Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Did anyone see that article where members of the Vintners association were saying that if they close the pubs, that a load of them would permanently go out of business?

Unlike all the other businesses that are facing the reality that with a lockdown they can't be open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Should have shut the pubs on Friday. The same people who'd ignore the problem and go Cheltenham are the same people who'd go pub Friday and Saturday night.

I'd say all those people in Temple Bar last night brought home an infection. And not the usual one you'd pick up after a night out in Temple Bar.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

a.k.a "Crowhn's Disease"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I am sure everyone has seen this, but in case they haven't, the government is making it easier for people who can't work due to the virus to claim Jobseekers.

See here.

https://www.jobalert.ie/blog/dept-of-employment-affairs-and-social-protection-notcie-14-march-

If you are signed up online I would recommend doing it that way

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
To be fair to our government and civil servants they are doing a pretty good job here. Relatively ahead of the curve in enacting stuff, and lots of good measure like this emergency welfare coming on-stream quickly. They seem to be handling crisis management a lot better than certain other English speaking countries.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Croke Park decision has the look of an actual competent policy, will wait to see how they balls that up

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Blut posted:

They seem to be handling crisis management a lot better than certain other English speaking countries.

Well, god knows they don't have stiff competition.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You know ten days before the entire country's rent is due would be a great time to freeze rents for a while...

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

You know ten days before the entire country's rent due would be a great time to freeze rents for a while...

Even the Tories are giving a rent/mortgage freeze, the Tories! .

Wouldn't put it past Leo or FG to not give much though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Even the Tories are giving a rent/mortgage freeze, the Tories! .

Wouldn't put it past Leo or FG to not give much though.

When the rioting starts it'd be on their heads. For a subset of this country this is all a big laugh and it makes me so angry.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

When the rioting starts it'd be on their heads. For a subset of this country this is all a big laugh and it makes me so angry.

I hear you. I'm self employed and I have had to take a massive hit work wise. Thankfully I have contract work to fall back on and the missus works from home and has a secure job.

Still, FG/FF or whome ever gets in needs to sort something ASAP.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Minister for Finance expects any Landlord availing of mortgage amnesty to do the same for their rent.

Auuugghhhhh just make them do it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Translation: They don't expect them to do it at all but don't want to say that.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would contest they make a big fuss about providing measures, which they do follow through on.

But accessing these measures is only through hellish amounts of red tape like every other benefit FG grudgingly introduced.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Anyone had a look on daft lately?
Thousands of properties available to rent across Dublin city at the moment. Whole blocks in the docklands with hundreds of units each up for rent by American Real Estate companies.
Hundreds of nice studios across D8 and D6 available now, studios in those areas used to be rarer than hens teeth.

The landlords are so desperate some of the ads are offering the first month or even two months rent free.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

Anyone had a look on daft lately?
Thousands of properties available to rent across Dublin city at the moment. Whole blocks in the docklands with hundreds of units each up for rent by American Real Estate companies.
Hundreds of nice studios across D8 and D6 available now, studios in those areas used to be rarer than hens teeth.

The landlords are so desperate some of the ads are offering the first month or even two months rent free.

loving lol. Choke on your loses you vulcher fucks.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Does it mean people were evicted or they were just being used for short term or what?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Does it mean people were evicted or they were just being used for short term or what?

it means that, instead of sitting on vacants and airbnbs and watching their value go up, landlords want to lock in rents as high as they can get before the market gets worse for them

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hmmm just signed contracts for a house in the last month, waiting for closing date, and was sort of assuming that landlord would let us out of our lease in less than the required ~100 days because they could get way more money renting our flat to someone else.

Now... uhhh gently caress I dunno. Guess I'll try to delay closing as long as possible without getting into legal action with the vendor. Should probably discuss with my solicitor.

Not the worst that could be happening obviously, just a pain in the hole

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I had to pay 6 months in the same situation. If you signed up for a fixed length contract you're not going to get out of it unless your landlord isn't an absolute oval office which we all know is something that isn't possible. My advice is just get it over with and move into your own place as soon as you can.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I had to pay 6 months in the same situation. If you signed up for a fixed length contract you're not going to get out of it unless your landlord isn't an absolute oval office which we all know is something that isn't possible. My advice is just get it over with and move into your own place as soon as you can.

Well I'm in a part 4 tenancy so there's no way I'm paying 6 months, 112 days is the statutory max.

But I think I'm just gonna take my chances with the extremely backed-up PRTB if they act the bollocks

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

I'm guessing based off the locations and photos of the apartments, is that they were being used full time on Airbnb. But with all the travel restrictions and drop in tourists they are trying to get in tenants rather than lose out on a month or two of tourist income.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Marenghi posted:

I'm guessing based off the locations and photos of the apartments, is that they were being used full time on Airbnb. But with all the travel restrictions and drop in tourists they are trying to get in tenants rather than lose out on a month or two of tourist income.

Thats hilarious (and fantastic). The coronavirus solving Dublin's airbnb problem is one positive to come out of this whole thing anyway.

It does also show how ineffectual the government's timid attempts at regulation of the sector really were.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
The regulation was completely ineffective.
Judging by the number of units in Capital Docks offered by one company, they had more Airbnbs in that building alone than there was applications for short term lettings in the entire of Dublin.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seems like there is going to be a rental decrease as landlords run to get tenants.

Tentively I reckon there will be a drastic drop in home equity also.

Fun times.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If this poo poo wasn't so bad I'd say it's good.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

quote:

HE Covid-19 crisis has led to an increase in properties for rent.

It is thought that a number of landlords have withdrawn their rentals from short-term listing sites like Airbnb and are offering them into the market instead.

The volume of rental stock in Dublin central is up 64pc alone, according to property website Daft.ie.

Rental adverts are up 13pc nationally in March. But most of that increase is concentrated in Dublin. Many of the capital city properties are what tend to be offered for the short-term rental market, one and two-bed properties in the city centres.

As Airbnb is a large platform for short-term listings it seems highly probable that many of the new rental stock seen on Daft.ie was previously posted on Airbnb, Daft.ie said.

This segment has seen a 64pc rise in listings since the start of the month. There have been almost 400 adverts so far, compared with 242 in the same period last year.

Economist Ronan Lyons, of Trinity College Dublin, said the increase in the number of properties advertised for rent so far in March is likely to be related to the collapse in tourism and thus the fall in demand for short-term rentals.

“Most of the country has seen almost no change in properties advertised to rent, compared to a year ago. But the number of smaller properties in central Dublin, where demand for short-term lets is concentrated, has grown by almost two thirds.”

Close to 400 one and two-bed properties were advertised in under three weeks, up 150 from the same period last year.

Prof Lyons said the scale is still small compared to overall need. The Dublin rental market typically needs 1,000 homes a week to keep rents affordable.

“Thus, while a one-off shift from the short-term to long-term rental market may be welcome news for many, it does not change the huge underlying need to build new rental homes,” he added.

https://www.independent.ie/business...t-39061809.html

A 64% increase in available Dublin rental properties :aaa:

gently caress the airbnb landlords and the people who defended them as "not making a significant difference to the rental market".

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blut posted:

https://www.independent.ie/business...t-39061809.html

A 64% increase in available Dublin rental properties :aaa:

gently caress the airbnb landlords and the people who defended them as "not making a significant difference to the rental market".

I also think they are under reporting, I'd say there still plenty of properties who will try hold out until this "blows over".

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
It's strange how far things have progressed in a few weeks.
How lackadaisical some people and the government were about it. No one would hold cheltenham now but back then thousands of people were still going to it.

I've been very worried about it for my pregnant wife and kids. Was making excuses to work from home the few days before my office made that policy.

Despite all that we had to travel to Immigration to renew my wives visa. The appointment was on Friday the 13th. I had a bad feeling about it but wasn't going to cancel over a superstition.
Especially as I rang the department the day before and asked if appointments were still going on, they said they were and failure to renew could lead to the loss of child benefit and other supplemental welfare payments in her name.

Went down anyway and it was a waste of time, the person processing the claim said we were missing a document even though it wasn't on the list of required documents in the email. They told us to come back in two weeks with that new document. I asked what about Coronavirus, they said as far as they know it's business as usual until told otherwise.

The week after that a very mild cold went through the family, didn't get tested but I've been wondering if it was corona virus or just a unfortunately timed cold.

The appointment was the following Monday, went down to find a sign on the door saying they are closed for the virus. Received no email notice that our appointment was cancelled. Checked the website and they only updated in the Saturday two days previous.

Leaving the city and my wife had terrible stomach pains, she said she had some in the morning too but didn't want to mention until after the appointment. Went back to Rotunda and she was waiting a few hours to be checked out which confirmed the worst. It could have just been that unlucky low percentage of births that miscarry in the first trimester. But I'm guilt ridden after taking all those precautions that I didn't also cancel the appointment.

I was looking forward to the memories we'd make in the year ahead. The announcement, the picking of a name, the birth. Instead whenever I think of my unborn I'll be left with memories of the mundane, disinterested malice I experience from immigration whenever I have the misfortune of having to deal with them.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm so so sorry to hear that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I’m sorry to hear that Marenghi.

My wife and I lost our daughter last year. She would be almost ten months old now, and we spend a lot of time wondering what life would be like with her with us in this lockdown.

It absolutely sucks what has happened to you and your family. I know it’s going to be really hard, but the important thing is to never blame yourself over what happened. It wasn’t your fault.

There are some good resources out there for bereaved parents in Ireland.
There is a Little Lifetime Foundation and feileacan (The Irish word for Butterfly.) And if you want to hear other stories of people who have gone through similar things (and it sounds like the last thing people would want but it can really help) you can search for Rainbow Babies, the term used for children that were gone way too soon.

Little Lifetime Foundation have a facebook page and they are still trying to organise online meetups even during all this. Take care of yourself and your family in this hard time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Very sorry to hear that, man.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 27, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sorry to hear Marenghi.
Brother lost his first kid like this last year, and one our 'family secrets' was that I am not the oldest child of our family.
I should have had an older brother, about 2 years old than me. But he was lost in the same way.
I sometimes wonder what that would be like.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Thats terrible news Marenghi, I'm sorry to hear.

Its probably not really going to help you much, but this is some very positive corona news that might lift the mood of the thread (and possibly you, even slightly):

A working group of Italian doctors from the Italian Istituto Superiore di Sanità (Higher Institute of Health) last night released the first detailed report on covid deaths so far in the country. Its got a couple of very interesting highlights:

Heres the age ranges of deaths: essentially non-existent for under 40s. 9 total people under 40. Of that 9, they tested 7 for underlying conditions, and 100% had them - either debates, obesity etc. Not a single healthy person under 40 has died from it.

And here are the overall deaths, across all age ranges:

This is part is absolutely key. Only 1.2% of Italian deaths, across all age ranges, had no underlying health conditions (diabetes, COPD etc). It looks like its not only just not killing young people, its not killing healthy old people.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_26_marzo_eng.pdf

It seems like this is pretty huge, positive news. Once it gets wider media coverage I'd imagine we'll see a lot of pressure to lift quarantines for the not-at-risk sections of society.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Marenghi, Condolences.

Blut posted:

Thats terrible news Marenghi, I'm sorry to hear.

Its probably not really going to help you much, but this is some very positive corona news that might lift the mood of the thread (and possibly you, even slightly):

A working group of Italian doctors from the Italian Istituto Superiore di Sanità (Higher Institute of Health) last night released the first detailed report on covid deaths so far in the country. Its got a couple of very interesting highlights:

Heres the age ranges of deaths: essentially non-existent for under 40s. 9 total people under 40. Of that 9, they tested 7 for underlying conditions, and 100% had them - either debates, obesity etc. Not a single healthy person under 40 has died from it.

And here are the overall deaths, across all age ranges:

This is part is absolutely key. Only 1.2% of Italian deaths, across all age ranges, had no underlying health conditions (diabetes, COPD etc). It looks like its not only just not killing young people, its not killing healthy old people.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_26_marzo_eng.pdf

It seems like this is pretty huge, positive news. Once it gets wider media coverage I'd imagine we'll see a lot of pressure to lift quarantines for the not-at-risk sections of society.

I can't see this sort of news having an effect on social distancing right now. Just because the younger or healthier people didn't die doesn't mean they weren't left permanently harmed by the illness, scarring on the lungs etc. Not to mention the fact that they still took up hospital beds. No one can get this disease, because the point of failure is in health services ability to accomodate the ill.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Marenghi Condolences.

Things are getting serious lads, I hope you all stay safe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Condolences marenghi

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Thanks, it’s a hard one to process.

Not even sure if it’s something to talk about or just one of those things you carry to your grave.

Thanks for those resources Question IRL, I’ll have a look at that. Might help the wife with it too, she’s really depressed since.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My parents had a miscarriage before they had me. What you talk about or not is up to you, but mum didn't take it to the grave with her.

Although, to be clear, she's still very much alive and working as an NHS nurse at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Look after your wife as much as possible, this kind of thing has a lasting impact. It's also way more common than people realise.