Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hannibal is fantastic. It's characters and events you know, but played completely differently and surprisingly.

And from the sublime to... From upthread, CSI: Miami is worth watching because it goes completely insane. The first season or two are fairly low-key; David Caruso even does some acting. But then his ego kicks in, and Horatio Caine goes from serious cop-slash-scientist to a sunglasses delivery system who blows away more bad guys per episode than Dirty Harry in a demented wonderland of glass and painfully oversaturated colours while everyone around him stands open-mouthed at how awesome he is.

Two shining moments:

The opener where a guy is shot, falls from a balcony and is impaled on an ice sculpture. Nice Coroner Lady says something like "shot in broad daylight at a crowded party? That's cold." Horatio: "It's as cold..." [dons sunglasses] "...as ice." [darts offscreen] YYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!

Horatio is in Rio for some bullshit reason, and is ambushed by a drug lord's goons. The (very cool) Apollo Four Forty remix of Ennio Morricone's spaghetti western score Man With Harmonica starts up, and he stares them out for a long period before blowing them all away in slo-mo, then pointing his gun at the camera and saying "This is justice. Miami style" and firing. YYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH! (He then gets back to Miami in about 20 minutes flat.)

This was somehow the most popular show in the entire world for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Hearing from an extremely well informed journalist friend that there’s a complete lockdown of London from Friday. No idea what form this will take though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Camrath posted:

Hearing from an extremely well informed journalist friend that there’s a complete lockdown of London from Friday. No idea what form this will take though.

Throw away the key lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Realistically shutting down public transport altogether (temporarily freeing Watford) and having the same sort of system as France and Spain where plod will shout at you to get indoors and/or arrest you if you're not on the way to the shops (experience may cary depending on skin colour).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Payndz posted:

This was somehow the most popular show in the entire world for a while.

The early 2000s were a weird time, when everyone was hyped for the new millennium and desperately trying to out-cool each other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
52% rears it's head again.

Theresa May: "the people voted for death"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Camrath posted:

It better loving not, my mum's promised me a 9 back of Andrex if I can make it home on Sunday.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

stev posted:

It better loving not, my mum's promised me a 9 back of Andrex if I can make it home on Sunday.

Likewise, I have fudge I need to ship next week!

Incidentally, buy fudge! It kills coronavirus!*

*does not actually kill coronavirus, or indeed do anything helpful other than make you feel happier

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've got some utter shitheads arsing about in the pub right near me.

Fortunately work is at least going to be paying through till May 1st. So there is that. I just hope the government puts something towards renters.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Camrath posted:

*does not actually kill coronavirus, or indeed do anything helpful other than make you feel happier

Obesity decreases your odds of survival. Try to get exercise and resist the urge to comfort eat.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
And yes, I did eat an entire easter egg earlier, thanks for asking.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

HopperUK posted:

Hello local friend! Amazing innit

Hullo 👋 thought I would get some peace from the Hatfield road cars but seems pretty busy to me

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Camrath posted:

I knew I forgot to do something

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Wachter posted:

I don't think she's in a union, and I won't specify the company except to say that it's a supermarket chain that should loving know better.

I actually suspected as much because I worked for Tesco when I was younger and I encountered some utterly incompetent fuckwits in management positions who would try to pull poo poo like this with people. Who exactly sent her home and did she get anything in writing? If not she should still be at work as usual and my advice would be to turn up at her normal times and stay there - even just sit in a break room or whatever - until they give her something in writing to say they consider her to be unfit for work. Hopefully that would be enough to get a sick line from her GP. Definitely see if you can get in touch with Citizens' Advice or a labour relations charity if you have one locally.

It might be a different story if she was at a call centre or something, but even then they would have to go about this in the right way. Her employer has a responsibility to accommodate her if she considers herself fit for work and find her alternative work in the place temporarily. You absolutely can't just turf someone out of a place of work because you don't like how they sound :mad:

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
What does a lockdown mean for people who can't work from home (ie: me), or is that one of those trifling issues Pfeff won't have thought about yet?

I've got about a month's pay in my savings but if I'm going to be getting the equivalent of SSP for the forseeable that's uh, not going to last me very long at all

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

While I have enough food to keep me going for quite a while my snack food is dangerously low in retrospect and I don't know if I can go on in that situation.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

52% rears it's head again.

Theresa May: "the people voted for death"

I hope this is being made much worse by the policy of basically testing nobody unless they are literally already dying in a hospital?

I assume most people have seen the Lancet editor's letter/comments, but this bit really sums it up for me

quote:

After weeks of inaction, the government announced a sudden U-turn on Monday, declaring that new modelling by scientists at Imperial College had convinced them to change their initial plans. Many journalists, led by the BBC, reported that “the science had changed” and so the government had responded accordingly. But this interpretation of events is wrong. The science has been the same since January. What changed is that government advisers at last understood what had really taken place in China.

Indeed, it didn’t need this week’s predictions by Imperial College scientists to estimate the impact of the government’s complacent approach. Any numerate school student could make the calculation. With a mortality of 1% among 60% of a population of some 66 million people, the UK could expect almost 400,000 deaths. The huge wave of critically ill patients that would result from this strategy would quickly overwhelm the NHS.

The UK’s best scientists have known since that first report from China that Covid-19 was a lethal illness. Yet they did too little, too late.

this has been a gently caress up from start to finish, and I hope that we manage to get through this without too many excess deaths and that there is some sort of inquiry into how the gently caress this could possibly have been allowed to happen

I also hope whoever wrote that article about how anyone who question the government is a danger to society burns in hell (even more so than your average telegraph columnist will)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sassassin posted:

And yes, I did eat an entire easter egg earlier, thanks for asking.

But how did you clean your bum

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

First funny Private Eye cover for a while.

I promised myself, before I opened the plastic post packaging, that if it was a sarky dismissive cover I’d unsubscribe , but I was pleasantly surprised

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Pair of utter cunts walking up to people on Pride Park in Derby and asking to shake hands.

(pissed and vaguely agressive, it would be nasty at the best of times)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

smiling giraffe posted:

Hullo 👋 thought I would get some peace from the Hatfield road cars but seems pretty busy to me

Turns out what’s happened to people who live near busy roads, such as the M chuffing 1, is that it’s just spread the noise out all day and night as well 🙃

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Apparently Bernie's suspending his campaign :smith:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Tarnop posted:

I knew I forgot to do something

Orders close midnight on Friday :)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Goddamit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

I hope this is being made much worse by the policy of basically testing nobody unless they are literally already dying in a hospital?
That and it takes a while to be classed as 'recovered', but not very long to be classed as 'dead'. See:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

BBC news finance offering their usual level of insight:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Was inevitable really. His campaign was lost after super tuesday.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Has the whole thing not been postponed yet anyway?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1240306453703020545

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Democrats managing to lose to Trump in the middle of a recession and a pandemic is going to be incredible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

peanut- posted:

The Democrats managing to lose to Trump in the middle of a recession and a pandemic is going to be incredible.

trump is going to give every american a check for a lot of money and win easily because its way more than obama ever did

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Huh.

Well it's not like he can win anyway.

gently caress, I'm having one at the moment. I've been mostly ok today, but this afternoon's gotten bad.

Just for once I'd like that voice in my head that says 'all is lost' to not be right. It sucks when the predictions sadbrains make are accurate, and it also sucks that everyone else assumes that I'm the crazy one for accepting realistic predictions

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

bionic vapour boy posted:

What does a lockdown mean for people who can't work from home (ie: me), or is that one of those trifling issues Pfeff won't have thought about yet?

I've got about a month's pay in my savings but if I'm going to be getting the equivalent of SSP for the forseeable that's uh, not going to last me very long at all

Allegedly everything but supermarkets shut and they only open at set hours with Army guard, all transport shut, cars banned. If you are on the streets you have to say where you are going.

I.e. they are trying the Wuhan protocol. Its the only thing shown to have worked, but its severe.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

TheRat posted:

Was inevitable really. His campaign was lost after super tuesday.

Yeah this. He's already lost so I dunno what the point of carrying on with it all is anyway especially during all this with the travel problems etc.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

stev posted:

Has the whole thing not been postponed yet anyway?

The DNC threatened any state that postpones with losing half their delegates

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For the best. He was a loving loser anyway. Imagine not being able to beat a man with no brain. loving hell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he really is dead

https://twitter.com/david_wilcock/status/1240049484391829504?s=20

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

ukle posted:

Allegedly everything but supermarkets shut and they only open at set hours with Army guard, all transport shut, cars banned. If you are on the streets you have to say where you are going.

I.e. they are trying the Wuhan protocol. Its the only thing shown to have worked, but its severe.

Oh I understand that part I think, sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant what happens in terms of.... wages, for those of us in non-supermarket retail? (I work in a builders warehouse which I'm assuming will count as non-essential)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

The presidential debates are going to be amazing though.

We can finally measure the force between two perfectly smooth brains in a moral vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Camrath posted:

Wow, and we thought we were going to perform a musical on Monday...

Camrath posted:

Wait this isn't the Simpsons thread