Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I definitely got passable at mahjong when my grandma gifted us her old packard bell x86 that had win 3.11 on it.

Then we got Civilization and I forgot all about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

falz posted:

Ditto on Alien storm. Was hoping to try Midwest gaming classic but it got cancelled.

I've been debating picking up the JP version of Alien Storm. The box art looks better and I'm pretty sure it's the same rom on both carts, but it's just as expensive usually.

rujasu posted:

Hey! It's the one other person out there who likes this game!

SMS games used to be cheaper than dirt, even CIB, but just like everything else, prices shot up across the board, even for some lousy and/or common stuff. I like Miracle Warriors though, and getting a cartridge with a map in an SMS box for under $20 is a good deal.

:hfive:

Yea, I was looking up some SMS label naming differences and saw someone talking about picking up a Wonder Boy game 15 years ago for like $3bux. Crazy how cheap the SMS stuff used to be. A lot of the games are still reasonable now though, lots of complete games are $15-$20.

Collecting would be so much easier and cheaper if I didn't care about boxes and manuals :smith:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The best deal I've seen that wasn't a "thrift shop didn't bother to check prices" situation was finding NES Kung Fu for $0.25 right before the collecting boom started.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

katkillad2 posted:

Yea, I was looking up some SMS label naming differences and saw someone talking about picking up a Wonder Boy game 15 years ago for like $3bux. Crazy how cheap the SMS stuff used to be. A lot of the games are still reasonable now though, lots of complete games are $15-$20.

Collecting would be so much easier and cheaper if I didn't care about boxes and manuals :smith:

All Sega stuff of all types have gone up a lot in the last.. 3-4 years. It feels like Nintendo people (aka most people) finally decided to explore other systems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For Mahjong when starting out just focus on the standard winning hand of 4 sets of three and a pair. Basically just play hong kong style before you worry about more esoteric. Also if you want to play in real life just buy a deck of Mahjong cards, the tiles are just traditional but a deck is much more portable and easy to use

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Anyone else feel a sense of dread when you bid on an eBay auction you want, just knowing that after a week of being on top you’ll probably be outbid by someone in the last 15 seconds?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Anyone else feel a sense of dread when you bid on an eBay auction you want, just knowing that after a week of being on top you’ll probably be outbid by someone in the last 15 seconds?

So eBay is the same as it was in 1998? I definitely lost out on an Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen bid in high school and no I'm no longer bitter over it.

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Put an item you intend to bid on watch and don't bid on it with more than 30 seconds to go. Otherwise you just end up jacking up the price on yourself sadly. You have to become part of the problem to get what you want on E-Bay in my experience.

That's what I told myself when I ended up with all 59 7800 games a few years back.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure eBay asks what your max bid is and will do the whole back and forth shuffle for you. If you bid $50 and say your max is $65 and someone bids $55 with 3 seconds left, eBay will just outbid a dollar more.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

A few classic PC games free at GOG today

https://www.gog.com/partner/stay_at_home?pp=d051bf1ddf82f79c6af34f7f4e59707f081296ad

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 18, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
These games are always free, they're just being highlighted due to the current situation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VladimirLeninpest posted:

The optimal strategy on eBay really is to put in your actual max bid and then let it go. If you get into bidding wars, you'll overpay. If you try to snipe, you'll overpay.

Another strategy is to bid on things that nobody else wants. :v:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What should I play forst

Policenaits
Snatcher
Shining Force 3

Help needed thanks

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Empress Brosephine posted:

What should I play forst

Policenaits
Snatcher
Shining Force 3

Help needed thanks

Snatcher

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm pretty sure eBay asks what your max bid is and will do the whole back and forth shuffle for you. If you bid $50 and say your max is $65 and someone bids $55 with 3 seconds left, eBay will just outbid a dollar more.

You do put in your max bid, but not until 15 seconds left so the other bidders don't have a chance to reconsider their maxes

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

If you try to snipe, you'll overpay.
Not unless you snipe higher than your "max bid".

Nothing good comes from bidding early on eBay. At best everyone bids their max from the get go, which is no different then sniping. At worse you overpay from people who keep jacking up their "max bid" or who do drive-by bids on multiples of the same item.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LODGE NORTH posted:

I remember when I first used eBay back in 1997 or so, I was so confused when I would bid on something and it would say "you've been outbid" as soon as I entered my amount. I was like "there's no way in hell there's someone else right this second bidding on this Jumping Flash disc-only auction". I wasn't a very bright high-schooler.

I also miss the wild west days of people selling PS1 modchips, free with $20 pencil.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who sells a ton on eBay, 99% of my auctions go like this (bear in mind I sell used electronics, so I start at $0.99 and let the market decide the value):

1) Day 1 through day 6.75, one or two bids trickle in from people tossing cheap bids in hopes that I have it mis-listed and it might fly under the radar for cheap. This sometimes happens and has netted people pretty sweet stuff for cheap. There are definitely a group of people who play eBay like penny stocks and they do win sometimes, but it’s a numbers game. You need to have a ton of $0.99 bids out there to get one win.

2) Day 6.75 through 6.99999999. A flurry of bids as everyone sets their max and eBay pits them against each other to determine the Auction Highlander.

3) 6.99999999 through 7. One or two snipes that come in with literally under 5 seconds left.

It seems like you can’t win against snipers, but you can. You just have to set your max within the last few hours and beat their max. Snipers are annoying but they aren’t crazy. They aren’t going to snipe a $200 max on a $30 item.

The best way to win auctions is to sort by “ending soonest” and bid that way. It gets you some immediate satisfaction and lets you move on quickly from bids you lose to the next one, rather than waiting 7 days to find you got outbid in the flurry or by a sniper (which you will).

This all of course goes out the window if what you want is rare and there aren’t many on eBay

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 18, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i miss being able to get deals because something was spelled wrong in the title or when people would be limited to one picture without paying extra and the one picture they had was crap so nobody else would buy it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

i miss being able to get deals because something was spelled wrong in the title or when people would be limited to one picture without paying extra and the one picture they had was crap so nobody else would buy it.

haha yeah I used to search Nintedo all the time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My approach to Ebay is just set my max as whatever the nearest comparable buy it now price is since everyone just puts stuff up as buy it now these days. I either get thing for cheaper than the buy it now listings or I just go buy one of those.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t overlook buy it now’s with a “or best offer” on them.

I was hunting for a GTX 1080ti, which at the time were about $450 used on eBay. I found a buy it now or best offer for one listed as not working for like $375, asked the seller some questions and based on his answers and some googling, determined that he didn’t have the power supply necessary for that card.

I threw him a $150 offer on it and he took it

Got it in my PC, with a power supply rated for it, and it works perfect to this day :woop:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As someone who sells a ton on eBay, 99% of my auctions go like this (bear in mind I sell used electronics, so I start at $0.99 and let the market decide the value):

1) Day 1 through day 6.75, one or two bids trickle in from people tossing cheap bids in hopes that I have it mis-listed and it might fly under the radar for cheap. This sometimes happens and has netted people pretty sweet stuff for cheap. There are definitely a group of people who play eBay like penny stocks and they do win sometimes, but it’s a numbers game. You need to have a ton of $0.99 bids out there to get one win.

2) Day 6.75 through 6.99999999. A flurry of bids as everyone sets their max and eBay pits them against each other to determine the Auction Highlander.

3) 6.99999999 through 7. One or two snipes that come in with literally under 5 seconds left.

It seems like you can’t win against snipers, but you can. You just have to set your max within the last few hours and beat their max. Snipers are annoying but they aren’t crazy. They aren’t going to snipe a $200 max on a $30 item.

The best way to win auctions is to sort by “ending soonest” and bid that way. It gets you some immediate satisfaction and lets you move on quickly from bids you lose to the next one, rather than waiting 7 days to find you got outbid in the flurry or by a sniper (which you will).

This all of course goes out the window if what you want is rare and there aren’t many on eBay
Just commenting that this is 100% correct. If you want to get a 'deal', use a snipe app to bid your max bid of what you think a 'deal' is, and do that within the last 5-10 seconds. If you didn't get it, then don't be too hurt because you bid your max.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don’t overlook buy it now’s with a “or best offer” on them.
:agreed:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I pretty much stick to Buy it Nows and the like unless I can't get it another way because I'd rather avoid the hassle.

That said, there was a hilarious case with the one copy of a book being listed always being progressively more expensive until I checked and found it was just the same seller repeatedly relisting it after it failed to sell. I just gave them a much lower offer (50%) and they took it instantly.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Hello Goons it’s me again with yet more NES issues, so my nes stopped reading games unless the game was pinned in the fully down position I had to wedge a screw between the cart and the console to keep it there, so I installed an admittedly cheap eBay 72 pin connector and the fucker won’t work at all... is there a recommended 72 pin on sale? Should I go for a Blinking light win???

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly my biggest problem with EBay is the dishonest bullshit a lot of people do where they'll list something for what seems like a decent price but then you look at the shipping and they're charging some absolutely ridiculous amount for it

EBay really should restrict what people can charge for Shipping, at least if it's within the continental United States

falz
Jan 29, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with EBay is the dishonest bullshit a lot of people do where they'll list something for what seems like a decent price but then you look at the shipping and they're charging some absolutely ridiculous amount for it

EBay really should restrict what people can charge for Shipping, at least if it's within the continental United States
Sort by price + shipping, ignore all of these things.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

That TV up top is definitely not a PVM, right? The picture is too grainy for me to get a lot of details, but from the scooped back I assume it's not.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm number 3. The only way to win is buy it nows or snipes when it's the poo poo I want, which is to say at least semi-desirable to some fuckin weeb nerd that isn't me, a weeb nerd.

Bidding early is for suckers. Not that it's impossible to win, but number 3 will always hang over your head.

When I was more seriously trying to bid on a few things I used a chrome extension for it.

Agrias120 posted:

That TV up top is definitely not a PVM, right? The picture is too grainy for me to get a lot of details, but from the scooped back I assume it's not.

lmao no it is not

i guess there's some chance it's an ancient model but i swear i see woodgrain on it

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Caitlin posted:

lmao no it is not

i guess there's some chance it's an ancient model but i swear i see woodgrain on it

I thought it was just shadowing, but you're right, those sides really do look woodgrain! It's at an estate auction and the price was too good to not at least try to suss out if it might be the salvageable thing in that pile, though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Generally I just put in my max bid, but I agree sniping the last 5 seconds is the best option. Bidding on Ebay is stupid, I see it happen pretty often where people get into dumb bid wars and pay more for something of similar condition that they could have bought less from a buy it now listing.

Since we are Ebay complaining, here's another thing I hate.

Take the 5 god damned seconds it takes to fix the position of the cover art and push it under the protective plastic. Like it's already damaged and no recovering from that, but why would you leave it that way and ship it to someone that way? ( Bonus, this was taken from another example of a listing where this is priced higher than better conditioned available copies. )

drrockso20 posted:

This doesn't really bother me, but it's also really stupid. They aren't saving any money by selling an item for .99 cents with $20 dollar shipping. So at best, it's deceptive.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2020

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Saw a facebook post for a kv-36fv310 crt and I jumped on that poo poo! Hoping to grab it sunday, but you never really know with these facebook marketplace deals...

Wish me luck. It's no BVM but I'd argue it's real tip top consumer grade.

They also have a Mitsubishi MegaView 29 AM-2752A I'm going to try to get as well. Does anyone have more experience with these older monitors?

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 19, 2020

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Presentation monitors are unicorns. Grab that mitsubishi monitor for sure.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

That Mitsubishi sounds way more interesting than the consumer one to me.

It says it does 480p too, which could be interested as long as there's no added lag like consumer HD Carts.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Only problem is it's a bit older at a 92 manufacture date. It would be free, though, so something has to be wrong with it, right?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Ask? Also that's like 500lbs of monitors.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kazvall posted:

Saw a facebook post for a kv-36fv310 crt and I jumped on that poo poo! Hoping to grab it sunday, but you never really know with these facebook marketplace deals...

Wish me luck. It's no BVM but I'd argue it's real tip top consumer grade.

They also have a Mitsubishi MegaView 29 AM-2752A I'm going to try to get as well. Does anyone have more experience with these older monitors?

IIRC the kv-36fv310 is a high def CRT and retro games did not look good on it when I had one. 480p stuff looked incredible, though (Dreamcast, Wii)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

IIRC the kv-36fv310 is a high def CRT and retro games did not look good on it when I had one. 480p stuff looked incredible, though (Dreamcast, Wii)

It is not an HD set, theres a model that looks just like it with the same bezel but has a microsd card slot which you might be thinking of.

This one has a "High Voltage Regulator — Provides a significant improvement to picture quality by increasing the brightness and focus."

falz posted:

Ask? Also that's like 500lbs of monitors.

Hoping they'll both fit in the jeep liberty. Going to bring a handtruck and strapping, etc. Oh and 1 single friend.

The fv310 is just about 225 pounds, hoping the 29 inch is a little lighter.

Update: The Mitsubishi won't power on, but its free and something I could perhaps fix with my set up.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 19, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah if it's not an HD set go for it

I remember hooking up my OG xbox to one of those Mitsubishi "gigantic computer monitor CRTs" and those definitely were hi-res and I did not like the way games looked on it (using emulators on the Xbox). It had all the pixels of an LCD with all of the CRT flaws.

would definitely be awesome for other applications but not really for retro games in my opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

And now I'm going down the rabbit hole of RGB/Scart port modding the fv310. Please, help me!