Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Schubalts posted:

Does bricking someone into a wall count as a block?

Just grab the wine first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Story based climate adventures are without equals 😉

Okay, name two good ones. Preferably on Steam

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

poemdexter posted:

I've never wanted to punch someone so hard in my life. A global pandemic and all they can think about is how to make money from it.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ns-to-sue.shtml

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

gently caress these people so hard, they deserve worse than a punch.

"Sorry, you appear to be defective and we're issuing a manufacturer's recall." :guillotine:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Story based climate adventures are without equals 😉

Love review like this: "The Most Depressing Game I Have Played."

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1240778202475196416

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1240780617710624768

Twitter okaying the distribution of false information about Coronavirus to Musk's 32M followers.
:tif:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1240778202475196416

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1240780617710624768

Twitter okaying the distribution of false information about Coronavirus to Musk's 32M followers.
:tif:

Well, reading his language he states kids could contacting grandparents is highly risky. So it's not entirely incorrect. If he would have said Asymptomatic instead of "essentially immune", we wouldn't be calling it false.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Well, reading his language he states kids could contacting grandparents is highly risky. So it's not entirely incorrect. If he would have said Asymptomatic instead of "essentially immune", we wouldn't be calling it false.

So true. If he had made a factual statement instead of a false one, we wouldn’t be calling it false.

Really makes you think.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Baronash posted:

So true. If he had made a factual statement instead of a false one, we wouldn’t be calling it false.

Really makes you think.

I'm just thinking this is more of a language problem than a fact vs fiction problem.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

When Musk accused the diver who rescued those kids from that cave in Thailand of being a pedophile, that was just another example of a language problem.
:goonsay:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm just thinking this is more of a language problem than a fact vs fiction problem.

And you are incorrect.

Being incorrect, or just imprecise if you want to give it an unwarrantedly good slant, is low stakes on dead gay comedy forums. Not so much when you have 32 million followers on the platform you are spewing your poo poo on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lemme give the benefit of the doubt about the idiot that's been wrong about coronavirus constantly.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This is correct, if correct actually meant incorrect.

Think of it as a language problem.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
stop using twitter. This is an excellent example of why.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So Vice and Fast Company have both had articles about a company Athena Security. This company is claiming a fever analytic. Find cases of corona virus by looking at a screen. Except there are some issues. First is the marketing material on their website is pictures from other products that they added a red bounding box and some text to. Also those images are from products that aren't theirs. Or in one case, they use a picture and testimonial from a company that no only isn't a client but filed a cease and desist order against them. And they have a couple of previous start ups with shady histories. The sales numbers they give are insane by industry standards. Those are thing are things I think it's pretty reasonable for a journalist to find. Most are just reverse image searches and looking at the wayback machine for a moment. But there are some other issues too. They are getting their cameras from a company called Hikvision which government agencies are prohibited from buying under the NDAA. And the model they are getting isn't remotely suitable for this task. It's accuracy is plus or minus 14 degrees. So it's accuracy is poo poo.

It's a scam to drive sales to a company whose other product is sketchy on it's best days by taking advantage of panic. And it drives me nuts that tech journalists are just glorified PR hacks.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

NaanViolence posted:

:hai:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

NaanViolence posted:

Making tweets auto embed and allowing people to make posts that are nothing but tweet links is one of the worst things to happen to these forums

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Booourns posted:

Making tweets auto embed and allowing people to make posts that are nothing but tweet links is one of the worst things to happen to these forums

:toot:

https://twitter.com/noamscheiber/status/1242618624541671430

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Booourns posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1240930345639276544

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thomamelas posted:

So Vice and Fast Company have both had articles about a company Athena Security. This company is claiming a fever analytic. Find cases of corona virus by looking at a screen. Except there are some issues. First is the marketing material on their website is pictures from other products that they added a red bounding box and some text to. Also those images are from products that aren't theirs. Or in one case, they use a picture and testimonial from a company that no only isn't a client but filed a cease and desist order against them. And they have a couple of previous start ups with shady histories. The sales numbers they give are insane by industry standards. Those are thing are things I think it's pretty reasonable for a journalist to find. Most are just reverse image searches and looking at the wayback machine for a moment. But there are some other issues too. They are getting their cameras from a company called Hikvision which government agencies are prohibited from buying under the NDAA. And the model they are getting isn't remotely suitable for this task. It's accuracy is plus or minus 14 degrees. So it's accuracy is poo poo.

It's a scam to drive sales to a company whose other product is sketchy on it's best days by taking advantage of panic. And it drives me nuts that tech journalists are just glorified PR hacks.

That sounds like sponsored content rather than real articles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Small mercies:

Can you imagine how many people Elizabeth Holmes would be killing right now if her Ponzi scheme hadn’t been exposed before 2020?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That sounds like sponsored content rather than real articles.

It's not listed as sponsored content and it's in with their corona virus reporting. And it doesn't read as copy and paste of PR copy that sponsored stuff usually reads like.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thomamelas posted:

And it drives me nuts that tech journalists are just glorified PR hacks.

Actual headline in today's New York Times:

quote:

Will Our Most Important Industry Survive the Coronavirus?

Governments need Big Tech now more than ever.

Kara Swisher, ladies and germs.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Oh no not Airbnb and Über. How will civilized society ever recover.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Actual headline in today's New York Times:

Kara Swisher, ladies and germs.

To be fair, that's the NYT Opinions section, which I feel is just a platform for idiots and chuds. Which I guess by extension, the NYT is a platform for idiots and chuds.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GrandpaPants posted:

To be fair, that's the NYT Opinions section, which I feel is just a platform for idiots and chuds. Which I guess by extension, the NYT is a platform for idiots and chuds.

Agreed, but Kara Swisher is a technology reporter for the Times, so that speaks to tech journalism.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yelp pissing off restaurant owners, again:

https://sf.eater.com/2020/3/27/21197236/yelp-dna-gofundme-wrecking-ball-coronavirus

Is Yelp the most parasitic site for restaurants?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GrandpaPants posted:

Yelp pissing off restaurant owners, again:

https://sf.eater.com/2020/3/27/21197236/yelp-dna-gofundme-wrecking-ball-coronavirus

Is Yelp the most parasitic site for restaurants?

Aren't they the ones that created fake websites of their clients to guarantee a cut of orders?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booourns posted:

This poster speaks wisdom.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Booourns posted:

I just wish it worked like the old link filter where it won't let you post the same link more than once a thread. On top of that sone additional text should be required.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mister Facetious posted:

Aren't they the ones that created fake websites of their clients to guarantee a cut of orders?

I thought they bought google listings to prevent redirects, but yeah.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm not sure about fake websites, but I believe they did create fake phone numbers that redirected to the real one, but still gave them a cut of the profit.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Karia posted:

I'm not sure about fake websites, but I believe they did create fake phone numbers that redirected to the real one, but still gave them a cut of the profit.

Yeah, it was phone numbers, so that Grubhub could bill them for marketing costs.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjwebw/yelp-is-sneakily-replacing-restaurants-phone-numbers-so-grubhub-can-take-a-cut

Edit: Actually, looks like they were doing websites too!

https://thecounter.org/grubhub-domain-purchases-thousands-shadow-sites/

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 28, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
E: nvm, that's GrubHub not Yelp.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sundae posted:

Yeah, it was phone numbers, so that Grubhub could bill them for marketing costs.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjwebw/yelp-is-sneakily-replacing-restaurants-phone-numbers-so-grubhub-can-take-a-cut

Edit: Actually, looks like they were doing websites too!

https://thecounter.org/grubhub-domain-purchases-thousands-shadow-sites/

This is completely insane. It's anti-competitive and rent-seeking. How has GrubHub not been sued into oblivion because of this?

I'm never doing business with GrubHub ever again. And Yelp is actively collaborating with them on this.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

E: nvm, that's GrubHub not Yelp.

Grubhub has some sort of partnership with Yelp. They're in on that together.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Sundae posted:

Grubhub has some sort of partnership with Yelp. They're in on that together.

Yeah, Yelp's delivery service is just an extension of GrubHub.

I don't know if I can really just stop using Yelp though. Which service would be better for finding reviews? Google reviews are a joke. Foursquare?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's remarkable how much of SV "innovation" is "how to seek rent without owning property."

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Yeah, Yelp's delivery service is just an extension of GrubHub.

I don't know if I can really just stop using Yelp though. Which service would be better for finding reviews? Google reviews are a joke. Foursquare?

have you tried going to the place and trying the food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Oneiros posted:

have you tried going to the place and trying the food?

You jest, but I'd rather not get sick or waste money on a crappy experience.

Even without Yelp, people have always asked each other "what did you think of this place"? People want to avoid bad experiences, obviously. Yelp provides a service by aggregating reviews. The way it does it however is clearly bad for restaurants.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 28, 2020