Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was also waiting for Delores to go full-on terminator, since she clearly could, and Bernard did a little bit, but it never happened.

You don't count any of the gunplay and shrugging off bullet hits as "full-on terminator?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ersatz posted:

Daddy invented super--Google, which became the undisputed overlord of the global economy.
The whole "wasted human potential" thing is very Silicon Valley big data/machine learning magical thinking, and kind of like Delos the idea is "if we dump enough data into a big enough computer the answers we want will start coming out and we won't even know why." I think it's hilarious that the right answer was apparently a centrally planned economy but I don't think the writers are going to lean in on that irony too hard. It was strongly implied it was the reason Caleb couldn't get a better job so it should be easy for Dolores to flip him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sockser posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong-- I think Heroes season 2 was during the writer's strike and it was bad, and then season 3 was post-strike and it was loving dreadful

And then season 4, after everyone had stopped watching, they simplified it down into like a Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants story and it's pretty good.

No, the other time Heroes came back - Heroes Reborn.

Don't remember it? No one does.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

qirex posted:

The whole "wasted human potential" thing is very Silicon Valley big data/machine learning magical thinking, and kind of like Delos the idea is "if we dump enough data into a big enough computer the answers we want will start coming out and we won't even know why." I think it's hilarious that the right answer was apparently a centrally planned economy but I don't think the writers are going to lean in on that irony too hard. It was strongly implied it was the reason Caleb couldn't get a better job so it should be easy for Dolores to flip him.
Yeah, I actually liked the first episode. If nothing else, it's raising a different set of questions that seem more relevant to our lives today.

Also, maybe I just have bad taste, but I thought that the terminator-Dolores in the park scene was fun. This isn't saying much, but she came off as more convincingly menacing than any antagonist in the recent Terminator sequels.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

McSpanky posted:

Campworld

Season 4 is just Westworld the movie

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Alan Smithee posted:

Season 4 is just Westworld the movie

But shown out of sequence and stretched out to eight hour long episodes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I sure hope there's a good explanation as to why Maeve has been reintegrated as a prop into their theme parks. There probably is, but I can't remember most of season 2 anymore.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
She died outside the robot heaven portal and her human henchmen were told to start fixing salvageable hosts and putting them back to work, clearly they picked her but didn't 'fix' her being awake and (presumably) magical.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone on the production likes roof gardens about as much as I do so I liked that. Other than that, will still keep watching. I'm cautiously intrigued

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Madurai posted:

You don't count any of the gunplay and shrugging off bullet hits as "full-on terminator?"

Their take that a season has 2 episodes of plot stretched out when a poo poo ton happened in season 2 already says they don’t know how to watch this show from a critical perspective... which also says they aren’t paying attention when she in fact does goes full-on terminator.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Their take that a season has 2 episodes of plot stretched out when a poo poo ton happened in season 2 already says they don’t know how to watch this show from a critical perspective...

I mean, it really depends what you think of as plot. I'd argue that the entire subplot with the confederados contributed very little to the overall season, for instance. Or the adventures with the Man In Black's Daughter which lasts, what, eight episodes. Decent punchline, but that's about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LionArcher posted:

Their take that a season has 2 episodes of plot stretched out when a poo poo ton happened in season 2 already says they don’t know how to watch this show from a critical perspective... which also says they aren’t paying attention when she in fact does goes full-on terminator.

This is a fantastic take "you dont know how to watch the show"

You dont really see her take any bullets, and only at the end is it shown that she is somewhat injured. The scenes really played it as everyone but her couldn't hit the broad side of a barn

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is a fantastic take "you dont know how to watch the show"

You dont really see her take any bullets, and only at the end is it shown that she is somewhat injured. The scenes really played it as everyone but her couldn't hit the broad side of a barn

It's weird how when people defend a show like this, they never actually say why the show is good but instead attack the person they disagree with. It happens here and the Star Trek thread.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Personally I find Westworld kinda shallow but well made in terms of cinematography, and is kind of like candy in the same way Game of Thrones was. But I don't think it has a lot of depth to the story its telling beyond "technology bad, humans bad."

Season 2's episode Kiksuya was, from the looks of it, a throwaway filler episode that to me was the best part of the whole season since it dug so deep into the history of the place from the perspective of an interesting character that didn't turn into a weird corny caricature of himself.

Max fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 18, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

socialsecurity posted:

It's weird how when people defend a show like this, they never actually say why the show is good but instead attack the person they disagree with. It happens here and the Star Trek thread.

It's hardly limited to TV threads, this forum and the internet at large are full of people making lovely personal attacks against people they disagree with

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
it feels like a completely different show now, definitely worse than s1.

the whole "it's all fake/alienation/unsubscribe" is done really badly and I would normally like this kind of thing.

It's like a dumber Devs.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

has anyone mentioned how large aaron pauls head is :eyepop:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why would Dolores even care about being shot? We know the robots can take a hell of a lot of damage and, without their programming telling them to pretend to be hurt, they can keep on ticking like nobodies' business.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why would Dolores even care about being shot? We know the robots can take a hell of a lot of damage and, without their programming telling them to pretend to be hurt, they can keep on ticking like nobodies' business.

The scenes with Bernard indicate that something more is going on.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The first episode was better than I expected. Let’s hope they stick to action and this does not devolve into a convoluted mess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

hobbesmaster posted:

The scenes with Bernard indicate that something more is going on.

The scenes set hundreds of years in the future, you mean?

Simple agrarian society living off vat grown meat and sleeping in techyurts like the Mongols of old.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm still rooting for Dolores even though I'm sure they're setting her up to lose. She's loving up rich punks right now so I like that sort of thing. Bernard's fight was fun but not into his self-hating robot stuff. I wonder what this episode would be like as someone's first episode. Maybe it'd be a mystery why this woman was being so murdery or something, that might be fun for them.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Khanstant posted:

I'm still rooting for Dolores even though I'm sure they're setting her up to lose. She's loving up rich punks right now so I like that sort of thing. Bernard's fight was fun but not into his self-hating robot stuff. I wonder what this episode would be like as someone's first episode. Maybe it'd be a mystery why this woman was being so murdery or something, that might be fun for them.

The problem is, she's also a rich punk, with a dose of god-complex arrogance to boot.

Its like watching two assholes fight, I don't really enjoy watching/want to root for either of them.

Watching Dolores running around being turbo-competent at everything is just kinda, eh.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Based off season 1, their blood does actually do something for them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

My guess would be two types of people: a) people who want to kill nazis, and b) nazis. The interactions between these two groups of guests must be interesting

see I dont give a gently caress about THE MYSTERY of season 3. Just show me some nazi gently caress in futureworld whose a rich techbro going to naziworld to get his rocks off and then being bashed like a fash

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hipster Occultist posted:

Guys, I think I need some help finding my eyes. I think they rolled out of my head at some point.

It might have been during the firefight in downtown L.A., where 3 ostensibly trained gunmen couldn't hit a woman walking (not running even) out in the open.

gently caress this show is show bad, its beautiful and I'm curious enough to want to see how it plays out, but its so loving bad.

even trying just a little bit harder would go a long way. Everyone who hasn't seen Upgrade should do so

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No idea what’s going on but I liked when Marshawn Lynch punched a naked guy while wearing a mood ring t-shirt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

No idea what’s going on but I liked when Marshawn Lynch punched a naked guy while wearing a mood ring t-shirt

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

The problem is, she's also a rich punk, with a dose of god-complex arrogance to boot.

Its like watching two assholes fight, I don't really enjoy watching/want to root for either of them.

Watching Dolores running around being turbo-competent at everything is just kinda, eh.

AFAIK she's "rich" in that she's going around taking money from rich people who raped her some time ago. In a fight between two assholes, I am still rooting for the rear end in a top hat who isn't a rapist.

I'd still watch if it was just episode after episode of her executing and loving with different rich rear end in a top hat rapists and creeps but I also know that wouldn't be a very compelling show in general just doing that.

I don't get why you see her as one of the assholes. She was created by evil capitalists to be raped, tortured, and killed and these evil capitalists were only doing that for their own ultier evil motives. Plus, she's fighting for the rights of her species and technically her species in an evolution of humans -- as a bonus, pretending there was, has, or ever could be a "good" person, those good people could be backed up into the more evolved bodies.

If they want to villainize Dolores, they need to do better than just "wants justifiable revenge against the sick freaks who built and used Westworld."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alan Smithee posted:

see I dont give a gently caress about THE MYSTERY of season 3. Just show me some nazi gently caress in futureworld whose a rich techbro going to naziworld to get his rocks off and then being bashed like a fash

I just imagine there are people going around and shooting nazis on sight. If a nazi doesn't start bleeding, that means he's a human and they just beat the poo poo out of him.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
crackheads break into construction projects to steal equipment and supplies to resell. I now want a one off episode of jessie pinkman's robo buddy being stolen, chappi'd out, and sent on a crime spree.

they said the future was boring so people needed to go to westworld for fun. Having gun play in Neo-LA was dumb, they should of gone full on Dolores melee those gaurds down instead of a hail of gun fire. How can the future be boring with a GTO crime app, the Ben Barnes character overdosed on drugs, still sounds like lots of corporate espionage. The future didnt look boring enough. We know there are hand held devices to close up cuts and prob do lots of cosmetic fix ups. The ability to grow new organs and probably do skin grafts too. Jessie Pinkman seemed bored of his life but not of the future.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

No Luck Needed posted:

crackheads break into construction projects to steal equipment and supplies to resell. I now want a one off episode of jessie pinkman's robo buddy being stolen, chappi'd out, and sent on a crime spree.

Im hoping Deloris hacks the AI and gets control of all those construction robots for her new army to kill all humans

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Khanstant posted:

AFAIK she's "rich" in that she's going around taking money from rich people who raped her some time ago. In a fight between two assholes, I am still rooting for the rear end in a top hat who isn't a rapist.

I'd still watch if it was just episode after episode of her executing and loving with different rich rear end in a top hat rapists and creeps but I also know that wouldn't be a very compelling show in general just doing that.

I don't get why you see her as one of the assholes. She was created by evil capitalists to be raped, tortured, and killed and these evil capitalists were only doing that for their own ultier evil motives. Plus, she's fighting for the rights of her species and technically her species in an evolution of humans -- as a bonus, pretending there was, has, or ever could be a "good" person, those good people could be backed up into the more evolved bodies.

If they want to villainize Dolores, they need to do better than just "wants justifiable revenge against the sick freaks who built and used Westworld."

Upsetting the status quo is villainy! Especially when you use violence to get your way. Maybe the robots should try to unionize peacefully instead?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad that, three seasons in, we still have people that can't spell Dolores.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

No Luck Needed posted:

they said the future was boring so people needed to go to westworld for fun. Having gun play in Neo-LA was dumb, they should of gone full on Dolores melee those gaurds down instead of a hail of gun fire. How can the future be boring with a GTO crime app, the Ben Barnes character overdosed on drugs, still sounds like lots of corporate espionage. The future didnt look boring enough. We know there are hand held devices to close up cuts and prob do lots of cosmetic fix ups. The ability to grow new organs and probably do skin grafts too. Jessie Pinkman seemed bored of his life but not of the future.
It's pretty exciting if you're willing to commit crimes and to face potential consequences; it's pretty boring if you're not. Westworld provided an outlet and distraction for non-criminals, similar to sports, games, books, movies, etc...

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 18, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So the rich kid was going to go to prison for doing drugs? Far fetched

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
People have mentioned it, but I appreciate that the world in Westworld doesn't feel far future. It's the world as we know it, but with some shiny gloss where rich people live, not a world where existing cities got replaced by mile high tower blocks. Plus the gig economy for crimes is a great idea. It's like rich people realized criminals created their own social structures, and they wanted everyone atomized, so here comes an app that makes crime a gig the individual can choose if they need a little extra cash instead of something they commit to.

No Luck Needed posted:

Ersatz posted:

It's pretty exciting if you're willing to commit crimes and to face potential consequences; it's pretty boring if you're not. Westworld provided an outlet and distraction for non-criminals, similar to sports, games, books, movies, etc...
Yeah. I mean, this episode + the trailer pretty much spells out that the AI is managing the entire human population in some fashion or other. Like, it's some worldwide aptitude + social credit system which probably favors people who don't rock the boat too much, even if they do get bored. Those are the people who think the world is boring, because there's basically no challenge, it's just doing what you're supposed to and you might get enough experience that the AI sends you further up the ladder. Plus, it was William who said the future was boring right? Yeah, I can see him thinking this future is boring as poo poo, given his first adventure in the park. Doing what an AI tells you is a pretty bloodless way to get ahead compared to couping your boss's heir by tying him to a horse and making him eventually kill himself.

Milo and POTUS posted:

So the rich kid was going to go to prison for doing drugs? Far fetched
Maybe there's an AI judge that's actually impartial? The whole meritocracy thing makes me think the world puts up an even more convincing facade of "fairness", while as Aaron's friend points out, the rich just cheat and circumvent the system entirely. So like, the rich kid would go to prison if the cops got their hands on him, but that would literally never happen in the first place.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 18, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think the biggest flaw with this series was Wyatt, it turned Delores into basically an entirely different character that we had no attachment to and ever since I've never got a real feel of wtf Wyatt is about.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Anthony Hopkins was the only good part of this show.

Bring him back and his cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad that, three seasons in, we still have people that can't spell Dolores.

It’s actually Duhlouris