Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Truga posted:

i didn't read this thread since january and i'm getting whiplash from dumbass shitposters making GBS threads on china just a couple pages ago to them completely disappearing from the thread now lmao

don't worry i'm still here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Truga posted:

i didn't read this thread since january and i'm getting whiplash from dumbass shitposters making GBS threads on china just a couple pages ago to them completely disappearing from the thread now lmao

Whatever, you're here acting like this is some football game where it matters who gets the most points, China or America and that's a really loving dumb way to go about things. America fucks up everything all the time, it's a fuckup country everyone knows that. Chinas a different country doing its own thing, believe it or not they're capable of loving up too The bullshit in the beginning was completely a fuckup by China. The delay in acting on it is likely a big part of how this got so out of control to begin with. The extreme response was not a fuckup, and I'm glad they did it. It's totally possible for both of those things to be true at the same time, or true regardless of America's reaction.

But you're over here acting like this is "your team" like a loser or some bullshit, and so what's the point even talking in this thread? The only dumbass I can think of off the top of my head who's like that the other way around is that fojar guy. Guess there aren't too many of his opposites left either, they all got ran off for being into crazy fascist poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao, yes how terrible it was that china followed who guidelines since the beginning of february when the shitposts i talked about happened. truly some awful autocratic poo poo.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
China has took two weeks from identifying it as novel Coronavirus to shutting Wuhan completely down... it comparison it has taken the US over 2 months to take almost any action.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Hubei government hosed up tho that is true, but national government basically set the standard and Taiwan Korea and I guess Singapore showed the world what to do now that the info was out there

and the world did not do what it was shown to do at all

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Truga posted:

lmao, yes how terrible it was that china followed who guidelines since the beginning of february when the shitposts i talked about happened. truly some awful autocratic poo poo.

You don't remember what it was like.... All of January?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i was in the united states for february and thought it was really ridiculous how no matter what new thing was going on with the virus the only thing the media wanted to talk about was how evil china was for putting that doctor in jail back in december they made it sound like that was literally the only factor escalating the crisis at all so color me loving shocked that the american government completely hosed up the response even though they had months in advance to plan for it

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BrainDance posted:

it was identified like Jan 3 and lockdown was Jan 23 iirc, about 3 weeks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BrainDance posted:

yeah they went through full 3-4 weeks of denial. it was pretty lame.

meanwhile, almost every else is still practising denial while china went and fixed their bullshit, and they got called authoritarian for it.
e;fb

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The fact that there was, like, any delay at all in the response, combined with all the media stories about WHISTLEBLOWER DOCTOR JAILED BY AUTHORITIES is going to be all the ammo foreign policy hawks and reactionaries are ever going to need to blame this whole thing on China.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BrainDance posted:

That was several millennia ago, tbf

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Modest Mao posted:

it was identified like Jan 3 and lockdown was Jan 23 iirc, about 3 weeks

We could say a lot of things about why it was identified January 3rd and not earlier, or about whether 3 weeks is good time to respond or not, or if it would have been possible or reasonable to do one thing or another faster or better and how, etc.

But what's it matter you got your mind made up regardless of all of that. Could have been 3 months instead of 3 weeks you'd be saying the same poo poo.

I get it though, I'm kinda the same way with UofM, UofM is always better that State no matter what gently caress State.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Truga posted:

meanwhile, almost every else is still practising denial while china went and fixed their bullshit, and they got called authoritarian for it.
e;fb

Right? States suck.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Truga posted:

e;fb

It wasn’t that long, the Coronavirus was identified on Jan 7 and Wuhan was fully locked down on the 23rd. It had been going around before that but it was being misdiagnosed since it was novel.

In hindsight they should have acted quicker than they did but then you look at the rest of the world.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BrainDance posted:

We could say a lot of things about why it was identified January 3rd and not earlier, or about whether 3 weeks is good time to respond or not, or if it would have been possible or reasonable to do one thing or another faster or better and how, etc.

But what's it matter you got your mind made up regardless of all of that. Could have been 3 months instead of 3 weeks you'd be saying the same poo poo.

I get it though, I'm kinda the same way with UofM, UofM is always better that State no matter what gently caress State.

I actually went to state lmao

go green

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BrainDance posted:

Could have been 3 months instead of 3 weeks you'd be saying the same poo poo.

yeah, that's exactly the problem. no matter what way china went on this, same bunch of people are making GBS threads on it from both angles.

lackluster response? look at those crazy chinese letting an epidemic get out of hand
proper response? loot at those crazy chinese and their dictatorships
so:

gradenko_2000 posted:

The fact that there was, like, any delay at all in the response, combined with all the media stories about WHISTLEBLOWER DOCTOR JAILED BY AUTHORITIES is going to be all the ammo foreign policy hawks and reactionaries are ever going to need to blame this whole thing on China.
this is true but the opposite is also somehow true.

even *with* the stupid delay, same foreign policy hawks are also using the, as news put it, "draconian measures" talking point. it's shitposts all the day down. i don't give two fucks about the chinese state itself one way or another, but i can call out people posting right wing talking points anyway.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Modest Mao posted:

I actually went to state lmao

go green

Well, that explains why we cant see eye to eye.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that acronym is lost on me my mind jumped to university of loving massachusetts but somehow that doesnt seem right

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I grew up in Minnesota and people call UMN "UofM" as well and it's very dumb

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

And I guess saying "State" didn't help narrow it down either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BrainDance posted:

And I guess saying "State" didn't help narrow it down either.

Nah, any American should know immediately what UofM vs State means

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Truga posted:

e;fb

Well I mean China is authoritarian, and that reaction was authoritarian.

It also appears to have been appropriate, and to have worked (given current information), so it was the correct response. But these characteristics add, not cancel.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think people are looking at it in a big scoop. This is the next world war fought between Global South and Global South, between East and the West. The mega plague will effect every business inside your country and all your financial institutes just as much as a total war; it's bigger than the 2008 financial crisis; it will kill just as many people or more than each World War. Fortunately the Boomers are finally get to sent to the front line.

The kind of war chest Trump is talking about and planning to use, basically will mortgage the next 20 years, or longer of the US. The fallout of the plague will affect the realignment of the global supply chain just as much as a war.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Edit: Never mind, I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Atopian has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Mar 18, 2020

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
if only the world started doing things the china way, like locking sick people off the street in a metal box or welding apartment entrances shut.

instead we are advised to self isolate and flatten the curve like idiots!!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Modest Mao posted:

I grew up in Minnesota and people call UMN "UofM" as well and it's very dumb

What the gently caress

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kill All Cops posted:

if only the world started doing things the china way, like locking sick people off the street in a metal box or welding apartment entrances shut.

it doesn't matter if millions die, my liberalism must not be questioned

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

What the gently caress

what, it's official name is University of Minnesota

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Kill All Cops posted:

hey unrelated but why did you name change yourself to kill all cops after having a meltdown ITT about acab being a slur

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kill All Cops posted:

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1240354656494268419?s=19

Actually yes that is precisely what we should be doing

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Varinn posted:

hey unrelated but why did you name change yourself to kill all cops after having a meltdown ITT about acab being a slur

lol if u think that was a meltdown tell that to the guy who got mad about pepe in the first place

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Varinn posted:

I think he got his name changed by mods or something.

Which sucks cuz it's an awesome name and I want it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

when china's right, its right

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
WELDS CURES CORONA

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
heres this guy who's spend pages and pages bitching about hk cops, and now he's melting down about the use of acab,

((i'm a literate person btw))

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Homeless Friend posted:

Yeah, there were missteps along the way (the welding doors shut stuff, but I really am not sure how common that was.) But the way at least some of the provinces handled it, it's not like there was much of a choice.

The central government could have spent more effort in effectively fighting it though, but I guess as long as the provinces get the responsibility they can also get the blame if they fail. Seems to be the same issue America is having fighting it, too. It's all on the states cuz the federal gov ain't gonna do poo poo for them

The opposite is true though, too. When Chinas wrong...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Pretty sure welding doors shut was just some local party official being a dumbass and trying to look busy. It definitely wasn't the actual solution, the main thing was setting up a bunch of giant coronavirus wards for isolate anybody infected from anybody else. Also testing a million people at once to actually detect the virus.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Well, no poo poo. But that right there is one of the major issues with the way Chinese government is structured. The government that is actually relevant to people's daily lives is often insanely corrupt or just awful in general, and the mechanisms for managing this with the central government honestly don't work.

They're useful scapegoats though.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Legitimate criticism, but this is a general problem with federalism and stuff like that.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Homeless Friend posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Atopian posted:

Legitimate criticism, but this is a general problem with federalism and stuff like that.

I wouldn't disagree.