Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So as someone who never played animal crossing but is going insane looking for poo poo to do during the Roni times, can someone sell me on this game. Is it like stardew valley? I like the idea of cute chill games

Animal Crossing is less a game and more an interior (and now exterior) design simulator. There are minimal goals, no story, no writing. It's just a chill thing to chill and do, the byob of gaming.

E:vvvvv that too. Unless you want to gently caress around with clock settings it's game that moves at it's own pace.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So as someone who never played animal crossing but is going insane looking for poo poo to do during the Roni times, can someone sell me on this game. Is it like stardew valley? I like the idea of cute chill games

I know you’ll probably get other thoughts in this thread, but I don’t necessarily think it’s perfect for self isolation. I think the best way to enjoy a game is to play about 20 minutes every single day. There is a lot of things that are time limited by the actual day and time of year so it’s almost like an advent calendar in that there are new surprises every day and your bigger goals will take a long time.

Also it’s not really a game that’s about ‘work’ in the stardew valley sense, it’s mainly about interacting with your neighbors and decorating yourself and your home.

inferis fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 18, 2020

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

Animal Crossing is less a game and more an interior (and now exterior) design simulator. There are minimal goals, no story, no writing. It's just a chill thing to chill and do, the byob of gaming.

E:vvvvv that too. Unless you want to gently caress around with clock settings it's game that moves at it's own pace.

Saying there's no writing really sells it short. There is an absolute poo poo-ton of writing in these games, it's just all mostly inconsequential. It's all flavor, and it's a big part of the charm of the experience.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaethela posted:

Nintendo for the love of god please unlock the digital copies early. Street date already broke and the world needs this game.

It's gonna be like 11:15 PM at night on Thursday and there will still be hoards of people on Twitter making GBS threads up Nintendo's tweets with "COME ON RELEASE IT EARLY"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8DoNerIPY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

it's more chill than stardew. The clock is realtime and there's no real required actions so instead of, say, waking up, spending an hour or so doing farm/town stuff, doing a little mine hunting and then having to go to bed you very literally have all day to just wander your little island town and chat with happy mice, and fish/bug hunt/etc at your leisure. The only goals they give you are general 'the raccoon needs 100,000 bells from you, whenever you'd like, and you can pay in chunks, no biggie' things (though this specific game adds what amount to daily 'challenges' that keep the chill vibe like 'catch five fish' or 'talk to three villagers' you can do for rewards). It's the OG chillout game, really, your only goal is whatever you want to do, there's zero outside pressure and...well I mean just look at it, it's an island resort where you're chilling out with pastel elephants and frogs who like cupcakes. How can that not be chill as gently caress?

Illithid Activity
Sep 5, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

Nintendo open up the Animal Crossing. Stop having it be closed.

I know this is old at this point, but I couldn't not make this.

Graphic design is my passion.

Also, could we get the animal crossing tune maker linked in the OP? Specifically this one: https://tunes.nooknet.net/
I was able to dig it up but it might be helpful for others.

Thanks for the goon tag, Infinitum! Sorry I didn't think to say please. :ohdear:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

If I had to compare Animal Crossing to non-gaming things, I guess its a bit like a toy playset of sorts, kind of like Lego or Playmobil. The game is all about collecting, buying and selling things. Its also a bit like a bonsai tree in that you start of the a basic set of assets, but is very customizable to the point where one "completed" town will be very different from someone else's, even if they started at the same time and had all the same resources available to them. The process of creating a town that you want to show off will take weeks, and people put years of effort, which is a bit like growing the bonsai tree.

That being said, the game is heavily RNG dependent, and the developers have gone out of their way to ensure this feature remains preserved (Resetti's existence and even the lack of cloud backup support might be examples of this thinking).

Unlike say Stardew Valley or other life sims, the only goals in the game are the ones you set for yourself. Don't want to fill the museum? You don't need to. Want to recreate Onett? You sure can.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 18, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ALFbrot posted:

Saying there's no writing really sells it short. There is an absolute poo poo-ton of writing in these games, it's just all mostly inconsequential. It's all flavor, and it's a big part of the charm of the experience.

No story. The original post was contrasting to stardews characters, I was just being lazy.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

cute chill games

The only one of these three criteria AC doesn't fit one hundred percent is the last one. :v:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
C'mon Nintendo

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wanted to combine Isabel and Madipoor into Isapoor but idonno...

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Just saw a new ad showing off some of the new villagers. Saw one of the Jock villagers actually lifting weights!!! :aaa:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Illithid Activity posted:

I know this is old at this point, but I couldn't not make this.

Graphic design is my passion.

Also, could we get the animal crossing tune maker linked in the OP? Specifically this one: https://tunes.nooknet.net/
I was able to dig it up but it might be helpful for others.

Thanks for the goon tag, Infinitum! Sorry I didn't think to say please. :ohdear:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Winklebottom posted:

How big is the custom design grid? Might as well fart around with designs in Excel to kill time

The grid is 32x32. Although there is a advanced design tools upgrade in the nook miles shop. Not sure if that expands it. Haven't gotten it yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Der-Wreck posted:

Just saw a new ad showing off some of the new villagers. Saw one of the Jock villagers actually lifting weights!!! :aaa:

yea the villagers have a lot more just poo poo to do now so they feel more lively. It rules.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

I wouldn't say there is no writing. The animals have a lot of personality.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm gonna name my town morioh

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I might just settle on Gran Soren.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Is it fully confirmed that grass degradation is not in this one?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kaethela posted:

Is it fully confirmed that grass degradation is not in this one?

correct

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Thank loving god for that. Having to min-max your walking to keep your town pretty was dumb as poo poo

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Oh thank christ. That was the single worst "feature" this game has ever had and I'm so goddamn glad it's gone.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I respect the spirit behind the idea.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I thought grass erosion was okay in New Leaf. I like the idea of paths dynamically appearing where you travel a lot, it was just dumb in City Folk because it didn’t regrow when you weren’t playing.

I guess it’s redundant now that we can make paths for real, though.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I got the game pre-loaded and I just started a self-isolation.

I'm ready.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I hope the stalk seller, special visitors, and shops in general will stay open longer. I won't be able to play in the morning, only in the evening, mostly after 8 in the evening and 1 in the morning. :(

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I respect the spirit behind the idea.

I don't. Especially when it's possible to destroy all of your grass making your town into a gross blob of mud. gently caress that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Snake Maze posted:

I like the idea of paths dynamically appearing where you travel a lot

Are you telling me Animal Crossing is a Strand game

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Welp, I'm kicking myself for not pre-purchasing sooner. I just got paid today, but Comcast is choking in my neck of the woods with everyone being home, and my 9 hour est. down load made it half way before getting interrupted.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone know if the eShop releases at a specific time, or is it a rolling launch at midnight in each time zone?

If the latter... omg it's only like 28 hours away D:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Are you telling me Animal Crossing is a Strand game

Is there even a single interview where anyone on the team denies it?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Drone posted:

Anyone know if the eShop releases at a specific time, or is it a rolling launch at midnight in each time zone?

Midnight est for everyone in america

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Drone posted:

Midnight Eastern.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kaethela posted:

I don't. Especially when it's possible to destroy all of your grass making your town into a gross blob of mud. gently caress that.
Yeah, that's not the spirit behind the idea. No one's disputing that it sucked in practice, especially in City Folk.

The idea is cute little foot-worn paths that look good appearing naturally in places you actually travel.

The failure of the idea was the extent to which the paths were not, in fact, cute, nor did they look good. And in City Folk they weren't even paths- it was just everywhere. That was clearly never the intention.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

6am in Europe then. That's... acceptable, that's around the time I wake up anyway.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I'm looking forward to having this game on in the background while I'm working from home, taking occasional breaks to talk to villagers or fish, and just having gentle Animal Crossing vibes in my quarantined apartment. Friday can't come soon enough...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Drone posted:

6am in Europe then. That's... acceptable, that's around the time I wake up anyway.

It's midnight local time for your eshop region except in countries that span multiple timezones like the US, they generally get it once the easternmost timezone hits midnight.

I have failed at checking out of the thread, I'm too hype.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

BattyKiara posted:

I hope the stalk seller, special visitors, and shops in general will stay open longer. I won't be able to play in the morning, only in the evening, mostly after 8 in the evening and 1 in the morning. :(

Both the airport and the nook shop are open 24 hours. Those are the only ones I've got so far.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Eiba posted:

Yeah, that's not the spirit behind the idea. No one's disputing that it sucked in practice, especially in City Folk.

The idea is cute little foot-worn paths that look good appearing naturally in places you actually travel.

The failure of the idea was the extent to which the paths were not, in fact, cute, nor did they look good. And in City Folk they weren't even paths- it was just everywhere. That was clearly never the intention.

I had some cute dirt paths for a while in my New Leaf town but it took a lot of work, and I had to maintain them by running laps around the town every day.

Then I accidentally hosed them up by time travelling and gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just made paths, lined them with blue roses, and left multiple threatening messages in my welcoming board to not loving run on the blue roses or so help me God I'm kicking you out and you won't get my Turnip prices.