Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Bamabalacha posted:

On plane waiting to escape America back to Canada. My flight started boarding an hour early, at an extreme speed I have never seen in my 34 years of pretty constant flying. No Roni screening of any kind yet though, maybe they'll be doing it on the ground in Toronto?

I just flew back on Sunday. A couple days later they enacted extra screening in customs, including asking if you have symptoms and telling you to self isolate for 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jenny of Oldstones posted:

I just flew back on Sunday. A couple days later they enacted extra screening in customs, including asking if you have symptoms and telling you to self isolate for 2 weeks.

And these extra screenings caused hours long wait times in cramped spaces at many airports in the US.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if they just change the official currency of the world into covid-19 virus then we will all be rich. sure some nerds will probably work out the exchange rates and call bullshit but its a solution ok. we're all trying our best in these difficult times.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

if they just change the official currency of the world into covid-19 virus then we will all be rich. sure some nerds will probably work out the exchange rates and call bullshit but its a solution ok. we're all trying our best in these difficult times.

BLOODCOIN

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

If it's racist to continue to blame the Chinese for loving this up at the beginning isn't it also racist to continue to blame Trump for loving this up at the beginning? Why do you hate white Americans?

trump seems to have been listening to people who know what they are talking about recently so is starting to make some correct moves. this is more difficult because in these emergency circumstances the gov't is going to take more powers and having public trust in the government is important at times like these so the people have faith that these emergency powers are being used for good instead of ill. obviously trust is low at the moment so we'll see

yes, things are starting to move in the right direction. but we can't forget that trump's initial response laid the seeds for the disaster we're seeing now. we could have been South Korea but instead we're going to be Italy/Iran. that the best outcome was being like SK was China's fault. that our current outcome is going to be Italy/Iran is Trump's fault.

also i can't parse how hating Trump means I'm racist against white Americans as he's obviously orange

also - i've said this before but i personally despise the CCP and am proud to say so whenever i can. but pinning this on "The Chinese" is such an awful thing to do right now

Mozi fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 18, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

All schools closed in the UK from Friday, apart from pupils whose parents are key workers or classed as "most vulnerable" to the disease.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

its the same few people who argue about everything just ignore it

Rage in the Quarantine

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dell_Zincht posted:

All schools closed in the UK from Friday, apart from pupils whose parents are key workers or classed as "most vulnerable" to the disease.

How long? We’ve got 3 weeks. Governor says they don’t need to make up the time off, which seems...bad

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

How long? We’ve got 3 weeks. Governor says they don’t need to make up the time off, which seems...bad

Indefinitely

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
School will likely miss the rest of the year AND next year if we're being totally honest here. Unless they come out with a vaccine soon and/or somehow figure out remote schooling on a scale we haven't tried before... Yah... Not going to happen.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The one upside of paralyzing existential dread is that it has completely wiped out my appetite. I anticipate that the bag of roasted sunflower seeds in my pantry will last well into 2036 at this rate, at which point I plan to barter what's left of it with the road warrior wasteland mutants for fuel and ammunition #planahead

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The one upside of paralyzing existential dread is that it has completely wiped out my appetite. I anticipate that the bag of roasted sunflower seeds in my pantry will last well into 2036 at this rate, at which point I plan to barter what's left of it with the road warrior wasteland mutants for fuel and ammunition #planahead

Yeah, same here. I managed to eat half of a grilled cheese sandwich today and that's it.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
This is the last time I make a wish with the monkey paw, I swear

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
can we just promote Dr Fauci to be in charge of everything already?

edit: just found out the dude is 79 years old drat. I hope he makes it, the dude is a stone cold badass

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 18, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Baller Time posted:

This is the last time I make a wish with the monkey paw, I swear

What did you wish for? Is this what it takes for Bernie to be president? Because I want off this ride the cost is too high.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah thats a spike, holy poo poo.

Here's the hosed up thing: that's not even a spike, that's just how bad things are in Italy.

I found some graphs that charted the virus' progress in Italy up to March 17 and added the March 18 numbers in, as you can see the curve is nice and smooth:

It's just going to continue going up and up, gradually increasing exponentially every day until it runs out of elderly & immunocompromised people to kill.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 18, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

tater_salad posted:

push through, it's just the starting point. Chinavirus / Roni beard will end up being pretty spectacular if you stick with it.

Stfu with this China virus poo poo already goons. It’s not funny

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I work for the municipal government in a city of 130,000. 90% of us have been sent home, all city buildings closed to the public, all event permits denied, all travel stopped.

We have a fair number of "temp" employees that work full time on indefinite contracts that don't get PTO or sick leave. The city manager thankfully has acknowledged this and declared full stop that all temp employees will keep their job, all of them will be paid for their regular number of working hours, and that all of them will receive paid admin leave for hours they can't work due to quarantine, illness, work shortage, or taking care of family. Also, none of them will be disqualified for the (extremely good) health care plan if they don't meet minimum hours. I don't like the fact that we have so many temps, and it's a structural change that needs to happen, but that's the best possible response I've seen and it makes me think I want to stick with this office for a while.

At the opposite end of this, I have a friend who is a regional manager for a photography studio that primarily has studios in mall anchor stores. He was told today that effective immediately they are to close all their stores for at least a month, and they will be receiving no pay or benefits for the entire time. It's a nightmare scenario, since the vast majority of their employees make minimum wage or just over it.

Meanwhile I'm stuck in the middle, in that my entire office is still being told to come in and work as normal. My boss thinks we'll probably be working from home either next week or the week after, but he's said it won't be a sure thing unless the county shuts down all non-essential businesses. I wish every employer was as sensible as yours, but this is really just turning into an "everyone do whatever" sort of thing.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lmao my students asked me last month why do we need to learn graphing and exponential functions.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Spanish Flu and MERS looking pretty problematic too

While we're handing out probes for people laughing at old people maybe dying, can we also hand out the same to idiots like the above denying there's anything racist about fanning the anti-East Asian hate crimes currently taking place? I think that would be pretty great.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

pixaal posted:

What did you wish for? Is this what it takes for Bernie to be president? Because I want off this ride the cost is too high.

That my brother would stop using a whole roll of toilet paper a day on his own when he visits

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

doctorfrog posted:

Any nice stuff posted in here? I thought this was sorta corporate-nice: https://www.korg.com/us/news/2020/0313/

Take a break from posting twitter things and make some very low-effort music and post that instead.
Also the minimoog app is free on the App Store. Or was a couple of days ago.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
This tweet has aged... poorly.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152?s=19

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Frank Sidebottom posted:

Spanish Flu and MERS looking pretty problematic too

Nevermind the black death

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lmao my students asked me last month why do we need to learn graphing and exponential functions.

Probably not a useful skill in the Lord of The Flies-esque future they have waiting for them.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

poverty goat posted:

Nevermind the black death

Beep boop. I cannot distinguish between discussing the geographic origin of the flu/the government that controls that area, and labeling it CHINA DISEASE loudly on tv to an audience of racist shits who will go and do bad stuff to anyone that even looks East Asian.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Probably not a useful skill in the Lord of The Flies-esque future they have waiting for them.

true but i got to show them number goes up graphs on the last day before our "two week break" and one of the kids was like that looks like an exponential function that seems bad

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

lmao

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Philthy posted:

School will likely miss the rest of the year AND next year if we're being totally honest here. Unless they come out with a vaccine soon and/or somehow figure out remote schooling on a scale we haven't tried before... Yah... Not going to happen.

This isn't calling you out for specifically, but something I'm seeing a lot and want to establish if the fault is mine.

Where is the idea that things are shutting down until there's a vaccine coming from? My impression was that the isolating and social distancing was to help medical services flatten the peak of the outbreak so they're not overwhelmed, not hide until it goes away, which yeah, it won't.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

This isn't calling you out for specifically, but something I'm seeing a lot and want to establish if the fault is mine.

Where is the idea that things are shutting down until there's a vaccine coming from? My impression was that the isolating and social distancing was to help medical services flatten the peak of the outbreak so they're not overwhelmed, not hide until it goes away, which yeah, it won't.

The latest report says there is no "flattening the curve" except "lockdown until vaccine"

https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/status/1239975682643357696

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What makes this one unique, that some think it will persist forever until actively killed?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Burt sorry I'l lknock it off

RE other posts..

IT's all scary and unknown, i really don't want to be locked down living in a hellscape for a year.. Hopefully it will not rely on eradication before it stops spreading.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grape posted:

Beep boop. I cannot distinguish between discussing the geographic origin of the flu/the government that controls that area, and labeling it CHINA DISEASE loudly on tv to an audience of racist shits who will go and do bad stuff to anyone that even looks East Asian.

thats a cute avatar. :)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

poverty goat posted:

If it's racist to continue to blame the Chinese for loving this up at the beginning isn't it also racist to continue to blame Trump for loving this up at the beginning? Why do you hate white Americans?

ideology doesn’t have racial barriers you loving idiot.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GORDON posted:

What makes this one unique, that some think it will persist forever until actively killed?

I think no one outside SK and China have done meaningful tests during a big outbreak so basically no one knows how contagious or deadly it is but the answer is "alarmingly" to both

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thread rules updated! Please read and take care of you and yours. No racist “joking”. I can’t believe I had to type that.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
LOL I just got one of those "Our response to Corona virus outbreak" emails from TurboTax. Get hosed TurboTax, you're the reason we can't have a simplified tax process like actual civilized countries have. The Fed knows what we owe or are owed, it's needlessly complicated in the US. Other countries they just sign a form at the end of the year since the government already did the calculations. And it would be that way in the US if TurboTax hadn't bought off half of Congress. So yeah they can go gently caress themselves with their fake concern.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Burt, the day you feel like you don't have to type "don't be racist" on the internet is the day you wake up to the internet being shut off for everyone.

Then you'll be typing it in MS word just out of habit.

\/ sorry to hear, bud. Best of luck to those around you.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So my wife’s best friend who had/has breast cancer, just came down with covid. Jfc she’s on chemotherapy too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

So my wife’s best friend who had/has breast cancer, just came down with covid. Jfc she’s on chemotherapy too

gently caress man thats horrible