Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ijyt posted:

For what it's worth, I have the 1st gen iPad Pro and it is running as fast and smoothly (if not smoother) as the day I got it.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

ijyt posted:

For what it's worth, I have the 1st gen iPad Pro and it is running as fast and smoothly (if not smoother) as the day I got it.

+1

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got my iPad Air and Logitech Folio case plus Apple Pencil in.

Really digging it although, like all of my electronics, it all feels too dainty at first and even just drawing on the screen I was like "Oh no I'm going to ruin the screen." Gonna take me a bit to get over that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ijyt posted:

Yeah my 10.5 is incredible, I just want more screen, smaller bezels and the second Apple Pencil but I’m constantly talking myself out of spending just for those things.

If the next one has a better screen it may be what cracks me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yeah my 10.5 is incredible, I just want more screen, smaller bezels and the second Apple Pencil but I’m constantly talking myself out of spending just for those things.

If the next one has a better screen it may be what cracks me.

I really want an oled ipad. I know that's not going to happen; micro-LED will be as good but that's still a long way off. mini-LED should be a pretty noticeable upgrade, but I can't decide if they're going to have those ready for this next gen or wait a year.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MiniLED might break me, I love the new form factor of the Pro’s, which is the only thing I can knock about the 1st gen pro to be honest.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I will break my first gen Apple rule for miniLED.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Pretty narrow question, but for anyone who has a 2018 Pro 12.9" weigh in on if the Coverbuddy (link below) will work with a Brydge Keyboard? It APPEARS that it will because the side of the cover doesn't extend all the way down and with how thin it is it still may fit into the bracket regardless but would love some confirmation.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7LGYMW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_McJAEbZAPHR95

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Pretty narrow question, but for anyone who has a 2018 Pro 12.9" weigh in on if the Coverbuddy (link below) will work with a Brydge Keyboard? It APPEARS that it will because the side of the cover doesn't extend all the way down and with how thin it is it still may fit into the bracket regardless but would love some confirmation.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7LGYMW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_McJAEbZAPHR95

As someone with a Brydge but not a Coverbuddy, almost certainly not. The hinge on the Brydge is incredibly unforgiving in terms of thickness (mine had trouble fitting in with a glass screen protector, even when I did the iPad in, it’d hang over the front lip a fair bit), and I think more of the short end of the corner would need to be exposed.

e: if you are interested in a Brydge 12.9 and are in the US, I’m selling mine since I’ve decided to go the Apple folio route instead.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 13, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

3rd iPad Pro is getting the white spot on screen issue again, this time I'm way out of warranty though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FCKGW posted:

3rd iPad Pro is getting the white spot on screen issue again, this time I'm way out of warranty though.

I'm pretty disappointed at how often this seems to be happening on the iPPs; it's clearly a QA they can't / don't care to solve

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

FCKGW posted:

Starting late yesterday I started losing the "picture" on my 3rd gen iPad Pro 12.9". Screen goes completely blank, but the backlight is still functioning (screen is a very dark grey instead of completely black) and it still accepts touch inputs. Hitting the wake/sleep button turns off the screen and then wakes the iPad again with the picture restored, but the issue got progressively worse to the point that even trying to sleep/wake the iPad wouldn't bring anything back. Eventually got the iPad into recovery mode this morning via my PC and did a full restore... which solved the problem for several hours but now it appears to have come back. My warranty runs out in a week and all Apple Stores are closed, so looks like I'll be shipping it in. :downs:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Is the base model iPad my best bet for entry level doodling with the Apple Pencil, or is the laminated screen on the mini worth it, despite being a little smaller?

Also, Best Buy had the base iPad for $279 over the weekend, but looks like I missed it. Any other good deals out there?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frogbs posted:

Is the base model iPad my best bet for entry level doodling with the Apple Pencil, or is the laminated screen on the mini worth it, despite being a little smaller?

Also, Best Buy had the base iPad for $279 over the weekend, but looks like I missed it. Any other good deals out there?
The cheap iPad goes on sale pretty regularly it feels like...although covid19 might gently caress up regular operations/pricing/demand this year. But it should be fine for drawing, and you'll have extra real estate to work with vs the mini. If you want the size of the mini then the price premium is worth it, and has better internal specs too. I forget if they matter right now but it might be something to keep in mind.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
iOS 13 is a new adventure every day.

https://streamable.com/dj59k

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

iOS 13 is a new adventure every day.

https://streamable.com/dj59k

I'm the keyboard dramatically sliding into focus and then out again

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Looks like new iPad Pros are coming out, maybe soonish? Though who knows what the whole supply chain is like right now.

• 11-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi: A2228; CMIIT ID: 2019AJXXXX
• 11-inch iPad Pro Cellular: A2231; CMIIT ID: 2019AJXXXX
• 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi: A2229; CMIIT ID: 2019AJXXXX
• 12.9-inch iPad Pro Cellular: A2233; CMIIT ID: 2019AJXXXX

More here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hoping whatever kickass new smart folios they come up with backwards compatible to the 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Apple just launched new iPads with a press release? I had to double-check the URL that this isn't fake. Strange times.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/03/apple-unveils-new-ipad-pro-with-lidar-scanner-and-trackpad-support-in-ipados/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

$1249 base LTE 128gb model — I definitely expected worse. Sounds like I’ll be picking one up once I let the public test it out first immediately.

Ordered sight unseen w/education discount.

If I’m going to be stuck working from home I’m going to do it in style.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 18, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

$349 for the large keyboard cover are you making GBS threads me, probably way more in Canada.

I am extremely distrustful of those covers after how completely poo poo the first generation was.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The keyboard-only one was like $150 or $200 if I remember right so adding the touchpad I’m not at all surprised they’re bumping that price.

Thankfully I can probably get work to buy that thing for me. I haven’t had bad luck with my keyboard cover but for the price you pay I definitely think the quality is lacking. My faux leather-rubber material is starting to bubble and wrinkle where any even moderate heat was applied over time. Like you can tell exactly where I consistently put my MBP on my iPad on meetings or where I carry my iPad because the material is wrinkled in just those spots.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Now that they're scissor keys it may be the ultimate keyboard everyone has been searching for. With the new hover design it looks like they were able to get more surface area. Clever design.

ANY word on backwards compatibility?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Now that they're scissor keys it may be the ultimate keyboard everyone has been searching for. With the new hover design it looks like they were able to get more surface area. Clever design.

ANY word on backwards compatibility?

3rd and 4th gen ipads pro

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Dang.... can't wait for reviews, but I may actually pony up for this for my work iPad. We're in lean mode and the Covid makes it REALLY hard to justify expensing it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got the keyboard for my 10.5” Air 3 and I miss the 3rd party one I had before. No backlight really sucks. I’d wait for a good Logitech option imo.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

priznat posted:

I got the keyboard for my 10.5” Air 3 and I miss the 3rd party one I had before. No backlight really sucks. I’d wait for a good Logitech option imo.

The new one is backlit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TheManWithNoName posted:

The new one is backlit.

Nice!

*checks price*

Dammit

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

priznat posted:

I have a Brydge right now and while I really enjoy typing on it, that's about it. I do not enjoy it as an all-around case. So I am constantly swapping it out of that case and into a folio (Amazon, not apple) without a keyboard. My boss has the Logitech and while it does a better job of mixing those two uses together, it is just too damned bulky for not doing it well enough. That's why I'm thinking about the new keyboard with trackpad. The sleakness/weight of the new solution is very appealing and with it seeming like they brought the typing experience up to snuff it may be the best solution overall.

Still wish there was an elegant solution to have a Pencil holder at the top though. The magnet is janky as hell when you're shuffling between meetings.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So another thing I’ll say about the Apple folios is that while they’re good keyboards (IMO) I am sorely lacking a protective option. My work 3Gen iPad Pro has taken a number of tumbles in the past two years and the case is certainly dinged and scuffed up enough that it would drive me crazy if it were my own personal device.

I’ll invariably buy the keyboard touchpad folio because I have to keep Tim Apple happy but I’m wondering if there’s any thin silicone banding I can apply to the edge of the iPad itself to offset some damage.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I’d love to get the new magic keyboard if I can sell my last gen one for a decent price. The increased viewing angles would be great. Can’t wait to try the new mouse stuff too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

New videos posted, I really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09_QxCcBEyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0P0FQ770dE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah poo poo I just realized the existing keyboard cover won’t fit the new iPad even if it is the same form factor due to the new camera bump.

Guess I’m stuck using the on screen keyboard like an idiot until the touchpad folio is out.

E: Oh hmm also the touchpad folio looks like it adds a little size due to the mechanical hinge at the bottom. That may or may not be a dealbreaker for shoving it into my travel bag which is already tight. I wish fruit stands were open so I could see these in person. Guess I have a while to worry about it anyway.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 18, 2020

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

mediaphage posted:

The 11" is compatible with 1st and 2nd gen. Doesn't look like it folds back like the Smart Folio does, but at least it looks fairly easy to take the iPad off.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is the mother loving split soft keyboard back yet

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

eames posted:

Apple just launched new iPads with a press release? I had to double-check the URL that this isn't fake. Strange times.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/03/apple-unveils-new-ipad-pro-with-lidar-scanner-and-trackpad-support-in-ipados/

Holy gently caress I might just. That new keyboard looks great. I'm worried that they'll announce a fancy miniLED one with new pencil within like 9 months though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The new keyboard with trackpad looks amazing and it's compatible with the 3rd gen pro? loving awesome.

Oh, what's that? It's $349? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

E: Oh hmm also the touchpad folio looks like it adds a little size due to the mechanical hinge at the bottom. That may or may not be a dealbreaker for shoving it into my travel bag which is already tight. I wish fruit stands were open so I could see these in person. Guess I have a while to worry about it anyway.

Ah man I didn't think about this. Got a new backpack recently and it doesn't fit my 1st gen iPad in the laptop pocket despite saying it fits 13" laptops, too wide by about a half inch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So if I don’t want a keyboard and won’t use the camera, I should probably just get the previous model when it goes on sale?

Main uses are browsing and drawing. More than anything I want to get my foot into the Pencil 2 door and I can use my 11 Pro for reference photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d like to see what the difference between the A12X and the A12Z is. They aren’t touting increased performance too much so maybe it just has more RAM and an extra core?