Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I see Jonathan Ross has outed himself as a transphobe on Twitter. I tell you, it's that generation of not-as-bright-as-they-think-they-are early gen-xers who spent most of the 90s being lary "ironically mysogynist" twats and all go to each others dinner parties and tut about people who've actually thought about poo poo.

Edit: 2 snipes in a row jesus. I'm too feverish to post a cat pic or number fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I doubt it. I'm sure Corrie, Emmerdale and the rest will all be following suit soon.
(NB - I don't watch any soaps. My more intellectually superior viewing consists of Ancient Aliens, Law and Order (SVU, Criminal Intent, Original), Star Trek Original, CSI (any version), NCIS (any version).

My favourite cop et al., show is Amazon’s Bosch, if that’s something you have access to. It’s very good. I also like justified, but mostly because it takes place near where I grew up.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
The schools might still be open (for now) but certainly the ones around us have a policy of "if your child has a new cough or any other symptoms, STAY AT HOME."

Didn't stop one of the parents bringing in their child this morning, after they were off yesterday because of a new, persistent cough, from bringing them in this morning with the justification of "it's only a cough."

The headmaster sent them home immediately, of course, but they were mingling with other parents and kids around the entrance for a while before the doors were opened.

Why are people so loving dumb?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Free pizza on Fridays from dominos to nhs staff

Also, pret are doing free coffees for nhs today, and the queue is x3 longer than normal lol

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My parents were in Chile recently for my grandmother's 89th birthday and yesterday decided they needed to get home ASAP before the borders closed and they were stuck there. Routed back to Dublin via JFK and, in my Dad's words, 'nobody's heard of social distancing here!' They were kept in the usual immigration control line, 2500 people in one big room, no apparent hygiene controls and only a cursory CDC check, then a 12 hour layover in the airport itself. Given both my parents are in their 60s and have COPD I'm just going to spend the next two weeks in terror of getting a message like 'your mother has a cough and I'm feeling a bit warm but I'm sure it's nothing to worry yourself about'. They're both being very sensible and taking the situation seriously but it seems the yanks aren't. gently caress sake.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

GazChap posted:

Didn't stop one of the parents bringing in their child this morning, after they were off yesterday because of a new, persistent cough, from bringing them in this morning with the justification of "it's only a cough."

this poo poo makes me so loving mad, we're so conditioned to downplay symptoms and not make a fuss that it puts people in real danger, even when it's just regular cold and flu season the amount of people who still go into work becuase "it's just a cold, not gonna stop me working boss!" then spend the rest of the day being loving useless at best and infecting others at worst drives me insane

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So if any of you have Amazon Prime, I give a hearty recommendation to Comrade Detective.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If you like all the others you will probably like criminal minds, it's a cop show based around FBI psychological profilers so if you like the psycho killer type baddies you'll probably like that show. Quite similar to lawnorder svu and CSI, not any more reality based than they are.

Criminal Minds has the IRA super spy that flies around on private jets after escaping from a North Korean blacksite for ultra terrorists. What do you mean unrealistic?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

mediaphage posted:

My favourite cop et al., show is Amazon’s Bosch, if that’s something you have access to. It’s very good. I also like justified, but mostly because it takes place near where I grew up.

I assume that's pay tv? I don't pay for any tv/satellite progs. except the tv licence - which while I resent it from the point of view of BBC News output, is not bad for their drama and non-politics stuff and not paying the licence is not a hill I want to die on financially!

Aramoro posted:

Criminal Minds has the IRA super spy that flies around on private jets after escaping from a North Korean blacksite for ultra terrorists. What do you mean unrealistic?

Sounds good! A blend of cop shows and Ancient Aliens (in a modern world). Ha.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Isomermaid posted:

I see Jonathan Ross has outed himself as a transphobe on Twitter. I tell you, it's that generation of not-as-bright-as-they-think-they-are early gen-xers who spent most of the 90s being lary "ironically mysogynist" twats and all go to each others dinner parties and tut about people who've actually thought about poo poo.

Edit: 2 snipes in a row jesus. I'm too feverish to post a cat pic or number fact

Going to look at that I found this

https://twitter.com/madeleinewool/status/1240238644692226048?s=19

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mediaphage posted:

I gave up on Bosch when they fell into the pit of "show a character playing a musical instrument which the actor clearly has no idea how to actually play"

not nearly as bad as Sherlock though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I assume that's pay tv? I don't pay for any tv/satellite progs. except the tv licence - which while I resent it from the point of view of BBC News output, is not bad for their drama and non-politics stuff and not paying the licence is not a hill I want to die on financially!

Honestly I’m not sure where it is in the UK; I watch it in Canada because we have amazon prime for shipping but I know tv shows are pretty wacky when it comes to international distribution.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

this poo poo makes me so loving mad, we're so conditioned to downplay symptoms and not make a fuss that it puts people in real danger, even when it's just regular cold and flu season the amount of people who still go into work becuase "it's just a cold, not gonna stop me working boss!" then spend the rest of the day being loving useless at best and infecting others at worst drives me insane

I know and agree with all this, but out capitalist dystopian overlords loving hate paying people when they are sick and many places dole out warnings when Bradford Factor > n it's hardly surprising.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

biglads posted:

So if any of you have Amazon Prime, I give a hearty recommendation to Comrade Detective.
Does he come round your house and give you a kicking if you give money to Amazon? :ohdear:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Does he come round your house and give you a kicking if you give money to Amazon? :ohdear:

That's scheduled for season 2 I think.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

And there's proof that landlordism is an inherently abusive relationship.

:emptyquote:

At least 2 local authorities around me have formally adopted business continuity procedures. I've just been ominously debriefed (fnarr) by my manager to the effect that the situation is more serious and prolonged than our upper management thought - but then it's hard to gauge how serious they were taking it beforehand.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mediaphage posted:

Honestly I’m not sure where it is in the UK; I watch it in Canada because we have amazon prime for shipping but I know tv shows are pretty wacky when it comes to international distribution.

Yes - eg Midsomer Murders. One of the main reasons for having the replacement to John Nettles' Barnaby character retaining the name Barnaby (by being his cousin) was because there are parts of the world where the show is sold as 'Inspector Barnaby' rather than MM

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I read on twitter and on FB that TGI Fridays are not allowing staff to clock in (and start being paid) unless there are sufficient customers.
One person posted that one waiter had sat there for 4 hours not allowed to clock on.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
My oldest son is doing a supply chain apprenticeship at the local crisp company. He came home from work last night visibly aged. On the plus side, I get to try all the export market flavours and they have some real bangers.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

biglads posted:

I know and agree with all this, but out capitalist dystopian overlords loving hate paying people when they are sick and many places dole out warnings when Bradford Factor > n it's hardly surprising.

oh yeah absolutely, that's what I meant with the conditioning - still doesnt stop me getting annoyed on a personal level at the guy coming into the office with a face streaming mucus and a pocket full of lemsips though!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm a big fan of these full country lockdown enforced by the army rumours

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fumble posted:

My oldest son is doing a supply chain apprenticeship at the local crisp company. He came home from work last night visibly aged. On the plus side, I get to try all the export market flavours and they have some real bangers.

I remember when I was a teenager my mum worked for a marketing company and I got to try Blackcurrant Tango before it was out in shops. Felt special. ...it was fine.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We aren't very far into it but Kingdom on Netflix seems cool. Korean period drama but with zombos.

Really I'm watching for the hats. Incredible hat technology on display

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

the best rumour i've heard is that this was something started by Jeremy Corbyn and his IRA pals, according to a colleagues 89 year old mother in law anyway

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

quote:

Andy Carter, a Conservative, asks for an assurance that the government will do all it can to save lives.

Yes, says Johnson.

I'm glad Mr Carter braved the virus to ask this vital question

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jose posted:

The British Army is about 20 blokes and a couple of Land Rovers. They'd have trouble closing down Watford Gap services, let alone the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Has Gibbo weighed in on it?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My local school is partially shutdown because certain staff members are asthmatic or some other at risk category rather than protecting the kids as such. Lol if you end up with one young kid sent home and not the other. But mum it's not faiiiiiiiir.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

the best rumour i've heard is that this was something started by Jeremy Corbyn and his IRA pals, according to a colleagues 89 year old mother in law anyway

Coworker said it was the Russians. Then said it was a conspiracy to cull the population by MI5. I pushed her on it and got her to agree it was pretty unlikely for MI5 and Russia to conspire to kill British pensioners by releasing a virus in China.

So now she just thinks the Russians gave it to snakes in China.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

Should have been done in Norway at least a week ago, if not more. Instead we're trying to see how fast we can catch up with Italy and Iran

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, Pobol Y Cwm - People of the Valley. It's been going for centuries.
(irrelevant info: Back when Channel 4 first started, if you lived in Wales you were stuck with S4C - all welsh language.)
ed actually not irrelevant, it was on S4C originally - well BBC Wales before that. Oh never mind, I'm sure you don't care!

S4C was set up as Channel 4 Wales, meant to take welsh language programming obligations off Wales' ITV station HTV if my memory is right. After Channel 4 became its own company in 1992 so did S4C, and they basically spent 2 decades running with really small ratings for most stuff and with various governments constantly trying to shut them down because of it. They went into partnership with the BBC in 2013 I think, both to protect them from government aggro (lol) and also to bolster the BBC's welsh output, plus make S4C's stuff more accessible by subtitling all their stuff when it goes on the iPlayer hence why stuff like Pobol Y Cwm has been able to build more of an audience the last few years.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jose posted:

Same

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Yup. For context, he's been set off by Billy Bragg vocally supporting trans rights. I mean, names are nothing, but assuming Ross, surely knowing on some level that he's an idiot manchild, is sitting there thinking "huh well on the one hand there's people like Billy Bragg and Jon Ronson and on the other there's the guy who wrote some of Father Ted, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say he's the correct one in this scenario."

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 18, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Local dentist just emailed this round:

quote:

Covid-19 Coronavirus Update

Following guidelines published by the Welsh Health Authority our practice will be affected in a number of ways:

1. We are no longer allowed to use any equipment which produces an aerosol- this includes our fast drills, air blower and hygienist scaler.

This means that we are limited to placing semi-permanent temporary fillings for emergency appointments. Any routine fillings, crowns, root treatments and extractions will have to be cancelled.

We are happy to see you for your routine dental check-up and our hygienist will be able to clean your teeth using hand instruments only.

2. We are asked to advise all patients over 70 and those with underlying health conditions to cancel any routine appointments.

3. We will be open for emergency appointments , however, if you are self- isolating there will be a dedicated centre for you, which I hope to have more details of soon.

We have to follow these guidelines and hope that you can understand our reasons for them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Norwegian dentist just recommended people do as much as possible themselves, including "sand paper, superglue and chewing gum"

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

I was in sainys fighting over toilet paper with everyone else this morning and there was a couple having a domestic over the lack of fishfingers (of all things) and their two kids were running around totally unchecked, messing about, touching absolutely everything as kids do.

One of the kids was coughing near continuously in a way I've never heard before that sounded like he was half-choking. These were school aged kids in school hours and the schools are mostly open round here so I assume they'd literally been sent home from school to isolate. It's insane.

What on earth do you do? Demand they leave immediately because their kid is coughing? Get into a fistfight with a plague carrier in the frozen food aisle? If it was a single parent I'd at least have sympathy that they might not have childcare but with two parents, stay at home ffs!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The dentists have realised it can be aerosolised before the hospitals have

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Isomermaid posted:

Yup. For context, he's been set off by Billy Bragg vocally supporting trans rights. I mean, names are nothing, but assuming Ross, surely knowing on some level that he's an idiot manchild, is sitting there thinking "huh well on the one hand there's people like Billy Bragg and Jon Ronson and on the other there's the guy who wrote some of Father Ted, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say he's the correct one in this scenario."

As usual which of these two groups does he mingle around with at BBC parties and use as professional connections and references and which is some distant cultural production which he can admire without ever having to reflect on their content.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am shocked that someone who is a massive fan of transphobic fracking fuckwit RuPaul is transphobic himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lockdown rumours flying through my workplace. Many of our customers (wealthy business owner types with connections to the conservative government for sure) have mentioned it