Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Temperature back under 39 today, yay. Another few weeks of this and then I just need to worry about if this was Corona or not (I have all the symptoms but who knows without a test) cos you know, I'd like to go out when I'm better but it'd be just my luck if I went out and it was like "no girl, THIS is Corona"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Jose posted:

Lmao someone put a social distancing notice up on a meeting room door while the room was packed full of people

It also talks about leaving spaces between computers for safety but there are way too many people for that to be possible

We had a message go out about keeping a safe distance apart and the desk next to me has people who keep leaning in close to each other to see what's on their monitors. One guy has been coughing while close up to people's faces like this :waycool::waycool:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The lack of testing (unless you’re somehow a celebrity) is pretty annoying. I’m isolating with symptoms, having been in contact with someone who absolutely has it (he’s basically a tick list of the symptoms) but because no-one he has been with (we’ve both been at large events with an international audience a couple of weeks ago) has been officially diagnosed, he can’t get tested, so I can’t get tested. It’s like a magical chain where somehow someone in it needs to have been tested. But they’re not testing anyone.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
We're having to wear face masks in all areas at my workplace now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

This is going to hit the dick-sucking factories the hardest.

Alternate joke: Surely wearing them in any area but your face is just wasteful?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Marmaduke! posted:

Same. Medical research, so we wore them most places already though....

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is going to hit the dick-sucking factories the hardest.

Alternate joke: Surely wearing them in any area but your face is just wasteful?

That's good, Westminister might get some work actually done.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...impression=true

quote:

Medical company threatens to sue volunteers that 3D-printed valves for life-saving coronavirus treatments

:capitalism:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

My friends had a cough for over 3 weeks. he was feverish in the first few weeks too. that seems unusually long but he started getting sick so long ago i feel like it's unlikely to be covid-19. He's a smoker so any sort of flu will gently caress him up.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Someone should reboot "When the wind blows" but updated for the roni.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Could you, good folks, elucidate the pea brains: one thing I can't get to grips with after having listened to Sir Patrick Vallance yesterday talking about if we get away with 20000 deaths in the UK, although horrible would be a good outcome. There's less than 8000 worldwide deaths at the moment. What's he basing that number on?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bornbytheriver posted:

Could you, good folks, elucidate the pea brains: one thing I can't get to grips with after having listened to Sir Patrick Vallance yesterday talking about if we get away with 20000 deaths in the UK, although horrible would be a good outcome. There's less than 8000 worldwide deaths at the moment. What's he basing that number on?

Take a good look at how Italy's death rate has been growing day by day. We're in a worse position than they are.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

china+iran are also definitely lying about deaths

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Take a good look at how Italy's death rate has been growing day by day. We're in a worse position than they are.

:ohdear:

thank you

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I really don't think him leaving is going to be helpful right now.

I especially dread what mush brained starmer would be doing.

Running the government of national unity, duh!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

If someone with corona can just find that CEO and the largest shareholders and just cough on them that’ll be a great help, ta x

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They're stopping making eastenders and holby city, maybe that will convince the olds that this is big.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Darth Walrus posted:

We're technically still ahead of them, aren't we? Like if we locked everything down NOW we would come out on top, so to speak?

(although, we're in a worse position in the sense that we have a government that won't do that...)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A good number of people are going to start taking this seriously and/or get really hilariously angry over this:

https://twitter.com/pa/status/1240216862161543175

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Redistributeth1/status/1239926855257468928?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How many days worth of EastEnders do we have left? I need to plan my rationing of them through the 12 week isolation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

We're technically still ahead of them, aren't we? Like if we locked everything down NOW we would come out on top, so to speak?

(although, we're in a worse position in the sense that we have a government that won't do that...)

They have a better healthcare service (the NHS is pretty good but theirs is excellent), and we're both a more populous country and have higher population density. We're going to get significantly more infectees and therefore significantly more deaths even if the government plays this perfectly from now on, odds are.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Since the effects of the infection are delayed from infection -> illness -> death, you could isolate every person in the country right now and you'd still see the effects of the current situation in 1-4 weeks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Darth Walrus posted:

They have a better healthcare service (the NHS is pretty good but theirs is excellent), and we're both a more populous country and have higher population density. We're going to get significantly more infectees and therefore significantly more deaths even if the government plays this perfectly from now on, odds are.

It's this true? I dunno what the important stats are or whose tables matter most especially in a situation like this but the Euro Health Consumer Index 2018 puts us 16th and Italy 20th? But I also saw somewhere talking about Italy as second only to France in having the best healthcare so I dunno?

The better healthcare I mean, not the population and density stuff obviously.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

Few reasons.

- They have lots of equipment that's incredibly expensive to buy and there's only so much you can do with dumb bells.
- Work out classes.
- It provides a place I feel compelled to actually put in an effort once I'm there and the fact I'm paying for it compels me to go.
- House exercise I found I put in barely any effort and often forgot i was working out between sets while watching tv.

Or in my case 2 excitable dogs and a cat make exercising at home either accompanied by a soundtrack of barking or really stressful and dangerous. Was just doing some home bodyweight stuff as I can't face running today and the cat was rolling underneath me as I did sit ups and press ups, stupid loving beast as she is.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They oughhta get June Brown back to do a series of soliloquy episodes. Pay her whatever she wants dammit!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Perfect Element posted:

Is there a decent, concise source of information which will make people start taking this loving thing seriously? .

I would suggest forwarding the journal article I posted that describes young people losing their respiratory drive. Seems to have worked with some of my less sensible friends.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Our IT service desk has fallen over, we can't get through to anyone on phone anymore, which has completely crippled our ability to do certain things. We were told in private that it is, of course thanks to coronavirus.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

All the NHS poo poo the government announced is so long overdue it’s maddening

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

A good number of people are going to start taking this seriously and/or get really hilariously angry over this:

https://twitter.com/pa/status/1240216862161543175
The Boris Big Brain Board is probably considering getting the casts of Casualty, Doctors, and Holby City to be emergency NHS staff.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

All the NHS poo poo the government announced is so long overdue it’s maddening

So I get to see bits of this and as far as I can tell NHS England are finding stuff out about the same time as Johnson's briefing the press so they're playing catch up same as the rest of us.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's this true? I dunno what the important stats are or whose tables matter most especially in a situation like this but the Euro Health Consumer Index 2018 puts us 16th and Italy 20th? But I also saw somewhere talking about Italy as second only to France in having the best healthcare so I dunno?

There's a big difference between the north and south of Italy. Northern Italy is one of the wealthiest regions in Europe, and their medical system reflected that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

North and South Italy might as well be two entirely separate countries in terms of wealth etc.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Paris is starting to look like 28 days later.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1240200126859182081

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...y-idUSKBN2143QP

quote:

Coronavirus can persist in air for hours and on surfaces for days: study

(Reuters) - The highly contagious novel coronavirus that has exploded into a global pandemic can remain viable and infectious in droplets in the air for hours and on surfaces up to days, according to a new study that should offer guidance to help people avoid contracting the respiratory illness called COVID-19.

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

On plastic and stainless steel, viable virus could be detected after three days. On cardboard, the virus was not viable after 24 hours. On copper, it took 4 hours for the virus to become inactivated.
That's not great.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is cleaning things still helpful though?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The less of it there is the less likely contact with it is likely to infect you. So yes, cleaning still helpful, and infectiousness still goes down over time even if it could theoretically transmit that way.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Josef bugman posted:

Is cleaning things still helpful though?

More than ever.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

The less of it there is the less likely contact with it is likely to infect you. So yes, cleaning still helpful, and infectiousness still goes down over time even if it could theoretically transmit that way.
Also, your stuff will be clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

bornbytheriver posted:

I think there are a lot of assumptions in there on how much undetected virus spread has already happened but if you look at the curve of infections and deaths in china you'll see deaths peak about 1-2 weeks after the infections with a daily rate of deaths about twice what the rate was at peak infections. Italy has hopefully about peaked in terms of cases so take the current deaths/day in Italy times two for a few more days you get quite a scary number.

It's completely unclear how that translates to the UK because we're not testing that much at the moment but a scenario with 20000 deaths is not complete disaster fiction unfortunately. There are a lot of cases in which it won't come to pass though so there's still hope IMO