Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Just got an email from our site boss, he wants to lock up all our facemasks and gloves so no one steals them but things will keep going(paraphrasing) "as normal to minimise the impact on the business".
He can work from home so that's good I guess.

Love having some political thoughts really crystalise over this pandemic :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why is that? The ICU's haven't failed yet. Are our olds just really unhealthy compared to the continent? I can really see it being that.

We've stopped community testing, and are now only testing people presenting at hospitals with severe symptoms. The recorded mortality rate is going up because we're only testing the people most likely to die.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Is there a decent, concise source of information which will make people start taking this loving thing seriously? My office (which has today, thankfully, shut) yesterday was full of people chortling about how they're safe / it's just a bad cold etc., and there was, I poo poo you not, a whole table full of communal snacks and treats laid out in the kitchen which everyone was cheerfully helping themselves to... All while the entire planet is shutting down, and every government in the world, even loving OURS, is telling people to stay the gently caress away from each other.

Similarly, we had a family get together planned for this weekend, and my wife and I figured that we probably shouldn't go... The rest of my family, however, are still going ahead (and still planning on going out for a meal) on the basis of 'well we're all sensible intelligent people, and have pragmatically decided that WE can just do what we want because obviously it's safe.'

The problem is, people don't respond well if you try and honestly explain why life CAN'T go on as normal, and why they CANT just carry on doing what they want... They feel attacked, patronised, belittled, insulted...

Ugh, sorry for the rant... Any links, vids etc which have a proven track record of being able to get through to people would be hugely appreciated.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but that still raises the question of why deaths are going up very quickly.

Though I suspect it's because the government has done nothing to slow the rate of infection so it's spreading faster than elsewhere, which because they aren't testing, will only show up in deaths.

As I pointed out before, the UK* is spectacularly crowded compared to other countries in its weight class. We were always going to have a higher rate of infection than, say, Italy. Almost 1% of the population of the entire country goes through Waterloo station every day, and on a normal day more than 1% of the country would be on the London Underground in the next half hour or so.

Incidentally is there any data yet on how much climate affects the virus? This cold, damp country is normally party time for respiratory infections.

* Glancing at a map you might be tempted to say "Well actually England is crowded, the rest of the UK has loads of elbow room" but in Scotland people outside the Lowlands are basically a rounding error, and 20% of the population lives in Greater Glasgow. In Wales basically the entire population is crammed into the strip on the south coast, and almost a third of the population is accounted for by Cardiff, Swansea, and the Rhondda Valley. Almost half of the population of Northern Ireland is in Greater Belfast. Industrialisation and then deindustrialisation has basically turned the UK into a series of petri dishes with gently caress-all between them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's still so surreal that having never really left my corner of the UK which is apparently one of the least populous parts, I have a wildly different view of what the UK is like.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

The Perfect Element posted:

Is there a decent, concise source of information which will make people start taking this loving thing seriously? My office (which has today, thankfully, shut) yesterday was full of people chortling about how they're safe / it's just a bad cold etc., and there was, I poo poo you not, a whole table full of communal snacks and treats laid out in the kitchen which everyone was cheerfully helping themselves to... All while the entire planet is shutting down, and every government in the world, even loving OURS, is telling people to stay the gently caress away from each other.

Similarly, we had a family get together planned for this weekend, and my wife and I figured that we probably shouldn't go... The rest of my family, however, are still going ahead (and still planning on going out for a meal) on the basis of 'well we're all sensible intelligent people, and have pragmatically decided that WE can just do what we want because obviously it's safe.'

The problem is, people don't respond well if you try and honestly explain why life CAN'T go on as normal, and why they CANT just carry on doing what they want... They feel attacked, patronised, belittled, insulted...

Ugh, sorry for the rant... Any links, vids etc which have a proven track record of being able to get through to people would be hugely appreciated.

Unfortunately, we're probably going to have to wait until somebody famous (by which I mean front page of the Sun famous) dies of it for many people to take it seriously. My area is a prime example. We have a lot of second homes and no official infections, so we've been innundated with people coming in to the area and treating the whole thing as a big holiday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-51937753

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Soylent Yellow posted:

We have a lot of second homes and no official infections, so we've been innundated with people coming in to the area and treating the whole thing as a big holiday.
I'm not saying that you should commit arson, but,

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It's still so surreal that having never really left my corner of the UK which is apparently one of the least populous parts, I have a wildly different view of what the UK is like.

OwlFancier watching the first five minutes of 28 Days Later: "loving hell, must be the rush hour I've heard so much about in That London".

Trades
Aug 3, 2013
It is impressive/terrifying how far ahead of the curve London is. We’ve got multiple COVID wards, and better yet a good number of the patients I’m treating picked it up inside the hospital.

My contract ends shortly and I don’t think I have the resolve to see this through. I don’t think I can cope with the added trauma, especially when it feels like we’ve been left to rot both locally and nationally. Pretty selfish regardless, right?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Borrovan posted:

I'm not saying that you should commit arson, but,

"Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, Englishman's holiday home on fire" -traditional welsh proverb.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

OwlFancier watching the first five minutes of 28 Days Later: "loving hell, must be the rush hour I've heard so much about in That London".

No lie, while I know it's unthinkable for london, just the general image of urban areas being deserted to me is just "yeah it's after five, it does that"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

No lie, while I know it's unthinkable for london, just the general image of urban areas being deserted to me is just "yeah it's after five, it does that"

The absolute wildest thing about this to me is that if I ever see a high street with no people I just assume the world has ended, and yet I still have far more in common with you than basically anyone who lives in Zone 1 in London.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

My road at 3am on any day would be "oh god something has happened, why is everyone up" in your area

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I live in Zone 1 and every day is like Sunday morning now. It's kinda ominous.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If anything that opening of 28 Days Later is way scarier to me than any of the later scenes. Back when it first opened I would avoid the shopping area under Canary Wharf (and Canary Wharf tube station itself) at weekends because they were deserted, and being the only person in an area designed for thousands of people is really loving weird and agoraphobia-inducing in a way that's impossible to explain to a non-city-dweller.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Same. I’m in Aberdeen, which is the only other part of Scotland with any significant population, and even that isn’t very busy.

Aberdeen population density : 1.1k/sq km
Glasgow : 3.4k/sq km
London : 4.5k/sq km

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oodles posted:

Same. I’m in Aberdeen, which is the only other part of Scotland with any significant population, and even that isn’t very busy.

Aberdeen population density : 1.1k/sq km
Glasgow : 3.4k/sq km
London : 4.5k/sq km

And even that number is deeply skewed by the suburbs and green belt - Inner London is nearer 10k, and as I've mentioned enough for people to get bored with, if the new buildings south of Canary Wharf are ever occupied (the first one is coming onto the market April 1, great timing) the square kilometre between Middle Dock and Millwall Outer Dock will have over 100k people living there.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Necrothatcher posted:

I live in Zone 1 and every day is like Sunday morning now. It's kinda ominous.

I apologise for generalising about everyone in zone 1 (zone 2 4 lyfe)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It has gotten a lot quieter here at the moment. No-one appears to be up.

Zone 2/3 Crew!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If anything that opening of 28 Days Later is way scarier to me than any of the later scenes. Back when it first opened I would avoid the shopping area under Canary Wharf (and Canary Wharf tube station itself) at weekends because they were deserted, and being the only person in an area designed for thousands of people is really loving weird and agoraphobia-inducing in a way that's impossible to explain to a non-city-dweller.

Well that's the thing, it's quite normal to me to see that. A lot of our town center was built for when the town had about 30 thousand more people living in it. Since then it's depopulated and the general die off of the high street and you quite often see infrastructure that's clearly designed to be rammed being a lot less busy. It can get busy, but most of the time it's a lot emptier than it probably "should" be.

But by the same token I like that, it's a very comfortable people:space proportion for me, which is visible when I go to edinburgh and loving hate it because it's all people and buildings and cars 24/7 and it's all rammed into not enough space. Especially the pedestrianized sections of boro I really like, cos it's not too big to the point it feels weird, but the streets are really wide and it scales very well, so even if it's a busy day it's not uncomfortable. I think more than anything that's something that makes me like pedestrianized areas, with big pavements and minimal car access. To me that's what I think of when I think of human scaled spaces, cities are very oppressive, but I don't feel any more out of place in town centers than I do on the moor or wherever. It feels like at some point you just hit like a critical mass of people rammed into one place and it gets... really unpleasant.

I don't know if it's claustrophobia, it's just draining in a way I can't really describe, I feel like... the world was meant to be empty, I guess. Empty human built places don't bother me at all, any more than empty natural spaces do, but crowded spaces do.

It's also funny living in a place that was built more or less from the ground up because of the railway.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 18, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

Zone 2/3 Crew!

Lol look at this pretender trying to get the best of both.

Zone 3 is where it's at pick a side

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

All of the casual staff and FTC folks got let go / not renewed yesterday, which is something like 60% of our workforce. It's going to be tough for them given that they cant just walk next door to pick up some hours because loving everything is closed. Building is sealed up except to my department to keep things ticking over and the security guys. Its kind of eerie with all the offices deserted and the place being so quiet. It's planned to be like this for 4 weeks and then reviewed but it feels like its going to drag on forever. Stay safe london goons.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Got in the supermarket at the crack to pick some things up and they were already down to the wire on loo roll and pasta, and cleared out of soap and paracetamol. I assume this means they just didn't get restocked since the car park isn't nearly busy enough to support that kind of mad scramble in the first five minutes of opening so... perhaps actually a good sign that there was still some left over from yesterday?

I've also suddenly developed a severe intolerance to something and am spending half of every day on the loo, which is really just fantastic timing by my stupid piece of poo poo body, thanks very much for that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
London can gently caress off imo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jose posted:

London can gently caress off imo

Come live on the south coast/best coast, there’s nothing like the wide open spaces and small, sparsely populated cities

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

I've also suddenly developed a severe intolerance to something and am spending half of every day on the loo, which is really just fantastic timing by my stupid piece of poo poo body, thanks very much for that.

In my experience a lack of toilet roll causes diarrhoea. Could be that?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

crispix posted:

Why do people go to gyms anyway. House weights are good. You can lift them in your pants and watch TV in comfort. No people to judge you and no mirrors anywhere so you don't have to see your own disgusting, straining face

Few reasons.

- They have lots of equipment that's incredibly expensive to buy and there's only so much you can do with dumb bells.
- Work out classes.
- It provides a place I feel compelled to actually put in an effort once I'm there and the fact I'm paying for it compels me to go.
- House exercise I found I put in barely any effort and often forgot i was working out between sets while watching tv.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Just lol if you're still going to gyms, the filthiest place on earth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Rub Rabbits on DS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And even that number is deeply skewed by the suburbs and green belt - Inner London is nearer 10k, and as I've mentioned enough for people to get bored with, if the new buildings south of Canary Wharf are ever occupied (the first one is coming onto the market April 1, great timing) the square kilometre between Middle Dock and Millwall Outer Dock will have over 100k people living there.
This is where pandemics come from.

We're at about 500 people/sq km (or 2 people per acre in non city people units), and it still feels too much with the number of houses and loss of green space and resource strain. There's areas that get crowded too but I think that's city people come to stare at our bridge and vegetables.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
It still sort of feels like Corbyn is the 'real' PM doesn't it? Boris has hosed it, the leadership candidates (except Burgon) have all flopped, the Tories are privately admitting that Labour's manifesto is basically the only thing that can save us and once again JC is looking like the only adult in the room. The prospect of him leaving in the middle of all this is a terrifying thought.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I really don't think him leaving is going to be helpful right now.

I especially dread what mush brained starmer would be doing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

We're at about 500 people/sq km (or 2 people per acre in non city people units), and it still feels too much with the number of houses and loss of green space and resource strain. There's areas that get crowded too but I think that's city people come to stare at our bridge and vegetables.

If you want to avoid the loss of green space it's either cramming more people into the same space or killing people.

e: Also:

Guavanaut posted:

This is where pandemics come from.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think we know which one the government has decided on with their 'lack of testing means it isn't happening' plan.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

HopperUK posted:

One guy today asked if we could text him when we get more hand sanitizer in. No. No we cannot.

Read in the local news that they have done tests and regularly washing your hands with hard bar soap is the best way to kill corona. Dry hard bar soap is apparently more effective than liquid soap.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Feeling pretty vindicated in my bulk purchase of carbolic soap last year.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

When Attenborough dies that will sink in. Shame more people will mourn him on social media than pick up the phone and chat to their nan.

Feel dreadful today, maybe 4 days in? Keep losing track oftime. Have this obsessive thought that this must be what wearing cardassian makeup all day is, my neck and shoulders have seized up, my heads split in two, keep coughing all the time, I'm hot as gently caress. Thought the symptoms were easing off yesterday but nope.

also getting bored of telling people I think I have it then them asking if I've been tested and having to explain you only get tested if you're in hospital

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao someone put a social distancing notice up on a meeting room door while the room was packed full of people

It also talks about leaving spaces between computers for safety but there are way too many people for that to be possible

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Coronavirus and ibuprofen: Separating fact from fiction:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51929628

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Jose posted:

Lmao someone put a social distancing notice up on a meeting room door while the room was packed full of people

It also talks about leaving spaces between computers for safety but there are way too many people for that to be possible

Just saw a bus go past, slightly reduced occupancy. But still full of loving olds sitting next to each other.