Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

You'd like Origins or Odyssey, because they basically changed AC into Witcher 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Alamoduh posted:

Quick question regarding assassins creed chat: I don’t generally like this style of games, but I really enjoyed shadows of Mordor, and enjoyed the Witcher 3 (for the experience, not for the combat)- do you think I would enjoy assassins creed?

For reference, I haven’t played games like far cry or call of duty or even saints row, GTA, or the new tomb raider because I generally don’t enjoy the genre.
You wouldn't like the old ones, but you might enjoy Origins and Odyssey, particularly Odyssey. They have more in common with Shadow of Mordor or Witcher 3 than with any of the classic Asscreed games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wish Witcher 3 had stealth

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just beat Katana Zero on regular difficulty, I got the ending from the mid-game choice and then did the other one for the rest of the game. Am I missing some content? I got the Goverment Lab tape but all the doors are locked.

Excellent game, really good. I played 3/4 of it in one sitting and the smoothness of the game, animations, the musical quality and the psychedelic story are all top notch. I'm just really lovely at platformers though so I found some of the sections a bit more difficult than I should have. gently caress the laser section in the Proving Ground specifically.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cardiovorax posted:

Revelations 2 is a pretty good game and getting the whole thing for a tenner is a solid deal.

I will second this: if you get this bundle, don't sleep on RE: Revelations 2. It is very clearly a step between RE6's weird issues and RE7's mix of grim horror and black comedy, and it has a lot of really cool reactivity between the two stories (one character is coming in after the other, so if you set off traps to make things easier for the first, now you have to disarm as the second, or branching paths you might close off per, or...)

Also the Burton family owns and this is the most Burton by volume in the series.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wish Witcher 3 had stealth

Witcher 2 had stealth and it was...not good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Not steam, but don't forget to check in on itch.io - a lot of games have gone PWYW with no minimum for the quarantine. Lots of nifty stuff to be had there and you can claim it to an account if you don't think you'll play it right away.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Alamoduh posted:

Quick question regarding assassins creed chat: I don’t generally like this style of games, but I really enjoyed shadows of Mordor, and enjoyed the Witcher 3 (for the experience, not for the combat)- do you think I would enjoy assassins creed?

For reference, I haven’t played games like far cry or call of duty or even saints row, GTA, or the new tomb raider because I generally don’t enjoy the genre.

They took Witcher 3 combat, which some people hated, and put it into AC, where it was magically great.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

chglcu posted:

Beat Ori over the weekend, and it was loads of fun. Whoever designed an entire escape around using the difficult to control burrow ability that you get to restart on any minor fuckup can eat my entire rear end, though. Took me like 30 attempts to get through that thing.

Yeah I just beat Ori 2. It was a solid game, good ending. If anyone is interested, just go play it on Xbox Game Pass for $5. I regret not putting it on Hard because I don't think it'd have been any more difficult since the combat was a pushover most of the time.

Chases were easier and much shorter than Ori 1 which was nice since that was kind of the weakest part of 1; though I guess that one with the langoliers thing was a bit annoying if only because Borrow is really finicky in my experience. I 100%'d all the areas pretty easily. I do think they could have done more with building and restoring poo poo, and the shop/ upgrade/charms thing were kind of whatever. I didn't use most of the abilities either if only because it was annoying to swap them constantly so I mostly just stuck with the big Attack, Spike O Doom, Smash or whatever movement ability I needed and sometimes healing. I noticed a lot of weird little graphical glitches, I don't know if my PC is just unstable since I upgraded to a Ryzen or what but like some things would pop in either too soon or not enough, and sometimes grappling stuff underwater would send me zooming and just little things like that but ntot enough to detract, just a bit less polished than 1 and for being a ~~cinematographic experience~~ it detracted from that seeing technical issues pop up every so often.

Also I really felt like I ended up cheesing a lot of areas by just using i-frames and soaking spike damage and trying to glitch upwards while soaking spikes. It didn't feel right but also sometimes wasn't clear if you weren't supposed to do that. I think I did access a lot of things sooner than I otherwise could have without the last movement ability. The last area felt a little weak just because I ended up tanking all the traps and laser beam,s and poo poo and just brute-forcing through it with ease.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Songbearer posted:

Just beat Katana Zero on regular difficulty, I got the ending from the mid-game choice and then did the other one for the rest of the game. Am I missing some content? I got the Goverment Lab tape but all the doors are locked.

Excellent game, really good. I played 3/4 of it in one sitting and the smoothness of the game, animations, the musical quality and the psychedelic story are all top notch. I'm just really lovely at platformers though so I found some of the sections a bit more difficult than I should have. gently caress the laser section in the Proving Ground specifically.

Unfortunately, that’s all there is for now, I’m pretty sure. They wanted to finish the game as DLC but I’m not sure what the status is on that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is there a thread for Tabletop Simulator?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I haven't done one of these in ... a while

Games I think are pretty neat that are on sale RIGHT NOW

Sandmason - $0.99 (-75%) - first-person puzzler with terraforming
McPixel - $0.99 (-80%) - stop the bomb exploding! You have 20 seconds!
One Way Heroics - $1.04 (-70%) - rougelite about outrunning the creeping blackness - has an expansion DLC
Unholy Heights - $2.39 (-40%) - cute apartment management sim / TDish game
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR - $1.99 (-80%) - on-rails 3d shmup, where you can rotate the play-field
Forget Me Not: My Organic Garden - $1.99 (-80%) - story-filled clicker game where you grow organic fruit for a boutique shop
eversion - $3.34 (-33%) - a cute platformer
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut - $4.99 (-50%) - sci-fi first-person puzzler
Thumper - $5.99 (-70%) - the only way humanity can parse the endless battle between space beetles and cosmic horrors is via a rhythm game
Neon Chrome - $5.24 (-65%) - cyberpunk top-down mayhem
Magic Potion Explorer - $4.99 (-50%) - sorta-idle game where you have to constantly get stronger
Magic Potion Destroyer - $4.99 (-50%) - follow-up game to Magic Potion Explorer
ISLANDERS - $2.49 (-50%) - chill strategy game about placing buildings to maximize your score

Also the BIT.TRIP games are $1.49 each.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'll go ahead and list some of the free stuff on itch.io tonight that is worth looking at

https://bootdiskrevolution.itch.io/bleed-2 (and the first game): incredibly fun action games with kind of Klik & Play looking visuals but very Treasure-style gameplay
https://merlandese.itch.io/last-word : a conversation-battling jrpg where you fight with smarm rather than swords
https://danielben.itch.io/fidel-dungeon-rescue : a pupper based roguelite puzzler about snaking your way through a dungeon safely
https://coreymartin.itch.io/pipe-push-paradise : Steven's Sausage Roll meets Pipe Dream

stuff i haven't played but i'll give a try cause why not

https://siactro.itch.io/macbat64 : low budget n64 lookin 3d platformer
https://titouanmillet.itch.io/mu-cartographer : people have said this is a cool chill experience
https://the-icehouse.itch.io/asa2015 : myst inspired game
https://benal.itch.io/super-skelemania : metroidvania, i remember the original being a fun little freeware game

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Ori 2:

Is there a buyable skill which actually work underwater? Because I felt so weak in water now - the upgraded Bash is pretty much my sole combat damage underwater, especially for the jellyfish.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

srulz posted:

Ori 2:

Is there a buyable skill which actually work underwater? Because I felt so weak in water now - the upgraded Bash is pretty much my sole combat damage underwater, especially for the jellyfish.

No. Your option is bash (or more likely just grab and reflect the projectiles back at the arm-spitter things), or you get an upgrade later that makes you dash through water which does some damage but it's kind of pitiful. Underwater combat is really avoidable, just move past poo poo, and the only thing that's even close to dangerous is the arm-spitters but they die in 2 reflected shots anyways.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had the xbox pass so I grabbed AoW: Planetfall to try. It seems alright, but the interface is killing me. It feels exactly backwards that lots of things use right click to confirm and left click to cancel. I keep loving it up. Anyone know of a mod/config setting that changes it?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

ori 2: accidentally deleted my save near the end of the game picking up my controller from its dock so like... don't do that. rofl.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Also a good game on sale, puzzle game Tametsi is $1.50 (50% off) for the next few days. It's the same sort as HexCells and Patterna, and the difficulty is somewhere between the two, which is nice because Patterna is often a bit too much for me.

I've put 60 hours into it so far and just finished the main set of 100 puzzles with another set of 60 to go. I'd recommend grabbing the HexCells trilogy and SquareCells first if you haven't played those yet, but after this is a nice step up and a ton of content for the price.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zetsubou-san posted:

I haven't done one of these in ... a while

Oh man I remember these from the first time I ever participated in a steam sale. They were a huge help in finding the cheap stuff as I did not have a large budget back then. Thanks for putting them together!

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Xaris posted:

No. Your option is bash (or more likely just grab and reflect the projectiles back at the arm-spitter things), or you get an upgrade later that makes you dash through water which does some damage but it's kind of pitiful. Underwater combat is really avoidable, just move past poo poo, and the only thing that's even close to dangerous is the arm-spitters but they die in 2 reflected shots anyways.

Ok thanks. So which one of the buyable skills is the best then? Other than Water Breathing/Hammer of course.

P/S: I don't have to equip Ancestral Recall type of skills right? The +25% damage to all boost.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

srulz posted:

Ok thanks. So which one of the buyable skills is the best then? Other than Water Breathing/Hammer of course.

Spike is the “gently caress you, drop dead” skill because it has flawless tracking and deals massive damage, I barely even touched all the others

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xaris posted:

the only thing that's even close to dangerous is the arm-spitters but they die in 2 reflected shots anyways.
Oh my god, I can't believe I've never thought about trying that. I've gotten so used to just avoiding them, even after I figured out that you can redirect projectiles that idea just didn't even occur to me.

Oxxidation posted:

Spike is the “gently caress you, drop dead” skill because it has flawless tracking and deals massive damage, I barely even touched all the others
Yeah, that one is just straight-up great. It never misses and two attacks are nearly always enough to kill pretty much everything. +damage spirit crystals seem to work on it, too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you can bash spitter projectiles right into their snouts, they'll usually die in one hit.

srulz posted:

P/S: I don't have to equip Ancestral Recall type of skills right? The +25% damage to all boost.

Right, there are only a couple of those but they're permanent like health/energy upgrades.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just played through hyper light drifter...

Good: The dash mechanic is cool. It is unfortunately a.) explained badly (I had no idea you could multidash more than once until I looked up a solution to a puzzle relying on that knowledge) and b.) gated behind an upgrade some players might miss. This is mostly done for the purpose of making the game feel nonlinear and sticking to the game's concept of not having any words. Both of these things do nothing for me and fortunately I know to always google "recommended upgrade order" when a game is being coy.

The part I liked a lot is chain dashes being fundamental to beating most of the bosses as well as a little mechanically finicky to execute. That's neat! More games should steal that, it was fun having some mild execution difficulty in a single player game. There are only a few bosses and three of them (west, north, and final) were really fun. I spent most of the game practicing chain dashing and falling off of cliffs but that was fun, made the game much more entertaining.

Bad: Dumb complaint but I thought the soundtrack was pretty weak. You'd think this wouldnt matter that much but it kind of does in a game where you're wandering around mostly screens a lot.

As for plot/story/theming, the people making the game put a lot of care into it but it didnt seize me all that much, I get more invested in characters than concepts and there arent really any personalities in this game.

Is it worth $20? I probably wouldnt pay that as the game is pretty short but it would be fine for $10 which it goes on sale for sometimes. EGS gave it away in the past so it may pop back up there. I imagine some people love this game though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 18, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sort of a more actiony Factorio-like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1p6N44UwvI

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm in no way exaggerating when I say that Hyper Light Drifter's soundtrack was absolutely amazing and I kept listening to it for weeks after finishing the game. What didn't you like about it?

Oxxidation posted:

Hammer allows you to stay in air for a long time and breaks enemy attacks which is a life-saver for some encounters.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

Oh, neat! I didn't like Zombie Driver much but this looks closer to X-Morph.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

lordfrikk posted:

I'm in no way exaggerating when I say that Hyper Light Drifter's soundtrack was absolutely amazing and I kept listening to it for weeks after finishing the game. What didn't you like about it?
I found it cold and lacking some fun, and for a game centered around chain-dashing, a very rhythmic mechanic, tracks like the mountain track just kind of plod along.

I was being too harsh though, Cult of the Zealous is certainly good.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Goat of Duty is free right now and until April 1

https://store.steampowered.com/app/555000/GOAT_OF_DUTY/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Has anybody had issues with Black Mesa just... crashing to desktop, no error? I had zero problems until I got to the Lambda Core area and turned on both pumps and now it's crashing all the loving time. I can't finish a single fight. Most advice I see googling/checking the steam forum is just "Uninstall mods!" and other stuff I'm already not doing in the first place.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zereth posted:

Has anybody had issues with Black Mesa just... crashing to desktop, no error? I had zero problems until I got to the Lambda Core area and turned on both pumps and now it's crashing all the loving time. I can't finish a single fight. Most advice I see googling/checking the steam forum is just "Uninstall mods!" and other stuff I'm already not doing in the first place.

Have you reported this to the devs?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How long does it take steam support to reply to tickets usually? One of my friends somehow got their account hijacked

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
dungeons 3: good or bad

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Mordja posted:

oh god

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you liked DK2? Bad.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Simple but fun. Does what it says on the tin. Nice rhythm between going out to pillage and falling back to defend the dungeon. Very Dungeon Keeper. Atrocious jokes, turn off voice audio if too annoying.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Serephina posted:

If you liked DK2? Bad.

that settles that then

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you reported this to the devs?
Turns out the seemingly unrelated launch option "-oldgameui" or whatever it was solved the problem ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Do you like Warcraft 3? Because it's 50/50 split of decent Dungeon Keeper clone and okayish Warcraft 3 clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Much like Rimworld remains the only thing to really get DF-lite right, War for the Overworld remains the only proper DK successor. Which I have figured out by playing all of them. :negative: