Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/davidjoachim/status/1240349356882046978

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/uscensusbureau/status/1240341201397657607
:chaostrump:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

Nah the IRS already routinely cuts checks for eitc to poor people

Lots of poor people deal in various types of nontaxed income.

edit - they deserve the same support as everyone else and tying this to taxes in any way except maybe the words "irs" are on the free check, is going to hurt them

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dustcat posted:

people haven't seen what this disease does yet, attitudes are gonna change radically in the next three weeks

sheltering in place, government takeover of food supply lines, identifying and mobilizing the people who've recovered to do essential jobs, and it could certainly be done for 10 months

most people's jobs are not essential for survival

it would need a functional government to organize this, but who knows, maybe tronc'll kick it and a savior arise

At some point isn't the response out of proportion to the disease itself?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I don’t know if God is real but if this doesn’t get through to people he should just send a meteor next time because we are loving hopeless.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

slopJoe 2020330 posted:

it sounds like you're trying to swallow this whole thing as one thought, right now. that is a bad idea. the thing is still... everything is very uncertain. chaotic. we don't know poo poo about dick.

yeah keep in mind that like... a lot of Americans are not even wise to the fact that this is a real problem yet.

The information flows WAY faster than our reactions / capacity to react to it. it's a shock phase right now. problem is, our entire economic system has been built so lean that it only takes two weeks to destroy itself

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Lol no shut the gently caress up

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Marx Headroom posted:

i believe you but if this poo poo keeps going people are going to start rethinking the way we conflate employment with access to necessities

This I completely agree with. There's a reason why countries like South Korea, Singapore, and the Nordic countries are going to come out of this better than the US or parts of Europe.

I'm not saying the things I am because I'm a fan of the current system. I'm trying to be realistic about what's going to happen given the system. I don't give a single poo poo about corporate profits or the stock market. Seems to me the best response from a stimulus and treatment perspective would just be government mandated and funded sick leave with strict enforcement against businesses they don't let employees take sick time off.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what the endgame on this is.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1240349753852006401?s=19

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thats 500,000 jobs gone

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Every COVID death at Fox News is a good death.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
anyone who considers 'ripping the band-aid off' to be an OK path forward would need to be OK with months of daily headlines saying so many hundreds of thousands of people have died that day

under better leadership this might have been a moment to reconsider what we're doing as a society and a species on this planet. instead i fear we will spiral into militarized authoritarianism as the world fragments and becomes a nasty, mean, fearful place. then global warming kills us

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sounds like roni won the debate

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

shovelbum posted:

At some point isn't the response out of proportion to the disease itself?

depends on whether you consider economic output now, at the cost of permanently shrinking the economy by killing 1-2% of the population, more important than saving those lives at the cost of a temporary reduction of economic activity

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/1240350683318099975

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

i read about one sentence and got bored. does this factor in unemployment when the federal government is taking emergency actions to help people out in that situation? because they're already doing that.

i don't think "unemployed and subsidized by the feds while we wait out this quarantine" can be directly compared to "regular boot-on-neck unemployed in our regular capitalist hellworld"

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

close my loving store goddamn you

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

And that's a roni!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dustcat posted:

depends on whether you consider economic output now, at the cost of permanently shrinking the economy by killing 1-2% of the population, more important than saving those lives at the cost of a temporary reduction of economic activity

We've never found a vaccine for anything like this before, "temporary reduction of economic activity" is different from "house arrest for 2 years, 4 years, 6 years"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/sarahkliff/status/1240299845145018368

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Does that guys name mean brown brown

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sharkie posted:

Lots of poor people deal in various types of nontaxed income.

edit - they deserve the same support as everyone else and tying this to taxes in any way except maybe the words "irs" are on the free check, is going to hurt them

I agree with what you're saying I think? I'm saying it's tied to the IRS because they already have the ability to cut everyone in the country a check right now. There shouldn't need to be any forms or paperwork or anything, just a bill that says "send $10k to everyone today" and the checks start rolling out. That's pretty much how it happened with the bush tax refunds of $300 iirc.

Means testing or tying to actual taxes paid in any way would be dumb as hell. Look for the words "refundable" in reference to a tax credit. If it's refundable, that means you can get it even if you paid $0 in taxes.

I'm not sure what other mechanism exists today for them to mass mail checks. Social security maybe? But there might be more red tape bullshit going that route.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Can those of us who paid their credit card off every month for the past 20 years get $35k cash then?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

speaking as someone who's never had CC debt because my parents instilled a deep and undefeatable anxiety in me about carrying any kind of debt, this was a most righteous probe indeed

hell if this happens I wish I could give my $25k in forgiveness to somebody else, or multiple somebody elses if needed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

What's the over/under on this being the beginning of a new era far different from the stagnation of the last 50 years or just a waste of time and no meaningful changes will come?

If things are changing, what do you predict?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

thats 500,000 jobs gone

they'll probably keep paying them for at least this initial shutdown

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/annehelen/status/1240351402615947264

twoday
May 4, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Does that guys name mean brown brown

I guess... :thunk:

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dustcat posted:

Given that capitalists have repeatedly proven willing to kill thousands in exchange for a single quarter of good Number, the answer to this should be obvious.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

eric ciaramella posted:

New ventilator factories are being built as we speak. Thank you capitalism.

All the nurses and doctors will be sick or dead by the time they are ready for use

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

shovelbum posted:

We've never found a vaccine for anything like this before, "temporary reduction of economic activity" is different from "house arrest for 2 years, 4 years, 6 years"

yeah, if there's no vaccine, then you will have to put a guy with a thermometer at every building entrance like china, and if you have a fever, you get whisked off to the testing center and from there to the corona camp if you've got it

twoday
May 4, 2005

lol if the Dutch change the policies after the entire parliament is quarantined

Oh no wait they won't be able to

lmao

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Pook Good Mook posted:

I guess I'm trying to figure out what the endgame on this is.

some part of me still thinks a miracle cure will show up next week and things will be awkward at most. normalcy bias hit me stronk

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

brugroffil posted:

I agree with what you're saying I think? I'm saying it's tied to the IRS because they already have the ability to cut everyone in the country a check right now. There shouldn't need to be any forms or paperwork or anything, just a bill that says "send $10k to everyone today" and the checks start rolling out. That's pretty much how it happened with the bush tax refunds of $300 iirc.

Means testing or tying to actual taxes paid in any way would be dumb as hell. Look for the words "refundable" in reference to a tax credit. If it's refundable, that means you can get it even if you paid $0 in taxes.

I'm not sure what other mechanism exists today for them to mass mail checks. Social security maybe? But there might be more red tape bullshit going that route.

Just so everyone's clear, regardless of means testing on the front end, you're almost certain to be taxed on the check as general income on next year's taxes.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Right but the thing about this is the Imperial study is saying that all of this is garbage and that anything but a vaccine is uncontainable and essentially telling us that SK and China are loving lying

The imperial study isn't saying that SK and China are all lying, or that supression & mitigation can't work. Go actually read it.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Few things to note:

-They acknowledge that suppression strategies being employed in SK have been sucessfull, but, britishly, question "whether they can be sustained in the long term". Well idk but I'm pretty sure aggressive testing and case-isolation are more "sustainable" than whatever the gently caress the UK is doing lol

-The paper is pretty vague about the particulars of their suppression model, in particular what "case isolation" implies. I think we need to keep in mind that "all models are wrong, but some models are useful", with the added caveat that british people are loving incredibly stupid and always extremely wrong about everything, especially re: the relative efficacy of something asians are doing that they aren't. We should probably look first to the on-the-ground reality of the situation in South Korea to assess how well that is working and the economic & societal impact.

We should also be mindful, when considering whether or not information from SK is "real" or if deaths/cases are severely under-reported, that, as one goon said "cases must be tested for but bodies are usually self-reporting". It is not plausible that SK could be in the grips of an Italy-scale exponential catastrophe yet appear as they do now.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

blue squares posted:

they'll probably keep paying them for at least this initial shutdown

its all temporary workers, since the census is constitutionally mandated they'll probably have to hire even more people after this to make sure its done quickly. Its lovely but could help ease the job marker when/if things go back to normal

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

snoo posted:

close my loving store goddamn you

sorry, if they close all the Adult Marts the country will immediately riot, guaranteed

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

"I'm gonna die at this podium doing dumbass white people poo poo! you can't stop me!"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

Just so everyone's clear, regardless of means testing on the front end, you're almost certain to be taxed on the check as general income on next year's taxes.

Oh yeah probably lol

(Just make the initial amount a bit higher than offset that)

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

All those radio ads for traveling or stores that aren't allowed to open.