Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is going to be an epic storyline of intrigue, drama, romance, and murder that gets added in the day -2 patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is there an estimate on just how big of a difference the furniture count is in this game compared to others?

The base game of new life had 1271 pieces of furniture
The base game of New Horizons has 807 pieces according to this pastebin, but this is before the day 1 patch to add in Bunny Day and those cross promotional items from it that shall not be named.

I was worried that a lot more had been cut, but this is fine, as I'm sure more furniture will be added via updates. If it was less than the Gamecube game, I'd have a problem

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wait gently caress, hold on.... How many characters do I have to work with to name my Island?
Gonna go with "Kapan"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Junkie Disease posted:

Wait gently caress, hold on.... How many characters do I have to work with to name my Island?
Gonna go with "Kapan"

10 total, and there aren't any automatic prefixes or suffixes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What's the island name from Battle Royale?.. no reason.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Infinitum posted:

Japan.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Apparently reviewers had embargoes on top of embargoes and so even once the review one was lifted they still couldn't talk about anything after a certain date, combine that with the day -2 patch and it feels like there's a good chance lots of stuff just isn't in there yet for Nintendo reasons.
My secret hope is there was some stuff stripped out so reviewers didn't accidentally reveal stuff. I don't think it's likely, but there is a vague reason to hope on one front.

With regards to new villagers in the game: The data miners only found the eight or so new villagers we've already seen, which is a very small number of new villagers in my mind. But they also found that they weren't all numbered consecutively. The new wolf is wolf11 and there's no wolf10 (or something like that, might not have the numbers right). It's conceivable to me that this was to prevent reviewers from running into villagers Nintendo hasn't revealed yet so there are some totally new ones at launch.

I'm not counting on it or anything, and I'm not going to be super bummed if it's not the case, but I thought it was an interesting possibility.

In any case, considering that Animal Crossing dang near pioneered the practice of big free updates for Nintendo, any specific thing being left out shouldn't give anyone a sense of great loss at this point. Especially if it means the thing will come back with a bit more polish.

Imagine a Happy Cafe expansion where not only do you get a cafe, but you get to do up the interior and everything like in Happy Homes.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

How about Erangel or Sosnovka?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Eiba posted:

The data miners only found the eight or so new villagers we've already seen, which is a very small number of new villagers in my mind. But they also found that they weren't all numbered consecutively. The new wolf is wolf11 and there's no wolf10 (or something like that, might not have the numbers right). It's conceivable to me that this was to prevent reviewers from running into villagers Nintendo hasn't revealed yet so there are some totally new ones at launch.

wolf10 is probably Wolf Link in New Leaf and they're keeping the same filenames for consistency. This is my armchair AC development speculation.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Infinitum posted:

I think it's just "unnamed island"

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I am thinking of buying buying my daughter a switch lite for her birthday. From what I have read I can set it up to share my games, but we can't play them at the same time, or can we? If I want her to have her own copy of animal crossing, but share the rest of the games how does that work? Can I buy it 2x from the store for each switch? Does she need her own profile and then I buy it under that profile?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Having my first major panic attack since the whole corona thing began, wheeee.

On the plus side, I just got two minutes of respite by finally ordering and preloading my digital copy of ACNH from the eShop :unsmith:

God, Friday can't get here soon enough, on so many levels.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Will catch up on gangtags tomorrow all. Tired and got tied up in forum mafia :v:

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Yeah dude, I said gently caress it and cancelled my Amazon order. Swapped the credit I had on Amazon for eshop bucks and ordered the companion book for I don't know what reason.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure Amazon orders are fine since the game is probably at the warehouses already.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Wtf happened to that Japanese screenshot from last week where the character is picking "Isle of" and "Island" suffixes/prefixes?? My preferred naming convention has been revealed to be a sham.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fun Times! posted:

Wtf happened to that Japanese screenshot from last week where the character is picking "Isle of" and "Island" suffixes/prefixes?? My preferred naming convention has been revealed to be a sham.

Thats only in the Japanese version, they removed it in the English releases

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

like, specifically, every Animal Crossing game in Japan has had the ability to select like 'town/city/village' type suffixes and we just never get it in the US for some reason? its not a new thing just in this AC but it still sucks it got cut

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Zore posted:

Thats only in the Japanese version, they removed it in the English releases
I feel like the safest and most likely results of the Day -1 patch is Egg day stuff and online multi, and likely not much else more.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am consuming every second of every video that comes out about this game

gently caress why is it not friday yet aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i legit might just restart over and over until i get scoot as a villager

i'd do that for iggy instead but he has not been in animal crossing since the gamecube game because apparently nintendo wants me to be sad

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IG-88 posted:

Yeah dude, I said gently caress it and cancelled my Amazon order. Swapped the credit I had on Amazon for eshop bucks and ordered the companion book for I don't know what reason.

It'll very likely be great! Future Press does excellent work. I bought their Dark Souls guide for a similar reason ("I don't know what reason") and was very impressed with it. Don't think I referenced it once for help, but I flipped through it a lot just for the art.

At least an Animal Crossing guide will contain a lot of valuable information without risk of becoming obsolete in a patch.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm pretty sure Amazon orders are fine since the game is probably at the warehouses already.

Yeah I just got charged for my order of New Leaf that I made back in October. :unsmith:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Apparently Nintendo released the game early for retailers in the Netherlands. So throw on some hazmat gear and check it out if you're in the area.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Come on Nintendo click the button for the eShop just click it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do you all think they'll still celebrate my birthday if it's the first day? I might be tempted to do the first week time travel trick so I don't miss my Birthday celebration. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citAl9hykTk

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Dutch stores broke the street date, and my copy came in the mail an hour or two ago, though I only just realized it now.

I'm excited as hell! My first villagers are Canberra and Goose, which seem pretty cool.

at least it isnt tabby

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nintendo for the love of god please unlock the digital copies early. Street date already broke and the world needs this game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kaethela posted:

Nintendo for the love of god please unlock the digital copies early. Street date already broke and the world needs this game.

I'm checking out of this thread until launch now because this isn't going to happen and we're probably gonna see more and more people getting their hands on it now, congratulations to anyone who got the physical copy early :unsmith:

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Kaethela posted:

Can someone explain to me any down side to them doing this. Like what harm could it possibly do

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Might gently caress over deals with physical suppliers to pull the rug out from under them like that, but I don't know poo poo bout how any of that works.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

SilkyP posted:

Can someone explain to me any down side to them doing this. Like what harm could it possibly do

Contracts with retailers

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SilkyP posted:

physical suppliers would get pissed, it'd open the floodgates to 'ok you did it before why not do it now' and basically pulls the last thread for 'so what good are brick and mortar stores for most video game consumers again'

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

How big is the custom design grid? Might as well fart around with designs in Excel to kill time

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

does anyone know how many custom patterns you can store? The low limit was why I never really got too into designing my own

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

Cute twitter thread combining the two things I'm desperately longing for: AC and hockey

https://twitter.com/kat326/status/1237050799332737024

Just waiting until Mick E. Moose is posted :3:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

Cute twitter thread combining the two things I'm desperately longing for: AC and hockey

https://twitter.com/kat326/status/1237050799332737024

Just waiting until Mick E. Moose is posted :3:

thank you very relevant to my interests

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

SilkyP posted:

Aside from the retailer stuff, I'd also imagine there'd need to be some level of coordination across regions so that everyone knows it's OK to go ahead and push the button early. Buuut at this point we're close enough to scheduled release, by the time they got that worked out it'd be nearly scheduled release time already, so they might figure there's no point to pushing the button early.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macintosh HD posted:

Come on Nintendo click the button for the eShop just click it

Its maddening because the 1.1.0 patch releases tonight, but we still will not be able to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So as someone who never played animal crossing but is going insane looking for poo poo to do during the Roni times, can someone sell me on this game. Is it like stardew valley? I like the idea of cute chill games