Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
drat I love ip. Give me all the exclusive ips. Mmmm yummy ips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How the gently caress does Sony keep loving up back compat?? :stonk:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

It's soooo annoying.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

I think they worded it poorly in the talk. I expect most PS4 games will be BC. But not every game, and don't expect any enhancements, either. Not ideal, though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zerot posted:

I think they worded it poorly in the talk. I expect most PS4 games will be BC. But not every game, and don't expect any enhancements, either. Not ideal, though.
Let's hope! As it stands, the way they worded it implies that 4% of the PS4 library will be playable on the PS5 at launch. :ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to know which system is quieter. I sold my PS4 when I moved because it was louder, so where is my digital foundry on that.

American McGay posted:

Let's hope! As it stands, the way they worded it implies that 4% of the PS4 library will be playable on the PS5 at launch. :ohdear:

Basically this, which was why I remain at baffled. They also havent implied there is any improvement to games run in back compatability so while I know youll all buy a bloodborne rerelease, thats the only way youll get improvements in that game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Zerot posted:

Yeah I think they were just saying their initial goal was the most popular 100 titles and use that as a basis going forward. Learning from that, it might be easier to bring more over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is this going to be like the PS3 where Sony decided to go all futuristic with their console and developers hate it because it's different and weird compared to everything else.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
In the grand scheme of things I care more about possible cross play, M&K support, and services like Live/Now than I do exclusives. Exclusives get a big meh from me, and despite having a PS4 the only exclusive I’ve played on it is a gundam game that is a ps3 port.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is this going to be like the PS3 where Sony decided to go all futuristic with their console and developers hate it because it's different and weird compared to everything else.

Not really? It seems like they put in a nice sound chip and a great harddrive and the rest is in line. The only thing that worries me is this load balancing stuff noted as the clock speeds arent locked which leads me to think first party games will be great and multiplats may have some weird hiccoughs.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I'll be honest that I'm not sure the SSD speed difference isn't being overplayed some. The quantum leap in performance is from the 100MB/s or so of a regular HDD in the current gen to the 5+ GB/s we're looking at baseline on the PS5 or peak (?) with the XSX. That's 50x! Yes if the PS5 is 2x faster than even that, that's amazing, but the 50x improvement is absolutely nothing to sniff at and totally revolutionary in terms of baseline performance by itself. Like raw populating the total memory in 3-5 seconds potentially. I don't know what on earth you would be doing with textures that could require doing that faster.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, they made a point that the speed was variable so even though it falls short that's still the highest it will go and will likely run at lower speeds but how much remains to be seen. Probably don't want a big unit like the Series X and they're notorious for sound problems so the best thing to manage heat is to dial things down as much as possible. If they don't have a large form factor for the console I can't wait to see how loud it gets under load when it's actually trying to fire on all cylinders :allears:

They should just go for something big with good airflow. Series X is incredibly powerful but can run completely silent all day thanks to the size and design. Even though it's weaker Sony's still foolish if they try to cram what they do have into a traditional form factor.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

Their messaging on this is very poor. I'm surprised there hasn't been a clarification yet (that I've seen).

Microsoft seems to have the better plan for BC, but their method isn't the kind of thing that Sony would be able to easily spin up after a generation of mostly ignoring BC.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Red Warrior posted:

I'll be honest that I'm not sure the SSD speed difference isn't being overplayed some.

Gonna suck when the insanely fast load times these consoles have are barely noticeable with games having an online/GaaS focus hitting the connectivity bottleneck for loading content. Singleplayer games will be nice for that initial load, though.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

I'll be honest that I'm not sure the SSD speed difference isn't being overplayed some. The quantum leap in performance is from the 100MB/s or so of a regular HDD in the current gen to the 5+ GB/s we're looking at baseline on the PS5 or peak (?) with the XSX. That's 50x! Yes if the PS5 is 2x faster than even that, that's amazing, but the 50x improvement is absolutely nothing to sniff at and totally revolutionary in terms of baseline performance by itself. Like raw populating the total memory in 3-5 seconds potentially. I don't know what on earth you would be doing with textures that could require doing that faster.

Let's face it: Series X SSDs use the wrong type of flash memory

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The longer Sony keeps ignoring BC, the harder it will be to implement it. Being able to buy the new xbox and one game, but your kids can keep playing all the games they already had will be a big selling point for parents.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats more for gamepass/psnow, though. BC is more for adults who bought lots of games feeling confident buying more games next gen and also adding old games to gamepass/psnow or store sales.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So to clarify, it sounds like what they were doing was testing the top 100 ps4 games for a PS5 boosted mode. They have the logic chip in the ps5 for ps4 so worst case is the system downclocks and runs in a ps4 legacy mode to basically play all ps4 stuff but you can't automatically use the extra power of ps5 for all ps4 games.

We still need to wait for more information. This was entirely about architecture stuff.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Red Warrior posted:

Even larger texture maps, I guess.

This presentation would've benefited from a tech demo to really illustrate what the benefits can be like under optimal conditions. Like, for example, running a PS4 game that previously had texture streaming problems or very asset-heavy open world games with long load times.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

So to clarify, it sounds like what they were doing was testing the top 100 ps4 games for a PS5 boosted mode. They have the logic chip in the ps5 for ps4 so worst case is the system downclocks and runs in a ps4 legacy mode to basically play all ps4 stuff but you can't automatically use the extra power of ps5 for all ps4 games.

We still need to wait for more information. This was entirely about architecture stuff.

That's what it might have sounded like from the tech talk, but the PlayStation Blog seems to indicate that it's for general backwards compatibility.

quote:

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

Again, they're not doing a good job talking about this stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zerot posted:

That's what it might have sounded like from the tech talk, but the PlayStation Blog seems to indicate that it's for general backwards compatibility.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

Again, they're not doing a good job talking about this stuff.

Yeah I agree. This was more like a developer perspective on the console and people are super thirsty because this is the first ps5 news since the wired interview from last year.

We need more consumer focused interviews/reveals.

I can see how it can be read either way and for now Xbox is pretty much guaranteeing that all stuff that works on xbox one works on series x. Sony is being careful with their words and seems like they may not have everything working.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1240350228529774592

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The one game to not be compatible or get a boost mode will be Bloodborne.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Happy birthday to me I guess.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
October :eyepop: just in time for the Christmas season. I'm still willing to bet on a delay because of the coronavirus though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

The one game to not be compatible or get a boost mode will be Bloodborne.

Bloodborne 2 is a Series X Exclusive

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

October :eyepop: just in time for the Christmas season. I'm still willing to bet on a delay because of the coronavirus though.

Ah, you must live in Canada.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bloodborne 2 is a Series X Exclusive

Im not saying it makes any financial sense whatsoever but if I were microsoft I would probably be unable to resist the urge to try to make this happen, and I dont even like Bloodborne

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BTW that linked site is the regional page for India. Looking up a few other regions I could find the "Thanksgiving" text on the British and Irish regional sites too. Elsewhere it's "Holiday 2020", "winter 2020" or "late 2020".

Just thought it's interesting.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Ah, you must live in Canada.

Good ol' blighty for me

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It's like someone was testing a website update and a) screwed up the logic of which site to update and b) pushed to production instead of test.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

, and I dont even like Bloodborne

:greenangel:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Larry Hryb clarified the Thanksgiving thing, sort of:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1240360263791960064

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Either way it's pretty ballsy of them to come out with a ~solid~ timeframe considering how crazy everything is becoming these days. Either they're really confident in their progress / supply chain or they're just trying to make noise and force Sony to respond.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

What they said was they tested the top 100 games so far and they virtually all work.

Sony isnt capable of spending an entire generation of missing aaa games worth of budget on repackaging marble madness like microsoft did

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Real hurthling! posted:

What they said was they tested the top 100 games so far and they virtually all work.

Sony isnt capable of spending an entire generation of missing aaa games worth of budget on repackaging marble madness like microsoft did

I think it's more of the fact of how many people I've seen expecting, at least, full 100% BC at launch with PS4 like the Series X is doing with XBone.

Right now we've just got a series of people and sites just confused at just what and how many games will work from the get go.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah they need to put some consumer friendly announcements out. Everything has been focused on dads that read wired

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

PS5 doesn't need to do anything but the same thing PS4 did and have many games people enjoy and not bad games or $60 games ran like a F2P game (Gears 5).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

PS5 doesn't need to do anything but the same thing PS4 did and have many games people enjoy and not bad games or $60 games ran like a F2P game (Gears 5).
This post assumes that the PS3 library is equal in quantity and quality to the PS4 library which I think we can all agree is far from the case. The PS5 absolutely needs to commit to supporting the entire PS4 library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

This post assumes that the PS3 library is equal in quantity and quality to the PS4 library which I think we can all agree is far from the case. The PS5 absolutely needs to commit to supporting the entire PS4 library.

This is entirely just me reading how the message was delivered, but the way it was worded sounded more to me like "we've got a pretty good handle on the bulk of the library but aren't sure we'll be quite done by the time launch rolls around, but we should be close." It sounded like the incompatible games would be more the exception than the rule, probably like launch-era sports games and Onechanbara-tier games, but the core major games big and small will work at launch.

Or they could pull more whitelist shenanigans and hoo boy if that's the case.