Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Have any Index owners had problems getting their headset cameras to work? I've tried resetting the usb devices in developer settings and I can sometimes get the cameras to show up in windows camera app but Steam VR always says that there was a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

jubjub64 posted:

Have any Index owners had problems getting their headset cameras to work? I've tried resetting the usb devices in developer settings and I can sometimes get the cameras to show up in windows camera app but Steam VR always says that there was a problem.

Mine don't work, I think I saw on Reddit that they don't work if you're hooked up to a USB 3.1 slot but I haven't cared enough to try other ports to try that myself.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Thanks all for the help. Since it seems pretty difficult to get a decent cable for the Quest in the UK, I don't particularly care about portability and I'm not even sure if my PC has USB-C I think I'll grab the Rift S when I'm eventually buying. Will keep in mind the advice re: plano lenses, spacers, etc - if I'm having real trouble getting my glasses in I'll just get something like that. Maybe one of the prescription lens sets would help in that case although that might be going a bit too far.

Hope this poo poo isn't all out of stock because of the virus by the time I have the money!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

cargohills posted:

Thanks all for the help. Since it seems pretty difficult to get a decent cable for the Quest in the UK, I don't particularly care about portability and I'm not even sure if my PC has USB-C I think I'll grab the Rift S when I'm eventually buying. Will keep in mind the advice re: plano lenses, spacers, etc - if I'm having real trouble getting my glasses in I'll just get something like that. Maybe one of the prescription lens sets would help in that case although that might be going a bit too far.

Hope this poo poo isn't all out of stock because of the virus by the time I have the money!

You don't need a USB-C unless you are buying the official cable. It is literally just this thing plus some other cable:
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8/

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find in the UK, but any active USB 3.0 extension cable should work fine.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cargohills posted:

I installed this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082D5ZRXT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

on my PC the other day. My Quest link runs much better now.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So apparently I have really prominent cheekbones/cheekfat that makes the Index face gasket not sit properly on my face. This causes my eyes to move out of the sweet spot. To fix this, without destructively modifying the face gasket, I Frankensteined this together from an OG Rift VRCover, some cloth and some adhesive velcro. I'm gonna buy some additional face gaskets in the future so that I can permanently modify one for myself but for now this ghetto-fabulous mod offsets my forehead so that I stay in that sweet, sweet, sweet-spot. Thank you for your time.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

jubjub64 posted:

So apparently I have really prominent cheekbones/cheekfat that makes the Index face gasket not sit properly on my face. This causes my eyes to move out of the sweet spot. To fix this, without destructively modifying the face gasket, I Frankensteined this together from an OG Rift VRCover, some cloth and some adhesive velcro. I'm gonna buy some additional face gaskets in the future so that I can permanently modify one for myself but for now this ghetto-fabulous mod offsets my forehead so that I stay in that sweet, sweet, sweet-spot. Thank you for your time.

I stacked 6mm of neodymium magnets at the top mounts for this reason

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tip posted:

Looks like Valve is making quick work of these orders. When I initially ordered it said 6-8 weeks, then it became the 5-7 weeks shown above, and now it says 3-5 weeks.

I'm back where I started, 6-8 weeks. :argh:

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Thoatse posted:

I stacked 6mm of neodymium magnets at the top mounts for this reason

Hey, I like that! And I think I have some well sized magnets around here somewhere...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A few games news/trailers for Oculus here
https://www.oculus.com/blog/game-news-pistol-whip-update-echo-vr-closed-alpha-and-more/

And Papa Gaber talking of Alyx with Ign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zXkwLs_lo

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is fundamentally a 2D display that you touch to interact with for brief tasks. It's not gonna matter a whole lot if your finger dips through it briefly, and it's way more convenient to be able to have something you can place and forget rather than having to physically dig out a phone and look at it. Basically Oculus Dashboard or OVRToolkit, but with touchscreen interaction.

A peripheral for this would be just an expensive toy doing an cheap job less effectively; For Oculus, has to recognize and track a third object (along with being able to parse "third object in first/second object wrapped around it" so you get more processor overhead. Not a great thing for the Quest. On the Lighthouse side that means sensors, and it won't be cheap once you factor in the processor and battery even using an HDK, to a tune of probably like $100+ USD. Not to mention just juggling this peripheral around your controllers if you're wearing/using some.
This is such a bizzare argument to me, plenty of games already have virtual touchscreen interfaces and they're awkward as poo poo things you poke at with your whole hand. I'd love a an actual tangible surface I could stow in my pocket and whip out when needed for text entry/menus. Id use the already established muscle memory from using my phone and the conrollers are tied to my wrist so i can just drop them to free my hand and whip them back again. You could hook it into apps outside the game and let you use it like you would a real smart phone without interupting gameplay.

Also if I cared about the practicallity and efficiency of the peripherals and tech involved I wouldn't be playing vr games in the first place lol.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Mr Phillby posted:

This is such a bizzare argument to me, plenty of games already have virtual touchscreen interfaces and they're awkward as poo poo things you poke at with your whole hand. I'd love a an actual tangible surface I could stow in my pocket and whip out when needed for text entry/menus. Id use the already established muscle memory from using my phone and the conrollers are tied to my wrist so i can just drop them to free my hand and whip them back again. You could hook it into apps outside the game and let you use it like you would a real smart phone without interupting gameplay.

Also if I cared about the practicallity and efficiency of the peripherals and tech involved I wouldn't be playing vr games in the first place lol.

i've found the PS4 hover circle motion control typing really easy that i could see having 2 Differently coloured circles Floating on a keyboard that don't particularly care about you're aiming so much as just shifting your hands around and tapping a button on the conroller.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I take it Unity is my best bet for getting into programming VR stuff for this Index I've got now?

I mentioned it before, but I'm specifically interested in some data visualization. Never messed with Unity in my life, so I know there'll be a long learning curve there, but I'm hoping the road from zero to "I can put on my HMD and look at a constructed model of some data" isn't TOO terrible long. Or is there perhaps a more direct route to my goal here?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

I take it Unity is my best bet for getting into programming VR stuff for this Index I've got now?

I mentioned it before, but I'm specifically interested in some data visualization. Never messed with Unity in my life, so I know there'll be a long learning curve there, but I'm hoping the road from zero to "I can put on my HMD and look at a constructed model of some data" isn't TOO terrible long. Or is there perhaps a more direct route to my goal here?

I'd suggest Unity or UE4 by a LONG shot. What is the data? What programming languages have you used? Give us some specifics and we can get you started. If the data isn't too secret I can probably kick you out a Unity project that views the data very quickly.

Depending on the data those 2 or something else might be easier to get them working on device.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm a software engineer by trade, and for the last, oh I don't know how long, some number of years, 99% of my work has been in python. If I were able to stick with that? Holy poo poo, that'd be amazing, since it's extremely well-suited for this sort of work.

As for the data itself, no, it's not secret or sensitive, in fact it's all publicly available via an API my team produced. In this particular case, I'm interested in visualizing InSAR (Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar) baseline stacks. It's really just a couple axes of data, one being temporal and the other being physical, but I have some notions of very interesting (to me and probably my peers) approaches for looking at that data that really isn't possible in other contexts. Right now we're stuck with 2d Persistent Scatter plots, and maybe a Short Baseline approach that is just the PS plot with connections to N nearest neighbors, but I have this idea of viewing it as a repeating cycle of data, think a single or double helix representing a timeline and an offset from the center as the other axis (perpendicular baseline)...

Like, that's a lot of word salad there, but I think the super-simplified version is "I want to take a scatter plot on a temporal and physical axis and roll it into a helix" and then add in all the natural filtering and selecting that that would make obvious.

It'd be SO much easier to describe this on a whiteboard, ha. Which is sort of a testament in itself to the validity of the goal here, I guess.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 18, 2020

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

this was a pretty interesting watch. Had no idea Gabe had gone so deep down the brain-computer interface rabbit hole. It's hard for me to imagine anything actually coming of it (pre-order the valve brain-jack now!! ) but it's cool that he's been tinkering in that field.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bad Munki posted:

I'm a software engineer by trade, and for the last, oh I don't know how long, some number of years, 99% of my work has been in python. If I were able to stick with that? Holy poo poo, that'd be amazing, since it's extremely well-suited for this sort of work.

As for the data itself, no, it's not secret or sensitive, in fact it's all publicly available via an API my team produced. In this particular case, I'm interested in visualizing InSAR (Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar) baseline stacks. It's really just a couple axes of data, one being temporal and the other being physical, but I have some notions of very interesting (to me and probably my peers) approaches for looking at that data that really isn't possible in other contexts. Right now we're stuck with 2d Persistent Scatter plots, and maybe a Short Baseline approach that is just the PS plot with connections to N nearest neighbors, but I have this idea of viewing it as a repeating cycle of data, think a single or double helix representing a timeline and an offset from the center as the other axis (perpendicular baseline)...

Like, that's a lot of word salad there, but I think the super-simplified version is "I want to take a scatter plot on a temporal and physical axis and roll it into a helix" and then add in all the natural filtering and selecting that that would make obvious.

It'd be SO much easier to describe this on a whiteboard, ha. Which is sort of a testament in itself to the validity of the goal here, I guess.

Unity/Unreal may not be the most efficient method of doing so, but it would proably best fit your use case for getting something up and running. I know of folks using it for business related apps and since you're trying to get VR integrated it makes the most sense.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

punished milkman posted:

this was a pretty interesting watch. Had no idea Gabe had gone so deep down the brain-computer interface rabbit hole. It's hard for me to imagine anything actually coming of it (pre-order the valve brain-jack now!! ) but it's cool that he's been tinkering in that field.

It sure is on brand...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

jubjub64 posted:

Hey, I like that! And I think I have some well sized magnets around here somewhere...

Here's a pic for anyone that might not have visualized how the Index facial interface works and how easily it can be dialed for their face. I think mine were 6x3mm, two on each upper mount. Might even throw another on it but 6mm was a big improvement on already good ergonomics. I don't have particularly high cheekbones, just found I needed to tilt it a bit fwd to get a better sweet spot which made it dig in. Seemed like many had the same discomfort for the same reason but it's easy to adjust.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Thoatse posted:

Here's a pic for anyone that might not have visualized how the Index facial interface works and how easily it can be dialed for their face. I think mine were 6x3mm, two on each upper mount. Might even throw another on it but 6mm was a big improvement on already good ergonomics. I don't have particularly high cheekbones, just found I needed to tilt it a bit fwd to get a better sweet spot which made it dig in. Seemed like many had the same discomfort for the same reason but it's easy to adjust.

I ended up using your magnet mod as well as my forehead cushion mod. Maybe my forehead is just concave? Thanks again for the awesome tip.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/lDyZYG3.mp4

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

what kind of sick bastard plays VR in socks on a wood floor

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is it weird that video makes me wish there was a Riddick VR game?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
There's gonna be a closed alpha for the Quest port of Echo Arena on March 26th, you can sign up here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1i3j3T0Zp1adU8bEa31QbZvfbdh8HsIlhiePUmgk-KMc/viewform?edit_requested=true

If you have a Quest you should absolutely sign up it will be dope

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Pistol whip is a fun little power fantasy. I’d be interested to see what sort of flubbing they do on the aiming. They’re clearly fudging things a bit but it results in a super fun Johnny Wick sort of experience.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Warbird posted:

Pistol whip is a fun little power fantasy. I’d be interested to see what sort of flubbing they do on the aiming. They’re clearly fudging things a bit but it results in a super fun Johnny Wick sort of experience.

Change it to Deadeye and you’ll find out

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sick, June 25th for Phantom Covert Ops. I am hype as gently caress for that game. tactical stealth canoe action

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay so, I just had a phenomenally weird and sort of life-changing experience with VR and I feel the need to post about it.

Some backstory:
I have a type of lazy eye called a Refractive Amblyopia - the short version is that one of my eyes doesn't correctly refract light which causes pretty severe effects to its vision. My anecdotal version is that ever since I was a little kid, it was as if my right eye didn't really exist within my conscious field of vision. When both of my eyes are open, my brain subconsciously filters out my right eye's vision - I'm still somewhat aware of things like peripheral vision on my right side, but I don't actively "see" anything out of my right eye - when both eyes are open. If I close my left eye, I can see out of my right eye, but everything is very blurry (like, can barely read giant text right in front of my eyes), rather dark without much contrast, and altogether unreliable.

It's been this way since I was born so I've never had much of a frame of reference for what normal binocular vision is like. (You might think you know where this story is going, but you're wrong because no I'm sorry VR did not allow me to experience binocular vision.)

So on to VR; I got a PSVR a few months ago with my tax return money because why not. I bought a handful of games, I've played them, had fun, all in all it's been a good time. Tonight I noticed that there was a sale on the PSN so I bought Farpoint because I've heard good things about it and felt like exploring an alien world and shooting at the aliens on it. For some reason I had a tough time calibrating the camera/play area with it, so as I was playing through the little tutorial stage I was just sort of having a hard time looking at things, it was a little shaky and weird. After a brief walking simulator audiolog segment the game pops up with a short description of the assault rifle you're holding. After that I started messing with it, getting used to the holo sight on it, you know, normal VR things.

The holo sight in particular was really blurry and it was starting to frustrate me, at some point of looking down at it I closed my left (good) eye and looked through my right eye. Holy poo poo.

All along VR has felt a little blurry to me, it made it feel video-gamey (in fact I posted on either this page or the last I think about this), just a liiiitle off in a way that I couldn't quite describe. What I found out in that moment is that my eyes seem to be reversed in VR. If I close my left eye and look only through the right? Crystal clear. I mean, it looked so good I spent a good few minutes staring at the smoke rising in the background while my mind struggled to comprehend the moment - not only did it look "real" but it was the first time in my life I had ever seen anything with such clarity through my right eye. So I walked around a little and looked at some things up close and, I mean, same exact thing. Perfect clarity through my eye that is usually so bad that I don't feel safe driving.

Only a few minutes was a little overwhelming and I took the headset off and rushed here to post this, I still feel a weird feeling like subconsciously expecting my right eye to work in real life. It doesn't, and this is getting way out there with my theories but I feel like this could actually help my vision overall. One of the main treatments for this condition is to wear an eye patch over the good eye to force the bad eye to pick up the slack, this was historically thought to only work on children (and I was a bad kid who took the eyepatch off as soon as adults weren't around, which is exactly why most children don't properly treat this condition) but recent research has showed that it can be effective on adults, if not debilitating to their day to wear a patch. Anyway I'm not going to wear a patch but I'm going to keep making my bad eye look at things in VR and maybe my brain will convince it to be less bad :shrug: In the meantime I feel really weird. How bizarre

Edit: In fact there are companies treating this very disability with the help of VR https://www.seevividly.com/
whatta world

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 19, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay so, I just had a phenomenally weird and sort of life-changing experience with VR and I feel the need to post about it.

So you're not crazy.

VR is being used to help correct lazy eye and such. Been good for some I read. Throw "VR correcting lazy eye" or something into google and you'll get interesting stuff.

EDIT: Just recently saw a thing on twitter bout this. No idea how long term, or whatever but it seems like its a thing anyways.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 19, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

update for SteamVR

SteamVR:
Add a distance slider for room scale chaperone bounds sensitivity.

SteamVR Input:
Disabled haptic bumps from overlay applications that have not upgraded to the new input system. This prevents several bumps that would fire and interfere with the scene app's haptics.

Oculus:
Fixed prediction when using Quest+Link (improves positional latency).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Turin Turambar posted:

update for SteamVR

SteamVR:
Add a distance slider for room scale chaperone bounds sensitivity.

Get this, if you haven't:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vive_vr/comments/b5s22c/advanced_settings_300_steamvr_input_and/

It has this (and has for years), and hella more settings. It's basically mandatory for SteamVR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some sales numbers for Eleven TT, gives an idea of the platforms relative strengths:

quote:

The game by For Fun Labs released in December 2017 on the Oculus Store for Rift and in June 2016 on Steam. Since then, For Fun Labs sold 28,000 copies on the Oculus Store for Facebook’s PC VR headsets Rift and Rift S, and more than 50,000 copies on Steam. Update: For Fun Labs explained that, although the game includes cross-buy with the Rift version of the game available from Oculus, based on their data they are sure more than 12,000 copies sold for Quest.

28K on Oculus pc store (since Dec 2017).
50K on Steam (Since June 2016).
12K on Quest store (two weeks).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 19, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Eleven TT is hella good and everybody should try it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some backstory:
I have a type of lazy eye called a Refractive Amblyopia - the short version is that one of my eyes doesn't correctly refract light which causes pretty severe effects to its vision. My anecdotal version is that ever since I was a little kid, it was as if my right eye didn't really exist within my conscious field of vision. When both of my eyes are open, my brain subconsciously filters out my right eye's vision - I'm still somewhat aware of things like peripheral vision on my right side, but I don't actively "see" anything out of my right eye - when both eyes are open. If I close my left eye, I can see out of my right eye, but everything is very blurry (like, can barely read giant text right in front of my eyes), rather dark without much contrast, and altogether unreliable.

It's been this way since I was born so I've never had much of a frame of reference for what normal binocular vision is like. (You might think you know where this story is going, but you're wrong because no I'm sorry VR did not allow me to experience binocular vision.)

So on to VR; I got a PSVR a few months ago with my tax return money because why not. I bought a handful of games, I've played them, had fun, all in all it's been a good time. Tonight I noticed that there was a sale on the PSN so I bought Farpoint because I've heard good things about it and felt like exploring an alien world and shooting at the aliens on it. For some reason I had a tough time calibrating the camera/play area with it, so as I was playing through the little tutorial stage I was just sort of having a hard time looking at things, it was a little shaky and weird. After a brief walking simulator audiolog segment the game pops up with a short description of the assault rifle you're holding. After that I started messing with it, getting used to the holo sight on it, you know, normal VR things.

The holo sight in particular was really blurry and it was starting to frustrate me, at some point of looking down at it I closed my left (good) eye and looked through my right eye. Holy poo poo.

All along VR has felt a little blurry to me, it made it feel video-gamey (in fact I posted on either this page or the last I think about this), just a liiiitle off in a way that I couldn't quite describe. What I found out in that moment is that my eyes seem to be reversed in VR. If I close my left eye and look only through the right? Crystal clear. I mean, it looked so good I spent a good few minutes staring at the smoke rising in the background while my mind struggled to comprehend the moment - not only did it look "real" but it was the first time in my life I had ever seen anything with such clarity through my right eye. So I walked around a little and looked at some things up close and, I mean, same exact thing. Perfect clarity through my eye that is usually so bad that I don't feel safe driving.

Only a few minutes was a little overwhelming and I took the headset off and rushed here to post this, I still feel a weird feeling like subconsciously expecting my right eye to work in real life. It doesn't, and this is getting way out there with my theories but I feel like this could actually help my vision overall. One of the main treatments for this condition is to wear an eye patch over the good eye to force the bad eye to pick up the slack, this was historically thought to only work on children (and I was a bad kid who took the eyepatch off as soon as adults weren't around, which is exactly why most children don't properly treat this condition) but recent research has showed that it can be effective on adults, if not debilitating to their day to wear a patch. Anyway I'm not going to wear a patch but I'm going to keep making my bad eye look at things in VR and maybe my brain will convince it to be less bad :shrug: In the meantime I feel really weird. How bizarre

Edit: In fact there are companies treating this very disability with the help of VR https://www.seevividly.com/
whatta world

This is super cool

I think once you've had a full night to sleep on it, would like to get your impressions and hear more, especially after 2-3 days

Based on that other guy's post sounds like it's super helpful

Please follow up thx

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

whatta world

Stereoscopic 3D movies have had this effect too for people. Iiirc, there was a goon posting ages ago in a thread how they'd spent most of their life without stereoscopic vision until sitting in a 3D movie at a cinema and something in their brain just went""Oh it should work like this :science:" and suddenly they had depth perception. I hope it works for you in the long run! :yayclod:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Yes Unity will work best for you. You'll have to program in C# but that's not too bad coming from python. I'd grab a Unity VR tutorial to just get started and follow along. Here's a quick one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAeMhYsMwZQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJAzdHSsIE there are many others as well. Then I'd find some data vis tutorials but I have no references to any of them.

At that point you should have a VR program and you can start to work on how you want to visualize it.

Don't worry about how you get things done just get stuff done in Unity. Feel free to ask any questions here or in the Gamedev threads, we have plenty (if not mostly) Unity developers. VR doesn't really change Unity development except you have to make your UI's in physical space.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I ran through the VR beginner escape room tutorial and then started setting up my own room. Then I scrapped all of that when I realized I was using the XR libraries when SteamVR libraries were available, which gave me index tracking and all that. Currently trying to get the finger tracking and such set up properly and then I’ll move on to setting up a practical space to start displaying data in. Progress is progress, thanks :)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

VRTK is a decent option as well, but stick with what you think will work. I’m only just getting back in to VR programming and things have changed a ton in the last couple of years. I wasn’t super impressed with Unity’s escape room project tbh. Regardless feel free to blog your progress I’m interested to see how it shakes out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

This is super cool

I think once you've had a full night to sleep on it, would like to get your impressions and hear more, especially after 2-3 days

Based on that other guy's post sounds like it's super helpful

Please follow up thx

I played about an hour more and switched between both eyes and my weak eye, after sleeping on it I can say that my right eye's vision is noticeably better today than I'm used to. It's not "Fixed" but this morning I stood in front of my fridge and could clearly read the brand names on everything with the weak eye which is a lot more than I'm used to. I still can't do small print with it. This feels a little dreamlike because this isn't something I expected and it happened so suddenly.

I also sort of trained my eyes to do something I couldn't ever do before while playing Farpoint last night - usually my right eye is filtered out but I found a way that I could look around normally with my left eye taking lead while my right eye was lined up with my gun's holo-sight giving me a clear crosshair sort of overlaid on my normal vision. I assume that's a normal thing for two-eye-havers but it's something my brain never considered as a possibility until last night :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Warbird posted:

VRTK is a decent option as well, but stick with what you think will work. I’m only just getting back in to VR programming and things have changed a ton in the last couple of years. I wasn’t super impressed with Unity’s escape room project tbh. Regardless feel free to blog your progress I’m interested to see how it shakes out.

I mean, I didn't get as far as building an actual escape room, that was a bunch of follow-on tutorials. But they had the initial "welcome to Unity+VR" tutorial set that introduced you to various general topics and some VR stuff, like scenes, objects, teleporters, actions, and so on. That was enough to get me off the ground.

But switching to the SteamVR plugin gets me easy-button finger tracking, so that's cool. I'm not at all worried about building super-generalized solutions right now, I just want to stumble through to the point where I get something that works with my hardware and does the data vis I want. ;)

That's pretty awesome and fascinating and I hope you keep us updated going forward.