Sandy Hook's district).

Heinrich's pretty off the radar (aside from his high rating on sexycongress.net) but his past stances against gay marriage, endorsements from the NRA, and his votes for Trump appointees leaves him looking like at best a johhny-come-lately to progressive ideas and as worst an opportunist who supports progressive looking bills when it will help his approval ratings.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

gandlethorpe posted:

Who is even the highest up, longest-serving, under-45 person in politics with decent progressive cred? Two-term rep Ro Khanna?

Probably Ruben Gallego or Brendan Boyle.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm sure someone will pop up between now and 2024. As much as some posters itt talk down about Bernie not having done this right or that right, he's really done a lot to get it into people's heads that things aren't right in this country and I personally think he succeeded so I'm not too worried that we've run out of candidates. I mean, poo poo. Pete did surprisingly well at first and he's a loving nobody goblin.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

..... an actual leftist?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Could always go back to Jill Stein lol

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Vermin Supreme

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Apogee15 posted:

Could always go back to Jill Stein lol

getting jill stein to federal funding levels would drive this forum insane so i'm all for it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ogmius815 posted:

They threatened all the other states left to have their primaries that they'd revoke delegates if they pushed their primaries back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

But, there's plenty of people (including Sanders in 16) who come out of relative obscurity to a strong primary campaign.
Establishment shitheels no one cares about aren't going to burst on to the national scene and run a strong primary or general election campaign, and progressive populists who burst on to the national scene will be gutted the instant they pose a threat to the Dem establishment and capital by proxy. There is no way to square this: we know what's popular, and we know the Democrats will not allow a candidate running on those popular issues to win.

So we're left with, like, loving Joe Kennedy or some poo poo - I dunno.