Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Using just American numbers, 20% unemployment is much much much worse for social order and public health than a Covid.

good thing the economy isn't real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

NofrikinfuN posted:

stupid question, but how much money is available via social security?

money isn’t real so pick an amount

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Pook Good Mook posted:

I understand that. We cannot keep this up for 10 months. There's going to be more and more events like the people raiding the food truck in Barcelona and the world governments are going to come together and say "gently caress it this isn't worth it."

Flattening the curve is well and good at this point. Everyone knows intuitively we aren't going to be able to keep doing it and the moment we stop this thing is going to come back. The actual goal can't be 10 months of "flattening the curve." Using just American numbers, 20% unemployment is much much much worse for social order and public health than a Covid.

...like, i thought you were trying to say "so how long will they actually put up with this tanking economy?" which is a reasonable question

but then you said the thing about the ripping off the band-aid, which makes me think you DON'T think we should quarantine at all. i don't know what you're saying.

also, people raiding the what now?

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Bulgakov posted:

don’t worry it’s hp hovercraft u good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

even if it was a tax credit for like, 20k or whatever, since it's a tax credit doesn't that mean it's not even money we'd see until we filed our taxes next year?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

snoo posted:

I like that people are realizing this but the entire society is not "fake number" and if we let everything rot for 24 months it's just suicide.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Epic High Five posted:

even if it was a tax credit for like, 20k or whatever, since it's a tax credit doesn't that mean it's not even money we'd see until we filed our taxes next year?

Nope, it's done against a previous year's taxes, even no specific year, and "regardless of tax liability" which is just saying that we have a mechanism to send checks to people, so we'll use that.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

shovelbum posted:

I like that people are realizing this but the entire society is not "fake number" and if we let everything rot for 24 months it's just suicide.

yeah maybe the government should be functional and able to handle catastrophic situations

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I personally am betting "negative and only the doctor could give me results and he hasn't been into the office" to win, but also "they hosed up and lost the sample" and "they didn't have my name right on the sample because they saw me in the parking lot" to show

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tz0UYno7BA

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

I personally am betting "negative and only the doctor could give me results and he hasn't been into the office" to win, but also "they hosed up and lost the sample" and "they didn't have my name right on the sample because they saw me in the parking lot" to show

You got the rona

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao the hospital ships

when they parked Comfort off of Puerto Rico after the hurricane, no civilians were allowed on board

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

pathetic little tramp posted:

10,000 dollars for all + clearing 25k in credit card debt would be a great start.

Can those of us who paid their credit card off every month for the past 20 years get $35k cash then?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Eat This Glob posted:

my wife is bringing three pairs of scrubs to work every shift in case they're forced to shelter in place at the hospital :thumbsup:

Nuke plants are working plans for shelter in place for essential staff two weeks at a time

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

china is already reopening major factories and their infection rates are leveling off

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mod sassinator posted:

Can those of us who paid their credit card off every month for the past 20 years get $35k cash then?

Lol no shut the gently caress up

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

can you imagine the chaos and poo poo that will be hitting the fan when/if the panama canal closes down because everyone is too sick to work it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

load those fuckin cards up in the time between it being announced and the relief comin in you dummy

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
someone just sent me their cover of this song for me to give them advice on their track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgUgNXTYIVc

loving crucial, man

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

snoo posted:

that too. you can tell Number to go gently caress itself, i do not care about Number

we've been bailing out the "farmers" for billions, right? then i guess they owe us. have the government drop a fuckin' sack of corn on my stoop every month and i'll stay home until this poo poo isn't murdering everyone. how the govt gets us from here to there is their problem.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Marx Headroom posted:

china is already reopening major factories and their infection rates are leveling off

Yeah and they didn't "lockdown until vaccine" so we have to assume the whole place will be Italy-tier in a month if it's not already + being covered up.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

mod sassinator posted:

if I say yes, will you agree to it or will you still be mad that people aren’t getting hosed as hard?

*questions to ask boomers*

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

...like, i thought you were trying to say "so how long will they actually put up with this tanking economy?" which is a reasonable question

but then you said the thing about the ripping off the band-aid, which makes me think you DON'T think we should quarantine at all. i don't know what you're saying.

also, people raiding the what now?

From a few pages back:
https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/stat...genumber%3D1454

I guess my point is a combination of your first two sentences. People will not do this for 10 months or more. Everyone intuitively knows this. This disease just frankly isn't bad enough for people to do that. And governments are going to just stop bothering when events like the one above become more and more commonplace. And it's just a fact that a higher jobless rate means worse nutrition, worse housing, worse health, and a protracted 20% unemployment will kill or harm far more people than a mass outbreak of the virus.

So what is the actual goal of this. People will stop cooperating in a month if the goal continues to be "flattening the curve" with a disease everyone knows we won't be able to get rid of.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lol if you have a credit card. grow up

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mod sassinator posted:

"If I don't need money can I get extra money" is a pretty good summary of capitalism.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

Nope, it's done against a previous year's taxes, even no specific year, and "regardless of tax liability" which is just saying that we have a mechanism to send checks to people, so we'll use that.

no offense but what tf does this mean. is it literally just sending checks to people regardless of their taxes? if not, how do your taxes come into play? and if it is just literally sending checks to people why can't they say that?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Trying to reconcile "lockdown until vaccine is the only way" with "china is reopening factories" which you can confirm is true because if you order stuff from China it actually comes again

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

shovelbum posted:

Yeah and they didn't "lockdown until vaccine" so we have to assume the whole place will be Italy-tier in a month if it's not already + being covered up.

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1239936951823843328

its not clear that you can't manage this with contract tracing and targeted lockdowns as long as you're devoting the necessary resources to it

the goal is to get past Italy and land in SK, where we can manage at 80-90% function until targeted therapeutics/vaccines become prevalent.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

television ads are good now

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sharkie posted:

no offense but what tf does this mean. is it literally just sending checks to people regardless of their taxes? if not, how do your taxes come into play? and if it is just literally sending checks to people why can't they say that?

I don't make the rules, I just follow them when its convenient for me.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

One thing I realized after having a kid was how many people rely on their parents to assist in childcare. poo poo's gonna get real interesting post-COVID for those who'd been relying on boomers to watch their kids.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Pook Good Mook posted:

a protracted 20% unemployment will kill or harm far more people than a mass outbreak of the virus.

It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Sharkie posted:

Part of the reason the IRS does it is because they have everyone's up to date address and can ensure the check is going to someone who pays taxes already so they know how much to write the check for (assuming they means test it, which, ugh).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Called MD's office again, told them I'm waiting for results still, they said they'll "put in a message and they'll call you today"

last chance to get your bets in

if you had it they would have contacted you by now

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

mod sassinator posted:

maybe if you tried being a little more responsible with your money you wouldnt be in this situation and you'd deserve the 35k

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah you do it as a fully refundable tax credit because the IRS can already send a check to every American very easily. Political framing could be better but that's the quickest and simplest way to just give everyone cash today.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

wow so much group immunity

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Goons claiming that Trump wasn't running to the left of democrats because there was some means testing. Lmao the dems are a right wing party and love want even more testing

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
to be clear i don't know when the US will be at the point where we can replicate SK style response to this

Probably at least a month or two of massive nation wide quarantines + tons of deaths at minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism

From 2011:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3070776/