Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Neurion posted:

Probably also a good idea to disable the Fourth Crusade mechanics, unless you're confident in your ability to siege down the Papacy before you get steamrolled.
My hope is that with the other four bishoprics secured before I move on Rome, I can present the reformation as a fait accompli before any retaliation comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Turn off AI Seduction at the start.

Yeh I forgot to and I'm committed now. Next campaign I'm turning that fucker off and it's staying off permanently.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Another dev diary:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-18-men-at-arms-mercenaries-and-casus-belli

I really love the art for the military units. Hopefully they'll get slowly padded out with more cultural variants in DLC too.

UI still looking good. It's a massive improvement compared to CK2, but also compared to their other games like Imperator, which only came out like a year ago.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In the last two ironman games that I played from the first start to the 1450s I didn't get the Horde. Second game had Seljuk but that was it.
I'm not sure why but I was definitely disappointed.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
They really need to bring back the rank-affirming portrait borders. That is like 90% of ck meme culture.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

fuf posted:

Another dev diary:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-18-men-at-arms-mercenaries-and-casus-belli

I really love the art for the military units. Hopefully they'll get slowly padded out with more cultural variants in DLC too.

UI still looking good. It's a massive improvement compared to CK2, but also compared to their other games like Imperator, which only came out like a year ago.

Still think it's kinda weird that siege equipment is something an army has permanently hanging around in the place of a cavalry or pike unit or whatever -- I'm no military historian but my impression was that those weren't lugged around with the army but usually assembled on-site?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

They really need to bring back the rank-affirming portrait borders. That is like 90% of ck meme culture.

Yeah I'm also wondering if there's a way to tell someone's rank at a glance like in CK2. Maybe it's just by the size and fanciness of their hat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So Men at Arms are just another incarnation of Retinues basically.

I've never really been a fan of figuring out unit composition.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ninjahedgehog posted:

Still think it's kinda weird that siege equipment is something an army has permanently hanging around in the place of a cavalry or pike unit or whatever -- I'm no military historian but my impression was that those weren't lugged around with the army but usually assembled on-site?

you're right in that there aren't just catapults sitting around in ye barne somewhere. but you do need trained guys to build and operate the things, the same as you would have trained bowmen or cavalry. and a picture bunch of guys with hammers and rope is less exciting than a picture of an already completed and firing away siege engine

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Anyone have tips on playing CK2 multiplayer?

Usually I play the game at full speed or pause but not sure that'll work for multiplayer.

Then again there's going to be plenty of pausing since my friend has never touched the game before (we're playing it to stay in touch during isolation), so I'm going to be spending a lot of time explaining the fine points of medieval inheritance law.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

UrbicaMortis posted:

Anyone have tips on playing CK2 multiplayer?

Usually I play the game at full speed or pause but not sure that'll work for multiplayer.

Then again there's going to be plenty of pausing since my friend has never touched the game before (we're playing it to stay in touch during isolation), so I'm going to be spending a lot of time explaining the fine points of medieval inheritance law.

Play it at speed 2 unless you have a lot of work come in at once (like a succession happens). You can pause any time you want, but this will force you to handle basics on a rolling basis and will keep the game moving.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 20, 2020

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

So Men at Arms are just another incarnation of Retinues basically.

I've never really been a fan of figuring out unit composition.

Yeah. There's going to be one insanely optimal build and it will be something ridiculous like "100% heavy crossbows."

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

That's my understanding as well, I think it would make more sense to have it represented as Siege Engineers.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It owns to be within a county or two of forming the Outremer for like 100 years and never get there because the Holy Roman Empire keeps inheriting all my poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Any tips/tricks for the Armenian Monarch's Journey?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Marry for a good alliance early, wait for the crusade for egypt, and then pick off former ayyubid vassals

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is there any reason I can稚 assign commanders or even have left and right flanks on my army? I have people with Commander titles. They池e not busy doing another job. But I don稚 even have the option to assign someone to the army.

I知 also in a war and sieged down my objective territory, but it痴 not being marked as mine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Your commanders can still elect to not lead armies. I don't remember if the game actually notifies you of this, but yeah they can sometimes decide 'gently caress it I'm too scared'.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Individiual army units come from different counties, or different least different owner fiefs inside of the same county - so you can have 5 castles and 1 city and you'll get two army units out of it assuming you own all the castles and a vassal mayor holds the city.

If you're just raising your personal levies you might legit just have one army unit on site. This prevents you from having a left and right flank.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

FreudianSlippers posted:

I declare a revocation war on my dad who is also your heir and vassal and then immediately surrender. It gives you control of all the counties in your realm immediately and skyrockets your levy size

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Coolguye posted:

If you're just raising your personal levies you might legit just have one army unit on site. This prevents you from having a left and right flank.

This was it. I raised everything and merged them together and was able to add commanders.

Now I need to understand the difference between gavalkind and agnatic-cognatic succession. Because I switched over to A-C and my oldest son got the shittiest of my two counties. (I'm a dude in Southern Pomerania).

How do you increase domain size? I created a Duchy but that didn稚 do it.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 25, 2020

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
agnatic cognatic is just one of the gender succession laws that can be put over the normal succession types. Agnatic-cognatic lets women inherit if there are no suitable men to inherit your titles.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah the succession laws work by having a gender qualifier (usually agnatic, agnatic-cognatic, or absolute cognatic) and a type qualifier. Gavelkind is your type qualifier, agnatic-cognatic is your gender qualifier. Gavelkind's type is basically that every child will inherit something, but people who are higher up on the inheritance list will inherit more in the case of a tie. So as an example, if you have three sons and five fiefs, when you die every son will get one fief, but the first and second in line will get two. the capital county will always go to your heir, but beyond that it's largely a gamble as to what title ends up with what child. you could easily have the youngest child end up with the richest county while the older one that you care about gets the backwater.

the gender qualifier modifies who is eligible to inherit. with agnatic titles, only males can inherit and women are hard disqualified. under agnatic-cognatic, women CAN inherit, but only if there are no eligible men. so in our previous example of five fiefs, if we presume two sons and one daughter, the older son gets 3, the younger son gets 2, and the daughter gets nothing. there are also enatic and enatic-cognatic laws that prefer women over men, but these are much, much more rare and basically only exist with specially designed pagan religions.

absolute cognatic means women and men inherit on the same grounds. so in the previous 2 sons 1 daughter, 5 fiefs example, the daughter will inherit as many fiefs as her birth order dictates: 2 if she is the oldest or second oldest, 1 if she is the youngest.

in general, Gavelkind is considered a very weak inheritance law because of all of the uncertainty surrounding it. pretty much every time your character dies, it will fracture your holdings. perhaps worse, every child still gets strong claims to the titles they DIDN'T inherit, which sets the stage perfectly for lots of succession wars. it's frequently a high priority to research the legalism 3 culture tech so you can make a realm law change to Late Feudal Administration and get a stronger inheritance law like Primogeniture or Ultimogeniture.

the gender argument is slightly less clear. most players (myself included) prefer Absolute Cognatic because that means you can use all of your children as bricks to build your dynastic holdings. there will always, always, always be some dingus to be a hard dick or a fertile womb for your eligible family members, but there will not always be more family members. also, there are few things as heartbreaking as having a brilliant daughter who's disallowed from ruling, especially while your son is a loving nitwit. however, gender-protected laws like Agnatic or Enatic mean that only one gender can inherit claims to your poo poo, so there will be fewer adventurers showing up causing random wars and generally being obnoxious. there's also fewer second and third generation claimspawns running around, waiting to be snapped up by a foreign ruler in a machiavellian scheme to get a claim on your poo poo and cause a giant war.

though it's worth saying, if you can't deal with an adventurer or five there's definitely a deeper problem we need to talk about

domain size - i presume you mean "domain" and not "demesne". that goes up with the number of holdings in territory you control; so founding a duchy wouldn't do it if you already had de-facto control of all the counties in that duchy. what founding the duchy did enable, however, is de jure claims on counties that are part of that duchy if you do not already control them. if you work up a war and press that de jure claim, THAT will increase your domain size by however many baronies/cities/bishoprics are in that county. building a new holding in a county you already own will also increase your domain size.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 25, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I think I must have meant demesne. Whatever allows me to hold more than two counties without there being a debuff to taxes and vassals being mad.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ok, there's a few things that go into that limit.

1) your rank. going from count to duke won't help you, but going from duke to great duke (that is, holding 2 or more ducal titles) will. becoming a king will. becoming an emperor also will.
2) your laws. the more centralized your government, the higher your demesne will be, but conversely your vassal limit will be lower. it's good to centralize a bit, but don't be surprised if you have to roll that back a little bit in the late game. abolishing the council's powers entirely will also help.
3) your ruler's stewardship. for every (roughly) 7 points you have, you can hold another holding. remember that your spouse counts for this purpose, so if you have a spouse with 14 stewardship that's a guaranteed extra holding right there, but if you personally have 10, a spouse with at least 8 stewardship will also give you the bonus.

gavelkind also provides you a bonus to personal demense but this generally isn't considered worth all the crap i posted above.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I'm playing my first serious game as Poland and I'm getting creamed. I was slowly expanding and doing rather well for myself, or so I thought. For around 150 years I've had the vast empire of Nikopolis chip away at my territory, every time they declare war on me everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. I was made a vassal for a short time until I led a successful rebellion. Still, I'm being chipped away and right now my kingdom is in four parts. This has been a fun first time and I've learnt a lot, but not enough to do well at the moment. I've defended my territory to the best of my ability, sometimes I've won and sometimes I've lost hard and had to pay the price. I've even gained territory at times but still, that massive empire of Nikopolis flexes it's muscles once a decade and decides it wants more land from me.

I understand that there is still another 500 years of gameplay left, even though it's been a fun and interesting ride but it just seems like I'm just waiting for an end. I can barely muster up enough men to fend off raids any more, is this still salvageable?

Edit: Just after posting this I had two peasant revolts!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 25, 2020

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm playing my first serious game as Poland and I'm getting creamed. ... I can barely muster up enough men to fend off raids any more, is this still salvageable?

Being a vassal would imo actually be the best move for you right now as you could reclaim territory from other vassals without the emperor interfering.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

What are some reasons why I can稚 grant land to someone? I知 trying to offload my shittiest county to get down to my limit and I知 unable to give it to anyone. It痴 part of the land I started with. Is that why?

Also just so I知 sure, if I知 looking at the max loot stat is that a good indicator of county wealth/how good it is?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Being a vassal would imo actually be the best move for you right now as you could reclaim territory from other vassals without the emperor interfering.

Yeah, I agree. And maybe then, once you've reclaimed some of your lands from the other vassals, you could lead the king's/emperor's disgruntled vassals in an independence revolt. (Which will cripple Nikopolis for a while, if not forever)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 26, 2020

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Look Sir Droids posted:

What are some reasons why I can稚 grant land to someone? I知 trying to offload my shittiest county to get down to my limit and I知 unable to give it to anyone. It痴 part of the land I started with. Is that why?

Also just so I知 sure, if I知 looking at the max loot stat is that a good indicator of county wealth/how good it is?

I don't think that should matter, just make sure its not your capital ,in your personal demesne, and isnt your last holding. Who are you trying to give it to? You need a (preferably) unlanded courtier, not someone from outside your court.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I don't think that should matter, just make sure its not your capital ,in your personal demesne, and isnt your last holding. Who are you trying to give it to? You need a (preferably) unlanded courtier, not someone from outside your court.

Just trying to give it to the mayor of some town there. I also tried other vassals but nope.

Actually, checking again I知 unable to give anything away. I have a limit if 3 in my demesne and I知 holding 4.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Do you have the Conclave DLC running, by any chance? If so it's possible that you're being blocked by a regent or a council with voting power over title grants).

Also, if you're not a republic there is (by default anyway) a limit on how many vassal counties can be held by Lord Mayors or Prince-Bishops - maybe try giving the county to a local baron or just some random courtier and see if it works?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 26, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's a reasonable measure, yeah, assuming the county isn't affected by raiding or 'new administration' or whatever. You can get a quick look at this by setting the map mode to Economy.

More directly (but more time consuming to check) is to look at the holdings -- how many holdings there are, what levels of buildings are in them, and maybe how many slots there are for more. If you're in the appropriate areas it's important to check if you could put a silk road trade post up, too, those are worth stupid amounts of gold.

e: Also, I dunno if it'll help in this case, but often if you can't do something, hovering over the greyed-out button will give you a tooltip saying why you can't click it.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just trying to give it to the mayor of some town there. I also tried other vassals but nope.

Actually, checking again I知 unable to give anything away. I have a limit if 3 in my demesne and I知 holding 4.

You're not a count, are you?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

post a screenshot of your attempt to give something away. there's a bunch of possibilities here and if we see what you're trying to do it'll be a ton easier to troublesehoot.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Coolguye posted:

post a screenshot of your attempt to give something away. there's a bunch of possibilities here and if we see what you're trying to do it'll be a ton easier to troublesehoot.

So it's whatever that vassal republics item is. I don't understand it.

I currently possess Lenzen, Brennenburg, Nisani, and Zgoralice. Trying to give away Zgoralice. I believe I have the same problem with Nisani if I wanted to give it away. Nisani and Zgoralice were my starting counties.

Edit: I don't have Conclave, just Old Gods and Reapers Due. I'm also have three Duchy titles, so I'm not just a count anymore.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 26, 2020

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Look Sir Droids posted:

So it's whatever that vassal republics item is. I don't understand it.

Ah, right. So. One of the game rules caps the percentage of your counties that can be held by theocracies (the head guy is a bishop or priest) or normal republics (the head guy is a mayor, this excludes Merchant Republics which use a different set of rules). It's currently 10% for you, which since you don't have many counties rounds to 0. Since you already have more counties run by republic rulers than that cap, it won't let you distribute the county to that guy. If you try giving it to a landless person in your court, or to someone who is a feudal ruler already, it should work.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Quorum posted:

Ah, right. So. One of the game rules caps the percentage of your counties that can be held by theocracies (the head guy is a bishop or priest) or normal republics (the head guy is a mayor, this excludes Merchant Republics which use a different set of rules). It's currently 10% for you, which since you don't have many counties rounds to 0. Since you already have more counties run by republic rulers than that cap, it won't let you distribute the county to that guy. If you try giving it to a landless person in your court, or to someone who is a feudal ruler already, it should work.

Okay, I'll check. But I'm pretty sure all of my vassals except for two are landless. My two landed vassals are assholes that don't like me and one of them is getting way too powerful already.

Extra question: I have three sons. I'm on Agnatic Cognatic succession. I've married all the daughters off. How is the distribution going to work out? All three sons get a county and one of them gets two? Will the one that gets two be the overall boss, keeping the Duke titles? Or will the Duke titles be distributed too?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Extra question: I have three sons. I'm on Agnatic Cognatic succession. I've married all the daughters off. How is the distribution going to work out? All three sons get a county and one of them gets two? Will the one that gets two be the overall boss, keeping the Duke titles? Or will the Duke titles be distributed too?

What determines this isn't Agnatic-Cognatic (that just determines which gender of kids can inherit, in this case "men only, unless there are no men, in which case women"), but the other half of your succession laws, which is almost certainly Gavelkind.

Gavelkind distributes your titles as evenly as possible between your inheriting kids; you have three duchy titles, so each kid will get one, with your primary heir getting "first pick." Counties will also be divided between them, but if your lands are all in your main duchy, then the 1st kid should keep them all (because the other two are taking duchies instead). It's really hard to predict what the game will consider "fair," but you can generally assume that your primary heir will get the main title of each tier, and everything else will be distributed essentially at random.

You may have closed it, but usually there's an alert up top with a broken shield that says "title loss on succession" and lists precisely who will get what.

Gavelkind is awful and makes playing an unreformed pagan miserable -- they can't switch to anything else (with some specific exceptions).

e: Also, as a general rule, it's better to give counties to people who currently don't own anything. Non-inheriting relatives are good, lowborn schlubs are good. The reason is that this keeps them individually weak; if all they ever hold is their one single county, then they don't have the strength to fight you.

megane fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 26, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

megane posted:

What determines this isn't Agnatic-Cognatic (that just determines which gender of kids can inherit, in this case "men only, unless there are no men, in which case women"), but the other half of your succession laws, which is almost certainly Gavelkind.

Gavelkind distributes your titles as evenly as possible between your inheriting kids; you have three duchy titles, so each kid will get one, with your primary heir getting "first pick." Counties will also be divided between them, but if your lands are all in your main duchy, then the 1st kid should keep them all (because the other two are taking duchies instead). It's really hard to predict what the game will consider "fair," but you can generally assume that your primary heir will get the main title of each tier, and everything else will be distributed essentially at random.

You may have closed it, but usually there's an alert up top with a broken shield that says "title loss on succession" and lists precisely who will get what.

Gavelkind is awful and makes playing an unreformed pagan miserable -- they can't switch to anything else (with some specific exceptions).

e: Also, as a general rule, it's better to give counties to people who currently don't own anything. Non-inheriting relatives are good, lowborn schlubs are good. The reason is that this keeps them individually weak; if all they ever hold is their one single county, then they don't have the strength to fight you.

Thanks. I'm just trying to plan what will happen. I currently have the Become King of Pomerania goal. My dude is 49 right now. I have 7 of the 16 (I think) territories in Pomerania. So if I get one or two more, it's possible, but it'll be close. If I manage that, it's much better for the succession, right? My first son becomes King and the other sons get what they get, but Son #1 is still the boss? So I feel like I'm on the verge of very clean or very messy.

Assuming I don't become King, is the best way to reconsolidate my territory, after my current guy dies, to murder my siblings so the titles succeed to me? Re-conquering them isn't the most efficient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah this particular problem will be fixed if you just give that county title to a lowborn with no land. Your problem here specifically is that you are attempting to give a mayor the title to the county, which will create a republic that you are not permitted at your current size. There's a lot of reasons for why this rule exists that I won't bother you with right now, but suffice it to say it's not bullshit.

Either create a noble via decision or find some landless idiot. That'll set you up.

Also, to be clear, I need to ask a really irritating question:

Look Sir Droids posted:

Okay, I'll check. But I'm pretty sure all of my vassals except for two are landless.
A vassal is a landed character who exists beneath you in the hierarchy, and therefore pays you monetary and levy taxes in return for political protection. A 'landless vassal' makes no sense. Did you mean courtiers?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Thanks. I'm just trying to plan what will happen. I currently have the Become King of Pomerania goal. My dude is 49 right now. I have 7 of the 16 (I think) territories in Pomerania. So if I get one or two more, it's possible, but it'll be close. If I manage that, it's much better for the succession, right? My first son becomes King and the other sons get what they get, but Son #1 is still the boss? So I feel like I'm on the verge of very clean or very messy.

Assuming I don't become King, is the best way to reconsolidate my territory, after my current guy dies, to murder my siblings so the titles succeed to me? Re-conquering them isn't the most efficient?

Getting the King title is definitely better as it gives you only one top level rank and will guarantee your realm will not shatter and your siblings will be your vassals rather than your equals. In that case, the most efficient way to re-unify the realm will not be to conquer them, because you can't declare war on your vassals. Instead, you'll simply wait for them to start plotting against you (which they absolutely will), and then try to arrest them. The two things that can happen from that point are that they'll either get imprisoned and you can throw them in the oubliette to encourage them to die quickly, or they'll escape and launch a rebellion, which you can put down. After the rebellion you can revoke 2 of their titles for free because they are a traitor. That's likely enough to get you your titles back.

That's if you decide you need their land, though. Truthfully, it's strictly optimal to stuff every level of government with your dynasts because it helps your dynasty prestige. High dynasty prestige is important because babies of your dynasty are born with 10% of that prestige, and AIs will find marriage with your dynasty more desirable. But that does make the game quite a bit harder in the short term because you can be one hundred percent guaranteed that your siblings will try to dick you over to exercise the claims they have.

If you die before you get the King title your next life is indeed going to be really messy. Your character currently has 3 ducal titles, and if those get doled out as-is, anyone who gets a duke title will be an independent nation with a claim on your nation. In this case, launching claim wars to dethrone your brothers will be the only real option.