Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Jose posted:

genuinely more for american people than obama did after 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1240312163195125765

If Trump goes full Strasserite surely he’s going to stomp the sad shell of Joe Biden into folksy dust

e: 136BCE, Arah-Nisanu (Mar-Apr, the month of Bel): Babylon falls dark as the Moon passes before the Sun

Shogi fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shogi posted:

If Trump goes full Strasserite surely he’s going to stomp the sad shell of Joe Biden into folksy dust

All he has to do is mention Biden bragging about how many times he tried to cut social security and it's a slam dunk

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

gently caress. So it didn't peak, then.

My Italian colleagues tell us that their state tv news network tells them the peak is expected on March 25th.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Advice, please!

I live in a busy area of Zone 2 London, in a studio flat. I have my own kitchen and bathroom, and can fairly easily just shut the door and feel relatively safe from the virus. I recently turned 30, so age-wise I'm at fairly low risk, but I do have type 1 diabetes. I genuinely don't think this puts me at as much additional risk as some people seem to think because I have various issues with the stats, but I am understandably nervous, particularly as London seems to be bearing the brunt of this, my rental contract ends at the beginning of May, and there's a significant chance that the city might be quarantined entirely. Realistically, with everyone working from home or self-isolating, there's nothing I need to be here for that I couldn't do somewhere else, so I'm seriously considering getting the gently caress out of dodge if I can - even though that might mean eating another month's rent on a flat I'm not living in if I can't persuade the landlord to release me from the contract.

My partner lives in the south-west but I can't move in with her because of her current (hopefully temporary!) housing situation, but my parents are happy to have me move back to theirs in Tyneside (lowest rates of COVID in the country!) until this all blows over. Realistically this was always going to be the plan at the start of May, but I'm anxious because they're both around 60 years old. Neither have serious health problems though, and they're taking this quite seriously as far as I can tell - only going out to do the shopping. My dad is working from home while my mum (who is an obsessive clean freak anyway) works in a very small team (3 or so of them) in a closed office, and all of her colleagues are taking it seriously too. There's talk of perhaps her being able to move to WFH, but it hasn't been confirmed.

So, what do I do? Hole up in London and pray for the best, or pack the gently caress up ASAP and get out?

e: I should also point out that my dad has offered to drive down here, I throw everything in the car, and we drive back. This isn't going to involve lengthy trips on public transport.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 18, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Well, that's official then. The De Pfeffel is shutting down all schools from Friday.

May god have mercy on those trying to arrange last minute child care.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Turns out that my epilepsy prescription hasn't been signed off by my GP, despite a request waiting for it be signed off. And you know what, I ain't even mad with the absolute chaos that's going on

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you go to https://www.parsleybox.com/ME3

they're doing a deal 10 of their meals + 2 mini bottles of wine + free delivery for £19.99

I've just ordered a pack to go to my mother.

They're longlife meals that don't need refrigerating or freezing.

No idea what they are like, but seemed like a good offer as I'm not convinced mother has enough food in for a prolonged lockdown.

Thank you, ordered one for my dad just in case, he's 76

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1240314680779902976

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
some good no deal brexit scenarios happening

https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/1240328029664161792

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

RockyB posted:

Well, that's official then. The De Pfeffel is shutting down all schools from Friday.

May god have mercy on those trying to arrange last minute child care.

Yep, it's so cruel that they've waited until after 5pm today to announce school closures. Surely they know people will be scrambling to organise child care, freakin' quit dragging your feet, announce the closure in the morning, have some human decency dammit.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just having to persuade a friend that deliberately getting infected with coronavirus "to get it over with" is probably not a great strategy.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Advice, please!

I live in a busy area of Zone 2 London, in a studio flat. I have my own kitchen and bathroom, and can fairly easily just shut the door and feel relatively safe from the virus. I recently turned 30, so age-wise I'm at fairly low risk, but I do have type 1 diabetes. I genuinely don't think this puts me at as much additional risk as some people seem to think because I have various issues with the stats, but I am understandably nervous, particularly as London seems to be bearing the brunt of this, my rental contract ends at the beginning of May, and there's a significant chance that the city might be quarantined entirely. Realistically, with everyone working from home or self-isolating, there's nothing I need to be here for that I couldn't do somewhere else, so I'm seriously considering getting the gently caress out of dodge if I can - even though that might mean eating another month's rent on a flat I'm not living in if I can't persuade the landlord to release me from the contract.

My partner lives in the south-west but I can't move in with her because of her current (hopefully temporary!) housing situation, but my parents are happy to have me move back to theirs in Tyneside (lowest rates of COVID in the country!) until this all blows over. Realistically this was always going to be the plan at the start of May, but I'm anxious because they're both around 60 years old. Neither have serious health problems though, and they're taking this quite seriously as far as I can tell - only going out to do the shopping. My dad is working from home while my mum (who is an obsessive clean freak anyway) works in a very small team (3 or so of them) in a closed office, and all of her colleagues are taking it seriously too. There's talk of perhaps her being able to move to WFH, but it hasn't been confirmed.

So, what do I do? Hole up in London and pray for the best, or pack the gently caress up ASAP and get out?

e: I should also point out that my dad has offered to drive down here, I throw everything in the car, and we drive back. This isn't going to involve lengthy trips on public transport.

I mean ultimately it's a gut decision, not a brain one. You're no more or less likely to contract it staying indoors in London than staying inside in Tyneside, because it's not like it can go through walls, and I know this is a bummer but there's a nonzero chance you're already infected and could infect your parents.

However I absolutely understand the impulse to be with family (and their desire to be with you) at a time like this, and really only you can make that call.

I mean personally I've turned down offers from family around the country to bug out - partly because I'm low-risk, partly because of that insane "I'm safer in my own home" mentality that leads people to try and ride out hurricanes and wildfires, but mainly because they all have worse broadband than I do. I can cope with never leaving the house but there's no loving way I'm going back to ADSL.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Jenny Harries, deputy chief medical officer for England, coughing during the PM's anti-corona conference :tif:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Advice, please!

Well to me it sounds like go to family sounds like a plan.
It doesn't sound from your other posts that being on your own is working too well for you.
Will you be able to get some 'own space' there? Love my folks to bits but staying with family always has me desperate to get some space and time alone after a few hours.
But only you can make the decision.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

is there any roundup of the options for online grocery shopping and delivery? I haven't done that before and I'm trying to get other people ready for it too

I know Tesco and Morrisons and the like do it, but I've also heard their schedules are rammed. What else is out there/good?

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

knox_harrington posted:

Just having to persuade a friend that deliberately getting infected with coronavirus "to get it over with" is probably not a great strategy.

Yeah would not advise. I’m healthy and youngish, I almost certainly have it and even a mild symptomatic case is really quite poo poo. Unless you love waking up at 4am repeatedly with your chest absolutely knacking I spose. They might be very anxious but they need to think through the possible consequences including for other people, and find a better coping strategy

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Gonna be wild when the queen dies of Covid under Johnson's watch and they can't even give her a state funeral because London's on lockdown

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See that roundel? It's not called the Hertfordshire Underground, is it? You're in London, time to develop a chirpy persona even while the bombs are dropping.

Seeing as there's a TfL bus from Hounslow to Slough (the dear old 81), this is particularly apt

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

u brexit ukip it posted:

Gonna be wild when the queen dies of Covid under Johnson's watch and they can't even give her a state funeral because London's on lockdown

Thrown into a ditch with the rest of them*

(*royals or other old people? am I even talking about the virus? you decide)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

loving lol boris said no when asked if he'd get a brexit extension because of this

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Julio Cruz posted:

that is Boomer-on-Facebook levels of random ITALICS and underlinings and capitalisations

I wa s going topost this hehe

MAUREEN WHERE IS THE "I LIKE" BUTTON ON THIS :bahgawd:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

CoolCab posted:

I think it's worth highlighting here that nerves are going to get extremely frayed as this goes on, particularly as places like this thread become where people are getting most of their socialization. And that's OK - things are catastrophically, terrifyingly hosed right now. But we should try to be understanding of other posters when they express their anxieties - even when that expression isn't done optimally.

I was about to say, thank you to people ITT for support and general news stuff. Going to get loving crazy over the next few months so I'm glad to be here (took a break after the election and felt better for it, but now I must rush back to my social media node)

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd go with, be with your family. You don't know what's going to happen over the next few weeks, and it seems like where you've been has been difficult. And if you need to, the countryside won't be too far away rather than somewhere in the sprawl of London so you can go for walks and that. If we start getting blackouts or anything like fires or floods, I'd rather be out in the hills than in an inner city.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well to me it sounds like go to family sounds like a plan.
It doesn't sound from your other posts that being on your own is working too well for you.
Will you be able to get some 'own space' there? Love my folks to bits but staying with family always has me desperate to get some space and time alone after a few hours.
But only you can make the decision.

Living alone is fine, really, I just get frustrated because, in retrospect, my life before moving here was pretty idyllic - I lived in a nice flat with my partner in a nice area of a city I love, doing I job I enjoyed. Via my posting on here you only really see me at my worst when I talk about that, for obvious reasons, but I can't deny that it has been a challenge, and the last thing I loving needed was a pandemic on top of everything else.

Yeah, I'd have my own room at least. If I had been due to be in London for another half a year I'd stay, but the fact that I am inevitably going to have to do this whether now or at the start of May is making me consider whether I want to be at the epicentre right as everything completely goes to pieces.

e: Also I've been self-isolating for the last week and a bit so fairly unlikely I have it, or if I have had it I had a super mild case (was a little phlegmy but not really the same symptoms)

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 18, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

loving lol boris said no when asked if he'd get a brexit extension because of this

Odds of having a pandemic, no deal brexit and the queen's death all happening at the same time looking better.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

Tell that to Rutte. The Netherlands have changed course to full-on charge into the fabled dreamland of "herde immunity".

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jose posted:

genuinely more for american people than obama did after 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1240312163195125765

trump bad.... but this good??

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

baka kaba posted:

is there any roundup of the options for online grocery shopping and delivery? I haven't done that before and I'm trying to get other people ready for it too

I know Tesco and Morrisons and the like do it, but I've also heard their schedules are rammed. What else is out there/good?

Our small independent grocers and some of the local cafes are offering home delivery locally.

If you're not on Facebook now might be a good time to sign up, not 'friend' anyone, join some local groups or pages.
Our town has now the general groups but also two specific mutual aid groups (one as a direct result of the flooding which some are only just able to move back into their homes and others still can't) which are proving useful.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

If you had to take public transport I'd say gently caress no. But since you can get a car, I feel like you probably should.

Don't worry too much about a lockdown though. In other countries they're allowing essential travel and I think "i'm moving house" would qualify. So I don't think you need to drop everything and move out tomorrow.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Barry Foster posted:

everyone else assumes that I'm the crazy one for accepting realistic predictions

:(:respek::(

So many warnings for saying things would happen which then happened. Like a loving cursed soothsayer or something. Got told off today for saying alas that these dark days should be mine.

I want to check on my neighbours round the corner who are old as poo poo. How do I do this safely or should I just leave them alone? I don’t have phone numbers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

guillotine everyone who has ever worked in the home office

https://twitter.com/trillingual/status/1240334414690881538?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sanford posted:

I want to check on my neighbours round the corner who are old as poo poo. How do I do this safely or should I just leave them alone? I don’t have phone numbers.

Pop a note in in big clear letters with your number on it. Disinfect it before you insert it (always good advice)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

I'd go with, be with your family. You don't know what's going to happen over the next few weeks, and it seems like where you've been has been difficult. And if you need to, the countryside won't be too far away rather than somewhere in the sprawl of London so you can go for walks and that. If we start getting blackouts or anything like fires or floods, I'd rather be out in the hills than in an inner city.

Blackouts, fires or floods? You're being a *wee* bit histrionic there, I think. If society breaks down to the point where the power stops (or nobody's around to flick the switch on the Thames Barrier) then it really doesn't matter where you are, we're all dead.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jose posted:

The virus is perfect cover for all the poo poo hitting the no-deal-brexit-fan.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
THEY'LL KEEP FIGHTING

AND THEY'LL WIN!

Would you like to know more?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Goddamn, Graundiad doing sterling work once again

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
We's gonn have us a shitdown hooweeeee!!! :banjo:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

so many just outright lies, even contradicting their own study that was written at a remedial level so even the infants in suits can read it
not a peep from the court scribes

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Blackouts, fires or floods? You're being a *wee* bit histrionic there, I think. If society breaks down to the point where the power stops (or nobody's around to flick the switch on the Thames Barrier) then it really doesn't matter where you are, we're all dead.

Blackouts were/are a common feature in Egypt - funnily enough the one time we didn't get a powercut was during the revolution, can safely said we weren't all dead. People like me had an array of rechargeable lighting (much cheaper there than here), others like my New Age Hippy friend believed in the power of the candle.

They were a feature before and after though. People blame Morsy even though there was sabotage going on in the power plants, and they seemed to forget that it was all going pear-shaped under Mubarak in 2009/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

Goddamn, Graundiad doing sterling work once again

They're making the Pinto again?