Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rustybear posted:

I was in sainys fighting over toilet paper with everyone else this morning and there was a couple having a domestic over the lack of fishfingers (of all things) and their two kids were running around totally unchecked, messing about, touching absolutely everything as kids do.

One of the kids was coughing near continuously in a way I've never heard before that sounded like he was half-choking. These were school aged kids in school hours and the schools are mostly open round here so I assume they'd literally been sent home from school to isolate. It's insane.

What on earth do you do? Demand they leave immediately because their kid is coughing? Get into a fistfight with a plague carrier in the frozen food aisle? If it was a single parent I'd at least have sympathy that they might not have childcare but with two parents, stay at home ffs!

The people who are going to be most responsible for this thing turning into a charnel house will also be the ones who are too loving stupid to realise it was all their fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And this includes several MPs.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't get the gov saying its gonna reverse course in 3 weeks and only kill 20,000.
That seems like extremely poor expectation management.
The worst case is like 3.5 million at Italy numbers with 80% infected. Id start with that then if you can keep it to 500k you look like you did something

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

And this includes several MPs.

No doubt.

Spoke to my mum earlier, she was asking if they could drive to the park for a walk. I said yes but with all the usual caveats.

Told her that it's going to be worse than Italy here, and she went into full denial mode, mostly with 'they have an elderly population', and that even if it happens 'it would happen with any other government, not just the tories'. FFS.

I mean, they seem to be staying indoors and being careful, so I suppose it doesn't really matter if she believes me or not, and maybe it's best she's not scared in the interim between now and Full Kick Off. But I've never been more impressed by the sheer resilience of normalcy bias among most people, and that's really saying something

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't get the gov saying its gonna reverse course in 3 weeks and only kill 20,000.
That seems like extremely poor expectation management.
The worst case is like 3.5 million at Italy numbers with 80% infected. Id start with that then if you can keep it to 500k you look like you did something

Yeah, someone correct me if I'm wrong but anything under 250,000 dead seems utterly, wildly implausible to me?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Rumour at work is that restaurants can't afford to stay open. All bookings have been cancelled etc. some already are delivery only but more will be closed by next week.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The sycophancy with which TERFs suck off their favourite blue-ticks is properly nauseating. Oh, celeb-senpai ratified my toxic opinion, maybe I'm not a human skidmark! :swoon:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Linehan has basically made defending his transphobic views his entire job and identity at this point. It's shocking how easily some people get carried away with themselves.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Aldi was completely out of tinned tomatoes, except, ~mysteriously~, for this brand:

Wachter fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 18, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if Boris was actually keen on being Churchill he could be really hamming it up on the wartime measures now, e.g. early, drastic lockdown; huge disaster funds for people affected by job losses and quarantine; paying restaurants to deliver food to isolated, vulnerable people to help them through the shutdown

turns out the only bit of being Churchill he's actually interested in is being a fat, alcoholic racist posh boy

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I have a running joke with my ma about a tin of Tesco value chilli (:barf:) she has had in her cupboard since I was in my teens. I still check it's there sometimes when I'm at hers. I developed the joke in all manner of directions over the years, including that it's going to be revealed as my only inheritance in her will. It also was a real talking point during the horsemeat scandals. Just great mum banter, really. She was saying the other day that she might finally eat it, though. It went out of date in 2015

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Wachter posted:

Aldi was completely out of tinned tomatoes, except, ~mysteriously~, for this brand:

"Octopus with Erbs"... not surprised :v:

(What do you mean Italian isn't Spanish with -a instead of -o??)

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

fridge corn posted:

Lockdown rumours flying through my workplace. Many of our customers (wealthy business owner types with connections to the conservative government for sure) have mentioned it

london has 621 cases in comparison to 800 in the rest of england so if they lock down anything it'll either be london or the whole country.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

crispix posted:

I have a running joke with my ma about a tin of Tesco value chilli (:barf:) she has had in her cupboard since I was in my teens. I still check it's there sometimes when I'm at hers. I developed the joke in all manner of directions over the years, including that it's going to be revealed as my only inheritance in her will. It also was a real talking point during the horsemeat scandals. Just great mum banter, really. She was saying the other day that she might finally eat it, though. It went out of date in 2015

I've got a venerable tin of Stagg Chilli that I plan to use as a bioweapon against the looters.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
there's a tin of somerfield peaches in the back of my parents cupboards

also a couple of years ago, one of my friends grannies gave him a bottle of Martel for Christmas. it didn't have any metric units on it

still tasted fine, though

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Barry Foster posted:

No doubt.

Spoke to my mum earlier, she was asking if they could drive to the park for a walk. I said yes but with all the usual caveats.

Told her that it's going to be worse than Italy here, and she went into full denial mode, mostly with 'they have an elderly population', and that even if it happens 'it would happen with any other government, not just the tories'. FFS.

I mean, they seem to be staying indoors and being careful, so I suppose it doesn't really matter if she believes me or not, and maybe it's best she's not scared in the interim between now and Full Kick Off. But I've never been more impressed by the sheer resilience of normalcy bias among most people, and that's really saying something

Yeah, someone correct me if I'm wrong but anything under 250,000 dead seems utterly, wildly implausible to me?

i thought 250k dead (from corona alone) was the 'do nothing' scenario.

if china really managed to contain it with only 3k dead and isn't faking the figures then 20k dead in the uk is a shocking indictment of a country with orders of magnitude smaller population .

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

quote:

Posted at 13:1813:18
BREAKING
Schools expected to close by end of this week
Ms Sturgeon says it is "inevitable" that schools will shut.

The planning assumption is that schools will be closed by end of this week, the first minister confirms.

Welsh Assembly announced the same. Good luck England.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

"Octopus with Erbs"... not surprised :v:

(What do you mean Italian isn't Spanish with -a instead of -o??)
Papa alle Erbe

XMNN posted:

if Boris was actually keen on being Churchill he could be really hamming it up on the wartime measures now, e.g. early, drastic lockdown; huge disaster funds for people affected by job losses and quarantine; paying restaurants to deliver food to isolated, vulnerable people to help them through the shutdown

turns out the only bit of being Churchill he's actually interested in is being a fat, alcoholic racist posh boy
Where are the British Kitchens Boris?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

First funny Private Eye cover for a while.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Papa alle Erbe

So that's what the papal smoke is.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Rustybear posted:

thats from the outdated study assuming limitless ICU capacity

the newer study worst case is 550,000. the best case scenario assumes isolating symptomatic people in wards not at home, school closures and 50,000 dead

its still using a way lower lethality rate than the WHO is though, half if not a third as lethal as is now assumed

study is here if you wanna look:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
As huge numbers of londoners move to working from home, the TFL "season ticket refund" telephone lines are absolutely rammed. I think i'm gonna give them a few days...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rustybear posted:

if china really managed to contain it with only 3k dead and isn't faking the figures then 20k dead in the uk is a shocking indictment of a country with orders of magnitude smaller population .

Given that 'do nothing' has been the policy until shockingly recently, and even now we're not taking nearly enough action, I figured we were still more or less in the same boat? Especially considering China actually stepped the gently caress down on this, and even in the best case scenario we won't.

I mean, I'd love to be wrong, but I've heard 250,000 up to a million dead bandied around. I know no-one knows anything though, and that all kinds of panicked rumours are flying all over the place.

Communist Thoughts posted:

thats from the outdated study assuming limitless ICU capacity

the newer study worst case is 550,000. the best case scenario assumes isolating symptomatic people in wards not at home, school closures and 50,000 dead

its still using a way lower lethality rate than the WHO is though, half if not a third as lethal as is now assumed

study is here if you wanna look:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Yeah, there we go. It doesn't seem implausible that there'll be a million dead

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

has anyone asked them why they're not closing schools when their own stupid model demands it?

quote:

A minimum policy for effective suppression is therefore population-wide social distancing combined with home isolation of cases and school and university closure.

lol jk government stenographers aren't gonna read or comprehend a simple science paper

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

https://twitter.com/lynseybews/status/1240268811770761216?s=20

the gently caress do I do with my kids for 4 months.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
that "£350m" figure triggered me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

XMNN posted:

also a couple of years ago, one of my friends grannies gave him a bottle of Martel for Christmas. it didn't have any metric units on it

still tasted fine, though

:britain:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I might buy it this week if I venture to Waitrose. (So shoot me, it's the only place with magazines in that's a reasonable toddle from home).

https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1240228878301515777?s=20

And on that point, can't help noticing that Home Bargains only sells red tops. And that is where the poorer people (including me LOL) shop. No wonder the tories get so many votes from the people they are hurting most.

I loosely estimated 50k deaths last week based on last week's figures: 40000 tested at that point, 5% of those tested have it, approx 1.7% of those who have it die. so death rate approx 0.085% of population x 60000000 = 51k.

So 50k deaths seems plausible to me.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 18, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Oodles posted:

i assume scotland actually can't unilaterally do a lot of the stuff they need to do

but the SNP is basically permanently dead to me because Nicola isn't raising hell about it. she's either stupid as dogshit or complicit in the UK gov switching to propaganda keep calm mode.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oodles posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Ed!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

That's nearly £65 per person! Calm down, moneybags! :homebrew:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

But what do you do if you don't have two kitchens?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

sebzilla posted:

Just about every country in Europe manages somehow, it will be fine.

Also :lmao: at £350 million when other countries are talking 2-3 orders of magnitude more.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

But what do you do if you don't have two kitchens?

You'll have to make, and badly eat your bacon sandwich in the same kitchen.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
In cop show chat, I've been watching The Valhalla Murders on Netflix, which is pretty decent if you like Nordic detective stuff. It has an English dub but I recommend watching in Icelandic with subs because some of the English voice acting is not great. Beforeigners (HBO Nordic but I'm sure you can find it if you check the usual places) is a detective show set in Oslo with supernatural stuff - refugees start mysteriously arriving from the past - and had a very good first season. Norwegian and Old Norse with English subs.

I'm going back to work tomorrow on a limited basis. The building will be near empty, nobody is allowed to work in the same room, we're meant to use disposable gloves to open doors when moving around the building and hand sanitiser when entering our office/lab, don't use public transport to get to work, anyone with the slightest sign of illness to stay home. I really hope nobody gets sick in the next couple weeks because if they do we'll all have to stay home and everyone's lab work will be ruined.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Johnathan Ross saw how many chat shows and appearances Lawrence Fox was getting after his recent controversial opinions and thought “I’d like to get me some of that! Wait glinner also gets boomer men telling him how grateful they are because they have wives and daughters who need a man to speak for them! Where do I sign? Oh now don’t tell me, is that a 58 year old philosophy of fiction academic who pretends to be a lesbian on my feed? Now you are just spoiling me”

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

In fact, NYTimes update 8 minutes ago:

quote:

Coronavirus Live Updates: Nation Pledges Trillions to Stave Off Economic Catastrophe

I'm sure £350 million "set aside" will be plenty.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

From the new season of Westworld:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

It has gotten a lot quieter here at the moment. No-one appears to be up.

Zone 2/3 Crew!

Zone 4 technically Essex krew

I will say, at least I'm saving about £7.50 a day on my commute while I'm working from home!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Well I'm officially working from home for the foreseeable, largely because a: I can and b: my wife is high risk.

Fortunately, I'm highly practiced at this thanks to 9 months unemployment.

The organisation as a whole is making a stronger effort than I'd been aware of to keep up what services we can, but it's a very difficult balance to strike between making sure staff are safe, making sure the homeless people we serve are safe, and making sure they have access to the services they need.

It's gonna be a very loving weird few months friends, but I trust that they can't make me redundant whilst I have one of their laptops, at least :unsmith:

Now I need to work out whether this is a truly idiotic time to try and buy a car, or an absolutely genius one.

Or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

My mother-in-law has been sent home from work because her damaged vocal cords (unrelated to COVID-19; she is symptomless) are scaring customers. They're refusing to pay her anything because she's not self-isolating, she's just been told she can't work :fuckoff:

What can she do?