Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really like Winslow's design and direction in general. As the phantom, his mask is very birdlike, and his movements when composing are reminiscent of birds as well, like turning his head to the side to see his sheet music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Seamless

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^lol, thanks^^^

BioEnchanted posted:

I really like Winslow's design and direction in general. As the phantom, his mask is very birdlike, and his movements when composing are reminiscent of birds as well, like turning his head to the side to see his sheet music.

There's birds everywhere. Winslow's mask is an owl, the villain is Swan and the logo is a dead bird. The female lead is Phoenix

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

- The ending is still a little confusing to me. So, I guess destroying the Swan/Devil video breaks the contract and makes him mortal and that, in turn, makes Winslow mortal and opens up the knife wound and Swan then starts melting? Is that right?

It's a Dorian Gray riff.

I listen to the soundtrack almost weekly. It whips. The Phantom's Theme is so good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a Dorian Gray riff.

I listen to the soundtrack almost weekly. It whips. The Phantom's Theme is so good.

I always kind of hate when people misunderstand Dorian Grey. As far as I recall his death isn't actually magical, the only magic is the portrait taking on his sins (which actually happens by accident, he's just kidding around when he makes the wish). His actual fate is that when he sees how bad his portrait has become after years of debauchery, his shame overtakes him, he slashes the painting to pieces then kills himself. His friends come in to see the remains of the portrait, which is now as beautiful as it was when painted, and a dead old man with severe deformities who they don't recognise (because Grey's evils rendered him unrecognisable), having no idea when Dorian has gone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I always kind of hate when people misunderstand Dorian Grey. As far as I recall his death isn't actually magical, the only magic is the portrait taking on his sins (which actually happens by accident, he's just kidding around when he makes the wish). His actual fate is that when he sees how bad his portrait has become after years of debauchery, his shame overtakes him, he slashes the painting to pieces then kills himself. His friends come in to see the remains of the portrait, which is now as beautiful as it was when painted, and a dead old man with severe deformities who they don't recognise (because Grey's evils rendered him unrecognisable), having no idea when Dorian has gone.

The servants identify him by his rings

E: to also talk about other similarities, the video is Swans contract but photos of Swan age like Dorians portrait. Swan leads a hedonistic lifestyle like Dorian (tho Dorian eventually has a change of heart only to find the picture is even uglier because his motivations aren't pure).

Overall different themes but playing with the same concept.

MacheteZombie has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Mar 13, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd forgotten about that part, thanks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

It's a Dorian Gray riff.

Right...I'm not up on the source material though. I'll go Google it but, in a nutshell, did I have it basically right? Swan HAS to view the tape every day or he becomes mortal so Winslow destroys it and everything breaks, including Winslow's contract? Then crowd starts stabbing Swan too since the lines between performance and real violence have been crossed over?

Because that ending is batshit.

MacheteZombie posted:

Same.

How The Rocky Horror Picture Show became the cult classic standard for this type of crazy midnight drive in movie and Phantom is mostly unknown and forgotten is nuts to me. RHPS is borderline unwatchable without the crowd/jokes experience. Phantom has a better story, better music better direction and never gets boring.

I want to make a Phantom mask so bad for Halloween and am pretty good at sculpting and poo poo but have never done injection molding and what have you. I kind of want to figure it out because replicas go for about $250 up to like $800 on ebay. Plus a Phantom costume would own and my kid loves it.

Thinking about starting a thread since more people on this board seem to have seen it than most. I found this awesome POTP website that I've been devouring.

https://www.swanarchives.org/

Sorry for the POTP derail. I'll leave it alone now.

BUt everyone seriously go watch it

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Mar 13, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Because Rocky Horror is super, ultra, mega, openly, wonderfully gay at a time when that poo poo was still literally illegal in most places and so that subculture latched onto it and developed it into a cult thing that eventually got so big that even boring straight people got into it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My dad showed me and my brother Phantom of the Paradise after we showed him Repo: A Genetic Opera. He basically said that Paradise was his Repo, in that it was a fun, over the top cult musical that he was into when he was young.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Imagined posted:

Because Rocky Horror is super, ultra, mega, openly, wonderfully gay at a time when that poo poo was still literally illegal in most places and so that subculture latched onto it and developed it into a cult thing that eventually got so big that even boring straight people got into it.

Also it's astounding.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It has a few very good songs and visuals even if it never quite comes together.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Right...I'm not up on the source material though. I'll go Google it but, in a nutshell, did I have it basically right? Swan HAS to view the tape every day or he becomes mortal so Winslow destroys it and everything breaks, including Winslow's contract? Then crowd starts stabbing Swan too since the lines between performance and real violence have been crossed over?

Because that ending is batshit.

Like BioEnchanted said Dorians deal isn't a magical bargain, and iirc he doesn't have to look at the picture but becomes obsessed with it after he causes his gf to commit suicide.

Swan's deal with the devil is a faustian influence, and you're right that the movie doesn't explain exactly how Winslow's and Phoenix's contracts are tied to Swan's but Pheonix's contract says until death do us part which might be standard language in a devil contract lol.

And you're right on the last bit. Just like Beef's death the crowd thinks it's part of theatrics.

MacheteZombie has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Mar 14, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Does Phantom have a moment where a blond man is attacked in his bathtub? Years upon years ago, I caught a moment like that on TV, and I thought it was that movie, but I was never sure.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Does Phantom have a moment where a blond man is attacked in his bathtub? Years upon years ago, I caught a moment like that on TV, and I thought it was that movie, but I was never sure.

There's a shower scene lifted from Psycho and a deal with the devil with Paul Williams in a bathtub so you might be conflating those scenes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I really like that scene with Paul Williams. How he plays both characters really works for me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In The Foreigner, Jackie Chan asks the handsome young Irish dude why he fought for the British despite being a catholic. Guy answers "I fought for the company"

but why would he join the army of the colonizers tho?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

In The Foreigner, Jackie Chan asks the handsome young Irish dude why he fought for the British despite being a catholic. Guy answers "I fought for the company"

but why would he join the army of the colonizers tho?

There were a lot of irritating things about this movie.

Jackie's daughter, who sets the whole thing off by getting Collateral Damage'd 3 minutes into the movie, is "Female 1" according to the subtitles.

So, poor mad Jackie picks some random face of the IRA guy to heckle to give up names of conspirators, simply cause he sees him on TV, as IRA guy is part of the legitimate government.

Naturally, he was the ringleader of this whole plot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Jackie Chan movies give away the secret villains by how much they love Britain.

So an Irishman that loves it enough to fight for it is I guess waaaay evil.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Arrath posted:

Jackie's daughter, who sets the whole thing off by getting Collateral Damage'd 3 minutes into the movie, is "Female 1" according to the subtitles.

So, poor mad Jackie picks some random face of the IRA guy to heckle to give up names of conspirators, simply cause he sees him on TV, as IRA guy is part of the legitimate government.

lmao true

although tbf there was a sub-plot underneath "gerry adams" as well :smuggo:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anyway gonna re-recommend black 47... gently caress landlords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znv9iBGX6w

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

Aaaaaaaand I know what I'll be watching tonight.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Krankenstyle posted:

From the title, I kinda hoped this was going to be a blaxploitation Hitman movie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arrath posted:

Also jackie is so nonimportant to the plot resolution that it feels like a secret history type book

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the new movie Bloodshot there's this nerd character that everybody just hates but they don't do a good job of making him hateable so it just comes across as every character in the movie being a huge bully to this guy for no reason.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Also jackie is so nonimportant to the plot resolution that it feels like a secret history type book

Let's not forget that the police bust into the hideout after Jackie rolls through and wrecks everyone, to torture the bomb plot out of the survivors before straight executing them.

Which, tbf was probably SOP for MI5 or whoever it was back during The Troubles but now?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Arrath posted:

Let's not forget that the police bust into the hideout after Jackie rolls through and wrecks everyone, to torture the bomb plot out of the survivors before straight executing them.

Which, tbf was probably SOP for MI5 or whoever it was back during The Troubles but now?

yeah, what gives, that's something you'd expect out of America!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dug the movie just for that scene where he's hiding by holding up between the wall and ceiling like some kinda asian spiderman and then hops down and fucks up everyone.

When they spot him, they have what I imagine would be the same face I would, which is a perfect "The gently caress?" expression.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Jesus Rolls threesome scene

She’s anorgasmic and she’s okay with that and explaining it.

This is actually pretty awesome having her be allowed to talk about that but if you ever dated someone like this it’s hard on the ego.

I get why audiences would give this a pass. The guy/guy/girl threesome is already going to make some people uncomfortable.

E: I made this post in the middle of watching this movie and now I can find several reasons "mr middle america" might dislike it

it's challenging

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Mar 17, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something really stupid about the Stallone version of Judge Dredd is the whole framing Dredd for a crime he didn't commit part (the murder of an anti-Judge reporter.) So the reason Dredd gets convicted is that a Judge's gun DNA tags each and every bullet fired from it and it turns out that the bullets that killed the reporter match to Dredd. This happens because the gun was actually fired by Dredd's secretly alive secret clone brother Rico.

The problem is that the council of Judges ruling on the case know that Rico and Dredd were clones and so they know for a fact that DNA tagging is worthless. Even though they think Rico is dead they know that clones are a thing that exist.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's pretty weird that they live in a world that's so authoritarian but they still dna test the cops like that.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

muscles like this! posted:

Something really stupid about the Stallone version of Judge Dredd is the whole framing Dredd for a crime he didn't commit part (the murder of an anti-Judge reporter.) So the reason Dredd gets convicted is that a Judge's gun DNA tags each and every bullet fired from it and it turns out that the bullets that killed the reporter match to Dredd. This happens because the gun was actually fired by Dredd's secretly alive secret clone brother Rico.

The problem is that the council of Judges ruling on the case know that Rico and Dredd were clones and so they know for a fact that DNA tagging is worthless. Even though they think Rico is dead they know that clones are a thing that exist.

I thought the other High Judges didn't know of Project Janus except Chief Justice Fargo, and he took the Long Walk to spare Dredd's life.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They didn’t know about project Janus and tbh my respect for muscles like this posting has fallen a great deal after this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
More like oldrespectless

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

My IIMM for that movie is that Rico orders the clone computer to ditch the old sample and take a new one from him. He's got the exact same DNA as the previous sample, FFS.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I thought the other High Judges didn't know of Project Janus except Chief Justice Fargo, and he took the Long Walk to spare Dredd's life.

No, they know, because when Judge Griffin starts pushing Janus everybody knows what he is talking about.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Huh, guess I need to watch Judge Dredd again.

Good way to prep myself for our future by the ways things are going.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It has also been a thing in the comics that Mega City Law is harsh and unforgiving for everyone, even the judges. Dredd isn't allowed to just shoot whoever he likes, and I vaguely recall a situation where a criminal got away by surrendering, then leaving when Dredd had to rescue his hostage from an automated trap. Another time Dredd took a dislike to a business (Cosmetic surgery to make you as ugly as possible) and spent time going over obscure laws until he found one the business was violating.

So, a weird quirk but somewhat in line with certain depictions of Mega City One

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's been 16 years since Ocean's Twelve came out but I just saw five minutes of it on the tv and it turns out I'm still furious about the Julia Roberts plot twist :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
How is undercover cops being painfully obvious still a thing in tv shows and movies? Haven't they watched any movie where they are setting up an arrest and seen how easy it is to spot the fed by looking for people talking into their wrist/touching their ear a bunch or repeating actions over and over while staring at the suspect? Just act normal, mess around on your phone, do random things, do anything but act like a cop.